Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tree shedding issues: considering PPF and paint correction near Santa Monica

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 10:02 PM
ymc226
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tree shedding issues: considering PPF and paint correction near Santa Monica

I've had my black 2007 997.1 GT3 since new which now has about 24K miles. I've always washed it myself, 2 bucket method and paint corrected it once years ago. Coolant pipes pinned, plastic elbows replaced with Sharkworks metal ones and rubber hosings all changed when I still lived in NJ. Now I don't drive it much as a tree overhanging my very short driveway just sheds small organic matter and pollen constantly. I can't drive it into the garage without scraping the car's underside due to the acute angle and very short driveway so I park indoors off site a few miles away. Would a modern PPF allow me just to hose off and go without much worry of scratching the paint? I hate the look of dirty black paint but the upkeep of having to wash it properly several times weekly is keeping the car from being retrieved and driven. I haven't kept up with PPF technology but what are issues to consider and how easy is it to maintain? Is there a brand of PPF that would be the "go to" product? Is a coating over the PPF also necessary? Who in the Westside of LA would one recommend? I use Optimum No Rinse for a quick wipe down of my leased car which I care less about and was thinking I could use this on a PPF'd car as well.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:06 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Cut the tree? Fix the driveway entrance?

ppf with a coating is easy to maintain. You’ll want to correct the car before applying it.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:24 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,993 Likes on 1,775 Posts

The whole car outside is another issue I would try to avoid so if you can't do what Spyrex mentioned, then I would suggest finding a rentable garage in your area. Maybe look on sites like Neighbor for a garage. If you're up for it, post up a pic of what you're working with. Seeing as your'e already in the driveway, it seems like you still have a hurdle to get into the garage. Oh, another thought would be those outdoor car bubbles. they aren't pretty but they work.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:55 PM
ohturtle
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did ppf and ceramic coating on top. Car is practically clean all the time.
I would def look into cutting tree and fixing driveway. Parking a few miles away just doesn't sound right.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (08-03-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 11:07 PM
ymc226
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. The tree is actually on the City easement so can't touch it. Also, some trees were in the news that were illegally trimmed to the point that they would not survive. Made big local news and would have engendered huge fines if the culprits were found. My driveway is actually the apron; No real drive way as there is about 3 feet between the side walk and the start of the garage with a big step up/short ramp. I'll try to post a pic later. I do park in a garage a few miles away in an apt complex I own. But the car has been sitting there on a trickle charger for about 6 months. Single car, enclosed garage so no one else has access. I feel it needs to be driven.
Old 08-03-2023, 01:13 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Drive it. Gt3 get pissy if not driven. Seriously
Old 08-03-2023, 02:00 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 263 Posts

I’ve had my old 996GT3 PPF’d. Was so easy. Paper towel and spit …who cares. Bird ****s on car just wipe
off. Especially with ceramic coating then the water slid right off.
Old 08-03-2023, 10:10 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 405 Posts

With the current state of tree and driveway, and parking outside, the ppf will age rapidly and prematurely if simply hosed off

ppf is basically a soft plastic and thus dirt/contamination will fill the pores and begin damaging the material if not cleaned properly

ceramic will help, but the material will become dull as time goes

silver lining is, it will preserve the paint and hopefully tide you over until the circumstances allow for covered or garage parking
Old 08-03-2023, 02:06 PM
ymc226
Advanced

The parkway of our house is very wide as you can see in the pics. The apron is essentially my whole driveway. The trees also contribute to large crows perching on the branches and dropping their waste on top of the cars parked underneath. We are thinking of tearing down the unattached garage and rebuilding it with an ADU on top. If we do so, we would excavate the ground to get rid of the steep angle that is currently there so a car with a low suspension such as the 911 would have a chance. I have a Tesla S but haven't tried after scraping the GT3 once. Also, any recommendations regarding brand and product specific PPF and installers in my area? Definitely will have them paint correct prior. Even if I don't rebuild the garage, I would definitely drive the GT3 more often after getting it protected and just leave it in the driveway/apron. Probably would switch off week with GT3 and then with Tesla, storing the undriven one in my other garage a few miles away.

Last edited by ymc226; 08-03-2023 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:58 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

My driveway is steeper than that and I can get my car in with no issues. Are you approaching one wheel at a time?
Old 08-03-2023, 10:48 PM
ymc226
Advanced

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
My driveway is steeper than that and I can get my car in with no issues. Are you approaching one wheel at a time?

It is actually steeper than how it shows up in the picture. There is also a slope across from left to right. I just drove straight up the less steep side and couldn't make it. My wife parks her RR in the garage also so there would be no other option other than a straight on approach.
RAudi Driver (08-03-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 11:23 AM
jason95R
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 108 Posts

What if you bought, or made, some long ramps that go from the garage opening to the sidewalk? Even some long 2x10's with support under the middles so they don't flex. Not ideal but it's cheap and could make the approach less steep.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:49 PM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 181 Posts

Here is my advice from an ex-NYer and black 997 gt3 owner.
- Cars get dirty way faster than you think they would somewhere with no real weather but CA is super dusty, the water is really hard and the sun is absolutely brutal
- Full PPF is great but a quick hose down will leave your jams disgusting- CA water is HARD
- Don't leave your car outside, CA sun is extremely high UV and will ruin all the rubber trim and plastics on your car, fast!
- For the price I would do a full axle lift kit from KW or Stanceparts

Last edited by vma1788; 08-04-2023 at 05:50 PM.
RAudi Driver (08-04-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 09:23 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 297 Posts

doesnt look that steep. you are only scraping chin spolier…. id park the 3 at the house. and drive it.
ppf and ceramic in any event. although car is already 15 years old…..
Old 08-05-2023, 10:32 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Anotyher quesiton, when you say the cars underside, are you speaking about the front lip spoiler or the metal tub? Everyone scrapes their spoiler. Mine scrapes every single day I drive it.

Quick Reply: Tree shedding issues: considering PPF and paint correction near Santa Monica