Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Challange Stradale

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 12:30 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Challange Stradale

Do any 997.2 GT3/RS owners also own a Challange Stradale? If so, please DM me. I have a few questions. Thanks!

Popular Reply

05-22-2024, 11:47 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 94 Posts

As a recent owner to a CS (or any Ferrari)...the car is intoxicating. It had been a grail status car since new, and after 12 yrs of different Mezger GT2/3/3.6RS/3.8RS/SW3.9, I can say CS feels as special as any. The car is an event every time you get in. There are lots of similarities in driving experience to my current 996gt3 that's modified with cup car and clubsport bits. The rawness, the steering and feedback, handling, stiff ride quality. It's very clear the track focus DNA. Sound is another world even in stock form, but aside from the F1 trans, both cars are more similar than not IMO.

But I gotta say, jumping into the CS is more of an occasion than the gt3...maybe it's cause I'm still in the honeymoon phase. The sound the car makes even cruising between 3-4k is intoxicating. It's a great combo to a Mezger gt3/RS. Neither one is a substitute for the other.

Gratuitous pics...re-creating Top Gear circa 2004 (for those that know)

Old 10-07-2023, 09:23 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Yes, Stradale and Scuderia. Scud is a dud in comparison.
Just like .1RS vs .2RS
.1 is more raw and better experience.

Go with the Stradale.
The following users liked this post:
madmurdock (10-08-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 11:33 AM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 169 Posts

Check out @997_gawd on IG he has both.
madmurdock (10-08-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 12:55 PM
wsf80
Track Day

Received 30 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a CS and a 997.2 GT3RS. The CS is a great car, it feels big compared to a GT3RS, though. The transmission is a bit clunky. Sounds are amazing. It’s the right amount of power to be able to use on the street. It felt a little bit fragile compared to the GT3RS.
Old 10-07-2023, 03:19 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 221 Posts

Owned in the past, not currently and as I sold it……still annoyed I ever sold the CS. Loved that car!
The following 3 users liked this post by luv2race:
Highline-Autos.com (10-09-2023), madmurdock (10-08-2023), Steve Theodore (10-14-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 03:41 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by vma1788
Check out @997_gawd on IG he has both.
His is 6 speed swapped, though. Perfection.
Old 10-07-2023, 05:52 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 370 Posts

For me this question comes down to your resources and intended use of the car. When I was shopping for my first exotic I hitched a ride in a CS. Sounded insane. Looked insane. Insane "street cred." Also loved how rare they are (I'm a sucker for rare cars), and obviously it has a downright legendary status. But also super expensive (for me), and also not cheap to maintain. When things go wrong, things can add up REAL fast. This is not like our beloved mezgers where if something non-engine/transmission related needs refreshing, parts shared from 987/997 carrera platform are interchangeable and can ususally be sourced on the cheap (stuff like hvac components, switch gear, radiator fans, weather stripping, windshields, washer bottles, etc... LOL). Sure, mezgers are just as pricey if you have to dig into an engine or transmission, but that's just not required all that often, even with tons of hard use.

But at the end of the day I passed primarily is because it felt similar in speed/grunt to my lightly modded 996 gt3. That may not have been 100% accurate as I was going off my (highly tuned) butt dyno, but for me they felt "too close." And then add in a very complex and often temperamental f1 transmission that is great during spirited driving but pretty "meh" during normal driving, the increased maintenance expense, and lack of manual gearbox to keep my interest, I decided to go for something different. Now, If I had enough money that I didn't have to VERY carefully prioritize my car purchases for my modest four sports car stable, then heck yeah...it has a ton going for it.

With that said I do own a scud to compliment my 3.9 996 gt3 (which is just under 3,000lbs with no driver and features the 3.89 ring and pinion from the 7.2rs), and I feel that the 430 fits very well in my stable. It fits a niche that my other cars don't. First, its the fastest car I own. By alot. Mine is lightly modded (headers, exhaust, filters), and it would sweep the floor with my 996 gt3 (and I'm a definite 996/997 gt3 fanboy). It will also beat a 991 gt3 in a straight line pretty handily, and is actually pretty close to a 991.2 in terms of straight line acceleration. Based on videos I've seen, its basically dead even with a 997.1 gt2, which is pretty cool for a v8 high-revving na engine. The sound is insane too (not as good as the CS, but pretty close unless you are very picky). It also fits that need (from time to time) when I don't mind being a bit flashy (the gt3 is obviously super under the radar to all but gear heads and enthusiasts).

Finally, I love my scud but from my experience (and the experiences of a few buddies) Ferraris of this era just aren't put together like a Porsche. Even garage queens can have weird/serious issues of the type not likely to afflict a mezger. F1 issues get expensive and can leave you stranded, variator solenoids get contaminated with oil and foul ECU's, failing TB's can also roast the ECU, high heat and many heat cycles wreak havoc on rubber/plastics in the engine bay, thermal expansion can crack exhaust welds and components over time, switches get gooey, heat exchangers for the gearbox fail dumping coolant in the gearbox (buddy is dealing with this now), etc.... Again, not ripping on f-cars....I love them and own one...and nothing really beats them for the raw emotion and feelings they provoke....which is the main reason I can't see myself every selling my scud. It really is as close to a street "race car" that I've ever experienced in any factory offering, and the shifts are literally race car insane!

Anyway, just my two cents. I definitely feel the CS compliments a 7-3 very well, if you have the means and that is the experience you are shooting for! Finally, if you have the itch I'd say go ahead and scratch it! It probably won't go away (It didn't for me!). Good luck!
The following 4 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
brontosaurus (10-09-2023), mchrono (10-10-2023), Steve Theodore (11-11-2023), Tompoodie (10-21-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 06:50 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wsf80
I had a CS and a 997.2 GT3RS. The CS is a great car, it feels big compared to a GT3RS, though. The transmission is a bit clunky. Sounds are amazing. It’s the right amount of power to be able to use on the street. It felt a little bit fragile compared to the GT3RS.
Much appreciated. Surprised to hear the 3RS felt much smaller.
Old 10-08-2023, 07:01 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
For me this question comes down to your resources and intended use of the car. When I was shopping for my first exotic I hitched a ride in a CS. Sounded insane. Looked insane. Insane "street cred." Also loved how rare they are (I'm a sucker for rare cars), and obviously it has a downright legendary status. But also super expensive (for me), and also not cheap to maintain. When things go wrong, things can add up REAL fast. This is not like our beloved mezgers where if something non-engine/transmission related needs refreshing, parts shared from 987/997 carrera platform are interchangeable and can ususally be sourced on the cheap (stuff like hvac components, switch gear, radiator fans, weather stripping, windshields, washer bottles, etc... LOL). Sure, mezgers are just as pricey if you have to dig into an engine or transmission, but that's just not required all that often, even with tons of hard use.

But at the end of the day I passed primarily is because it felt similar in speed/grunt to my lightly modded 996 gt3. That may not have been 100% accurate as I was going off my (highly tuned) butt dyno, but for me they felt "too close." And then add in a very complex and often temperamental f1 transmission that is great during spirited driving but pretty "meh" during normal driving, the increased maintenance expense, and lack of manual gearbox to keep my interest, I decided to go for something different. Now, If I had enough money that I didn't have to VERY carefully prioritize my car purchases for my modest four sports car stable, then heck yeah...it has a ton going for it.

With that said I do own a scud to compliment my 3.9 996 gt3 (which is just under 3,000lbs with no driver and features the 3.89 ring and pinion from the 7.2rs), and I feel that the 430 fits very well in my stable. It fits a niche that my other cars don't. First, its the fastest car I own. By alot. Mine is lightly modded (headers, exhaust, filters), and it would sweep the floor with my 996 gt3 (and I'm a definite 996/997 gt3 fanboy). It will also beat a 991 gt3 in a straight line pretty handily, and is actually pretty close to a 991.2 in terms of straight line acceleration. Based on videos I've seen, its basically dead even with a 997.1 gt2, which is pretty cool for a v8 high-revving na engine. The sound is insane too (not as good as the CS, but pretty close unless you are very picky). It also fits that need (from time to time) when I don't mind being a bit flashy (the gt3 is obviously super under the radar to all but gear heads and enthusiasts).

Finally, I love my scud but from my experience (and the experiences of a few buddies) Ferraris of this era just aren't put together like a Porsche. Even garage queens can have weird/serious issues of the type not likely to afflict a mezger. F1 issues get expensive and can leave you stranded, variator solenoids get contaminated with oil and foul ECU's, failing TB's can also roast the ECU, high heat and many heat cycles wreak havoc on rubber/plastics in the engine bay, thermal expansion can crack exhaust welds and components over time, switches get gooey, heat exchangers for the gearbox fail dumping coolant in the gearbox (buddy is dealing with this now), etc.... Again, not ripping on f-cars....I love them and own one...and nothing really beats them for the raw emotion and feelings they provoke....which is the main reason I can't see myself every selling my scud. It really is as close to a street "race car" that I've ever experienced in any factory offering, and the shifts are literally race car insane!

Anyway, just my two cents. I definitely feel the CS compliments a 7-3 very well, if you have the means and that is the experience you are shooting for! Finally, if you have the itch I'd say go ahead and scratch it! It probably won't go away (It didn't for me!). Good luck!
To be honest it would be something I would enjoy for a 3-5 years and sell. I found a clean example here in Japan which just had a t-belt done and is under warranty via the F dealer. I would most likely drive it once in a while and will import to the states and sell after it hits 25yr mark. All the CS in Japan are Cornes delivered LHD drive cars and are mostly well looked after.

A few years ago I would never choose such a combo, but I'm getting old and the dad in me loves the silver and beige interior.. lol

The following 2 users liked this post by madmurdock:
911Vintage (10-09-2023), Steve Theodore (11-11-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 07:02 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JS
Yes, Stradale and Scuderia. Scud is a dud in comparison.
Just like .1RS vs .2RS
.1 is more raw and better experience.

Go with the Stradale.
I've heard the same via many reviews. Even a recent a youtube comparison between the two.
Old 10-08-2023, 11:22 PM
RAudi Driver
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,723 Posts

What a beautiful car.
madmurdock (10-09-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 12:14 AM
arkaid
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

That spec is awesome. I'll get first in line to buy it from you once it hits the 25yr mark

My experience is limited to the base GT3 and 360 (own both and yearning for a CS) but I'll add my 2c and echo what ScottArizona said - Ferrari exudes a sense of drama that Porsche, at least to me, can't begin to come close to and I think the 360 (especially the CS) is the "bridge" between past Ferraris of the 90s into the modern era. By no means is the drama (or relative lack thereof) a bad thing - more like two different sides of the same coin - one is a brilliant surgical tool and the other is a close to full-blown racecar with all the drawbacks and positives that come along with owning a race car for the street. I don't think you'll regret the CS one bit - the experience leaves a mark on you every time. Maintenance is definitely a pricey bit, but I've actually found my car to be quite stout with reliability - it seems they reward regular use.

Enjoy it - what fun choices to make!
Old 10-09-2023, 12:57 PM
FrenchieDadRS
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

Manual converted 360 CS is perfection. However it is not to replace, but in addition to the 997 RS.
Robocop305 (10-09-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 02:56 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 489 Likes on 360 Posts

My neighbor growing up had three 360's at once, one being an SC. Very special car and feels more like a "challenge car" if you have the non leather interior. Values today are up there, but I guess justified as the category has grown with the likes of the GT3 range... I think if you are already a Porsche guy, give the SC a try... not like you're going to loose anything if you want to get out of it.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

madmurdock (10-19-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 03:22 PM
650kid
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

It is both the lightest and loudest street legal Ferrari ever sold. It's insanely pretty, it's arguably the best sounding V8 Ferrari ever, and the steering is the best I've felt in any car I've ever driven. You truly feel how light the car is every time you drive it. It is considerably more "race car" than being behind the wheel of the RS. Mine is manual converted with all OEM Ferrari components - it is not an EAG car. I say this because the F1 in the CS is awful and is the only negative to the car (and I've heard mixed reviews about the aftermarket conversions). The 997 RS is an all around better car. The gear box the best stick I've ever shifted, the clutch pedal feel is elite, the powertrain is epic, and the build quality and engineering is far better. The best way I can explain/compare the two - if you drive the CS first you'll get out of the car thinking it's more emotional than the RS and that it's the most fun you can remember having behind the wheel. Jump in the RS right afterwards and you're immediately reminded why you're a Porsche guy at heart and why the 997 3RS is the greatest drivers car on the planet. If I could only have one it's the RS. To me they're the best example of the ultimate driver focused experience offered by Porsche and Ferrari.

On a separate note - from a performance point of view I've done pull after pull with 997.1 3RS' and the CS slowly walks away every time. Could have something to do with the headers/high flow cats/tune on my CS but the 3RS had full Akra headers back. My RS is a 3.8 and has the full Dundon D4 package so it's not a fair comparison. Destroys both lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by 650kid:
Finlander (10-10-2023), Steve Theodore (11-11-2023)

Quick Reply: Challange Stradale