Fueling car - gas pump occasionally, instantly, shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 09:27 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,076 Likes on 2,109 Posts
Default Fueling car - gas pump occasionally, instantly, shuts off

Hi Everyone,
My .1 GT3 will occasionally not take any fuel when filling up at certain pumps. Specifically, I’ll get 1/10 of a gallon, if that, and the pump immediately shuts off. I’ll typically then restart the car, go to a different pump and I’ll be able to refuel without issue. Maybe restarting does something with the pressure in the system? It may also occur more frequently after driving for a while vs a short amount of time but I cannot remember for certain. We don’t have the Vapor Recovery Pumps like California, so the gas tank adapter ring I bought has no effect on this situation.

From this thread it appears this part could fix the issue: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-line-fix.html

Does anyone have instructions on how to remove this, or has anyone done it? My mechanical skill is about a 1/10 to a 3/10, so if this is something I should leave with my dealer/mechanic, let me know, it seems somewhat easily accessible but with big hands, it was hard to get a grip on anything in that area when I took a look at it today. I just don’t want to break anything.

Any help is appreciated or if you think there’s another solution, let me know.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2023, 09:50 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

flip the gas pump handle upside down
The following 5 users liked this post by ngng:
Coop (04-15-2023), hardrs (06-19-2024), jreifler (04-12-2023), RAudi Driver (04-10-2023), TheKane (04-14-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 10:18 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngng
flip the gas pump handle upside down
Have tried that unfortunately, with the same result. Thanks for the input! I’m going to try a different Shell by my house and see if I get the same result. My technician doesn’t seem to think there’s an actual issue with my car as it sounds like he thinks when the valves fail, they don’t ever go back to normal operation.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Try a few different pumps. Pull codes. It could be the vent evaporate valve. Swapping it isn’t too hard it’s under the hood near the gas tank. There is a process on the factory code reader to test this part and the evap
Old 04-10-2023, 04:16 AM
ngng
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Have tried that unfortunately, with the same result. Thanks for the input! I’m going to try a different Shell by my house and see if I get the same result. My technician doesn’t seem to think there’s an actual issue with my car as it sounds like he thinks when the valves fail, they don’t ever go back to normal operation.
Good luck, it's always been hit or miss for me as well
Old 04-10-2023, 10:55 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

fwiw, I had issues with shutting off early on my 07RS, this is in ca with those hyper sensitive nozzles and the vapor capture, I added the sleeve to the filler and that helped.
on my old cars the turning it upside down works well.
Old 04-10-2023, 12:17 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 290 Posts

This adapter should work

Old 04-10-2023, 04:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Yeah that’s the part i put on mine.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:10 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 264 Posts

Does not sound like the adapter ring will fix what’s happening. Trouble filling up just the last bit seems to be resolved by the adapter ring, part # 997-201-944-0.

Your problem indeed sounds like a bad fuel tank vent purge valve. I cant tell from the diagram if 997.110.129.91 includes the same valve that when replaced, fixed the same issue for me on my GT2, but if this is it, its a ~$25 part:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsear...num=2891026900

Its in the upper left hand quadrant of the engine compartment above the intake manifold on the Turbo cars.

Guessing near the same place on the GT3.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:46 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Went to a different Shell today. Really didn't need gas, but wanted to test it out. Same style handle/filler/nozzle, but was able to instantly fuel without issue in normal position and flipped 180*. I'll continue to monitor it over the next couple of months, using that Shell. Really appreciate everyones input. My main concern was if the fuel vent valve in the engine bay needed to be replaced, how the connectors work. So if anyone has done that, let me know. Looks like one end you need to pull off, the other end has some sort of a connector, but really hard to tell. Then trying to get the hose back on, not sure if that'll slide on easily to the other part that is still in the engine bay or if some grease would be good/safe to use. Here's a pic of it. https://www.rosepassion.com/en/99711...se=USD&pays=US

Likely won't do anything for now until I can see if this is an issue or not.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Try a few different pumps. Pull codes. It could be the vent evaporate valve. Swapping it isn’t too hard it’s under the hood near the gas tank. There is a process on the factory code reader to test this part and the evap
Good point. This has been happening for a couple years and when my dealer scanned the car last year, it was clean (outside of a code that was for something they corrected), but I didn't specifically ask them to look into any fueling related concerns. So it's possible they just cleared it. Maybe this is my excuse to pickup a Durametric, which I've been considering.

Originally Posted by ngng
Good luck, it's always been hit or miss for me as well
Interesting that it isn't just me then. Since you're in CA, it may be due to the pump design out there vs an actual issue with the car since flipping the nozzle fixes it. Really appreciate the input.

fwiw, I had issues with shutting off early on my 07RS, this is in ca with those hyper sensitive nozzles and the vapor capture, I added the sleeve to the filler and that helped.
on my old cars the turning it upside down works well.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
This adapter should work
Thanks Mike! I put that on my car last year. But since we have these style fuel pumps (first pic), which don't actually fit around the filler neck (like the second pic), that didn't correct it for me. But really appreciate the input.

Yeah that’s the part i put on mine.
Originally Posted by mchrono
Does not sound like the adapter ring will fix what’s happening. Trouble filling up just the last bit seems to be resolved by the adapter ring, part # 997-201-944-0.

Your problem indeed sounds like a bad fuel tank vent purge valve. I cant tell from the diagram if 997.110.129.91 includes the same valve that when replaced, fixed the same issue for me on my GT2, but if this is it, its a ~$25 part:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsear...num=2891026900

Its in the upper left hand quadrant of the engine compartment above the intake manifold on the Turbo cars.

Guessing near the same place on the GT3.
Thanks so much for the help and input. Yes, in a similar spot on the GT3, but I think slightly more easily accessible. My main concern is removing the connector and understanding exactly how it works along with not breaking any of the hoses or plastic around it. I don't want to order the part if I choose to have my dealer install it, so I'll try and get a better look at it this week.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:24 PM
RAudi Driver
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,723 Posts

If you can add another variable to your equation. When you fill up, take note on how much gas you have before you start filling. See if this problem is an empty tank issue or if it also happenes when you have 3/4 of a tank of gas already in the car. Just a thought as you said it didn't happen on your last fill when you did not need gas.

Old 04-12-2023, 01:43 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

It's going to be random with the solenoid going bad.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:15 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
If you can add another variable to your equation. When you fill up, take note on how much gas you have before you start filling. See if this problem is an empty tank issue or if it also happenes when you have 3/4 of a tank of gas already in the car. Just a thought as you said it didn't happen on your last fill when you did not need gas.
Excellent point. I’m going to try and get some miles on it this weekend and hopefully burn through some more gas (old gas with fuel stabilizer from winter storage). If so, I’ll be able to test this soon. Curious what part would cause it to only be an issue when fuel is lower. Maybe something vacuum/pressure related where more/less air is sitting in the tank.

Originally Posted by mchrono
It's going to be random with the solenoid going bad.
By solenoid, you mean the part you replaced in the engine bay?
Old 04-12-2023, 10:03 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Excellent point. I’m going to try and get some miles on it this weekend and hopefully burn through some more gas (old gas with fuel stabilizer from winter storage). If so, I’ll be able to test this soon. Curious what part would cause it to only be an issue when fuel is lower. Maybe something vacuum/pressure related where more/less air is sitting in the tank.

By solenoid, you mean the part you replaced in the engine bay?
Yes for me at least the issue was the intermittently stuck purge valve solenoid, so there was no discernable pattern when I could fill the tank or not...worked at one gas station, not another, but then next time, the other way around. Did not make much of any difference how much fuel was in the tank, or any other variable. Drove myself a bit nutty trying to figure out a pattern that wasn't there.
Old 09-23-2023, 04:44 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Update: have been driving the car throughout the year. Out of maybe 8 fill-ups this season, it has happened 2x. When it spits out gas (refuses to fill), you can put the key into position 2 where the dash lights up, take the key out, then it fills. This makes me think there is some valve that is not releasing pressure. Car goes in soon for end of year service, so I'm going to bring it up and see what they can find. I'll keep everyone posted.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
RAudi Driver (09-23-2023), TheKane (10-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Fueling car - gas pump occasionally, instantly, shuts off