Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 04:14 PM
Boostede36
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GT3 Buying Advice

Looking for some opinions on the potential purchase of a 997 GT3.

I have been looking for a 997.1 GT3 for the past couple of years for under $100k. Unfortunately as time passes these cars grow in value and more desirable examples are tougher to find in my price range.

I stumbled across a high mileage GT3 that is in rough shape. I’ll start with the bad; 90k miles, clutch is slipping, 1st gear synchro seems to be worn as it grinds when trying to put it in first while the car is rolling, RMS is moist, interior is in horrible condition(alacantra wheel is in desperate need of cleaning, seats are faded, buttons destroyed, and seat backs are very scratched), and I noticed a small oil leak at the front of the engine.
The good: body is clean and no accidents. Clean title.

The car was tracked about 30 times and I plan to run the DME to see how many over revs and in what range.

The car comes with no service records, called the dealerships and checked Porsche directory and no records after 2011 and 44k miles. Owner states all oil changes and plug changes were done by friend.

As far as value, what do you think this car should be going for? This is a private party sale and basically buying as is.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:34 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,154 Posts

Don't be surprised if the DME is clean or only has some range 1's and 2's. Redline on a 997 GT3 is 8400. Range 1 doesn't start until 9k. If a shift was not missed, it should be clean.

Does the owner have records from when oil was purchased and other parts were purchased? Even if done by a friend, I'd expect that he'd have some sort of documentation of the purchase of parts.

Regarding price, there's so few selling out there with this mileage that it's more about what you think it's worth rather than us being able to come up with a number. Based on your description above it needs a re-wrapped steering wheel ($300-500), some seat work (I'd probably just buy a used set of either OEM seats or Recaros for $3k), new buttons ($300), wrap the seat backs ($100 for vinyl). Transmission rebuild could be $7k (but could also be less if just replacing certain parts). New clutch for $1k. While that's out you could easily do the rear main seal. Sounds like the front main seal is also leaking. So to get the car up to good condition it's going to be over $10k.

I'd probably be looking to spend around $80k for an example like this and I'd also be weighing other cars you can get out there for the same or less money that are cleaner such as a Boxster Spyder or Cayman R. However, if you're willing to put in the work, you will have an amazing car that you can drive and enjoy. The miles don't concern me at all, just would want to know it has been taken care of up until this point and if not that you pay an appropriate price so that you can get it up to whatever condition you're happy with.

Best of luck and feel free to ask more as you're working through the buying process.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bxstr:
911 (04-22-2024), Hdizzle (04-18-2022), Robocop305 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 04:37 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 108 Posts

That car sounds like a mess and something that you're sure to find even more problems with as time goes on.

If I were you I would buy @drola car instead. Well sorted from a great seller. And in your price range. I'm assuming it's still for sale....
The following 2 users liked this post by jason95R:
RAudi Driver (04-12-2022), Robocop305 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 04:41 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

any way you could get a sampling of the oil? ... If the seller is willing to open the drain plug just a tad, to fill a small vial of the oil, I bet a quick over-night ship to Blackstone & pay for a rush analysis,... that could tell you a LOT about how the engine has been maintained.

.... that's just a thought off the top of my head. The seller might see that as a insult though,... so tread lightly.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 05:12 PM
PK911
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 38 Posts

If you have waited already a couple of years, can you wait a bit longer? Maybe a year? The market we are in today is highly abnormal and won't last forever. Inflation and upcoming rise in interest rates, expected slow down of the real estate industry, likely lengthy war in Ukraine, increase in subprime auto loan delinquencies, no more COVID financial support from the government, global markets which have adapted to COVID, people returning to the office and not having much time anymore to enjoy their toys (that's me :-( ), etc. To me, all these signs indicate the beginning of the end of this hyper inflation of luxury goods (including GT cars).

If you want a car now, Drola's car could likely be a better option than the one you are looking at.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:38 PM
Boostede36
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Don't be surprised if the DME is clean or only has some range 1's and 2's. Redline on a 997 GT3 is 8400. Range 1 doesn't start until 9k. If a shift was not missed, it should be clean.

Does the owner have records from when oil was purchased and other parts were purchased? Even if done by a friend, I'd expect that he'd have some sort of documentation of the purchase of parts.

Regarding price, there's so few selling out there with this mileage that it's more about what you think it's worth rather than us being able to come up with a number. Based on your description above it needs a re-wrapped steering wheel ($300-500), some seat work (I'd probably just buy a used set of either OEM seats or Recaros for $3k), new buttons ($300), wrap the seat backs ($100 for vinyl). Transmission rebuild could be $7k (but could also be less if just replacing certain parts). New clutch for $1k. While that's out you could easily do the rear main seal. Sounds like the front main seal is also leaking. So to get the car up to good condition it's going to be over $10k.

I'd probably be looking to spend around $80k for an example like this and I'd also be weighing other cars you can get out there for the same or less money that are cleaner such as a Boxster Spyder or Cayman R. However, if you're willing to put in the work, you will have an amazing car that you can drive and enjoy. The miles don't concern me at all, just would want to know it has been taken care of up until this point and if not that you pay an appropriate price so that you can get it up to whatever condition you're happy with.

Best of luck and feel free to ask more as you're working through the buying process.

I was thinking of a similar estimate for refurbishment, but my concern is the gearbox may take most of the budget.

Regarding considering other models, the only other cars I would consider would be a 997.2 GT3 or 991 GT3, but they are obviously out of my price range. I have been obsessed with the GT3 for the last 7 years and feel it is the best car for my intended purposes.
Robocop305 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 05:40 PM
Boostede36
Instructor

Originally Posted by jason95R
That car sounds like a mess and something that you're sure to find even more problems with as time goes on.

If I were you I would buy @drola car instead. Well sorted from a great seller. And in your price range. I'm assuming it's still for sale....
It sold.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boostede36:
RAudi Driver (04-12-2022), Robocop305 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 05:42 PM
Boostede36
Instructor

Originally Posted by bweSteve
any way you could get a sampling of the oil? ... If the seller is willing to open the drain plug just a tad, to fill a small vial of the oil, I bet a quick over-night ship to Blackstone & pay for a rush analysis,... that could tell you a LOT about how the engine has been maintained.

.... that's just a thought off the top of my head. The seller might see that as a insult though,... so tread lightly.
i will run the DME and I know he has changed the oil yearly. In fact he just did an oil change on the car in preparation of the sale. Not sure a black stone analysis will tell me more than what I can gather from these two sources of information.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:51 PM
Boostede36
Instructor

Originally Posted by PK911
If you have waited already a couple of years, can you wait a bit longer? Maybe a year? The market we are in today is highly abnormal and won't last forever. Inflation and upcoming rise in interest rates, expected slow down of the real estate industry, likely lengthy war in Ukraine, increase in subprime auto loan delinquencies, no more COVID financial support from the government, global markets which have adapted to COVID, people returning to the office and not having much time anymore to enjoy their toys (that's me :-( ), etc. To me, all these signs indicate the beginning of the end of this hyper inflation of luxury goods (including GT cars).

If you want a car now, Drola's car could likely be a better option than the one you are looking at.
i am in no rush to buy a car. I can wait, but my concern is that I don’t foresee GT3 prices going down. I think this is the new normal. I noticed that 996 GT3 prices started climbing pre pandemic and now it is normal to see a low mileage car fetch $100k. I think the prices we are seeing are the results of an upward trend as opposed to a bubble that will burst.

also the car has a clean title with no accidents. I hope that with some rehab work it could be brought back to a respectable condition. I am not looking to flip this car, but rather keep this car for the long term and one day pass down to my son who is now 7 months old. Lol. That’s why I don’t mind doing the work slowly through the years at my pace. Hopefully save some money in the process. I am just concerned with the price and how to value a vehicle like this. It needs ALOT of work. Can’t stress that enough. 😂

Robocop305 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 07:34 PM
drola
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostede36
It sold.
hello all, actually the ebay buyer backed because of total ignorance about titles, which he should have looked into before committing to buy.
so the car is available and i will repost it once the 48 hours pass for ebay to cancel the transaction.
let me know if anyone has any questions. Car is sorted, all maintenance done and needs nothing to be enjoyed today
Robocop305 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 11:36 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 272 Posts

Drolas car is awesome. I have seeng it in person several times. A total beast and well sorted.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:41 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostede36
i am in no rush to buy a car. I can wait, but my concern is that I don’t foresee GT3 prices going down. I think this is the new normal. I noticed that 996 GT3 prices started climbing pre pandemic and now it is normal to see a low mileage car fetch $100k. I think the prices we are seeing are the results of an upward trend as opposed to a bubble that will burst.

also the car has a clean title with no accidents. I hope that with some rehab work it could be brought back to a respectable condition. I am not looking to flip this car, but rather keep this car for the long term and one day pass down to my son who is now 7 months old. Lol. That’s why I don’t mind doing the work slowly through the years at my pace. Hopefully save some money in the process. I am just concerned with the price and how to value a vehicle like this. It needs ALOT of work. Can’t stress that enough. 😂
I totally agree with you regarding value. Prices won’t come down with these limited production cars. They are awesome and people have discovered that analog cars are better for the driving experience and the connection to the road. They will keep climbing in value. The bubble will burst on regular currently production cars but not these highly and limited wanted cars. For me?…..there is no substitute to a 997 GT3. Perfect size between the old and the new, analog, Mezger, manual………..
The following 3 users liked this post by Robocop305:
Boostede36 (04-12-2022), flat6fan18 (04-12-2022), Joe Cho (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 10:06 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,977 Likes on 1,764 Posts

If ya can't get a well sorted Gt3, get an M2 Competition! They run like no tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:25 AM
flat6fan18
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 137 Posts

I second drola’s car. He seems very transparent about the vehicle, work that’s been done.

M2 Comp is nice, but unfortunately, does not compare to a 997 GT3. I got rid of my M2 Comp and got into my 7.1 haha

Best of luck, OP
The following 2 users liked this post by flat6fan18:
Boostede36 (04-12-2022), Robocop305 (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 10:32 AM
drola
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 120 Posts

relisted on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134083785013

Quick Reply: GT3 Buying Advice