Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 08:45 PM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by quartermile
Let's go over the details:

The GT3 doesn't need the Magnesium cradle, because the MOTOR weighs half as much at comparable outputs, and revs to 8350RPM.
It is really moot whether or not you think the GT3 "needs" a magnesium engine cradle, carbon body panels, 6 piston brakes, etc. The point is GM is putting real effort into making the Z06 a world beater, why not just respect them and the car for what it is?
By the way, do you know how much the Z06 engine weighs in comparison to the GT3 engine?

purchased at NAPA autoparts. Compare that with F1 technology carbon brakes available on the GT2/GT3 and some F cars.
NAPA? Really? Don't start on "F1 technology carbon brakes," they've already proven to be virtually worthless on the track in GT2/3 guise. By the way, GM has said that ceramic brakes were considered as an option, but scrapped them because they didn't hold enough value for the money.

Technology from the truck division with enough torque to pull a house and knock you off the road with the slightest input error.
Funny, my GT2 has that same characteristic...

Trading off driver protection and safety for excessive motor weight. Nothing to protect when knocked off the road as discussed above.
You continue to state it is a safety risk without any basis whatsoever. Do you have any evidence, other than opinion, that the Z06 has a safety defect?

Well what do you do as an encore when you invented the GT3! I think both the CGT and Cayenne are marvelous engineering. If you can't afford to buy the best then STFU and go drive a Vette.
You think a 5500 lb SUV that gets 8 mpg when driven hard is an encore for the GT3?! Whoa. Not everyone buys a Porsche simply because they can afford it. The ones that do just perpetuate the Porsche owner stereotype.

I am not trying to start an argument, I just don't understand why you bash the Z06 whenever someone mentions its positive attributes. Overweight engine, unsafe in a crash, NAPA brakes, all these baseless assertions just sound like sour grapes to me...
Old 01-19-2005, 08:49 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey quartermile, bench racing is fun, but how often do you track your gt3 and did you think the lowly c5 z06 was inferior when it lapped you?

truth is, they're both close performance-wise. a gt3 will be better over several laps because of the 'vette's known weaknesses (brakes, trans and radiator cooling). i'll bet the c6 z06 will smoke a mk II gt3. i happen to like porsches more and won't buy a 'vette, but the z06--c5 or C6--is nothing to sneeze at. fwi, high-technology in and of itself, will not make you faster. i've had my *** handed back to me by a 35-yr-old mustang gt350 clone, in fact he was quicker at big willow, than every porsche that day--including gt3s and tts.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fahren affair
hey quartermile, bench racing is fun, but how often do you track your gt3 and did you think the lowly c5 z06 was inferior when it lapped you?

truth is, they're both close performance-wise. a gt3 will be better over several laps because of the 'vette's known weaknesses (brakes, trans and radiator cooling). i'll bet the c6 z06 will smoke a mk II gt3. i happen to like porsches more and won't buy a 'vette, but the z06--c5 or C6--is nothing to sneeze at. fwi, high-technology in and of itself, will not make you faster. i've had my *** handed back to me by a 35-yr-old mustang gt350 clone, in fact he was quicker at big willow, than every porsche that day--including gt3s and tts.
Well I bought a GT3 for the street. I have no trouble keeping up with a C5 in my 6speed C230.

For track use there are far better choices including the example you gave already. I will take your bet though. Big Willow, you in stock C6 Z06 vs. me "Bench racer" in GT3 with a few mods. How about $10K to make it interesting?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:50 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Hey michael quartermiler 4runner driver noobie:

Old 01-19-2005, 10:09 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I bought a GT3 for the street. I have no trouble keeping up with a C5 in my 6speed C230. For track use there are far better choices including the example you gave already. I will take your bet though. Big Willow, you in stock C6 Z06 vs. me "Bench racer" in GT3 with a few mods. How about $10K to make it interesting?
Mio figlio, are you afraida of the C6 Z06? Are you now realizzazione that you spenta too mucho soldi, and boughta the wronga machina? I thinka you ara difendere your acquisto decisione causa altrimenti jou mighta have to ammetta that forse jou were wrong. il fatto è, che voi no conoscono che cosa lei che parla
Old 01-20-2005, 12:45 AM
Mikey
Racer

Oh yeah, I will shut up. Let's watch a movie instead:

http://www.thatwasrandom.com/video/f...ette_crash.wmv
Old 01-20-2005, 12:52 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Yeah, that was definitely the car's fault. The driver's ineptitude had nothing to do with it.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Oh yeah, I will shut up.
Do you promise? and should we trust your promise?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:21 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

I've mentioned this before, but I really hope Porsche makes the GT3 a z06 killer since that chevy seems to cast a shadow over every 997 gt3 discussion. Competition is a good thing.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:09 AM
GTGTGT
Instructor

WOW - What a heated thread! The Corvette movie is just scary. The sound when the people watching get hit is terrible...Obviously as has been stated many times before and it proven true. The driver makes the difference. I drove both the Z06 vette (not the new one opf course) and I have owned three Porsches. The thing that I did not like about the vette was that everything felt vague and disjointed. The steering, brakes, gear box, accelerator. The vette is an awesome machine on paper. I guess it really comes down to driver preferance.

A CHALLENGE. After an experienced driver drives both cars in multiple venues, then let's hear the feedback?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:51 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

A CHALLENGE. After an experienced driver drives both cars in multiple venues, then let's hear the feedback?

Maybe the results of 'One Lap of America' are a reasonable way of seeing how these things stack up too? This years results won't have a C6, but next will, so we'll see then how it stacks up against all comers. Personally I can't wait for a go in a new ZO6, I'm sure it'll be a blast to drive!!http://www.onelapofamerica.com/

Last edited by macfly; 01-20-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:11 AM
tdf360
Pro

F430 = more bling for sure, not faster than a 360CS
Well, no, not really. The CS has R compound tires, which are generally worth 2 or 3 sec/lap, and is still only .75 sec/lap quicker at Fiorano. The 430 is almost certainly the faster car.

Gary
Old 01-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Radar
Instructor

Originally Posted by tdf360
Well, no, not really. The CS has R compound tires, which are generally worth 2 or 3 sec/lap, and is still only .75 sec/lap quicker at Fiorano. The 430 is almost certainly the faster car.
Gary, as the Pope said above, quartermile doesn't know what he's talking about.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:58 PM
DonneyJ
Instructor

I hope the people were OK
Old 01-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Mikey
Racer

Default DISCLAIMER

Originally Posted by Radar
Gary, as the Pope said above, quartermile doesn't know what he's talking about.
Let me first say that I admire the F430 but have not personally assessed its strengths or weaknesses. The statement was quoting another Rennlister that owns a 360CS "the F430 is essentially 360CS mechanicals with 50hp extra power but also 300lbs more weight"

Ben_LJ may be you can chime in on this one

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 vs. ?