Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Caliper rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 12:13 AM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Body In White
If you have any cosmetic issues with the calipers, you’re likely better off to send them out to PMB and have them fully restored. I had them do a couple sets of calipers for me last summer. They do incredible work. Plan accordingly though, your car will be on jack stands for weeks.

Yeah these look mint. More details on the refurb costs and parts/services included?
Old 06-17-2024, 12:34 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

Update,

Got everything back together and the brakes work fine but not as firm as I remembered PCCB's. I also got GIANT red light on the dash (brake pad sensor). Lifted the car back up and realized I busted the sensor the was wiretied out of the way. I also bled the brakes again and got a little air out of 2 of the calipers. I stripped the wire back on the sensor and tied them together in an attempt to bypass the sensors, since I am not using them. Warning light is still there. My question is twofold, will tying the wires together actually keep the warning light away and what is required to rest the warning light. I did order a new sensor wire so this is not all about saving $15.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-20-2024, 02:18 PM
ard
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 106 Posts

@my first 911 glad to hear you got everything back together. I am curious how hard it was to reinstall the dust boots and I ask because when I recently overhauled the calipers on another car I found it very challenging to seat the dust boots in the grooves in the caliper. I folded the dust boot over backwards so I could seat the dust boots in the caliper grooves but it took a lot of tries to both keep the rest of the boot on the piston and get the lip into the groove.
Old 06-20-2024, 11:03 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ard
@my first 911 glad to hear you got everything back together. I am curious how hard it was to reinstall the dust boots and I ask because when I recently overhauled the calipers on another car I found it very challenging to seat the dust boots in the grooves in the caliper. I folded the dust boot over backwards so I could seat the dust boots in the caliper grooves but it took a lot of tries to both keep the rest of the boot on the piston and get the lip into the groove.
I had similar issues. Kind of hard to explain but 2 of the boots folded back 100% and the other 2 ( I only did one rear caliper so far) would only fold back to the last ridge before popping off. I believe the two that didn't fold back all the way were actually easier to seat. Pretty big learning curve on these things.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-21-2024, 05:53 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by my first 911
Update,

Got everything back together and the brakes work fine but not as firm as I remembered PCCB's. I also got GIANT red light on the dash (brake pad sensor). Lifted the car back up and realized I busted the sensor the was wiretied out of the way. I also bled the brakes again and got a little air out of 2 of the calipers. I stripped the wire back on the sensor and tied them together in an attempt to bypass the sensors, since I am not using them. Warning light is still there. My question is twofold, will tying the wires together actually keep the warning light away and what is required to rest the warning light. I did order a new sensor wire so this is not all about saving $15.

Thanks,
Dave
So in summary and to close out this project. My brake pad sensor warning light was caused by one of the wires getting pinched between the caliber and spindle, thus breaking the circuit. In the end, I cut all the wires for the sensors and tied the 2 wires together (making a completed loop). Went for a spirited drive today and eventually all of the warning lights reset themselves. I was surprised it wasn't immediate but the good news is they reset themselves eventually.
The following 2 users liked this post by my first 911:
Ohio Performance (06-22-2024), RAudi Driver (06-22-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 11:18 AM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
These are painted and not powdercoated?
Yup, painted. And they get the important little details right (larger size “PORSCHE” logo on the front calipers vs. rear, etc.)

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
Yeah these look mint. More details on the refurb costs and parts/services included?
They fully disassembled the calipers, repainted and rebuilt with new parts, (pucks, seals & bleeder screws.) Cost was ~$1100 for all 4 calipers. I’ve had them do 3 sets of calipers for me, very happy every time.
Old 06-23-2024, 01:51 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 608 Posts

Yup, painted. And they get the important little details right (larger size “PORSCHE” logo on the front calipers vs. rear, etc.)

They fully disassembled the calipers, repainted and rebuilt with new parts, (pucks, seals & bleeder screws.) Cost was ~$1100 for all 4 calipers. I’ve had them do 3 sets of calipers for me, very happy every time.
I totally agree… and did the opposite trying to be tricky.

I decided to have mine powder coated for resilience since the forged temp thing doesn’t really apply to a non-structural component like this.

1) I had to find the powder match, over 20 yellows ordered from prismatic and wasn’t obvious

2) had to find a good powder coater because you can’t use vinyl logos like you do under your paint clear - so you have to 1/2 bake the first layer - spray the logo in stencil in front back offset size - then clear and full bake (my guy found it fun otherwise good luck finding someone)

3) lots of spots that can’t be powdered like the bolt housing, thanks to a rennlister i fixed that
after

4) the the brake fluid connector pipe on the bottom of the calipers cannot be super heated as it has a composite sleeve to hold it in place, so you have to paint that anyway.

5) then rebuilding the calipers yourself is its own thing, don’t scratch the pucks on removal or $$, buy tools you don’t already own, watch a lot of YouTube (I think I have a video on here somewhere actually)

it was interesting… would I do it again… nah

Last edited by Wonderdan; 06-23-2024 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2024, 02:11 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 169 Posts

Dan, That sums up my calculation exactly... and you all know I'm not afraid of a DIY
Old 06-23-2024, 02:33 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 608 Posts

Dan, That sums up my calculation exactly... and you all know I'm not afraid of a DIY
yep that’s my advice… do all your cars while this guy is still alive and well, it’s a rarity to have all that in one place.

The last thing you want is a set of 1/2 a$$ redone calipers with messed logo size and who knows what yellow color, giving a GT car caliper rebuild to a random would also make me nervous… kinda like my transmission, while Bill Radar is still in business I had them tear into that thing…

Last edited by Wonderdan; 06-23-2024 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Body In White (06-23-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 01:15 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Just a recommendation, PMB has a long history of quality work with classic car brakes... another option is https://hayworthracingbrakes.com

Quick Reply: Caliper rebuild