Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 official specs

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 04:37 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I don't understand is why doesn't Porsche make it a la carte? Let us choose what we want in our car. That way, everyone wins.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:41 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Great point...I hope they do in the RS!!
Old 02-22-2006, 06:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,160 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Great point...I hope they do in the RS!!
Yeah, especially with the introduction of the DSG gearbox. I hope you can still choose 6-spd (and save some money too).
Old 02-22-2006, 07:47 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yeah, especially with the introduction of the DSG gearbox. I hope you can still choose 6-spd (and save some money too).
We had Larry Webster, tech editor for C & D magazine, as a guest speaker at a PCA monthly meeting two months ago. When asked about the greatest automotive technological advancement he's seen in the past few years, he said that it was Audi's DSG system, hands down. Apparently there is another two years or so left of exclusivity rights to Audi (patented system where a gear cog is "pre-engaged" before each shift)). After the patent runs out, other makes will start using similar systems, but not before.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
What I don't understand is why doesn't Porsche make it a la carte? Let us choose what we want in our car. That way, everyone wins.
Great idea but still there should be limits.

I mean look at RSAs, ok, it's not very hardcore from the beginning and far from real 964 RS but there are plenty of them with sunroof! WTF?!?!?

If Porsche did GT3 RS with the possibility of putting sunroof, pimped out fur interior, 24" spinners etc. there would be plenty of those pimped out RSs here in states.

Of course anyone can do what they want with their cars, I'm just thinking Porsche's image (there are plenty of pimped out Porsche already and new models are leaning that way fairly heavily) and next owners down the line who then are screwed with the choises (same way as today's 993 & 996 buyers are screwed up with the sunroof, here just isn't cars without them).

I'm a simple guy, I don't understand how it is so hard for a Porsche to do a "bare bones" models.
With ton of those pimped out models, why it is so hard for them to do models without all that crap.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:38 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I'm a simple guy, I don't understand how it is so hard for a Porsche to do a "bare bones" models.
With ton of those pimped out models, why it is so hard for them to do models without all that crap.
That's exactly my point except I'm ok with people having most of the options...some however should not be an option, i.e. sunroof and sat/nav in an RS or even GT3...what's next tiptronic on these models...let us track junkies get what we want...a 997 GT3RS very much like the 993 RS and 996 GT3RS!!
Old 02-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Mojimbo
Track Day

Originally Posted by keppy
3600cc
415bhp@7600rpm
405Nm@5500rpm
redline 8400rpm
unladen weight (DIN) 1395kg
Top Speed 310kph/193mph
0-62mph 4.3 seconds
0-99mph 8.7 seconds
not bad, but how come they dont make the motor bigger??

Are they saving that for 2010??
Old 02-23-2006, 12:18 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's funny that most of the comments on this thread critical of Porsche describe as their ideal vehicle the Lotus Elise. It has almost none of the "nanny" items (it does have a brake booster and ABS but these are almost superfluous), weighs nothing, lacks a sunroof (because it's a targa), and is a ball to drive. The problem is, the GT3s go by so fast pulling out of the corners and on the straights that it's like the Lotus is standing still, and it's just damned humiliating. You guys who complain about the new GT3 are nuts. Traction control basically controls inside wheelspin and not much else. If I understand PASM correctly, it's no more than pre-calibrated adjustable shocks, only you don't have to get under the car to turn the little *****. What race car doesn't have adjustable shocks? And if the sunroof really bothers you, keep it closed. I think it would be a terrific feature on a dual use car, even if it gives up a second a lap. Sorry for the rant.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:24 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Terry you seem to be missing the point. You're not the first and you won't be the last.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:44 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Well, at least I'm in good company.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:08 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, you're in the majority. Good company, that's debatable. Just kidding
Old 02-23-2006, 08:59 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

there are a lot of people who are missing the point

Track Car = GT3 Cup

Street Car = GT3 or GT 3 RS

if you try and make one car do both, you will end up with something that is unsatisfactory at either. There is no free lunch.

I am mystified by the discussion of the 997 GT3 RS, is this the Rosewall edition? The GT3 isn't officially released yet, and alreaqdy there is a horde of people bad mouthing it., many of them offering lesss than 'informed' opinion and clamouring for a car that hasn't even been announced. Some people even claim to have put down deposits on it, why? I can tell you that the people who work for car manufacturers love blowing smoke at the dealers, and you know what dealers call car 'enthusiasts', it rhymes with sucker. So getting information from dealers may not be as reliable as the crystal ball reader down at the carnie.

Some people regard the 997 as a 'run-out' model. It is normal to find lots of different special editions in these circumstances, but its mostly marketing hype.

I can absolutely promise you that if Porsche did release a car that was as track capable as a real race car that customers would bitch about it. Hopeless clutch in traffic, noisy gearbox, clunking jarring drive line shunts, squealing brakes, poor power delivery down low, droning exhaust at highway speeds.

I spoke to one of the finest Porsche tuners in Germany about building a GT3 that could just be driven up to the Nürburgring, have its wheels changed and be ready to run competitively in the Endurance races there. I was told ' In that case, we had better start with a race car, we cannot make the street car competitive'.

Be very careful what you wish for.......

R+C
Old 02-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
there are a lot of people who are missing the point

Track Car = GT3 Cup

Street Car = GT3 or GT 3 RS

if you try and make one car do both, you will end up with something that is unsatisfactory at either. There is no free lunch.

I am mystified by the discussion of the 997 GT3 RS, is this the Rosewall edition? The GT3 isn't officially released yet, and alreaqdy there is a horde of people bad mouthing it., many of them offering lesss than 'informed' opinion and clamouring for a car that hasn't even been announced. Some people even claim to have put down deposits on it, why? I can tell you that the people who work for car manufacturers love blowing smoke at the dealers, and you know what dealers call car 'enthusiasts', it rhymes with sucker. So getting information from dealers may not be as reliable as the crystal ball reader down at the carnie.

Some people regard the 997 as a 'run-out' model. It is normal to find lots of different special editions in these circumstances, but its mostly marketing hype.

I can absolutely promise you that if Porsche did release a car that was as track capable as a real race car that customers would bitch about it. Hopeless clutch in traffic, noisy gearbox, clunking jarring drive line shunts, squealing brakes, poor power delivery down low, droning exhaust at highway speeds.

I spoke to one of the finest Porsche tuners in Germany about building a GT3 that could just be driven up to the Nürburgring, have its wheels changed and be ready to run competitively in the Endurance races there. I was told ' In that case, we had better start with a race car, we cannot make the street car competitive'.

Be very careful what you wish for.......

R+C

Thank God for that we have a "Mr. I know it All" like you on these boards. what happend to freedom of speech and opinion?!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Thank God for that we have a "Mr. I know it All" like you on these boards. what happend to freedom of speech and opinion?!
Given your reaction, freedom of speach is something you seek to curtail.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:16 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

NS - I don't think anyone fails to understand that these things are a compromise, but the compromise appears to have moved more to the centre ground which plenty of us find disappointing on their edgey models. I'm sure it will be a fine car though.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 official specs