Gt3 substitute??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2022 | 11:22 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 223 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
Nothing like a manual 997 GT3!
You need to drive a nice sorted 964 hotrod...
The following 2 users liked this post by delanobe:
jreifler (02-05-2022), Turbo Racer (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022 | 12:20 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,075 Likes on 391 Posts

Great thread. Been down this road and sadly and they all lead back to 997 chassis GT cars.

My thoughts on a few of the cars that came up:
- E92 M3: one of my favorite DD's. Comfortable, sporty, practical for space; amazing motor. Highly recommend.
- 981 GT4: great chassis; anemic motor. Spyder a great option on how to experience it for more street focus
-991.1 GT3 RS: Agree that 991's are only really engaging when going REALLY fast on track. Otherwise, not the greatest on street.
-991.2 GTS: current daily and a really great car as are all GTS's. I call it GT2 lite because it has all the fun of a boosted motor but RWD and all the street comfort you could ask for. The motor needs an exhaust to make it sound decent. Worth test driving.

Which leads me to something I picked up in your response. You say you loved the 996 turbo but wish it was RWD. They make that car - it's called a GT2 Why not consider a 996 or 997 GT2? 996 is the most raw and arguably best looking of 996 gen. Nice guards red one for sale on Pcar right now. There is a cultish following around these cars for a reason. Highly recommend taking a look.
The following users liked this post:
ljmartyre (02-06-2022)
Old 02-04-2022 | 01:48 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Hmmm, all of those sound delicious too. I'm not in the BMW camp myself,... but all the suggestions of GT350R, Shelby GT350, Boss302 (all in manual) sound like fun, even for the street. I still own my 1968 & '69 Camaro RS/SS 396/375's, so at least I get to scratch the ol skool itch all the time too.

but then the suggestions of the 981 Spyder, 718 Spyder, or even a Cayman GTS 4.0 in manual would be fun too. Except for me, since I also still own my 1991 964 Turbo, I am leaning towards a top-down variant (hence the Spyder), since that would be a cool compliment to my stable. 1st world problems dreaming about that next car....

Good thing for you Turbo Racer, is that you are KEEPING your 997.2 GT3RS. THAT car is the foundation of your entire drivers collection. I only really drive the back roads too (few AutoX & DE thrown in)

Reslly great comments here. I am the caretaker of my dad’s 1967 corvette stingray that has been in the family since 1979. It’s a fun car and gets a lot of attention but needs some work on the suspension and steering to tighten things up a little and bring it to the next level.

I have put my name on a list for new z06 and been told that it’ll be 2-3 years and gt500 heritage edition with cftp and told that I need to pay $30k over once allocations open up. I’m first on that one but honestly I feel like a $100k for a mustang plus adm is insane and I won’t do that.

Likewise, with 718 spyder, those look cool and a lot of fun tbh. I went on the Porsche sight and specced one out and was well into six figures with that build so I looked at a few dealers and only found 1 or 2. I may have read this wrong but I saw one was asking 30k over sticker. You guys who know, is this correct?

The Gt3rs is a keeper. There is just no question about that. The car is just so good at everything

#Keeper
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbo Racer:
point2point (02-04-2022), Robocop305 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-04-2022 | 01:52 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
entry was a 3.2 carrera then a 964 and a 71. You need to decide if you are an old car person have the patience and mentality and a good shop.

best way is buy a “done done” car and bring an open wallet.
I think I have the stomach for it. Not sure how hard these cars are to work on but rebuilt my trucks front suspension and brakes myself. Also think there are some good shops I can use as a resource. Working through your 1971 build thread. Pretty awesome journey!
Old 02-04-2022 | 01:58 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Great thread. Been down this road and sadly and they all lead back to 997 chassis GT cars.

My thoughts on a few of the cars that came up:
- E92 M3: one of my favorite DD's. Comfortable, sporty, practical for space; amazing motor. Highly recommend.
- 981 GT4: great chassis; anemic motor. Spyder a great option on how to experience it for more street focus
-991.1 GT3 RS: Agree that 991's are only really engaging when going REALLY fast on track. Otherwise, not the greatest on street.
-991.2 GTS: current daily and a really great car as are all GTS's. I call it GT2 lite because it has all the fun of a boosted motor but RWD and all the street comfort you could ask for. The motor needs an exhaust to make it sound decent. Worth test driving.

Which leads me to something I picked up in your response. You say you loved the 996 turbo but wish it was RWD. They make that car - it's called a GT2 Why not consider a 996 or 997 GT2? 996 is the most raw and arguably best looking of 996 gen. Nice guards red one for sale on Pcar right now. There is a cultish following around these cars for a reason. Highly recommend taking a look.
I did allude to the gt2 and I’m glad you picked up on it. I have seen that red one and I will be following it with interest. I think with todays feeding frenzy, seller would’ve done better on listing with bat. I think the prices of those cars have doubled over the last 12 months. Looks like a fellow rler bought the salvaged gt2 on bat and the other one that sold last week went for 250k! I remember when switch cars had a 2009 gt2 black one I believe, last year. I was seriously tempted to buy it. Instead, I bought a brand new huracan evo back of sticker. No regrets on that purchase.
ChrisF (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022 | 02:31 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,075 Likes on 391 Posts

I think the 09 GT2 is somewhat of a grail car with something like 11 in N. America. It's not much different than the 08's but has the .2 interior/PCM which is a nice touch. Expect they will fetch insane prices from now on.

Agree that the seller would do better on BaT. Just not as big an audience on Pcar. Who knows; maybe it'll end up in DealTank.

I think you're in a great position. You already have the the 3RS and some other great cars. Maybe try a couple and find the one that really fits the niche you're looking for.
Old 02-04-2022 | 06:39 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by delanobe
You need to drive a nice sorted 964 hotrod...
+1. I still don’t know whether I like my 964 more or 6GT3 more. Though if I had to trade one to get in an RS, it wouldn’t be the 964, so maybe that tells me something.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sirenty:
997rs4.0 (02-05-2022), Turbo Racer (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022 | 07:35 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I think the 09 GT2 is somewhat of a grail car with something like 11 in N. America. It's not much different than the 08's but has the .2 interior/PCM which is a nice touch. Expect they will fetch insane prices from now on.

Agree that the seller would do better on BaT. Just not as big an audience on Pcar. Who knows; maybe it'll end up in DealTank.

I think you're in a great position. You already have the the 3RS and some other great cars. Maybe try a couple and find the one that really fits the niche you're looking for.
You called it. I think he wants $210 for a modified car that he reported having some rock chips that were touched up and then covered with ppf. It looked really nice with the carbon fiber in it. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this end up at GP Motors in a couple of weeks with a high asking price.
Old 02-04-2022 | 07:40 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sirenty
+1. I still don’t know whether I like my 964 more or 6GT3 more. Though if I had to trade one to get in an RS, it wouldn’t be the 964, so maybe that tells me something.
i’m intrigued. Looks like the 964 has really taken off lately. If I recall correctly, Singer has use this body style to make their recreations because the 911‘s were too expensive to start with or something? I’ve heard person after person saying how much they love these cars. What is it about them that makes them stand out?
Old 02-04-2022 | 10:46 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Racer
i’m intrigued. Looks like the 964 has really taken off lately. If I recall correctly, Singer has use this body style to make their recreations because the 911‘s were too expensive to start with or something? I’ve heard person after person saying how much they love these cars. What is it about them that makes them stand out?
I wish I knew. I had a ‘90 C4 with LWFW that stalls at just about every stop. Then there was the rotting wire harness connectors in the trunk, the dual distributors, and all the plastic body panels that looked more like aftermarket than Porsche.

An RS America might be interesting.

Just one man’s opinion, but I kept the C4 for a couple of years before selling it. I’ve kept my GT3 since 2006 (I put over 140K miles on my GT3 ( so far)). That should tell you something.

Cars I might consider would be a Spyder if I wanted a newer replacement or a 1987-89 Carrera (with tail) if going retro. But, you can’t always go back. Reliving the past often looses the magic it once had. So, I wouldn’t call either of those cars a “substitute”.

997 GT3 RS. Hard living at the peak of the mountain, eh?
The following 3 users liked this post by Marv:
ChrisF (02-04-2022), stpatsday (02-04-2022), Turbo Racer (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022 | 10:04 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 358 Posts

11-13 E93, the top down experience is not found in the coupe or sedan.
Joe Cho (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022 | 10:25 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 188 Posts

I’ll caveat that I am using a well modified, weight reduced 964 as comparison. Weight drops into the 2700s when the tank is half full, RS interior, LWFW (with no stalling issues), tight rebuild with a custom tune, 350/550 MCS coilovers with monoballs, though I had 600/800 Cup suspension on it earlier, which was amazing for feel. 993 brake conversion with Big Reds up front. Car has no issues and needs nothing except a respray due to track life/poor previous resprays. (Though I don’t know when I will get to that, because I can drive it anywhere now and not worry about it) I have more RS bits going on, and sunroof delete, as I try to get weight into the 2600s. Comparing a stock 964 or slightly modified isn’t the same. It’d be like comparing a 997 to a GT3.

The Gt3 has Euro Buckets, 500/700 MCS coilovers, LWFW, and mufflers.

The reason I like the 964 is the raw-ness and sensory input it gives. How much you can feel through your hands and butt. The GT3 is good too, but I feel more through the steering wheel in the 964 and it feels sharper, despite similar alignment settings. The GT3 has good steering feel, but not on par with the 964. The 964 has a golden rod/RS shifter, and it feels so direct. I don’t know if you can get that feel with cables? My 964 is so tight that it reacts to the slightest inputs, so you can put the car exactly where you want.

And of course, there is always the slow car fast. I can’t be on the track all the time, and I go for drives every weekend. I can wring out the 964 on backroads, and the smallness of the car makes it intimate and feel like you are going faster than you are.

Spyerx mentioned an older 2200 lb car with 300+hp. That would be amazing, and I would probably take that over my 964. I had an SC before the 964 that weighed 2500 lbs, and I am chasing the feel of that car with my 964. The manual steering, the mechanical feel of the cable clutch and 915, the lightness. It was sensory overload. I never had so much fun going 40 mph. A Volvo would smoke it, but so what. I regret not buying that car back, but my main hesitation is the oldness and primitive technology everywhere. Another reason I like the 964 is it is the right blend of classic and modern.

I’ve only had the GT3 a short time, and am still learning about it. I love the engine and the noises it makes. I haven’t been able to try out the new coilovers at all. It may very well rise above once I get the suspension dialed in and actually get it on track and feel what it is truly capable of. If I can get it to have the feel the 964 does, oh boy.

Last edited by Sirenty; 02-05-2022 at 10:27 AM.
ljmartyre (02-06-2022)
Old 02-05-2022 | 12:21 PM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Camaro ZL1 1LE 6 speed 😉

Originally Posted by Turbo Racer
I have thought about those cars and I think they are really amazing. I just say a beautiful CS cross the block on BAT in the $250k range this morning. I’m looking for something I can drive a bit more on a daily with similar input and feel maybe without as much attention and a bit lower price point.
Turbo Racer (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022 | 01:00 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Liquid911
Camaro ZL1 1LE 6 speed 😉
Haha! Yes. That car is a monster on the track. I bought one after the ring time was published brand new for a bout $6-7k back of sticker and drove it about 5k miles. It was a true beast. Went to many tracks and I really only drove the car at the track and too and from. The data logging app that came with the car was awesome too. I could review my sessions immediately after and look at my line. Such a great way to improve. I did not like driving the car on the street however. Bone shaker. Just very uncomfortable at any speed. But on the track, it was a complete blast. Faster than the gt350s and a lot of Porsches. Great car if you don’t care too much for street ride quality.

Liquid911 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022 | 01:24 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sirenty
I’ll caveat that I am using a well modified, weight reduced 964 as comparison. Weight drops into the 2700s when the tank is half full, RS interior, LWFW (with no stalling issues), tight rebuild with a custom tune, 350/550 MCS coilovers with monoballs, though I had 600/800 Cup suspension on it earlier, which was amazing for feel. 993 brake conversion with Big Reds up front. Car has no issues and needs nothing except a respray due to track life/poor previous resprays. (Though I don’t know when I will get to that, because I can drive it anywhere now and not worry about it) I have more RS bits going on, and sunroof delete, as I try to get weight into the 2600s. Comparing a stock 964 or slightly modified isn’t the same. It’d be like comparing a 997 to a GT3.

The Gt3 has Euro Buckets, 500/700 MCS coilovers, LWFW, and mufflers.

The reason I like the 964 is the raw-ness and sensory input it gives. How much you can feel through your hands and butt. The GT3 is good too, but I feel more through the steering wheel in the 964 and it feels sharper, despite similar alignment settings. The GT3 has good steering feel, but not on par with the 964. The 964 has a golden rod/RS shifter, and it feels so direct. I don’t know if you can get that feel with cables? My 964 is so tight that it reacts to the slightest inputs, so you can put the car exactly where you want.

And of course, there is always the slow car fast. I can’t be on the track all the time, and I go for drives every weekend. I can wring out the 964 on backroads, and the smallness of the car makes it intimate and feel like you are going faster than you are.

Spyerx mentioned an older 2200 lb car with 300+hp. That would be amazing, and I would probably take that over my 964. I had an SC before the 964 that weighed 2500 lbs, and I am chasing the feel of that car with my 964. The manual steering, the mechanical feel of the cable clutch and 915, the lightness. It was sensory overload. I never had so much fun going 40 mph. A Volvo would smoke it, but so what. I regret not buying that car back, but my main hesitation is the oldness and primitive technology everywhere. Another reason I like the 964 is it is the right blend of classic and modern.

I’ve only had the GT3 a short time, and am still learning about it. I love the engine and the noises it makes. I haven’t been able to try out the new coilovers at all. It may very well rise above once I get the suspension dialed in and actually get it on track and feel what it is truly capable of. If I can get it to have the feel the 964 does, oh boy.
I really appreciate the write up here! Also would like to hear your thoughts on the gt3. Looks like you have a 996? I think this is more of what I’m looking for in a car. I have had the good fortune to have some over the top cars and the attention is nice, but what I really like is having a fun drive with nice tunes through winding roads where I can push a bit and have a great experience.

In my 997.2 Gt3rs I just feel like I’m going so much faster than I am. My last drive I was just blown away at how much fun I was having. I kept looking at my gauges thinking I better slow down, but no, I wouldn’t be getting a ticket unless a cop was having a very bad day. I was just having so much fun, I thought, this can’t be legal lol but it was. The funny thing about this car was that I wasn’t even thinking about buying one at all. I was shopping for a 996 gt2 about 6 years ago and I kept seeing these Gt3rs cars show up. The 991.1 Gt3rs had been out for just a short time and the dealers were living large off the feeding frenzy. I guess much the same as the 992 gt3 right now

therer weren’t many 997.2 Gt3rs cars for sale but I bought a great car and it continues to impress me. I think the problem is, as many have stated before, that in order to experience how amazing these cars are with respect to driving characteristics and all, it’s probably best done on a racetrack because of the speed needed to induce these feelings for me.

With the 997.2 Gt3rs, I find just as much pleasure and maybe more on the road, than on the track. That said, this car will hit 160 mph down the straight going into nascar 1 on auto club speedway. #highly recommended #YOLO lol.

Quick Reply: Gt3 substitute??