Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 05:18 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Battery

My Voltphreaks battery somehow died while the car was being shipped from USA to Japan.

​Wha​​​​​t is everyone using for a battery on their 997.2 RS?

*edit* I just realized the Voltphreaks has a discharge protection where the battery shuts off. Is it possible that the battery shows good voltage readings but is actually in need of a charge?

Last edited by madmurdock; 04-17-2023 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:04 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 322 Posts

I highly recommend (and sell) Anti Gravity batteries, and am very happy with their products. I have owned one for 2.5 years and have had zero issues with it on my 997.1 GT2. I will eventually put one on my 997.2 GT3 RS, but my lead-acid battery is still good on that car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Theodore:
996TS (04-29-2023), Antigravity (04-18-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 01:05 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

A giant interstate battery!
The following 2 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
jonwb (04-19-2023), Robocop305 (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 03:58 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
+1. Give me the biggest battery I can fit up front.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:26 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Originally Posted by ngng
+1. Give me the biggest battery I can fit up front.
This.
Old 04-17-2023, 06:25 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I highly recommend (and sell) Anti Gravity batteries, and am very happy with their products. I have owned one for 2.5 years and have had zero issues with it on my 997.1 GT2. I will eventually put one on my 997.2 GT3 RS, but my lead-acid battery is still good on that car.
Hi Steve, DM sent with a few questions.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 01:34 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

I got the big battery years ago-you have to weld a nut to the bottom of the tray to use it-
JB
Old 04-18-2023, 07:35 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 52 Posts

The Voltphreaks can discharge enough whilst off to make it not turn back on to recharge. There is an emergency charge port fix for this though which I've successfully done twice after removing the battery and not fitting for 2 years.

madmurdock (04-19-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 02:31 PM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 171 Posts

I have been running the Antigravity in mine and have nothing but positive experiences.
The following 3 users liked this post by vma1788:
996TS (04-29-2023), Antigravity (04-18-2023), Steve Theodore (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 03:01 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 371 Posts

For you guys running the antigravity batteries (@Steve Theodore; @vma1788 , what amp hour rating are you going with? I have an h6 30amp in my scud but want to get one for my gt3, but curious what amp is the lowest I can get away with. I keep my scud tended 100% of the time so I can get away with 30amp, but might go higher in the gt3 since I drive it more.
Old 04-18-2023, 03:40 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
For you guys running the antigravity batteries (@Steve Theodore; @vma1788 , what amp hour rating are you going with? I have an h6 30amp in my scud but want to get one for my gt3, but curious what amp is the lowest I can get away with. I keep my scud tended 100% of the time so I can get away with 30amp, but might go higher in the gt3 since I drive it more.
Hi Scott, I go with the 60 amp hour version for my needs, but I would say the 40 amp hour version is also fine for our Porsches. I'm a 'buy it once and buy it right' kind of person, and the 60 ah version is the beefiest of course. I do have a couple of these in stock, but I let the OP know that in case I could be of service, and no pressure otherwise. I'm a huge fan of AG batteries, and eventually they will be in all of my personal vehicles.
996TS (04-29-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 02:56 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dervish
The Voltphreaks can discharge enough whilst off to make it not turn back on to recharge. There is an emergency charge port fix for this though which I've successfully done twice after removing the battery and not fitting for 2 years.

This is why I love this community. Thanks, Dervish. She's alive. Now we just need to get some amber ROW tail lights and we are good to go.
The following 4 users liked this post by madmurdock:
996TS (04-29-2023), Dervish (04-19-2023), jonwb (04-19-2023), skyak (05-02-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 05:17 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Yeah the vf i have is an amazing engineered product. I’ve brought mine back a few times in the 6 years or so I’ve iPad it in my 964.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:35 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,012 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Perfect that you are keeping it on a Maintainer for the Scud.

For Porsches or Ferrari's or modern Cars try to ALWAY go with the most Amp Hours possible. This is not to UPSELL anyone, this is just a fact that we found out over the years in terms of Porsches or other Sports cars that now rely alot on the computer systems. They are very sensative to voltage and will toss flags quite easily, so if you have the 30Ah version we found that people would tend to have more flags, and after review of most these cases we found the average person was not maintaining them all that often, but also not driving often enough or long enough to get a good re-charge on the battery so they were often operating at a deficit overall since they would store several weeks then drive a short period of time. For example they would drive for 30 mins then put aways again for several weeks, then drive a short period again, but put it away again for several weeks... so it was a net loss of State of Charger for the smaller 30Ah battery. And YES this can happen with the 40Ah or 60Ah also but it will take longer, and since they have more capacity they would not have as much voltage drop after a longer storage period which then translated into not having flags.

On Ferrari's we found, and as most know, that have a very high parastic drain and if not kept on the charger they would drain the smaller battery in a few days to a week...so now we say only the 60Ah for Ferrari's but it still has to be maintained if not driving once a week since the parasitic draw is so high. And YES you can always Start the car with our built-in Jump STarting feature , but it is then at a very low State of Charge, so you have to make sure you put it on a Charger as soon as possible to get a soild FULL CHARGE back into the battery because even driving 1 or 2 hours will not put a FULL CHARGE back into a 60Ah Lithium Battery after being discharged to the point of having to use our RE-START feature. Anyway that is a bit of FYI stuff for any battery, not just Lithium.

The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
996TS (04-29-2023), Steve Theodore (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 03:49 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Perfect that you are keeping it on a Maintainer for the Scud.

For Porsches or Ferrari's or modern Cars try to ALWAY go with the most Amp Hours possible. This is not to UPSELL anyone, this is just a fact that we found out over the years in terms of Porsches or other Sports cars that now rely alot on the computer systems. They are very sensative to voltage and will toss flags quite easily, so if you have the 30Ah version we found that people would tend to have more flags, and after review of most these cases we found the average person was not maintaining them all that often, but also not driving often enough or long enough to get a good re-charge on the battery so they were often operating at a deficit overall since they would store several weeks then drive a short period of time. For example they would drive for 30 mins then put aways again for several weeks, then drive a short period again, but put it away again for several weeks... so it was a net loss of State of Charger for the smaller 30Ah battery. And YES this can happen with the 40Ah or 60Ah also but it will take longer, and since they have more capacity they would not have as much voltage drop after a longer storage period which then translated into not having flags.

On Ferrari's we found, and as most know, that have a very high parastic drain and if not kept on the charger they would drain the smaller battery in a few days to a week...so now we say only the 60Ah for Ferrari's but it still has to be maintained if not driving once a week since the parasitic draw is so high. And YES you can always Start the car with our built-in Jump STarting feature , but it is then at a very low State of Charge, so you have to make sure you put it on a Charger as soon as possible to get a soild FULL CHARGE back into the battery because even driving 1 or 2 hours will not put a FULL CHARGE back into a 60Ah Lithium Battery after being discharged to the point of having to use our RE-START feature. Anyway that is a bit of FYI stuff for any battery, not just Lithium.
Thank you for that info. Great to know. And for the record, my 30ah antigravity (tended) has never missed a beat on the scud which is definitely known for having electrical gremlins related to undercharged batteries. No codes, lights, gremlins. I do occasionally go a few days without tending if I know I'm going to drive it soon, but outside of that situation, its always tended and never lets me down. As for the 996, I just bought my buddy's 40ah (with re-start) off of him as he sold his car. Figured that although not as good as 60, its better than 30, and I'll keep it tended too (it was too good a deal to pass up). last question for you: I have the ctek special charger for my scud, but can I use a noco genious (with the lithium battery mode option) for my new battery, or do you recommend sticking with the c-tek charger that you guys recommend? I already have the noco but will buy the ctek if you guys state the noco is not ideal for these batteries.
The following 3 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
996TS (04-29-2023), Antigravity (04-20-2023), Steve Theodore (04-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Battery