Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help!! - 997.1 GT3 DME - Huh??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2023 | 10:06 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 209 Posts

Looks pretty good. It’s a euro spec car so you get some stuff that the NA market never got. The main items i would look into are engine and gearbox and paint/body work. Unless pricing is well below market, look at compression/leakdown, cam deviation values, and it looks like you have over revs covered.

Gearbox should be easy to evaluate - look for synchro wear, noises, etc.

have the body looked over and paint metered for paint work and look at the wear and tear throughout.

If it checks out, figure a reasonable discount for the grey market status and likely extensive track history. That’s really subjective so whatever is reasonable to you. None of these cars are perfect, so it’s just a matter with what you’re personally comfortable with in terms of condition. Expect to spend some money on it once/if you get it - they’re 12-15 yr old cars at this point.

Old 11-30-2023 | 10:32 PM
Joe Cho
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 253 Posts

Looks pretty good cleaned up. We need eagle eye @RAudi Driver to inspect
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Cho:
RAudi Driver (12-01-2023), Robocop305 (12-01-2023)
Old 11-30-2023 | 11:41 PM
SiNzz
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Also in Canada and picked up a Clubsport. I echo many of the same comments here. Put it through a thorough PPI and be ready to walk away if there are sufficient red flags or the pricing is as a pristine collector car. Good luck!

I will say though that the seats are mega. They're works of art, incredible bolstering, and very comfortable. All my prior 997 GT3 experiences were in the North American sports seats, and after experiencing the buckets, no way I could ever go back. They make a huge difference in terms of feel of engagement with the car.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (12-01-2023)
Old 11-30-2023 | 11:59 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Pretty sure those are replica seats...
Old 12-01-2023 | 12:45 AM
SiNzz
Instructor

How do you tell?
Old 12-01-2023 | 04:06 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,015 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Cho
Looks pretty good cleaned up. We need eagle eye @RAudi Driver to inspect
Ha, I'll take a look in the morning.
Old 12-01-2023 | 04:16 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,015 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Pretty sure those are replica seats...
I don't think the replicas have the same seat fore aft adjustment handle. That looks like a factory handle and the stitching, even though it's a terrible quality picture, looks to be in the right place with the right type of stitch pattern. It's hard to sell with the crappy pics though.
Old 12-01-2023 | 07:14 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

FWIW, several of the $200,000 and up cars that have sold on BaT were ex track rats. I know one that is about to go up that was tracked quite hard. After pulling the PPF and doing a full detail the car is very nice. Back when these cars were new a lot of people were tracking them. Different time, different buyers than today's GT3. If the DME checks out and the paint is factory and in good shape then you should have a good car. The CAE shifter might have saved those range 6 overrevs.
Robocop305 (12-01-2023)
Old 12-02-2023 | 12:39 AM
MrDeuce
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys! Car is priced at somewhat of a discount so hoping that no major red flags pop up during the inspection and compression testing, etc. I hear ya @lawrence1 and @RobT 394 RE: age of these cars now so am not expecting a trailer queen here. I don't want to be scared to drive the thing because it is so immaculate. Nothing irks me more than all these 10+ year old cars with like 1,000 miles on them. Let someone else drive that thing! And yeah, if it needs some work (so long as it isn't tens of thousands) here and there... fine... You have to pay to play... right?

Appreciated your comments @SiNzz and curious if we're at anywhere near close... would love to see your ride! For me, I've always been more of a analog driver than having the car be wicked fast and do everything for me. I've considered a 992 Carrera T, a 991.2 GT3, a GT4 (either gen, although I prefer the OG) or a 997 GT3 (again, either gen, but I prefer the OG). While all cars are great in their own right I'm sure (haven't driven them all - unfortunately) I found myself constantly coming back to the 997.1. Of the bunch, it seems like the perfect blend of usable performance, analog feel, tactile steering as well as enough car to scare yourself while still being a car that YOU drive. I want sound, I want "feels", something you can play with, something that loses traction, something that is closer on the side of dangerous vs safe - if any of that makes sense. LOL
Old 12-02-2023 | 01:39 AM
SiNzz
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrDeuce
Thanks for all the input guys! Car is priced at somewhat of a discount so hoping that no major red flags pop up during the inspection and compression testing, etc. I hear ya @lawrence1 and @RobT 394 RE: age of these cars now so am not expecting a trailer queen here. I don't want to be scared to drive the thing because it is so immaculate. Nothing irks me more than all these 10+ year old cars with like 1,000 miles on them. Let someone else drive that thing! And yeah, if it needs some work (so long as it isn't tens of thousands) here and there... fine... You have to pay to play... right?

Appreciated your comments @SiNzz and curious if we're at anywhere near close... would love to see your ride! For me, I've always been more of a analog driver than having the car be wicked fast and do everything for me. I've considered a 992 Carrera T, a 991.2 GT3, a GT4 (either gen, although I prefer the OG) or a 997 GT3 (again, either gen, but I prefer the OG). While all cars are great in their own right I'm sure (haven't driven them all - unfortunately) I found myself constantly coming back to the 997.1. Of the bunch, it seems like the perfect blend of usable performance, analog feel, tactile steering as well as enough car to scare yourself while still being a car that YOU drive. I want sound, I want "feels", something you can play with, something that loses traction, something that is closer on the side of dangerous vs safe - if any of that makes sense. LOL
I'm in Vancouver and would be happy to show you the car (though it's hibernating at the moment).
Old 12-02-2023 | 01:32 PM
MrDeuce
Track Day

Compression test is in. Readings as follows:
1 - 125 psi. 2 - 129 psi. 3 - 125 psi. 4 - 122 psi. 5 - 122 psi. 6 - 125 psi

Readings seem consistent (within ~5%). Good. But ~125psi overall... I was thinking they would be closer to 160-170? Anyone else seen similar ratings on their 997? Trying to assess if I should be overly concerned or not about this.
Old 12-02-2023 | 05:56 PM
MrDeuce
Track Day

Seems like consensus from the Interwebs is that consistency is key vs a specific number since there are so many variables (elevation, WOT, dry/wet, hot/cold) that can mess with the numbers. Looking online globally these days I see a few GT3's across the pond that have 150K, 175K and 190K+ kms on them so the old Metzger seems pretty robust. Will definitely take me longer than I'll even own the car to reach those figures so I think I'm OK. LOL
Robocop305 (12-03-2023)
Old 12-02-2023 | 07:09 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Any chance you can get a leak down? To me it is far more valuable than compression. That said, the numbers look good. Consistency over the actual number as you stated is the way to go. These motors and transmissions are bullet proof. While the motors rev high, they are not overly high strung and should provide many miles. And if for some reason there is an issue it can be fixed. Plenty of folks know how to work on them.
It looks like a really nice car with a somewhat unique color combination. Red is perfect for a GT3. Really shows off the aggressiveness of the lines and stance.
Robocop305 (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023 | 01:29 AM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 209 Posts

Those compression numbers look low but I’ve not compression tested one of these engines before and don’t have the factory literature to see if an acceptable range is provided by Porsche. A leakdown test would be worthwhile as well.

with both of these tests, make sure you trust the shop doing them.

maybe someone can chime in with that the service manual shows in this area.

Quick Reply: Help!! - 997.1 GT3 DME - Huh??