Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

TC Failure? Check Engine Light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 11:03 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts
Default TC Failure? Check Engine Light?

I just pulled my car out of storage. It sat in my in-law's heated garage on a battery tender but the battery went absolutely to zero anyway and I had to replace the battery which I did this afternoon. Car started immediately and ran smoothly and normally. Gauges all were normal for a cold start. While idling the TC failure dash light came on. I let the car warm up and then had a few things to do before driving. A few minutes later I took the car on a twenty mile drive home. At all times the engine was smooth with good power (I wasn't pushing it because I wasn't positive the tires were fully inflated although I didn't have any dash warnings on tire pressure). As I was approaching home the check engine light also came on. I have not had a CEL during my ownership to this point.

I don't have a code reader and I need to drive the car to work tomorrow as my wife's daily is in the shop. Can I drive it with the CEL? What's the most likely failure?
Why does the TC failure get triggered? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:45 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 272 Posts

I bet the “TC” traction control was triggered by battery issues. It may reset itself after driving it some. It shouldn’t be an issue driving it.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:06 AM
74goldtarga
Pro

Thanks. It hasn't reset yet, I am getting a tech inspection at my local independent next week. When I parked the car in the fall I had no codes so I am hoping it's just related to sitting and isn't some sensor failure or something.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 09:37 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,977 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Your airbag light should also be illuminated.
Old 04-29-2022, 01:10 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 316 Posts

Try doing a re-reset. Disconnect battery, maybe even charge it, and then connect again. Drive the car and see if it's back to normal.

JB
Robocop305 (04-29-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 08:11 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

I connected and disconnected the battery a couple of times in the process of a seat swap. Both the TC and the CEL cleared but incidentally it took multiple resets until the TC warning cleared. Thanks for the help. This isn't really that big a deal but it was nice to not have to arrange for shop time and expertise to get these cleared.
Robocop305 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 02:20 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Apparently there is a procedure to follow if a battery dies or is disconnected - likely the TC is shut off because I think the DME reads the steering angle sensor but does not know where center is, and it figures it out after you have driven the car a bit. My car is a RoW so it does not have some of these systems (like TPMS ). See the following :

DME
With the DME, it is necessary to carry out a learning and adaptation routine as described below:
Switch ignition on for 30 seconds without starting the engine. Do not actuate accelerator pedal.
This completes the adaptation of the throttle valve adjusting unit.

Steering angle sensor
The steering angle sensor must be re-initialised when the battery is disconnected and connected.
Turn wheels to straight-ahead position. Switch ignition off and then on again twice .
Start engine.
From the straight-ahead position, turn steering wheel approx. 20° to the right, past the
straight-ahead position .
Drive the vehicle straight ahead for at least one second at a speed above 4 km/h (2.5 mph) .
The steering angle sensor segment is recognized again in this process.
Once the sensor has been successfully initialized, the fault code that is stored in the fault memory is
documented using the fault deletion counter.
The fault memory erases itself automatically.
The PSM indicator light in the instrument cluster goes out.

Power Windows
The limit positions of the power windows are deleted from the control unit when the battery is
disconnected and connected. Perform the following procedure for all power windows:
Pull rocker switch and fully close window once .
Pull rocker switch once more.
The upper end position of the window is stored.
Press rocker switch and fully open window once.
Press rocker switch once more.
The lower end position of the window is stored.

Electrical steering column adjustment (ELVS)
The electrical steering column adjustment end positions (ELVS) are deleted when the battery is
disconnected and connected. The following buttons must be pressed in sequence in order to reinitializes electrical steering column adjustment.
Press the extend button three times (extend towards the driver) .
Press the retract button once .
Press the extend button once (towards the driver) .
Press the up button once .
Press the down button once .
Once the buttons have been pressed correctly, the steering column automatically moves all axles and
stops at the center position (only works when the vehicle is stationary).

Carry out a test drive after connecting the battery.

Motor for sunroof
The limit positions of the sunroof are deleted from the control unit when the battery is disconnected and connected. Switch on ignition.
Press the sunroof button for several seconds in direction of travel .
After approx. 10 seconds, the sunroof performs an automatic standardization process and resets
all positions. Keep the button pressed during the standardization process .
Afterwards, the sunroof is standardized correctly.

Tyre pressure monitoring system
When the battery is disconnected and connected, the tire pressure is first displayed as "- - - ".
Once the battery has been disconnected and work is complete, the vehicle must be driven for a
short distance. The actual pressures will then be displayed again.

Cheers,

Mike

The following 3 users liked this post by Mike J:
74goldtarga (05-04-2022), fayraree (04-01-2024), Robocop305 (05-04-2022)

Quick Reply: TC Failure? Check Engine Light?