Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 RS compilation thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by healeyg
that's actually $25M of cars (they are $480k each), BUT maybe they will lower the price if they make / import more of them ?!? (the 997 cup car is $140k now w/steel brakes)

Porsche got slapped around in the Speed GT this year by GM. If you watched the final race, Porsche was set to win the mfg title, and the GM boys (corvettes + caddies) basically crashed out Wolf Henzler to get Caddilac the championship. With an RSR they would be more likely to win no matter what (they already use the RSR motor in the cup car for the Speed GT races)

BTW, Grand am runs modified street 997s (Grand Am Cup) and cup cars (Rolex), not RSRs
If anybody is paying USD480,000 ex factory for an RSR they have more money than sense. You have been misinformed as to the price. Your Cup price is approximately correct, however.
If you ran the RSR in Speed GT, the results would be the same because the rules endeavour to equalise performance, the RSR would just be more restricted, carry more weight, run on narrower tyres, have limited engine revs, whatever to make it have approximately equal performance. Speed GT is a marketing exercise, hugely expensive and a valuable shop front for the manufacturers. A more powerful car would not have made any difference.
I had forgotten that the RS(R) racecars no longer ran at Daytona, from memory I think they beat the DP cars overall, the first time.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:38 PM
healeyg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
If anybody is paying USD480,000 ex factory for an RSR they have more money than sense. You have been misinformed as to the price. Your Cup price is approximately correct, however.
If you ran the RSR in Speed GT, the results would be the same because the rules endeavour to equalise performance, the RSR would just be more restricted, carry more weight, run on narrower tyres, have limited engine revs, whatever to make it have approximately equal performance. Speed GT is a marketing exercise, hugely expensive and a valuable shop front for the manufacturers. A more powerful car would not have made any difference.
I had forgotten that the RS(R) racecars no longer ran at Daytona, from memory I think they beat the DP cars overall, the first time.
you may live in munich, and RSRs may be sold for less deutchmarks, but my understanding is that porsche na has charged close to half a mil (possibly including spares) for factory RSRs historically here in the us.

as far as the Speed GT goes, all other things equal, the RSR would be better than the Cup. The motors are the same (again, the Cup cars in 2005 were specially preped for Speed GT and were allowed the RSR motor). There is no penalty for better suspension design, only weight, engine displacement and power. they add weight during the course of the year based on YTD performace.

Last edited by healeyg; 02-18-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:43 PM
crush
Advanced

according to a respected source out of Porsche in Atlanta(marketing) there will NOT be any RS coming to the USA.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:46 PM
healeyg
Instructor

Originally Posted by crush
according to a respected source out of Porsche in Atlanta(marketing) there will NOT be any RS coming to the USA.
So, if true, why would Porsche NA be asking their dealers to take deposits and deliver signed purchase orders for the RS? Seem like a contradiction ...

Last edited by healeyg; 02-18-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:50 PM
crush
Advanced

I'm only informing you on what was informed to me by my Porsche dealer. My rep made a cal lto Atlanta(a marketing connection he has) and that's what they responded.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your respected source is really your dealer...

Seven degrees of seperation..My friend also called my friend of a friend, who happens have friends who have a friend that knows the president of porsche, I think... he said that a car is coming.

Kevin Bacon also said that the car is coming.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

So, if true, why would Porsche NA be asking their dealers to take deposits and deliver signed purchase orders for the RS? Seem like a contradiction ...
I've had two dealerships ask me if I wanted to put money down for the upcoming RS version.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:45 PM
crush
Advanced

take it as you wish,
I'm only trying to provide info that has been presented to me .
Old 02-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Sorry, didn't mean to take it out on you. Im running on 4hrs sleep in 3 days because of a newborn..

We'll all find out if the car is coming on the 28th..... I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:55 PM
crush
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Sorry, didn't mean to take it out on you. Im running on 4hrs sleep in 3 days because of a newborn..

We'll all find out if the car is coming on the 28th..... I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed.
np man, congrats on the new baby. I know exactly what you're going thru..(2 boys--5 and 2)
I wasnt able to put money down on the RS...
Old 02-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Have you talked to Brumos Porsche? I believe that it's one of the largest dealerships in the country. If anyones taking deposits for the RS Im sure that they would be.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:13 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Have you talked to Brumos Porsche? I believe that it's one of the largest dealerships in the country. If anyones taking deposits for the RS Im sure that they would be.
Brumos or Champion would be a good place to start. Are Porsche dealers getting people on a list for 997 GT2's?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:20 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RS will be in badge only. Porsche will not test cars for DOT, Fixed seats, roll bar. Also height of the car. Maybe the RS will be the real GT3 without sun roof and such but it will not be a real RS.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

you may live in munich, and RSRs may be sold for less deutchmarks, but my understanding is that porsche na has charged close to half a mil (possibly including spares) for factory RSRs historically here in the us.

as far as the Speed GT goes, all other things equal, the RSR would be better than the Cup. The motors are the same (again, the Cup cars in 2005 were specially preped for Speed GT and were allowed the RSR motor). There is no penalty for better suspension design, only weight, engine displacement and power. they add weight during the course of the year based on YTD performace.
Where I live is immaterial. You obviously haven't noticed but we have not had Deutsche Marks for several years. The 996RSR does not cost 'close to half a mil', closer to EUR 250,000 in fact.

As far as Speed GT is concerned, inequalities in performance are adjusted through the season, better suspension design is reflected in lap times and subject to penalty and in the event of any extreme uneven performance, the specification of the cars is adjusted between races. I recall Cadillac being seriously penalised one season after a rush of blood to the head led to the drivers forgetting to sandbag and walking away from the field.

R+C
Old 02-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
The RS will be in badge only. Porsche will not test cars for DOT, Fixed seats, roll bar. Also height of the car. Maybe the RS will be the real GT3 without sun roof and such but it will not be a real RS.
I think you're about 99.9% correct, which is a big shame. I've been told that it's going to be a 10-15k increase from the base GT3. I think it's more a RS America package instead of an RS for that money. 15k doesn't buy a lot, CF hood, wing, wheels maybe, RS exclusive colors...

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 RS compilation thread