Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Garmin Cataylst Mounting location

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 01:27 PM
Eurofunction
Track Day

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Garmin Cataylst Mounting location

I made the jump to solo run group in DE last summer so I bought myself a Garmin cataylst so I can get some basic data to look at. Wondering what others are doing for mounting solutions?

I placed mine suctioned to passenger side lower corner and it works there but slightly blocks some apex views and I can't reach it when my harness is tight (probably for the better). In addition to that I am also nervous about running a curb and having it fly out of the window (yes I know I can get the cage mount).

The car is still a street car for now so i'd like to avoid drilling holes all over the dash/center console etc. Any advise or solutions that work for you would be awesome!

PFC

Old 06-27-2024, 06:27 PM
Belinko
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

that's the problem with the garmin its huuuge (good and bad)

I don't have one, but thought of potentially pulling the radio and installing a modified delete panel with the garmin or AIM in that location for a cleaner install.

I'm using track addict app on my phone and external gps, good enough for me for now and mounted from the lower center of windshield.
Old 06-27-2024, 06:53 PM
sirringo
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts

Suction cup to the PCM screen? Have seen 992s do this with no issues.
Old 06-28-2024, 04:13 PM
Eurofunction
Track Day

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sirringo
Suction cup to the PCM screen? Have seen 992s do this with no issues.
I've seen some of the cayman guys do this too. I havent heard any negative results but it still makes me nervous that its going to brake something but if people are really doing this and not braking or damaging the touch screen then I guess thats a decent solution
Old 06-30-2024, 08:48 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Instrument Mounting Option

I put an AIM system in, but you could probably mount a Catalyst the same way.

The wart pops out by using a plastic trim tool. Chrono disconnects with one plug. I got a replacement wart housing ($50 bucks? do not remember, but not too expensive EDIT-$215 at Suncoast). I used metal, nuts and bolts to connect the screen mount to the spare wart housing - no chance that it will move. It is in easy reach wearing a 6-point harness and HANS. You have power inside the dash, and could permanently mount the camera and route the wires out of sight. Have plugs under the wart, and you can convert from street to track in about two minutes.

WART REMOVAL

WART REMOVAL

UNPLUG CHRONO

MOUNT SCREEN TO SPARE WART HOUSING

Last edited by facelvega; 06-30-2024 at 09:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by facelvega:
Eurofunction (07-03-2024), HawkerDriver (07-02-2024), SupraSaiyan (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 11:16 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 521 Posts

I do just to the right of the rearview, but have always kind of disliked it because of the obstruction. Never thought to try mounting on PCM screen. Will give that a shot. Also had the thought that one of those iPhone mounts that slots in between PCM and trim might work with some modification . . .
The following users liked this post:
Chalk992911S (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 07:49 PM
Chalk992911S
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
I do just to the right of the rearview, but have always kind of disliked it because of the obstruction. Never thought to try mounting on PCM screen. Will give that a shot. Also had the thought that one of those iPhone mounts that slots in between PCM and trim might work with some modification . . .
Hi All,

I recently moved from track addict over to the Garmin catalyst. Right now it’s mounted as low as it can be to the center windshield and I don’t care for that location. I kicked around the idea of mounting it to the factory PCM screen, but was worried about damaging it. Is the screen actual glass, so no need to worry? Is anyone successfully using this location? Thanks!

Shoot - just realized this was the 997 forum, thought it was the 992.

Last edited by Chalk992911S; 08-26-2024 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Garmin Cataylst Mounting location