Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

This is the droid I’m looking for: DD 2010 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 08:21 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 310 Posts

Bravo @CKit you are so right that the 997 generation is the sweetest spot of them all. I'm glad you get to fall in love with yours all over again!
The following users liked this post:
CKit (04-28-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 09:33 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Great project. Have fun!
CKit (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 02:20 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 664 Posts

I am ALSO so happy to see you CKIT, putting this thread together for us to follow along. This CLEARLY puts you back on top with regard to any who pinched an eye (ie jumped the gun) on your initial steps to find a buyer. Todays world is a crazy place let alone when you're trying to figure out how to find a good home (ie not get sucker punched by buyers these days) for a car like this.

Bravo indeed. Thanks for keeping us in mind as it relates to your efforts in cleaning & sorting!!
CKit (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 09:30 PM
CKit
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I am ALSO so happy to see you CKIT, putting this thread together for us to follow along. This CLEARLY puts you back on top with regard to any who pinched an eye (ie jumped the gun) on your initial steps to find a buyer. Todays world is a crazy place let alone when you're trying to figure out how to find a good home (ie not get sucker punched by buyers these days) for a car like this.

Bravo indeed. Thanks for keeping us in mind as it relates to your efforts in cleaning & sorting!!
Thanks for the encouragement! This will be a fun project and I appreciate the support!

These threads and posts helped me reframe what the car means to me and what I'm willing to spend to really enjoy it.

To be able to go out to a nice dinner with my wife and daughter in a GT3 with back seats and windows open.... that's what life is really about. Before my kid gets too old, I'm going to create and share those memories with her.

Thanks for following along and thanks to people who posted encouragement!
GTTommy (05-01-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 10:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,819 Likes on 1,679 Posts

Check this out. It's been 9 years since you've posted on this site. It took a question about contemplating a car sale, to your friend, to pull ya back in. Welcome back! This forum keeps us going and interested in these cars so stick around.

I have another car where the forum support has pretty much died out. It's a 2008 Audi RS4 and as such, I'm not really doing anything with that car any longer as it sits in the garage on a trickle. Original owner and only 60k miles but I'm probably going to let it go soon if I can get what I was offered for it last year which was $60k. Moral of the story, keep these relationships with your fellow members alive and active. Drive your car, meet up with friends, and celebrate this fantastic piece of machinery.

Welcome back CKit!

The following 4 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
CKit (05-01-2023), jonwb (05-03-2023), Wilder (05-01-2023), Wonderdan (05-01-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 10:25 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Excited to follow along on this thread!

Regarding the rocker panel touch up, I’ve found these pens work great for precise touch up work. Buy touch up paint from a company like Dr color chip, put a bit in the pen and start filling in the chips.

Amazon Amazon

Did a thread on this a while back.

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...w-cornell.html
CKit (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 08:34 AM
CKit
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Check this out. It's been 9 years since you've posted on this site. It took a question about contemplating a car sale, to your friend, to pull ya back in. Welcome back! This forum keeps us going and interested in these cars so stick around.

I have another car where the forum support has pretty much died out. It's a 2008 Audi RS4 and as such, I'm not really doing anything with that car any longer as it sits in the garage on a trickle. Original owner and only 60k miles but I'm probably going to let it go soon if I can get what I was offered for it last year which was $60k. Moral of the story, keep these relationships with your fellow members alive and active. Drive your car, meet up with friends, and celebrate this fantastic piece of machinery.

Welcome back CKit!
Thanks and thanks for your support! I'm glad there are people like you on the site!

As an aside, we loved our RS4 too. Good taste! We had ours about 7 years and my wife traded it on her first Porsche... a 981 Cayman S!
Old 05-02-2023, 01:17 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,819 Likes on 1,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Excited to follow along on this thread!

Regarding the rocker panel touch up, I’ve found these pens work great for precise touch up work. Buy touch up paint from a company like Dr color chip, put a bit in the pen and start filling in the chips.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZ837V9...fix=fine+line+

Did a thread on this a while back.

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...w-cornell.html
I have a set of those and love them.
CKit (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 12:30 PM
CKit
Instructor

Talking with my friend / neighbor, I'm thinking of doing the whole Sharkwerks coolant line replacement and rubber hose replacement. This is something that I want to be done with confidence and even though they're not stock parts, I think most people consider them upgrades (unlike performance modifications like Tarett bars and lighter forged wheels).

Does anyone have any concern with having the Sharkwerks treatment or am I good to go?

I also think I'm going to have the car wrapped in a color because of the yellowing issue with clear wrap and white. It was so easy to remove the film that I have no issue doing that later if need be. Not totally sold on that though. With low miles and climate controlled indoor storage, yellowing might not be as big of a deal.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:47 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CKit
Talking with my friend / neighbor, I'm thinking of doing the whole Sharkwerks coolant line replacement and rubber hose replacement. This is something that I want to be done with confidence and even though they're not stock parts, I think most people consider them upgrades (unlike performance modifications like Tarett bars and lighter forged wheels).

Does anyone have any concern with having the Sharkwerks treatment or am I good to go?

I also think I'm going to have the car wrapped in a color because of the yellowing issue with clear wrap and white. It was so easy to remove the film that I have no issue doing that later if need be. Not totally sold on that though. With low miles and climate controlled indoor storage, yellowing might not be as big of a deal.
definitely good to go on the SW metal coolant line pipes.

But I am not quite understanding the remaining yellowing issue you are having. Can you better describe what has transpired? ... ie, once you removed all your vinyl wrap (which is what I THOUGHT was the product that had yellowed),... what has remained that now has yellowing? Did you have clear ppf underneath the vinyl wrap & that is what is left that has yellowed? (if so, take that off too! & do a paint correction with ceramic imo)

I'm not quite understanding where you are now,... and where you want to take the car (eg adding new vinyl for a color change)
Old 05-02-2023, 12:59 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

I will also add that for both my 911's, I first did full paint correction and then ceramic coatings, and then front end clear ppf film (XPEL Ultimate) with ceramic back over top of the film too (plus all my calipers, rim barrels, glass, interior, etc). Every panel & surface on my cars has been treated (mostly because we tour drive our cars throughout the year, and take them on weekend getaways, etc). I also do silly things like put black painters tape on my door sills, so that I don't have to always be so dang careful lifting my feet over the threshold when getting in & out. And my cars have received 299 points out of 300 at PCA Parade Concours (which is called Gmund Level of Achievement), so yea I'm a freak that way.

Protecting your car with coatings, film/vinyl etc can be a rabbits hole,... but for me, as long as I keep my #1 priority of driving & enjoying the car (& not worrying about getting it dirty in rainstorms, etc), and ALWAYS stick to never putting the car away without a full detail so that it is ready for my NEXT adventure,.... then I remain true to my passion for these cars. Oh,.. & it helps that my wife shares the same montra too. It helps to have a motivated partner in crime (obsession), Lol.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:42 PM
CKit
Instructor

Originally Posted by bweSteve
definitely good to go on the SW metal coolant line pipes.

But I am not quite understanding the remaining yellowing issue you are having. Can you better describe what has transpired? ... ie, once you removed all your vinyl wrap (which is what I THOUGHT was the product that had yellowed),... what has remained that now has yellowing? Did you have clear ppf underneath the vinyl wrap & that is what is left that has yellowed? (if so, take that off too! & do a paint correction with ceramic imo)

I'm not quite understanding where you are now,... and where you want to take the car (eg adding new vinyl for a color change)
Oh sorry! The car had original clear on whole front up to the doors.

That was yellowing pretty badly along with the hip protectors by the time I got the car in 2013-2014.

So when we were going to use it for autocross, I kept the yellowing clear bra parts and ADDED white vinyl on the sides and hips.

Currently, the white vinyl is removed on one side and the yellowing clear remains.

I’ll have everything removed and paint corrected and everything touched up and made fresh.

But instead of painters tape on sills, I could have a color wrap done instead of putting clear bra that will just yellow over time.

If the current gen clear film doesn’t yellow, I’d do that. But there already is a little yellowing of our 2018 that had front and sides done.

Old 05-02-2023, 04:12 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

But instead of painters tape on sills, I could have a color wrap done instead of putting clear bra that will just yellow over time.
to clarify, I don't put painters tape on the painted part of our door sills. I was talking about the black plastic sill plate (in front of the buttons to open frunk & engine lid). That plastic can get scuffed easily, and can be very difficult to make look perfect again. So I put black painters tape on that part. It makes it easy to pull off periodically when I'm showing the car at events.

And regarding your rear shark fin plastic,... yea I replaced mine on my 964 Turbo many years ago (OEM), and its still holding up well, but of course the car now spends most of its time inside under cover.

Also, regarding the painted part of the sill plate that you responded to above,... that part of my car is one full piece of XPEL Ultimate that goes from the front of the doors, along the total side rocker of the car, and then proceeds up to a higher point than the oem shark fin area. On my 997 GT3 I had that oem film taken off. It's small in my opinion, hence had my film guy put that bigger piece to cover all that lower area. So yea, I do not end up scuffing that painted part either due to the protecting film.

hope that clarifies
CKit (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 04:29 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Oh sorry! The car had original clear on whole front up to the doors.

That was yellowing pretty badly along with the hip protectors by the time I got the car in 2013-2014.

So when we were going to use it for autocross, I kept the yellowing clear bra parts and ADDED white vinyl on the sides and hips.

Currently, the white vinyl is removed on one side and the yellowing clear remains.

I’ll have everything removed and paint corrected and everything touched up and made fresh.

If the current gen clear film doesn’t yellow, I’d do that. But there already is a little yellowing of our 2018 that had front and sides done.
It is my understanding that a "wrap" is no where near the protection of PPF
The following 4 users liked this post by my first 911:
8Lug (05-02-2023), CKit (05-02-2023), Robocop305 (07-19-2023), Wilder (05-09-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 07:24 PM
CKit
Instructor

Originally Posted by my first 911
It is my understanding that a "wrap" is no where near the protection of PPF
That was part of the reasoning back in the day to leave the yellowed clear bra in place and add wrap.

I might replace the clear bra and wrap over it… would keep the clear bra from yellowing and I could still enjoy the removable “something different” of the different color…

But I’ll probably just clear bra it and skip color.

Quick Reply: This is the droid I’m looking for: DD 2010 997.2 GT3