Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Flushing Coolant System

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Flushing Coolant System

It's time to flush my coolant system in my 2010 GT3. I have had it done by the shop in the past but want to man up and start doing things myself more.
Mainly to justify the new garage I built to the wifey and to justify the lift I plan to get.

I have found a few DIY's for the 997 Carrera cars but not for the GT3.
I'll need an Air lift, compressor, some drain plug crush washers, some coolant & distilled water.
Any specific advice on which airlift kit?
How many drain plugs and where they're located?
How much Coolant 2 or 3 Gallons, better to have extra :-)

Anything else I'm missing?
Old 08-09-2023, 09:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I just dropped a 996.2 GT3 engine and recovered 23L of coolant -- and the majority of that was from the initial drain - pulling the main lines to the front and the coolant lines to tranny, as well as the drains on bottoms of the water manifolds on the engine itself. The 997 will not vary much from that. I bought the 20L jug of concentrated coolant from Sunset, that will give me 40L total, plenty enough. I will mix the concentrate with distilled water. I have had the air lift kit for a while but this will be the first time using it so no feedback other than reviewing videos.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-21-2023, 12:49 PM
FLT6
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Think you got it covered. Don't forget a clean 5 gallon plastic bucket to mix the coolant concentrate in. Will also serve as a supply to the air-lift system.

Old 08-21-2023, 01:06 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,959 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6
Think you got it covered. Don't forget a clean 5 gallon plastic bucket to mix the coolant concentrate in. Will also serve as a supply to the air-lift system.
I use a 5 gallon water jug with a pop on cap so I can keep the diluted stuff stored. IT also makes it real easy to secure to hose so you don't pick up air on the intake.

Good Luck Hella, it's an easy job. I have the Airlift 550000 kit. I just looked at pricing and it's like $150 on average. I don't think I even paid close to that back in the day, 2 to 3 years ago. If I recall it was about $60. I'll have to check my records. Hope inflation hasn't increased prices by that amount.

Quick Reply: Flushing Coolant System