Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 PCM2 Upgrade…

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 11:46 AM
imthedecidah
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 997.1 GT3 PCM2 Upgrade…

It’s finally time to upgrade my 997.1 GT3 — Looking for best opinions on my swapping PCM2 head unit for a Kenwood DMX - not sure which model, but would like to have the volume ****, although that **** seems to require a 30% cost increase. Not a super fan of the Porsche Classic refresh over the Kenwood. I’d also like to add a decent amp that would drive updated new speakers all around - plus a sub. Would like a rear camera (BT or wired). iPhone integration & of course Sirius & Apple CarPlay are a must have for me. — What kind of budget am I looking at and any suggestions on hardware would be appreciated. Installed by someone besides me in the Charlotte, NC area. Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by imthedecidah; 05-30-2023 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:52 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,721 Posts

Did he say sub?
Old 05-30-2023, 02:15 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 132 Posts

Sounds like you're putting in almost exactly what I spent a number of hours ripping out
Old 05-30-2023, 02:28 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,721 Posts

OEM+ stick with the program!
Old 05-30-2023, 05:28 PM
3TG119
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

nein nein nein nein
Old 05-30-2023, 05:33 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,074 Likes on 2,107 Posts

I’ll just add that I installed a PCCM+ in my car and I really couldn’t be happier with it. OEM looks with functionality of a modern day Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
milazzo_997tt (05-31-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 07:26 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Are you daily driving this car? Stick with the Porsche option.

Fwiw i run the shelf.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:45 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

imo the only real benefit to a nice system is that its loud enough for me to hear the turn-by-turn directions as I'm screaming through gears on the backroads. It's nice to hear "right on such-n-such in 3.5 miles" (in a nice female British accent )... that's the ONLY sound I wanna hear outta my system (& of course easy connection to my iPhone is a must too). I already have all that with the stock oem PCM 3.0 in my .2 ... just sayin'
Old 06-04-2023, 12:22 PM
imthedecidah
Intermediate

Update - Thanks for sharing your opinions.

PCCM+ Pros: OEM looks, trip and user memory functions. Cons: tethered to iPhone in-order to run CarPlay? For real? In this day and age - a cord??

Personally, I think the looks of the PCCM+ are less than stellar, but the trip and user memory functions are important to have in the 997 as the in dial displays are minimal. IMO the Kenwood wins on aesthetics and the easy add wireless backup camera is cool, but lack of TRIP function is a major detractor to be sure.

Net, I’m still on the fence.

​​​​​​….as for the ‘stereo delete posters’ - Right On - that weight savings must make you super fast! And if you aren’t bored w/that ‘sweet flat 6 soundtrack’ after a short while I salute your passenger!

Funnily enough, the main PCCM+ link here has 141 pages… ‘just sayin’
Old 06-04-2023, 12:31 PM
imthedecidah
Intermediate

@bxstr — That’s great — did you add a back up camera? What about amps - speakers? Or stick w/stock sound package? Do you have to connect your iPhone in order to run CarPlay - or can it run via BT?

Last edited by imthedecidah; 06-04-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 02:16 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by imthedecidah
PCCM+ Pros: OEM looks, trip and user memory functions. Cons: tethered to iPhone in-order to run CarPlay? For real? In this day and age - a cord??
I agree, no way I’m running a usb cable out the front of the unit to get CarPlay in 2023. If there’s a rear usb port you could run one of the carplay adapter boxes. We have an iCarlinkit in my wife’s Golf R and it works great. Just got one for my mom for Mother’s Day for her car, same, she loves it.
imthedecidah (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 02:36 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by imthedecidah
@bxstr — That’s great — did you add a back up camera? What about amps - speakers? Or stick w/stock sound package? Do you have to connect your iPhone in order to run CarPlay - or can it run via BT?
A bit of background. I was coming from a CDR24 headunit (stock radio without nav), with sound package plus, which is the factory amp and additional speakers. I thought the audio quality was quite poor and I'm not an audiophile.

I didn't add a backup camera, amps or speakers. I bought a cable from a Rennlist member to relocate the CarPlay USB out the back of the unit and just have an Apple Lightning cable that connects to my phone. But with the CarPlay USB now coming out the back of the unit, you could use a wireless CarPlay module and have it all look clean. There is not an option direct out of the box for wireless CarPlay.

No offense to anyone that has or is considering an aftermarket headunit, but I have yet to find one that I really like the looks of, either the digital user interface or the physical look of it when it's off. Both of these things are incredibly important to me. So when an option that was coming direct from Porsche became available, I instantly bought it. I was waiting for years for this from when they announced the unit for the 996 and other classic models. On the other hand, I don't care about the trip functions. Something I really do like is the ability to have the doors auto lock when driving off and programming the lights to stay on a certain amount of time after parking. These were not options with the CDR24 unit I had prior, although I'm nearly certain are options with the PCM2.1. I am almost exclusively using CarPlay and none of the other functions. CarPlay mostly for music and maps. I like to drive backroads and explore and knowing 1) when a turn is coming up or where I can turn around is helpful and 2) how to get home from wherever I'm at is super useful.

I do find that the audio quality is improved quite a bit with the new PCCM+. Again, to anyone that likes high end audio, it's still not going to be good, but for me, I find it plenty good especially with how loud the GT3 cabin already is.

Good luck with whatever option you choose.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:12 PM
imthedecidah
Intermediate

@chrism @bxstr — thanks for those helpful insights. I think the ability to program your car preferences and trip details makes me lean towards PCCM+ . I will research the ‘out the back’ options for hooking up iPhone. RU saying that there is a wireless CarPlay module that I could hook up that would elevate any cords? — Something similar to chrism’s rcarlinkit?

At this point I am not to worried about adding gear - just want it clean and crisp. Currently I have Denison Gateway 500 for iPhone, Tooki Porsche for BT phone and Mod4Cars for locks, windows and doors… plus a hardwired Valentine hooked to a stealth Valentine remote… that for whatever reason the remote Valentine’s toggle switch opens and closes my Cargraphics exhaust…

I bought it this way… it worked fine for the first year I owned it and when I had to program in new tps I lost it all… I figure now is the time to make it the way I want to enjoy it - I daily drive the GT3 and love to take it on longer road trips. No intention of selling it …so why not?

Thanks for the continuing help. If I can confirm I can get CarPlay w/o a cord and add a back-up camera I am going PCCM+

One of my favorite receiver opinions to-date comes from my wife… “If its going in the expensive car, buy the expensive one.”

DUH!
Old 06-04-2023, 05:25 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Yes, this is what I'm referring to when I mention wireless CarPlay.
Amazon Amazon

I don't have experience with that particular adapter, but you can use something similar to that to get wireless CarPlay.

This thread is pretty clean and goes over adding a backup camera: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18628451

This thread has plenty of info on backup cameras. It's a long thread, so you'll have to search: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ispreloading=1

This member, jgoga, is the one making the cable to route the USB out the rear. I got mine from him: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18705096

Also, you're going to find many places are sold out of the PCCM+. I got mine from Gaudin as they're a Porsche classic dealer and have a larger inventory.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:00 PM
imthedecidah
Intermediate

@Bxstr — That’s a comprehensive DIY install thread! I am going to use a Charlotte based car audio outfit to do my install as much of the discussion is beyond my compression. Thanks for sharing all your resources.

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 PCM2 Upgrade…