Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 07:15 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 322 Posts

@Antigravity dropping the knowledge as always!

I've noticed that when modern Porsches (even 997 generation) get weak batteries, that they will throw A LOT of error codes. I have caused this condition accidentally in the past and it takes quite a bit of time and effort with a modern OBD2 scan tool to right all the wrongs. One thing I learned the REALLY hard way is that if you leave a Porsche key in the ignition that it is game over for the battery over a period of days. I actually ruined a 1.5 year old lead-acid battery by doing that, and had to buy a new battery to resolve the problem. Ah, the life of a car dealer...it's rarely glamorous!
Old 04-20-2023, 08:40 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Just popped the 60ah AG in my .1 RS. I typically drive it every week at least once but depending on travel, weather etc. its possible that it sits for a few weeks at times. Noticed by old battery was weak after a couple weeks of sitting but no such issues with the AG. I am also keeping on the maintainer on it when I know it will sit for more than a week anyway but nice to know if you forget, you’re covered.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick11:
996TS (04-29-2023), Antigravity (04-21-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 11:36 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,012 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
last question for you: I have the ctek special charger for my scud, but can I use a noco genious (with the lithium battery mode option) for my new battery, or do you recommend sticking with the c-tek charger that you guys recommend? I already have the noco but will buy the ctek if you guys state the noco is not ideal for these batteries.
Yes for sure you can use the NOCO...or most any specific quality brand of Lifepo4 Charger. The main issue is to make sure it has at least a 4 amp charge rate since even when chargers, such as a CTEK, OPTIMATE or NOCO are rated at 4 amps, that is only the peak rate of charge. They are usually only charging at 2 amps for most of the charge cycle, and that still takes a pretty long time to recharge a fully discharged battery like a Lead or Lithium Battery. But it fine for maintainance and to get a charge back into a battery.

Its the 1 amp maintainer type of maintainers that really don't want to use since they won't put a good charge on a battery in a Car. As an FYI... the higher the Amps the Charger is rated for the faster the recharge will be, but being realistic not everyone need a super fast recharge so the 4 Amp CTEKS and others are fine. I have a 25Amp CTEK commercial charger since we have to test and recharge over and over and it chargers super fast, but is silly expensive and not really needed for anything other than a shop.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:40 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,012 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick11
Just popped the 60ah AG in my .1 RS. I typically drive it every week at least once but depending on travel, weather etc. its possible that it sits for a few weeks at times. Noticed by old battery was weak after a couple weeks of sitting but no such issues with the AG. I am also keeping on the maintainer on it when I know it will sit for more than a week anyway but nice to know if you forget, you’re covered.
Being blunt the 60Ah is a monster. You can for sure let it sit a while in your car without a maintainer if you don't have a bad parasitic drain. I had a 2016 GT3 RS and could let it sit 6 weeks without any issues at all. The only issues is people harrased me for not driving it enough, but it would sit there and I tested it for that time twice and it starter and was still at 13v after 6 weeks, but I had no accessories on it, no radar det, no camera or anything, it had a very low parasitic draw when it was in it sleep mode.
The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
996TS (04-29-2023), Steve Theodore (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 02:50 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Yes for sure you can use the NOCO...or most any specific quality brand of Lifepo4 Charger. The main issue is to make sure it has at least a 4 amp charge rate since even when chargers, such as a CTEK, OPTIMATE or NOCO are rated at 4 amps, that is only the peak rate of charge. They are usually only charging at 2 amps for most of the charge cycle, and that still takes a pretty long time to recharge a fully discharged battery like a Lead or Lithium Battery. But it fine for maintainance and to get a charge back into a battery.

Its the 1 amp maintainer type of maintainers that really don't want to use since they won't put a good charge on a battery in a Car. As an FYI... the higher the Amps the Charger is rated for the faster the recharge will be, but being realistic not everyone need a super fast recharge so the 4 Amp CTEKS and others are fine. I have a 25Amp CTEK commercial charger since we have to test and recharge over and over and it chargers super fast, but is silly expensive and not really needed for anything other than a shop.
Really appreciate the feedback. I love these batteries and have had nothing but great experience with the one on the Ferrari. Looking forward to running one in each one of my sports cars.
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (04-23-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 08:56 PM
skyak
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

This post just saved me! Thanks madmurdock

Unfortunately it seems Voltphreaks is not in business anymore?
Old 05-03-2023, 02:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by skyak
This post just saved me! Thanks madmurdock
Unfortunately it seems Voltphreaks is not in business anymore?
You may be right. the company was a small shop, I want to say the main customer interface was a guy in SoCal named Tony Hseigh (I think). Their website seems partially functional right now... I reached out and didn't get a response. I suspect they have gone away. A quick search on the name Tony finds an engineer on Linkd in that mentions founder for voltphreaks and now working as a software engineer.

I got mine for my 964 in 2015, so the thing is near 10 years old now and still works fine used in my 964, not sure how much total capacity is left at this point.... I keep it on a CTEK tender.

Maybe another maker has a similar battery size to the v6, that has over/under charge protection, shut off circuit, DIN sized terminals, Lithium Iron chemistry, etc.

Old 06-02-2023, 03:02 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Dervish
The Voltphreaks can discharge enough whilst off to make it not turn back on to recharge. There is an emergency charge port fix for this though which I've successfully done twice after removing the battery and not fitting for 2 years.

This is gold, and glad to see it did the trick for Madmurdock. I’ve been running with the Voltphreaks VPR P6 for five years now in both my 993 and 964. Great product, but are they still in business? The website is up, but I don’t think they’ve had any product available since COVID. I’d much prefer to spend my money on American made products, and not the Antigravity fraud artists.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:53 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

If you have low voltage, regardless of battery brand or type, you could end up with a bizarre situation like I did last month. I have used the larger H8 AGM for quite a few years, and even a new/year old battery can fail-and when it does and you're in a bad area, or late at night, getting a flatbed for a GT3 still requires ramps-luckily I was able to avoid that and I detailed this experience for those who might have an issue. And after using PIWIS to clear all sorts of codes once I put in the new replacement battery, from what I saw, the TC+SC only gets reset after a drive around the block, even after doing a VAL and Vehicle Handover with PIWIS after clearing out all codes.
And my battery is on a CTEK constantly since the car is not a daily driver:
I'm glad this didn't happen at a gas station or a worse scenario:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...stuck-key.html

JB

Quick Reply: Battery