Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Refinishing stock wheels - also cracked wheel ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 08:58 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Refinishing stock wheels - also cracked wheel ??

Is there an "accepted" way to refinish stock wheels? I guess I am asking if a future buyer would expect a particular process to keep them as close as possible to original - obviously I want it to look good for me as well for as long as I own it. Thanks for suggestions. I can just take it to my local wheel shop if that's the answer.

I have a wheel that was obtained used because the original cracked (not sure how). Can a stock wheel with a hairline crack be repaired?
Old 08-29-2021, 09:06 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 296 Posts

OEM wheels are paint, Forgeline wheels are powdercoated. Powder is more durable to rock chips. As with almost anything preparation is key.

As for the cracked wheel, you can cut of the top third of the wheel and turn it into a shelf. Just seen that done on a turbo wheel.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:08 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,154 Posts

Some powder coat. Some paint. Mine were powder coated black but the previous owner. Finish has held up very well. I will eventually, likely, go back to silver and will find the most reputable shop in the area and use whichever process they recommend and stand behind.

Some will tell you that powder coating compromises the structural integrity of the wheel. But most shops will powder coat.

Most buyers will not care as long as the wheels are of a good finish. It’s relatively accepted that wheels will need to be refinished at some point due to chipping or curbing. It’s different than original paint on metal panels of the car where some buyers only want original paint.

Regarding the crack, I cannot help you there but I wouldn’t want a cracked wheel repaired. A bent wheel, sure. But I wouldn’t feel comfortable with a cracked wheel. Shops will repair that though. Again if they can assure you that their process will be safe for you to drive at high speed, then you can consider it. A member here may have a spare available. You can also check eBay (if you trust the seller). A new OEM wheel from Porsche is around $1500 last I checked.
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (09-07-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 09:18 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by 74goldtarga
Is there an "accepted" way to refinish stock wheels? I guess I am asking if a future buyer would expect a particular process to keep them as close as possible to original - obviously I want it to look good for me as well for as long as I own it. Thanks for suggestions. I can just take it to my local wheel shop if that's the answer.

I have a wheel that was obtained used because the original cracked (not sure how). Can a stock wheel with a hairline crack be repaired?
Try Jim (owner) at Weldcraft in Livonia, MI; Good Detroit guy.

Weldcraft Wheels

I honestly cannot tell you the number of wheels that he has cut, widened, changed offsets (front space/back space), customized, and repaired, etc. for me. Including when I had multiple track cars. I recently sold a car that he had made custom width wheels for 21+ years ago I think. He has been doing this longer than most of the hacks in this business have been alive.

Last edited by Igooz; 08-29-2021 at 09:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (08-30-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 10:11 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks much! I think I will try to have the good but marred wheel repainted then and keep the cracked wheel. I appreciate the recommendation on Weldcraft - a craftsman in Detroit would for sure know his stuff! (I'm originally from Michigan).
Old 09-01-2021, 01:07 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Try Jim (owner) at Weldcraft in Livonia, MI; Good Detroit guy.

Weldcraft Wheels

I honestly cannot tell you the number of wheels that he has cut, widened, changed offsets (front space/back space), customized, and repaired, etc. for me. Including when I had multiple track cars. I recently sold a car that he had made custom width wheels for 21+ years ago I think. He has been doing this longer than most of the hacks in this business have been alive.
Any suggestions for a Denver area wheel refinisher? TIA
Old 09-01-2021, 01:42 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Any suggestions for a Denver area wheel refinisher? TIA
For paint work? What are you looking to do?

OP, was looking for wheel surgery as in crack repair, possibly cutting, welding, truing and such, and for that Weldcraft is my go to guy.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:16 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
For paint work? What are you looking to do?

OP, was looking for wheel surgery as in crack repair, possibly cutting, welding, truing and such, and for that Weldcraft is my go to guy.
Refinishing (paint) oem wheels. Thanks

Quick Reply: Refinishing stock wheels - also cracked wheel ??