Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3: Feels Sketchy/unstable on acceleration ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 02:45 PM
Tcomegna
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 997.1 GT3: Feels Sketchy/unstable on acceleration ??

Hey guys. Here are the symptoms. Hoping for some input.

Upon hard acceleration the car feels like the front end wants to sway too much to either side, almost feels a bit loose or slippery. Also during a hard gear shift (aka 2-3rd at redline) the off throttle part makes the car feels a bit unstable.

Any suggestions ? Any potential issues ?

I am willing to spend and do whatever possible for the best solution. The car is for street use only.

The tires I will say are near the end of their lifecycle, so could be that ? Maybe alignment is just off ?

Should I upgrade any suspension bits? Even if the car is fine what upgrades to the suspension should I do to make it 1000% stable?

Thank you so much everyone !

997.1 GT3. PCCB. 32000 miles
Old 10-28-2021, 02:51 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,154 Posts

My first thought was tires. Before you start replacing components, I’d recommend fresh tires and an alignment since you need those anyway. While It’s up on the alignment rack, hopefully they can give you some insight on if anything looks worn/loose.

Have you driven rear engine cars prior? Just curious if this is a normal feeling but you’re used to front engine cars with weight over the front axle.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 03:06 PM
Tcomegna
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bxstr
My first thought was tires. Before you start replacing components, I’d recommend fresh tires and an alignment since you need those anyway. While It’s up on the alignment rack, hopefully they can give you some insight on if anything looks worn/loose.

Have you driven rear engine cars prior? Just curious if this is a normal feeling but you’re used to front engine cars with weight over the front axle.
Thank you for the response ! Much appreciated

I have owned the car for 7 years and previously had a 996 GT3 so this is a different feeling then before !

I also think tires and alignment would be a good start for sure !

Would upgrading to ohlins R and T and also some RSS parts make the car feel super stable ?

I just want max confidence
Old 10-28-2021, 03:12 PM
Tcomegna
Instructor

What would be the best system for mainly street use to inspire full confidence in any situation ?

Billstein? Ohlins?

This is all hugely helpful.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:00 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 198 Likes on 105 Posts

Is what you’re describing happening in a straight line? If so, I think this is an issue of weight transfer and for one reason or another your is transferring way too much weight in the rear (hard acceleration and 2/3 shift) and leaving the front end light with not much traction. Possible issues could be rake, corner balance being off, worn shock(particularly rears). I’d look in that order.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:05 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 272 Posts

Definitely bad tires and an off alignment will make the car feel that way. Good advice given on previous posts.
engerman (11-02-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 08:13 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

If you don't have the DSC controller I would do that before changing other suspension parts. Obviously tires and alignment and inspection of the shocks and bushings and then if not fixed go DSC. When I first put in the DSC controller I thought the changes were fairly subtle but when pushed in the corners the car is less skittish, more predictable, more stable with the DSC. A lot easier and cheaper than changing shocks.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:58 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,154 Posts

I can’t really give good, or any advice, on if you should change to aftermarket components such as RSS parts, Bilstein, etc. On a street car I’ve realized that some (not all) aftermarket components just add more compromises to the car. I try and stick with genuine or OEM on my own car. I’m just not experienced or adventurous enough to take the risk and find what is best in the aftermarket space. The car is so much better than I can personally drive. If the car was fine years ago, I’d likely try and find what is wrong and replace with OEM components and restore it back to the feeling you enjoyed.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:55 PM
Tcomegna
Instructor

Originally Posted by Speeds5
Is what you’re describing happening in a straight line? If so, I think this is an issue of weight transfer and for one reason or another your is transferring way too much weight in the rear (hard acceleration and 2/3 shift) and leaving the front end light with not much traction. Possible issues could be rake, corner balance being off, worn shock(particularly rears). I’d look in that order.
I truly appreciate this response. That's exactly when it's happening.

How would someone fix the rake/corner balance issue ? Is that essentially doing an alignment on the car ? That's the way to fix that ?

Thank you again
Old 10-29-2021, 12:45 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,977 Likes on 1,764 Posts

I third that it's your tires. Mine did that and I switched tires and it was like I got a whole new car.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:24 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 381 Posts

Good advice above. I'd add that these cars are VERY sensitive to setup. Get it wrong or something gets loose and they are terrible. Proper tires and a full corner balance and alignment is where I would go. They should check dampers, end links and the rest of the suspension for wear, damage, etc. After that's done, then decide if you think you need anything further. Always think seat time and instruction before suspension unless you're already a pro.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:37 AM
Epicben
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

get it on a lift and check your suspension. You have adjustable parts and something could have come loose. Had a similar problem with a rear wheel coming out of alignment with too much toe. car would feel like it was lifting to one side on hard acceleration.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,784 Likes on 2,371 Posts

tire, pressure, alignment

if all above are good, chk sway bar and bushings

if all above are good, chk if ur shocks are dead (leak)

I think OEM suspension (when property aligned and in working order) are really really good, you don't need Ohlin, DSC or any of that stuff.
less mod = better car
more mod = frustration

BTDT.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:40 AM
Coop
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, Mooty!

Tire pressures (or lack of) are the single greatest influencers of feedback, both positive and negative. Most 911s are light in steering anyway unless the fronts are under load. Check those first...
Old 10-29-2021, 09:57 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Epicben
Had a similar problem with a rear wheel coming out of alignment with too much toe. car would feel like it was lifting to one side on hard acceleration.
To add to tires, I had a similar feeling situation as above in my 6GT3, where the rear would step out to one side on hard acceleration, and thought something was loose and the car was toeing out on one side. Talked to a shop, and he recommended I switch the rear wheels side to side, as he’s seen that with a tight diff, tires that have worn a certain way, and that were then removed and swapped sides.

Swapped the wheels and the issue went away…

Last edited by Sirenty; 10-29-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Robocop305 (10-29-2021)

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3: Feels Sketchy/unstable on acceleration ??