Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Will a GT4 disappoint after a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 01:39 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 649 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
I totally get what you are saying about the GT4 basically being a modern 997, as I have mentioned that to friends before. But that comparison was only in dimensions of the car.

In terms of how both drive, they are worlds apart. Not even in the same galaxy. 997 is the last true rear engine layout. Requires trail braking and throttle steer. GT4 is mid engine with better turn in.
this is an old wives tail about the rear engine thing. The 997 was extremely refined for its time and much much more refined than a 993 for instance.

go drive a 993 (not even going back too far like 964/930, etc.) and tell me the 997 is rear engine biased.

i find it insane anyone says this, they are one of the easiest cars to drive on the racetrack….from someone who’s actually driven a one owner not modified perfect example…ON THE RACETRACK

I don’t get this rennlist narrative of trying to act like the 997 gt3’s are hard to track and you have ti wrangle them like they’re a raging Bull lol, I find this perspective completely delusional and I have something like 75 track days at this point in the last 15 years

its one of the easiest sports cars to drive on track, Porsche made a great car that was very easy to extract the full potential out of, no idea why that’s seen as a bad thing around here
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 01:48 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 649 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
I am so glad you wrote this and shared your thoughts and experiences. Of course, the GT4 is awesome on the track, but likely not as awesome as the GT3 RS. But for driving on the street, I simply do not understand the GT3 RS because so little of its capability is accessible (if you want to stay out of jail). Whereas the GT4, is for sure less power, but so much more accessible. Both great cars, of course, and really built for different use-cases, IMO.
the gt3rs is a much more impressive machine but it’s it not as fun imo. Just like how a 997gt3rs is a less impressive machine to say a 991, but it’s more fun!!!

I track cars and I still think fun is the only thing that matters at the end of the day, hence manual and hence smaller

if it’s smaller and it’s manual….it’s probably more fun
The following 2 users liked this post by welikethetrack:
FrenchieDadRS (09-15-2023), sbaro (09-15-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 01:37 PM
00 Scrub
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts

I got to drive a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 back to back for many laps with my 997.2 GT3 on an autocross course and I think it comes down to what you like more. I figure the GTS 4.0 should be similar enough to the GT4 to offer some applicable comparisons.
  • The Cayman GTS has more low end power (and might sound a bit better!?)
  • The Cayman inputs are far lighter (shifter, clutch, steering). I'm not sure how different the scrub radius is between the two cars but there was much less movement in the Cayman wheel over broken pavement than in the GT3.
  • The Cayman GTS exhibits turn in oversteer much more than the GT3. I'm guessing this is because I was trail braking it pretty hard since that is required for the GT3.
  • The Cayman GTS front end is much easier to place and more responsive without trail braking. You don't have to be as deliberate with the Cayman as with the 997.2 GT3.
  • The Cayman GTS more resistant to controlling the line with throttle application/removal. In the 997.2 GT3 I could adjust my line in sweepers to a larger degree than in the Cayman just by lifting or applying throttle.
  • The Cayman GTS had a harder time putting power down than the GT3. The GT4 wider rear tires might help here. The GT3 almost always felt more composed than the Cayman on corner exit. It was much easier to kick the back end out on the Cayman and get a bit crossed up.
  • The AC blew far cooler in the Cayman. It was nice and comfy waiting for my next run.
  • It was much easier to hit by helmet on the door sill getting in/out of the Cayman than the GT3.
  • I ran ~0.9sec slower on a ~35sec lap in the Cayman than the GT3, but I imagine with more seat time and stickier tires they would be pretty similar.

Overall they were both pretty damn fun.
I agree with what welikethtrack is saying. The 997.2 GT3 hasn't been scary to drive. It's a bit of a handful if you really lift hard and upset it, but that takes some effort. Otherwise trail brake it into corners and you're most of the way there.

Last edited by 00 Scrub; 09-16-2023 at 01:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 00 Scrub:
welikethetrack (09-16-2023), wsf80 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 04:30 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 473 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by 00 Scrub
I got to drive a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 back to back for many laps with my 997.2 GT3 on an autocross course and I think it comes down to what you like more. I figure the GTS 4.0 should be similar enough to the GT4 to offer some applicable comparisons.
  • The Cayman GTS has more low end power (and might sound a bit better!?)
  • The Cayman inputs are far lighter (shifter, clutch, steering). I'm not sure how different the scrub radius is between the two cars but there was much less movement in the Cayman wheel over broken pavement than in the GT3.
  • The Cayman GTS exhibits turn in oversteer much more than the GT3. I'm guessing this is because I was trail braking it pretty hard since that is required for the GT3.
  • The Cayman GTS front end is much easier to place and more responsive without trail braking. You don't have to be as deliberate with the Cayman as with the 997.2 GT3.
  • The Cayman GTS more resistant to controlling the line with throttle application/removal. In the 997.2 GT3 I could adjust my line in sweepers to a larger degree than in the Cayman just by lifting or applying throttle.
  • The Cayman GTS had a harder time putting power down than the GT3. The GT4 wider rear tires might help here. The GT3 almost always felt more composed than the Cayman on corner exit. It was much easier to kick the back end out on the Cayman and get a bit crossed up.
  • The AC blew far cooler in the Cayman. It was nice and comfy waiting for my next run.
  • It was much easier to hit by helmet on the door sill getting in/out of the Cayman than the GT3.
  • I ran ~0.9sec slower on a ~35sec lap in the Cayman than the GT3, but I imagine with more seat time and stickier tires they would be pretty similar.

Overall they were both pretty damn fun.
I agree with what welikethtrack is saying. The 997.2 GT3 hasn't been scary to drive. It's a bit of a handful if you really lift hard and upset it, but that takes some effort. Otherwise trail brake it into corners and you're most of the way there.
Man - If a GTS sounds better than your 7.2, you need a proper exhaust ASAP.
The following 2 users liked this post by jreifler:
brake dust (09-17-2023), FrenchieDadRS (09-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Will a GT4 disappoint after a GT3?