Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 02:03 PM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 202 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 Roof Rack

So after a good amount of searching I couldn't get much definitive info on this so figured I would ask.

I like to drive my car. I'm doing 5 week+ road trip all over the west coast in a few months and just trying to prep.
Road tripping in my GT4 was a bit less precarious since it doesnt have centerlocks, and has pretty decent rear hatch space.

Question- Has anyone added the roof storage provisions to their .2 GT3? I have found a list of part numbers. With my discount all of it sans paint is about $600 not including the rails and whatever box I decide on.

Obviously the SeaSucker option is being weighed. Something about the cups holding on the box does worry me a tad. Not so much it coming off, but getting the proper height for wind noise and resistance on the roof rake which the OE rails accommodate.
Additionally not super sure how thin the roof metal is and if the suctions cups could cause damage to that.

Ive seen people run them from the rear glass to the spoiler, but again just people carrying bikes. Not a full on roof box.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Reference parts:Roof rack

1X left strip - 99755940100G2X

1X right strip - 99755940200G2X

1X left strip rubber seal - 99755972101

1X right strip rubber seal - 99755972201

4X flip cover retainer - 99655972900

2X front flip cover - 99655950100G2X

2X rear flip cover - 99655950300G2X

10X strip retaining clips - 99655940301

1X 996/997 Roof Transport System - 99680110500

Obvi not a .2

Last edited by ljmartyre; 08-25-2021 at 02:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hdizzle (08-27-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 02:25 PM
Steve2k1116
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts

i planned something similar for my 30th birthday, take my .2 GT3 across country for a multi week trip, and instead of worrying about the centerlocks I had them replaced with a 5 lug conversion. i then bought the 520L Porsche roof box and a SeaSucker mount and let it rip. no issues, i brought one spare (19x9 oem wheel) and some basic tools and then clothes etc. having the rails done is the right way to do it but the SeaSucker option will get the job done just fine.

i will say if you keep the centerlocks (which i would assume you would), it makes the preparation much harder because you need identical wheels front and rear unless you bring 4 spares which is insane to me. if you keep centerlocks invest in the highest AAA package and send it with a regular roof box if you need more room for cargo. just my $0.02.

Last edited by Steve2k1116; 08-25-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:50 PM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve2k1116
i planned something similar for my 30th birthday, take my .2 GT3 across country for a multi week trip, and instead of worrying about the centerlocks I had them replaced with a 5 lug conversion. i then bought the 520L Porsche roof box and a SeaSucker mount and let it rip. no issues, i brought one spare (19x9 oem wheel) and some basic tools and then clothes etc. having the rails done is the right way to do it but the SeaSucker option will get the job done just fine.

i will say if you keep the centerlocks (which i would assume you would), it makes the preparation much harder because you need identical wheels front and rear unless you bring 4 spares which is insane to me. if you keep centerlocks invest in the highest AAA package and send it with a regular roof box if you need more room for cargo. just my $0.02.

Nice! This is for my belated 29th bday so pretty funny.

I plan on being solo most of the time, but linking up with a friend or two along the way that are coming with so the extra storage would be great.
A lot of the trip will be in January so it’s sort of unpredictable weather-wise.

I weighed the 5 lug conversion heavily, but for when I’m not using the car for road trips it doesn’t bug me too much. I figure the best option there is one of those tire gel kits, and source a tire to the nearest big city to me. The AAA membership I have would get me there if needed. I have 4S on my car so that’ll def make it easier to get ahold of one.

How was the wind noise and such with the box on there?
Happen to have any photos of your setup?
Thanks for chiming in!
Old 08-25-2021, 03:01 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 412 Posts

What is the concern with center locks? You're not getting a tire replaced on the side of the road in any event. You either have a spare or you don't. If you do, carry an appropriate torque wrench for the center locks instead of a regular lug wrench. If you don't have a spare and can't plug on the spot, you're getting flat bedded to a shop irrespective of the wheel type you have. Once in the shop, what's the issue with removing the center lock wheel, assuming you have the required torque wrench with you?
Old 08-25-2021, 03:13 PM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
What is the concern with center locks? You're not getting a tire replaced on the side of the road in any event. You either have a spare or you don't. If you do, carry an appropriate torque wrench for the center locks instead of a regular lug wrench. If you don't have a spare and can't plug on the spot, you're getting flat bedded to a shop irrespective of the wheel type you have. Once in the shop, what's the issue with removing the center lock wheel, assuming you have the required torque wrench with you?
They add an extra level of complexity to a simple operation. Which is: required knowledge of how to remove and secure a center lock wheel, and carrying a special set of tools. Some may argue you need an additional person as well.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:15 PM
Steve2k1116
Racer

Originally Posted by lukasss
Nice! This is for my belated 29th bday so pretty funny.

I plan on being solo most of the time, but linking up with a friend or two along the way that are coming with so the extra storage would be great.
A lot of the trip will be in January so it’s sort of unpredictable weather-wise.

I weighed the 5 lug conversion heavily, but for when I’m not using the car for road trips it doesn’t bug me too much. I figure the best option there is one of those tire gel kits, and source a tire to the nearest big city to me. The AAA membership I have would get me there if needed. I have 4S on my car so that’ll def make it easier to get ahold of one.

How was the wind noise and such with the box on there?
Happen to have any photos of your setup?
Thanks for chiming in!
that actually is funny, no matter what you'll enjoy the hell out of it that i am sure. i sadly do not have any pictures of the setup but the noise was there but it wasnt bad. i drove with the windows open most of the time and with the sharkwerk exhaust it was barely able to be heard but thats also a massive roof box.

centerlocks to me are forever a pain in the *** but if you go about it the right way you'll be fine. wish you the best of luck!

edit: maybe being a little more specific will help given i dont have photos haha. i have the OEM Porsche 520L roof box which has 4 mounting points. i used 4 SeaSucker mounts, one on each corner, and did two on the roof and two on the wing. i would say the weight of my gear (minus the box itself) was about 40lbs give or take a few and had zero problems all the way up to 100mph. they really make good stuff. prep before you put the mounts on the vehicle is everything.

Last edited by Steve2k1116; 08-25-2021 at 03:22 PM.
ljmartyre (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 03:26 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LμL
They add an extra level of complexity to a simple operation. Which is: required knowledge of how to remove and secure a center lock wheel, and carrying a special set of tools. Some may argue you need an additional person as well.
Ok, I'm not arguing for or against the general concept of center lock wheels on a street car. All I'm saying is that center locks are not an issue when it comes to emergency tire repair. The additional "complexity" turns a 30 second wheel removal process into a 3 minute removal process. It's still inconsequential as far as time and effort is concerned. I presume anyone who owns a .2 GT3 has the basic knowledge to remove a center lock wheel. That knowledge is not lost during long distance road trips and can even be transferred in real time to an ignorant tech at a tire shop in the middle of nowhere. If we're discussing adding roof racks to a GT3, certainly carrying a larger lug wrench should not be an issue.
FLT6SPD (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 06:28 PM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 8Lug
I don’t have a concern with them personally and that’s why I kept them. In my above post I mentioned having AAA if I really needed to get somewhere with a tire, but I do have a spare centerlock wheel I’m taking in the even I need to limp the car somewhere. I also have all the tools one would need to change it out by myself and It’s actually not bad at all to swap out with the correct setup.
So not a big deal to me.

Originally Posted by Steve2k1116
that actually is funny, no matter what you'll enjoy the hell out of it that i am sure. i sadly do not have any pictures of the setup but the noise was there but it wasnt bad. i drove with the windows open most of the time and with the sharkwerk exhaust it was barely able to be heard but thats also a massive roof box.

centerlocks to me are forever a pain in the *** but if you go about it the right way you'll be fine. wish you the best of luck!

edit: maybe being a little more specific will help given i dont have photos haha. i have the OEM Porsche 520L roof box which has 4 mounting points. i used 4 SeaSucker mounts, one on each corner, and did two on the roof and two on the wing. i would say the weight of my gear (minus the box itself) was about 40lbs give or take a few and had zero problems all the way up to 100mph. they really make good stuff. prep before you put the mounts on the vehicle is everything.

I always do! I try and make at least one road trip like this a year with little trips here and there.

any tips on what you mean by prep outside of the obvious?

glad to hear you did the wing and glass combo. It seems like that’s the way to do it with the SeaSucker option.

8Lug (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 08:04 PM
silviaks
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Centerlock is not an issue for road trips. Remember you are driving a Porsche, not a Mclaren. There are Porsche dealerships everywhere in the country, and it's not like you will be bringing a spare even with the 5lug conversion Bring your big-o torque wrench and make sure your "fix-a-flat" is not expired. Road tripping in these cars is awesome, enjoy!
ljmartyre (08-25-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 02:12 AM
Steve2k1116
Racer

Originally Posted by lukasss
I don’t have a concern with them personally and that’s why I kept them. In my above post I mentioned having AAA if I really needed to get somewhere with a tire, but I do have a spare centerlock wheel I’m taking in the even I need to limp the car somewhere. I also have all the tools one would need to change it out by myself and It’s actually not bad at all to swap out with the correct setup.
So not a big deal to me.

I always do! I try and make at least one road trip like this a year with little trips here and there.

any tips on what you mean by prep outside of the obvious?

glad to hear you did the wing and glass combo. It seems like that’s the way to do it with the SeaSucker option.
just a deep clean on both paint and mount. The obvious but take your time. I also looked into the hitch and small trailer option. I’ve seen people do it and it would eliminate a roof rack and give you more weight to work with. Something to consider as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve2k1116:
cbracerx (08-26-2021), ljmartyre (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 09:57 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 187 Posts

pull up your roof strips, you might not have the physical provisions that roof racks would screw into
Old 08-28-2021, 12:15 AM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngng
pull up your roof strips, you might not have the physical provisions that roof racks would screw into
Planning to do this when I get my car back in a few days. Will update in case anyone in the future is searching.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:07 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by silviaks
Bring your big-o torque wrench and make sure your "fix-a-flat" is not expired.
I recommend a plug kit too. Had a flat on a center lock once, sharp rock right through the tread. Removed rock, placed plug, used inflater, off I went. Couple weeks later took it to the dealer for internal patch but it held air the whole time. Without the plug it would have been a long tow to the dealer.
ljmartyre (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 01:40 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngng
^^^THIS^^^
My understanding is that the .2 GT3s don't have the built-in lugs that the roof racks would screw into. Pull one of the cover strips and check before you do anything else.

EDIT: Sorry Lukeass, missed your post above where you stated that you're already going to check.

Last edited by 8Lug; 08-28-2021 at 01:47 PM.
ljmartyre (08-28-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 11:30 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

You would need a long torque wrench. Tire shops I've been to don't have the tools to remove the wheel. Maybe a torque multiplier. And if you go to a Porsche dealer for a patch that won't happen. I got a nail in my new P4S w/ 100 miles on them mounted on my 991 GTS, and the dealer said replace, no patch. I'm taking it elsewhere.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 08-30-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 Roof Rack