Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Gt3 substitute??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 01:56 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Racer
I really appreciate the write up here! Also would like to hear your thoughts on the gt3. Looks like you have a 996? I think this is more of what I’m looking for in a car. I have had the good fortune to have some over the top cars and the attention is nice, but what I really like is having a fun drive with nice tunes through winding roads where I can push a bit and have a great experience.

In my 997.2 Gt3rs I just feel like I’m going so much faster than I am. My last drive I was just blown away at how much fun I was having. I kept looking at my gauges thinking I better slow down, but no, I wouldn’t be getting a ticket unless a cop was having a very bad day. I was just having so much fun, I thought, this can’t be legal lol but it was. The funny thing about this car was that I wasn’t even thinking about buying one at all. I was shopping for a 996 gt2 about 6 years ago and I kept seeing these Gt3rs cars show up. The 991.1 Gt3rs had been out for just a short time and the dealers were living large off the feeding frenzy. I guess much the same as the 992 gt3 right now

therer weren’t many 997.2 Gt3rs cars for sale but I bought a great car and it continues to impress me. I think the problem is, as many have stated before, that in order to experience how amazing these cars are with respect to driving characteristics and all, it’s probably best done on a racetrack because of the speed needed to induce these feelings for me.

With the 997.2 Gt3rs, I find just as much pleasure and maybe more on the road, than on the track. That said, this car will hit 160 mph down the straight going into nascar 1 on auto club speedway. #highly recommended #YOLO lol.
I'm confused as to what you are looking for?

A 996 GT3 is just going to have more rough edges than a 997 and a lot more than a 991. Forget about a stereo in the 6GT3. You won't hear it unless you have some aftermarket sound system installed, but that's just like putting peanut butter on a steak sandwich.

Don't get me wrong, the 6GT3 is a great car, look how many miles I have put on mine, but there are better canyon cruisers out there if you are mostly looking for the romance of spirited sight seeing drives with music. Maybe a 991 GT3 Touring is that car?
Old 02-05-2022, 02:53 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I went the other way. Antiques. Stupid built hot rods. my 71 is 300hp 8k rpm 185 section tires 2200 lbs. shirt stack gearbox lsd setup suspension you want visceral?
My vote
The following users liked this post:
Turbo Racer (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 04:56 PM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I also have a Z06, in terms of power, performance and engagement its on another level compared to my RS. Running a BTR stage cam, ARH headers, suspension, brakes etc, the experience is intoxicating whilst not breaking the bank. The OP should not rule it out.

Originally Posted by point2point
My daily is a C6 Z06. I love the combination of manual transmission and large displacement naturally aspirated engine presented in a comfortable and low effort driving experience. It looks pretty handsome to my eyes and makes very nice V8 noises.

It can also get down and boogie when you're in the mood. My car has a mild cam and ported heads and makes 524hp to the wheels. Cornering is taken care of by 285 front tires and 335 rear tires. Driven smoothly, it's a monster on the track. It would really take a decent driver in a GT3 to stay in front.

The Z06 is not as precise a driving tool as my GT3, but it's a very different experience with its own virtues.

The following 2 users liked this post by Liquid911:
limitedslip (02-07-2022), point2point (02-06-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 04:59 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

I would definitely get a well sorted 964. I went down that route about a year ago. Best decision I’ve made. Love driving it on the road. And I take it on track a few times per year, will be doing Manthey track day in August at the Nurburgring in Sep with a great group of aircooled guys.
I run a 996gt3 stripped out to cup spec on most track days. Obviously a complelty different experience and my go to track tool. But, for street driving the 964 is amazing. Enough power to have fun and row thru the gears, I’ve so far focused on getting all the car input parts right. Steering, brakes, shifting, suspension, throttle response, seats and sound.
you won’t regret going back to a classic.

Best street car

For the track.
The following 3 users liked this post by 997rs4.0:
limitedslip (02-07-2022), Robocop305 (02-06-2022), stpatsday (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 05:30 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Some people might say I’m all over the place, and they may not be wrong at all. I have a love for the old 911 and seeing some of the ads for the vintage cars and even not so vintage, is an eye opener!

Visceral is compelling. Your car seems like it would be a blast to drive and I could imagine cruising through the mountains above Malibu in it! How did you get started on your journey?
When I took delivery of my 981 Spyder and began to experience its thrills, I said I’d never sell that car. I still feel that way. I’ve since added a second car to that category. I bought an 89 G series 911 Carrera. It takes me back 30+ years to the raw first Porsche I bought as a college kid, a 77 911 S. I love my two 981 Porsches, however the ability to slip into this antique time machine is really a special experience. It really showcases how much cars have evolved over 3 short decades. Modern cars are so easy to driver comparatively speaking. This old car requires full attention to the driving task, and you can take that bulletproof engine to redline in more gears before getting to “go to jail” speeds. This increased driver involvement is rewarding in a special way no modern car can duplicate. And talk about an attention getter. I’ve had many people ask me if I’d sell it in the 18 months I’ve owned it. Mine is a cream puff with only 51k miles. Cars with that mileage are getting pretty expensive judging by BAT sales recently. However I wouldn’t be afraid to pick up a high mileage well maintained example at a discounted price since if well taken care of these cars will go many many trouble free miles.
997rs4.0 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 06:13 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
When I took delivery of my 981 Spyder and began to experience its thrills, I said I’d never sell that car. I still feel that way. I’ve since added a second car to that category. I bought an 89 G series 911 Carrera. It takes me back 30+ years to the raw first Porsche I bought as a college kid, a 77 911 S. I love my two 981 Porsches, however the ability to slip into this antique time machine is really a special experience. It really showcases how much cars have evolved over 3 short decades. Modern cars are so easy to driver comparatively speaking. This old car requires full attention to the driving task, and you can take that bulletproof engine to redline in more gears before getting to “go to jail” speeds. This increased driver involvement is rewarding in a special way no modern car can duplicate. And talk about an attention getter. I’ve had many people ask me if I’d sell it in the 18 months I’ve owned it. Mine is a cream puff with only 51k miles. Cars with that mileage are getting pretty expensive judging by BAT sales recently. However I wouldn’t be afraid to pick up a high mileage well maintained example at a discounted price since if well taken care of these cars will go many many trouble free miles.
'89 Carrera is an extraordinary car.

I missed buying one by one test drive.

As soon as I rolled off the lot with it someone saw me and immediately put a deposit on it before I returned. One hell of a ride. I was thinking as I rolled in that this was going to be my car only to get apologies from the seller. Sold.

Mark Dreyer (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 07:04 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid911
I also have a Z06, in terms of power, performance and engagement its on another level compared to my RS. Running a BTR stage cam, ARH headers, suspension, brakes etc, the experience is intoxicating whilst not breaking the bank. The OP should not rule it out.

z06 looks planted! I love that. What year is yours?
Old 02-05-2022, 07:12 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marv
I'm confused as to what you are looking for?

A 996 GT3 is just going to have more rough edges than a 997 and a lot more than a 991. Forget about a stereo in the 6GT3. You won't hear it unless you have some aftermarket sound system installed, but that's just like putting peanut butter on a steak sandwich.

Don't get me wrong, the 6GT3 is a great car, look how many miles I have put on mine, but there are better canyon cruisers out there if you are mostly looking for the romance of spirited sight seeing drives with music. Maybe a 991 GT3 Touring is that car?
love that line! I know I’m all over the place and it’s because I honestly don’t know what would be a good next choice for me. I am getting a lot of great suggestions and I do like the 964 suggestions and even the z06. I did really love the 996 turbos I’ve had and everyone I knew back in the day just raved about the gt3 back when 6speedonline was a thing and we used to meet all the time. Never owned one and am curious.

Also curious about what you 964 guys do for mods? Suspension work, brakes, etc?

Old 02-05-2022, 07:18 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I would definitely get a well sorted 964. I went down that route about a year ago. Best decision I’ve made. Love driving it on the road. And I take it on track a few times per year, will be doing Manthey track day in August at the Nurburgring in Sep with a great group of aircooled guys.
I run a 996gt3 stripped out to cup spec on most track days. Obviously a complelty different experience and my go to track tool. But, for street driving the 964 is amazing. Enough power to have fun and row thru the gears, I’ve so far focused on getting all the car input parts right. Steering, brakes, shifting, suspension, throttle response, seats and sound.
you won’t regret going back to a classic.

Best street car

For the track.
‘you’re cars are beautiful and I am a little envious that you get to race in the ring! That is something I would like to try at least once! I am leaning towards the older tech cars. With the 964, there is the regular carrera and the s. Are there any significant differences in getting one over the other?
Old 02-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I like these too! I almost bought one several years ago. It was blue/blue g50 and I regret not doing so. For some reason all the new/newer cars I own don’t last for more than a few months and I would enjoy just settling in to a nice car that I can work on and have driving.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:49 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 492 Posts

I am looking for a car that I can drive a bit more all around that handles and performs well and ride quality is pretty good.

Overall, I’m looking for a car with a sense of excitement and driver experience.

Any thoughts?
Not sure I’ll ever do it myself unless I stop tracking my GT4 for some reason, but the Vette and Camaro suggestions seem on point for your criteria. I’ve instructed / driven a bunch of them, and they’re wildly capable, reliable, compliant, and not quite as intense as your RS.

Also endorse E92 M3 or even E46. That would be my choice for something more “refined” than the Chevy bunch, more livable than your RS, but still super engaging, reliable, and high-performing. The S54 motor is a real gem, in particular. It’s no Mezger, but absolutely one of the best production car engines ever made. Super linear and balanced.

I nod vigorously in agreement while reading the 930 and 964 comments, but with respect, those don’t satisfy your stated criteria at all. They are everything a driver’s car should be IMO, and you should 100% eventually own one as a Porsche lover, but they are not cars that you’ll drive more often, or more easily. If anything, they’re a more “demanding” driving experience than a 997, insofar as they’re less technologically advanced, and require a good bit of attention and intention to drive well.

Off-brand suggestion, and not really practical in any way, but . . . NSX ?

The following 2 users liked this post by jreifler:
ljmartyre (02-06-2022), Turbo Racer (02-06-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 09:17 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 258 Posts

C6Z06, GT350(R), E90/92 M3, Lotus Exige. None will break the bank and all will be a hoot.
The following 4 users liked this post by Burren:
limitedslip (02-07-2022), point2point (02-06-2022), Robocop305 (02-06-2022), Turbo Racer (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 09:11 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

As Jreifler said, the earlier air cooled cars will not be something you wan’t to drive every day. The experience is great, even fantastic in its own way, but compared to a more modern car with functional A/C, reliability, and ability to weather the elements you will soon realize it’s limits.

Much depends on where you live. I’ve driven my 964 C4 in the snow in Ohio and it was a hoot, but it requires more care and feeding to keep it clean running. My 993 was a fair weather car with PSS9s. A bit slippery when wet and also subject to little faults. When I moved to Florida conditions were better, but the A/C was wanting.

My 6GT3 I bought a month after I arrived in Florida. It was my only car for about 11 years. That car went everywhere, even on a 10-day vacation on the Autotrain and through the Northeast. My wife and I packed everything we needed in that car and had a blast. I finally bought a Cayenne 4+ years ago, but the GT3 is still my primary drive. Even in the rain that car stays planted.

Now, we put 140,000+ miles on that GT3. That’s not something I would ask of an air-cooled car. I’m sure someone has done it, but doubt that it would be as reliable as our GT3.

Lastly, I cut my teeth on a 1966 Triumph TR-4, so what seems rough riding to most people is meh to me. My point is that the newer Porsches are much, much better daily drivers than their ancestors. Keep that in mind when you look around. I love retro, but I also know their limits…
The following 3 users liked this post by Marv:
daddyscar (02-06-2022), SeanPatrick31 (02-06-2022), Turbo Racer (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 09:19 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Burren
C6Z06, GT350(R), E90/92 M3, Lotus Exige. None will break the bank and all will be a hoot.
These ^ are all great suggestions but it seems to me you have a great Euro driver’s car ( likely one of the best) why add another Euro car? I love coffee ice cream but sometimes some great vanilla hits the spot.

I would add an American offering. I pass C6ZO6s and GT350s ( love the ZO6. Not a fan of the flat plane crank in the 350) all day in these antiques. Yeah I’m a Shelby and Boss fanboy . Guilty.

Pristine street examples can be had for a song compared to some of the other stuff and are a hoot. Plus they’ve become “collectibles” (Boss LS version and Shelby GT). Sorry, no chain steering wheel though. Great driver’s cars. Trust me.

Last edited by Waxer; 02-06-2022 at 09:29 AM.
point2point (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 09:32 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

While Marv makes some good points on the limitation of old 911’s I would offer one comment as to the limitation of the a/c in hot climate. There is a fix for that, the Griffiths upgrade. This is something I did too my 89 Carrera, and was able to comfortably drive it in the hottest summer days Orlando had to offer. I also put a ceramic window tinting on the windows. As for reliability, not sure I’d question the reliability of that 3.2 Carrera drivetrain. While modern Porsches are Lexus level reliable, the 3.2 Carreras are known to be bulletproof also.
Turbo Racer (02-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Gt3 substitute??