Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 RS compilation thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 10:36 PM
healeyg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Where I live is immaterial. You obviously haven't noticed but we have not had Deutsche Marks for several years. The 996RSR does not cost 'close to half a mil', closer to EUR 250,000 in fact.

As far as Speed GT is concerned, inequalities in performance are adjusted through the season, better suspension design is reflected in lap times and subject to penalty and in the event of any extreme uneven performance, the specification of the cars is adjusted between races. I recall Cadillac being seriously penalised one season after a rush of blood to the head led to the drivers forgetting to sandbag and walking away from the field.

R+C
Where Porsche sells its racecars is not immaterial, given that Porshe Motorsports NA (that's North America) decides what to charge for race cars here in the US (porsche motorsports NA sales in CA can confirm this). There has been, and will continue to be, price disparity with europe and ROW irrespective of exchange rates.

BTW, by your own measure, 250k Euro is 300kUSD or $15M for 50 rides
Old 02-19-2006, 12:28 AM
crush
Advanced

Originally Posted by LUISJR993
Brumos or Champion would be a good place to start. Are Porsche dealers getting people on a list for 997 GT2's?
The one I'm dealing with is(Florida), so I wonder if any other ones are?
Old 02-19-2006, 03:55 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
The RS will be in badge only. Porsche will not test cars for DOT, Fixed seats, roll bar. Also height of the car. Maybe the RS will be the real GT3 without sun roof and such but it will not be a real RS.
As long as it is more track focused, I'll take it!! BTW I agree on the roll bar and possibly not the seats but I thought that both 996GT3 and 996GT3 RS were the same ride height even if their suspensions were totally different. So I don't think suspension/ride height will be an issue.

Lighter car, more track focused and a bit more raw than anything else offered, I want it!! I don't if the call it RS, TS, RSA, like I said, I'll take one!!
Old 02-19-2006, 02:06 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 557 Posts

No, 996 GT3 and 996 GT3 RS has different ride heights.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:44 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cosmos
You're probably right...I thought the GT3 shared ride height with the RS, was it the GT2?

Anywho...as long as the RS is a more track focused car, I'll take it...even if it's not exactly the same to ROW RS. More often then not what makes ROW cars different from USDM can be easily be change post delivery anyway...

Having said that read the list line of my signature!!
Old 02-20-2006, 08:58 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cosmos
Think it is 10mm lower, but couldn't be certain. Depends a bit on the cars setup anyway.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:03 PM
ralfabco
Advanced

It would be nice, if they just put all the trick items in the trunk, and they were listed as racing parts only. Listing the parts as racing only, could take away their liability.

- Perhaps with that, P could get away with offering the real parts for the American market. Of course less the seats etc...

I believe BMW, Ford, and Chevy have done something like that in the past ? Did'nt BMW offer a wing in the trunk ? Hopefully the square marketing types, could figure it out ! - They can forget the decals, just don't forget the racing parts.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:41 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

In the UK with the RS, the harness, fire extinguisher and front cage came in boxes.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:48 PM
healeyg
Instructor

Originally Posted by DanH
In the UK with the RS, the harness, fire extinguisher and front cage came in boxes.
thats the ticket. they should do same with the rear cage. just leave the welded-in-place mounting brackets.

I'm also all for the RS decal delete option. Too cheesy boy racer. I know theres a history with the 73RS, but who really wants it? I'd rather have a classy GT3RS badge on the rear deck and let that be the only obvious tip off.

Who's with me on the decal delete option?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:56 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by healeyg
RS decal who really wants it?
Ill take a white & blue WITH the decal.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:05 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by healeyg
Who's with me on the decal delete option?
Delete the big RS decals and don't put a model badge in back, but make the letters that GT3RS a sticker...for weight savings purposes!!
Old 02-20-2006, 04:14 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

I love the decals Looks plain in white otherwise.

Given the colours on the 997 though, I guess it may not need them although it might still work.

p.s. you don't want the rear cage in a box. They are very hard to fit without damaging the interior and it takes quite a while.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:15 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

p.s. you don't want the rear cage in a box. They are very hard to fit without damaging the interior and it takes quite a while.
Given the choice between car with cage in a box or no car at all, I'll take in a box and deal with it!!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
If you ran the RSR in Speed GT, the results would be the same because the rules endeavour to equalise performance, the RSR would just be more restricted, carry more weight, run on narrower tyres, have limited engine revs, whatever to make it have approximately equal performance. Speed GT is a marketing exercise, hugely expensive and a valuable shop front for the manufacturers. A more powerful car would not have made any difference.
I had forgotten that the RS(R) racecars no longer ran at Daytona, from memory I think they beat the DP cars overall, the first time.
Clarification is in order:
The RSR has never been run in Speed GT. They aren't allowed. You can run a Cup with the RSR engine though. I wouldn't expect Speed GT to allow a RSR in the future either.

In Grand Am you can run a 996 RS (RSR were never allowed) but you had to put the Cup car running gear and run a heavier weight and narrower tires. The rules changed after TRG won overall. I haven't studied the rules for 06 so that may not be true anylonger.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:09 AM
AlanN
Instructor

I love the decals Looks plain in white otherwise.

Given the colours on the 997 though, I guess it may not need them although it might still work.

Yep, so do I.
When I went to look at my car prior to buying it, the decals were not on it.
It looked very plain and boring and the wheels stuck out like sore thumbs

Now they're on it all looks "right" somehow.

I agree on the colours (if these are to be the same for the RS), they may well work ok with no decals, particularly like the Gulf Blue...

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 RS compilation thread