Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Money2536's Grey Black 997.2 GT3 RS Journal

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 11:29 AM
balucipher
Pro

Received 643 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I run Li ion batteries on my motorcycles and it's a whole other ball of wax to charge properly. I would also think the car would need some sort of setting to avoid maxing out the battery to full charge on every drive.
Antigravity batteries have the battery management built right into them so the car doesn't need to do anything different to charge it. The BMS handles everything. It's as close to plug and play as you can get.
The following 2 users liked this post by balucipher:
Antigravity (12-26-2022), Money2536 (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 03:40 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,012 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I'm not 100% sure about doing this swap, but I'm testing it out. Maybe some of you that know more about this could shed some light about the pitfalls of doing lithium ion batteries on these cars. I've read in passing they can cause problems. To add insult to injury, this isn't the exactly correct battery for the car. I'm fairly certain H6 Group 48 and T6 are the same thing with the exception of the T6 enclosure being a little shorter. I've had this T6 battery sitting on the shelf. I had bought one for each car in the past, and didn't get around to installing. One thing I do know is that the H8 sized battery that was in the car doesn't fit. It's too long and as just sitting there unclamped.

This is the H6 Group 48 60aH battery you would need: https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/

Dropping nearly 50 pounds off the car despite the possibility of a slight weight distribution change seems like a great trade-off. I pull all of the goofy stickers off the battery.
Hey Matt, good luck with your Giveaway Car, it looks awesome!

I wanted to clarify a couple things regarding our Lithium Battery. I saw you were asking some questions about putting it in this Car, and didn't seem to understand if the battery would work in this Car, so I wanted to give you in input.

- The Antigravity Battery will work perfectly fine in the Car. The Lithium Batteries can swap into the Cars without any issues. Its a drop in replacement Battery.

- Yes the T6 Size is exactly the same as the H6 Battery but simply has a SHORTER HEIGHT than the H6 but is the exact same internals, there will not be any issues for installation, being shorter will not harm anything. Things to note are..... IF you swap out any battery on the Modern Porsches you might (and in some cases, might not) get flags. This is simply due to the fact that during the change out of the battery the Car will know it has gone to ZERO volts, so upon the first start-8up and drive you might get some low-voltage flags or other flags that will go away after a drive as the car learns it has a battery in it again and the voltages are correct.

- Next you need to make sure that battery is in a good state of charge, you said it been sitting for a while.... I don't know if that means 6 months, a year, or longer. So you need to check if the battery still has a charge on it. So test it with a multimeter to see the state of charge, and check the voltage. If you've had that battery for a year and not recharged, or maintained it, it could be dead. Lithium, can hold a charge much longer than lead acid, but it will still over-discharge if left sitting for close to a year. If I remember correctly you put an Antigravity Battery in one of your other Cars about 2 years ago... so if the battery has been sitting that long then it could be completely dead from lack of any maintenance and locked out. So be sure to check it out.

- I see you wrote that you removed the "goofy stickers" , and while they might be goofy looking to you (which I completely understand) they actually would BENEFIT your Giveaway since the person entering the Giveaway will see you are using a top-brand Lithium Battery in your Car. I'm not trying to be snarky at all, but I'm saying the stickers do serve a function, they notify the future owner of this Giveway Car, or anyone working on the Car of the actual Brand of Battery they have in ther Car. They inform the new Giveaway Winner, or Mechanic who might be working on the CAr that the battery is a LITHIUM-ION Battery, which will allows them to know to use a LITHIUM CHARGER on the Battery. The stickers also inform the persons entering the Giveaway that they are getting a very high-end Antigravity Battery which is a considered one of the top brands of Lithium Batteries, and just as important the stickers informs them that the battery has the very cool "RE-START" feature which offers Built-in WIRELESS JUMP STARTING which is a massively cool feature. I assume there will be many entrants into your contest and not all of them will be the knowledgeable Rennlist Community. So they may not know what the battery actually is or can do without stickers on it telling them. Anyway just making that observation.

- Feel free to reach out to use with any questions, and please take a moment to test the battery if its been sitting on a shelf for a year. You can reach us as scott@antigravitybatteries, or Chad@antigravitybatteries for all the tech answers.

Last edited by Antigravity; 12-26-2022 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling
The following 2 users liked this post by Antigravity:
ElCid86 (12-28-2022), noporsche44 (12-28-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 05:45 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity

I wanted to clarify a couple things regarding our Lithium Battery. I saw you were asking some questions about putting it in this Car, and didn't seem to understand if the battery would work in this Car, so I wanted to give you in input.

- The Antigravity Battery will work perfectly fine in the Car. The Lithium Batteries can swap into the Cars without any issues. Its a drop in replacement Battery.

- Yes the T6 Size is exactly the same as the H6 Battery but simply has a SHORTER HEIGHT than the H6 but is the exact same internals, there will not be any issues for installation, being shorter will not harm anything. Things to note are..... IF you swap out any battery on the Modern Porsches you might (and in some cases, might not) get flags. This is simply due to the fact that during the change out of the battery the Car will know it has gone to ZERO volts, so upon the first start-8up and drive you might get some low-voltage flags or other flags that will go away after a drive as the car learns it has a battery in it again and the voltages are correct.

- Next you need to make sure that battery is in a good state of charge, you said it been sitting for a while.... I don't know if that means 6 months, a year, or longer. So you need to check if the battery still has a charge on it. So test it with a multimeter to see the state of charge, and check the voltage. If you've had that battery for a year and not recharged, or maintained it, it could be dead. Lithium, can hold a charge much longer than lead acid, but it will still over-discharge if left sitting for close to a year. If I remember correctly you put an Antigravity Battery in one of your other Cars about 2 years ago... so if the battery has been sitting that long then it could be completely dead from lack of any maintenance and locked out. So be sure to check it out.

- I see you wrote that you removed the "goofy stickers" , and while they might be goofy looking to you (which I completely understand) they actually would BENEFIT your Giveaway since the person entering the Giveaway will see you are using a top-brand Lithium Battery in your Car. I'm not trying to be snarky at all, but I'm saying the stickers do serve a function, they notify the future owner of this Giveway Car, or anyone working on the Car of the actual Brand of Battery they have in ther Car. They inform the new Giveaway Winner, or Mechanic who might be working on the CAr that the battery is a LITHIUM-ION Battery, which will allows them to know to use a LITHIUM CHARGER on the Battery. The stickers also inform the persons entering the Giveaway that they are getting a very high-end Antigravity Battery which is a considered one of the top brands of Lithium Batteries, and just as important the stickers informs them that the battery has the very cool "RE-START" feature which offers Built-in WIRELESS JUMP STARTING which is a massively cool feature. I assume there will be many entrants into your contest and not all of them will be the knowledgeable Rennlist Community. So they may not know what the battery actually is or can do without stickers on it telling them. Anyway just making that observation.

- Feel free to reach out to use with any questions, and please take a moment to test the battery if its been sitting on a shelf for a year. You can reach us as scott@antigravitybatteries, or Chad@antigravitybatteries for all the tech answers.

can a "dead" battery be brought back to life or is it garbage?
Old 12-26-2022, 10:51 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
@Money2536 - Question on the alcantara cleaning method - For those without a steamer, would you recommend a super-absorbent sponge to remove the cleaner / water after application and working into the fabric? I haven’t tried, but it seems like a better method than just swabbing at it with a towel ?
That sounds like a good idea. I used to use a fine misting spray bottle with distilled water in it.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:54 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity

Great input! I took all the logo'd stuff off and left the top and size barcoded sticker on it, so we knew what it was.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:24 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,012 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by my first 911
can a "dead" battery be brought back to life or is it garbage?
If it gets too low in voltage and over discharged and is truly dead the BMS would actually lock the battery out and it would no longer be usable. But the main point of the battery management system is to help protect against that aspect, when it initially shuts the battery down it does so where the battery is low but still in a good state of charge and not too low. One point of emphasis in regards to this is that we don't want to see the battery sit for too long of a duration (longer than a month) after the protections been triggered to avoid this. Hopefully that helps clarify.
The following users liked this post:
ElCid86 (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 10:18 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

I'm a little ahead of this after working on the car the past week, but here is an update on where I am at with it.

I'm telling you bros, you need one of these in your life.
Hytorc Centerlock Removal Tool: https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...y&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Last edited by Money2536; 12-28-2022 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 11:13 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 612 Posts

I'm a little ahead of this after working on the car the past week, but here is an update on where I am at with it.
https://youtu.be/Cy_zdvg_H8E

Hytorc Centerlock Removal Tool: https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...y&_ss=e&_v=1.0
If my garage was a tax write off I would def have one of those tools I wonder if it’s easy to use on the axle nut also.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 12-28-2022 at 11:25 PM.
Money2536 (12-29-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 11:21 PM
petekal6
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt,

Check out PMB Performance in Utah for brake caliper restoration. It may save you some $$$.

Here's their instagram that shows a lot of their results. Plus they'll properly paint them whatever color you want.
https://www.instagram.com/pmb_performance/

-Pete

Last edited by petekal6; 12-28-2022 at 11:25 PM.
Money2536 (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 01:29 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

My fiancé and I have been following along, we laughed when you said “guys and girl”… she probably is the only girl watching.

i think replacing the links with the stock parts is probably the best bet. I’m suspicious that working the rear back into a street camber and toe setting might have put some of those adjustments into the edge of their range. The rear of my car was super annoying to align with the stock parts. It took several times on the rack to be satisfied that it stayed. I sort of assumed that all those aftermarket links would make that easier by removing the rubber. If TPC says they’re still tricky to align with the metal bearings, it’s certainly possible.

as far as the oil change. The one that you said might be the fill is the second drain. The first thing you were looking at was the oil tank. You must counter hold the tank fitting with a larger wrench, or risk tearing the fitting off the tank when you remove its plug. The fill is on top of the engine.
Money2536 (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 03:13 PM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 418 Posts

Matt will be interesting to see if you go Tractive. As info is sparse on their coilovers. One large pro for the Tractive coilovers is it works with the OEM FAL system. So through the OEM button, Pump and hoses. I've heard some stories of issues with the Tractive shocks failing and leaking. For an expensive shocks that has me hesitant. Just doing the DSC box really helps on the street from a comfort level and I've put over 10,000 miles(Street & Track) on this combo. So maybe a fresh set of shocks + DSC box could be an option as well. Good luck!
Money2536 (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 04:06 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 492 Posts

The various plugs you noted are all on the engine case. Those are not related to the trans. You need to move towards the front of the car, remove the plastic cover to expose the transmission, and your trans drain and fill plugs will be there. Fill plug is on the driver's side behind the oil cooler.

The first oil drain plug you identified is for the oil reservoir. That's not a thing on the 981, but it is on Mezgers. The other drain plug is on the case itself (the one you thought might be for the diff).

Your drop links are definitely Tarrett, and they've put a Tarrett "kit" on your lower control arms. That's your stock control arm, upgraded with Tarrett monoball inner bushings, and thrust arm bushings.

Your rear lower toe arms are not stock. Stock are not adjustable. Yours look like they might also be Tarrett adjustable. Your upper "control arms" are Elephant Racing (ERP). Obviously defer to Tom / TPC on their suggestions, but unless you have issues with NVH from all the aftermarket stuff and solid bushings, I don't think going back to stock will help with the drivability issues you noted. If anything, you'll lose subtle adjustability and re-introduce relatively sloppy rubber bushings and other issues (like dynamic toe changing under load). I'd get a proper alignment by someone who knows these cars before you start swapping stuff.

There's a specific OE center cap removal tool that won't scuff. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU99XCLCC.html. Alternatively, a little hook and pick tool set will get them right out.

Re: shifting - Have you driven a 997GT without the Numeric? It's super notchy as is, and wildly more so with the Numeric. I recently installed on mine and it's a big difference.

Last edited by jreifler; 12-29-2022 at 04:34 PM.
Money2536 (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 04:47 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
My fiancé and I have been following along, we laughed when you said “guys and girl”… she probably is the only girl watching.

i think replacing the links with the stock parts is probably the best bet. I’m suspicious that working the rear back into a street camber and toe setting might have put some of those adjustments into the edge of their range. The rear of my car was super annoying to align with the stock parts. It took several times on the rack to be satisfied that it stayed. I sort of assumed that all those aftermarket links would make that easier by removing the rubber. If TPC says they’re still tricky to align with the metal bearings, it’s certainly possible.

as far as the oil change. The one that you said might be the fill is the second drain. The first thing you were looking at was the oil tank. You must counter hold the tank fitting with a larger wrench, or risk tearing the fitting off the tank when you remove its plug. The fill is on top of the engine.
Thanks for the input! I figured drain bolts were similar to 991.

Originally Posted by LμL
Matt will be interesting to see if you go Tractive. As info is sparse on their coilovers. One large pro for the Tractive coilovers is it works with the OEM FAL system. So through the OEM button, Pump and hoses. I've heard some stories of issues with the Tractive shocks failing and leaking. For an expensive shocks that has me hesitant. Just doing the DSC box really helps on the street from a comfort level and I've put over 10,000 miles(Street & Track) on this combo. So maybe a fresh set of shocks + DSC box could be an option as well. Good luck!
Yeah...I'm torn. I think I'm going to figure out the stock-ish set-up first then maybe try some fun stuff.

Originally Posted by jreifler
The various plugs you noted are all on the engine case. Those are not related to the trans. You need to move towards the front of the car, remove the plastic cover to expose the transmission, and your trans drain and fill plugs will be there. Fill plug is on the driver's side behind the oil cooler.

The first oil drain plug you identified is for the oil reservoir. That's not a thing on the 981, but it is on Mezgers. The other drain plug is on the case itself (the one you thought might be for the diff).

Your drop links are definitely Tarrett, and they've put a Tarrett "kit" on your lower control arms. That's your stock control arm, upgraded with Tarrett monoball inner bushings, and thrust arm bushings.

Your rear lower toe arms are not stock. Stock are not adjustable. Yours look like they might also be Tarrett adjustable. Your upper "control arms" are Elephant Racing (ERP). Obviously defer to Tom / TPC on their suggestions, but unless you have issues with NVH from all the aftermarket stuff and solid bushings, I don't think going back to stock will help with the drivability issues you noted. If anything, you'll lose subtle adjustability and re-introduce relatively sloppy rubber bushings and other issues (like dynamic toe changing under load). I'd get a proper alignment by someone who knows these cars before you start swapping stuff.

There's a specific OE center cap removal tool that won't scuff. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU99XCLCC.html. Alternatively, a little hook and pick tool set will get them right out.

Re: shifting - Have you driven a 997GT without the Numeric? It's super notchy as is, and wildly more so with the Numeric. I recently installed on mine and it's a big difference.
Good stuff! Thanks man!

Last edited by Money2536; 12-29-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 04:48 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petekal6
Matt,

Check out PMB Performance in Utah for brake caliper restoration. It may save you some $$$.

Here's their instagram that shows a lot of their results. Plus they'll properly paint them whatever color you want.
https://www.instagram.com/pmb_performance/

-Pete
Thanks for the tip. I just left them a message.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:18 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 612 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I just left them a message.
In my experience there are a few different ways to get the calipers done... in order of bulletproof-ness and cost.

Paint w/vinyl decal w/3 coat clear acrylic finish
Powder w/vinyl decal w/clear powder (only works with black decals as the heat will yellow anything else)
Powder w/Powder stencil then Powder clear (harder because it requires a 1/2 bake on the initial powder before the stencil)

The number of options you or 'they' can do with the actual pistons/seals prob requires its own thread, lots of trade offs but ultimately titanium wins, www.hayworthracingbrakes.com is also a good option

Last edited by Wonderdan; 12-29-2022 at 05:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wonderdan:
Dubber (12-30-2022), Money2536 (12-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Money2536's Grey Black 997.2 GT3 RS Journal