Canadian GR GT2 "Driver" Journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 02:17 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 381 Posts

5/25/23 – Playing Catchup Part I – 48,230

More Maintenance

My last trip to Alekshop, Aleks and I discussed the lack of nose grills and protection on the GT2 and fabricating a set since no one seems to make them. After my dead, stinky bird incident, I really felt the car needed something to keep small animals and debris out. That and an oil change was due. I dropped the car and headed out for a bike ride while they worked so no progress pictures. I did steal a video from their IG link though that shows the work and finished result. I was really happy with how it turned out.

View this post on Instagram

Another Reason for Loving These Cars

I think I’ve alluded previously to these cars being a gateway to experiences I consider invaluable. The week before Luft, I got a ping from both Spyerx and mooty that Spyerx was headed north for the event. This meant it was time for a drive and sharing a meal.

Friday AM, we gathered in Marin and headed West for some of the great local roads. Over Lucas Valley's tree lined curves we went and headed for Pt. Reyes Lighthouse. I knew we’d likely hit traffic so I focused on scenery. Mother nature had other plans. About half way out to the Lighthouse, the fog got so bad we could barely see the road. Everyone took it in stride as we stopped to BS and decide what to do. We ended up heading back up the coast and back through Novato for our meal a little early.

My go-to for sushi in Marin is a place called Masa. We all arrived, parked and sat down for a great meal. While we chatted about air cooled vs. water cooled; cool car builds; the state of Rennlist and Porsche’s new client base, delicious chunks of perfect raw fish arrived. For me, it was zuke chu toro; zuke sake, kinmedai, kasugodai and tomago. Each piece delicate and perfectly seasoned with salt, lemon or a sprinkle of sea salt and maybe a wipe of soy. We also shared a braised pork kakuni with soy, egg and spinach. The flavors perfectly complimenting the laughter and conversation. Some of the group, I had not seen since before the pandemic. Strange how we took the pleasure of each other’s company for granted before then.

We finished up the meal, said our goodbye’s and agreed to see each other tomorrow at Luft.

Luftgekuhlt 9 – Mare Island

Unless you’ve been under a rock, off the grid, avoiding IG, RL, FB and your Porsche owning friends, you’ve heard and seen a lot about Luft 9 in the past few weeks. Unlike many other display or cars and coffee events, Luft was unique because it was curated unlike any other event of it’s kind that I’ve attended. There were amazing and unique cars; a great, largely un-photographed location and each and every car was staged in a complimentary location that made it near impossible to take a picture that was not compelling. If you subscribed to the many feeds, you may have seen the same car from 20 different angles. Each one unique and cool. One could clearly see and feel the influence of Porsche master photographer (and all around cool guy) Jeff Zwart at the event.

I made my attempts to take some cool shots. While I’m clearly no Zwart, I think some of the shots look pretty goodl.

The following 4 users liked this post by ChrisF:
GTTommy (05-27-2023), Guaji (05-26-2023), Steve Theodore (05-26-2023), TheKane (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 02:29 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

5/25/23 – Playing Catchup Part II – 48,230

Everything Old is New Again

Twice in my life now, my wife has ended up with a car that I’ve wanted more than my own. It happened the first time back in 2005 when I owned a Subaru WRX and my wife decided she liked the EVO VIII. I purchased one for her as an Xmas gift and found myself stealing it often. When she grew tired of it three years later, I gladly took it off her hands.

The second time it happened caught me totally by surprise. My wife had always wanted a Porsche and when the Macan S came out, she decided that was THE car for her. I scoffed under my breath at the idea of a small Porsche SUV. Then I drove it. And drove it. And drove it. Every chance I got, I borrowed it and could never believe how a car that weighed this much could handle this good. I even tracked it at Thunderhill one time and embarrassed some drivers in real sports cars costing multiples of it’s price. Admittedly, they weren’t great drivers but still.. All credit to Porsche engineers.

When the GT2 landed, ol’ GT2 LITE (my 991 GTS) seemed semi redundant. While the GTS was more useable than the GT2, I yearned for something with more utility. I wanted a car I could throw my dog or a bike in the back and not worry. I kept going back to the Macan.

The day came last week where I decided it was time to bite the bullet. I received a better than expected offer to sell my GTS to the local Porsche dealer. The same day, I found a local 2022 Macan S that was effectively brand new with a healthy discount and in 24hrs, the garage spot was swapped. The GT2 has a new roommate and she seems very happy. The pair really compliment one another. There is much less overlap and each serves a distinct purpose.

More Preventative Maintenance

When the car went in for nose screens, the mechanic pointed out the telltale signs of a failing right side radiator. The car is now 15 years old so I was not entirely surprised. My mission statement for this car has always been to make it bullet proof so it can be driven anywhere so I chose to replace all three radiators as well as all rubber hoses in the nose of the car. It’s another case of “while you’re in there..” but this time, just at the front end. When I considered what parts to use, I ruled out the OE units due to their construction. I decided to go with slightly more durable, all aluminum aftermarket parts and ordered CSF units.

Once again, I dropped the car in Alekshop’s trusty hands and a few days later, everything had been swapped in; coolant system was burped and she’s all ready for her next adventure.

It had been a whopping 5 days without the GT2 when I got back in the drivers seat. 2 years into our journey together, I can still say confidently that this car blows my mind each and every time I drive it. Squirting through traffic on 880N, I found myself well into triple digits after burying my foot. Entering an overpass sweeper at speed with no traffic, the nose felt light and the rear moved around a little. Classic 911 behavior. I smile and bury the throttle again and aim for home. Damn this car is good.

Changes

Some other changes since my last post come more on a personal level. I very excitedly noted my 4RS allocation in January. This is the car I had always hoped Porsche would build and I was very excited to finally get an opportunity to buy one. Not long after that post, things at work got a bit unstable and made me question spending that much money at a time where many things in my life were possibly up in the air. I thought long and hard and made the tough decision to release my allocation. In hindsight, it was the right call. It didn’t make it any easier but when I thought about it, it made sense and made me sleep easier. When things settle, there should be many, many GT4 RS’s out there headed for their second owners
The following 7 users liked this post by ChrisF:
ftc3 (06-25-2023), GTTommy (05-27-2023), Guaji (05-26-2023), philrob1 (05-26-2023), speen (05-26-2023), Steve Theodore (05-26-2023), SupraSaiyan (05-26-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-26-2023, 02:45 AM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry you weren't able to come to Europe, pick up the amazing GT4 RS, and join me at the Ring and on some Swiss Passes. I hope to see Euro Delivery in your future!
The following users liked this post:
ChrisF (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 10:18 AM
philrob1
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Another awesome update.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:34 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Fantastic updates @ChrisF and I'm so glad your GT2 adventure is going better than planned. Thanks for all the wonderful photos and details so we can continue to follow along.

I'm taking my own GT2 out today in order to clean it for our biggest German car show of the year tomorrow. I absolutely cannot wait to spend time with my own car, and your post has only made me more excited for the chance!!
The following users liked this post:
ChrisF (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 12:52 PM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 423 Posts

Thanks for the update and marking down that sushi place as it looks great!
Old 07-16-2023, 05:10 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

7/16/23 – Driving Other Porsches Makes You Appreciate it More – 48,765

I’ve been spending a lot of time lately in the Macan. Just how things are working out.

Gotta’ run to the store; dog gives me the sad face. Take the Macan. Need to go down to LA for a trip and want to take the bike. Take the Macan. I’m old, lazy and don’t want laser-sharp; take the Macan. The stark contrast between the personalities of the Macan and GT2 have really underscored distinct use cases. Most of the time comfort, convenience and easy access are what I need. I don’t think about where I’m going to park or driveways that scrape either. I just get in and go. It’s kind of liberating actually. That doesn’t mean that when the urge strikes for a thrill, I’m not grabbing the keys to the GT2. What does come from alternating between these two very different Porsches though is a greater appreciation for how each feels. The softer, easier more dull Macan really helps me take notice of all that is great in the GT2.

Handling: In Porsche tradition, some of their cars don’t really come alive until you start to lean on them. The Macan for sure. In lower ride height mode with sport PASM on, there’s still body roll but once the car sets, it has a ton of mechanical grip. Push the 2nd PASM light on and it’s even firmer, quicker reacting and rebound is much faster. Pop PASM off and restore normal ride height and you can go anywhere, do anything and feel minimal bumps in the road. Throw the car into a corner at speed and hit the pedal and it just grabs and grabs. The GT2 though is all business, all the time. Swapping into it, I notice how stiff it is, how flat it is and how responsive it is. Of course, it’s nearly 1300lbs lighter…and it IS a GT car.

Power: The current gen Macan S feels like it’s REALLY sandbagging on it’s power. It seems closer to 400hp as it pulls pretty damn hard for an SUV. It doesn’t have to make excuses to anyone. Mash the pedal to the floor and it lets you know it’s got a lot of torque too. It makes you smile. Of course the GT2 is just bonkers; it turns to the Macan, says “hold my beer” and laughs. A week of daily driving the Macan really reminds you that the GT2 is powerful, special and nuts. Those rolls into throttle are just intoxicating every single time.

Brakes: This is the one area I think Porsche has failed the Macan S. They’re just ok. Years of driving GT cars has ruined me probably. I just expect to have massive stopping power all the time and sadly, I don’t. I’m sure the Macan GTS’s bigger brakes help here but the stoppers in the S have me consciously increasing stopping distances in pretty much every driving situation. I don’t like that I’m conscious of that. GT2? “Hold my beer…again…”. Of course. There really is no comparison here except that the experience of going one to the other could not be more different. The GT2 warps the perception of what brakes should be like in a car with any real amount of power. Lean on the brakes in the GT2 and It’ll suck your eyeballs out. Yes; more…please. This is part of the shared driving experience where I have to make the most adjustment in my driving between the two.

On another note, a thread started a few weeks back in the 997GT board for a local car meetup. The first gathering happened today and what better excuse to stretch the car’s legs and go for a drive. Turnout was very good and there was a nice cross section of cars and owners. One owner told me he reads this thread and really enjoys it. That was very nice to hear. I love sharing my experiences and only hope people like reading it. Some pics below.

The following 4 users liked this post by ChrisF:
Elliotw44 (07-16-2023), frederik (07-17-2023), Guaji (07-16-2023), Steve Theodore (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 07:14 AM
frederik
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

I only drove a 997 GT3 once but the brake experience was shocking. The steering, engine, suspension were all sublime but braking was on a completely different level to anything else. Just how you're describing the difference to the Macan.
Old 07-17-2023, 12:04 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

I love all your updates, and keep the great comparative thoughts coming!
Old 08-31-2023, 02:38 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

8/30/23 – 1060 Miles of Joy – 50,208 (long)

Back before Covid smacked the world upside it’s head and changed everything, I used to (co)organize multi-day road trips with friends. I can trace this tradition back about 10 years to right after I purchased my first (997.2) GT3. Back then, I was still living in Los Angeles and the group was a mixed bag of individuals. One drive ended in a pissing match between two particularly testosterone heavy individuals. After that, the group split up into “factions” and everyone decided to go their own way. I paired up with a 997TTS owner that was fed up with the drama (as I was) and we had a great, stress-free return drive home. I swore after that, I’d never do a group drive that way ever again. I’d find chill, easy-going people that just wanted to enjoy the roads and good company.

In the years that followed, I moved to the Bay Area and was adopted by a large group of Rennlist track rats that included mooty, 24Chromium (RIP), Spyerex and golfnutintib to name a few. It made moving to a new city a really pleasant experience. We tracked at Thunderhill, Sonoma, Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow and even Reno Fernley. We spent as much time BS’ing trackside and at meals as we did on the track. The times were awesome. I don’t think I’ve ever thanked them enough for their hospitality and kindness.

Most of that group moved away from regular track days for a variety of reasons. For me, it was a new hobby – cycling – that split my attention and time. When faced with the decision of how to spend a weekend: go the track or go for a bunch of rides – my choice was always cycling. While I do ride with groups, I tend to spend most rides on my own finding my zen happy place. I did miss that time with friends driving and chatting about cars though.

Many in the core group of track rats still loved driving and we restarted the multi-day drive tradition. The group this time would be smaller, more about sharing experiences and less about type A macho bull****. None of that would be tolerated. Our first official multi-day drive was in 2016 and it was a blast. We spent several days driving from the Bay Area to LA and back along some of the most epic roads CA has to offer. And we ate. A lot. Great food at everything from holes in the wall to nice restaurants. And we drove. A ton. One very strong memory was swapping cars with a good friend. He took my 981 GT4; I took his 991.1 GT3 RS. It was a mistake. As good a car as the GT4 was, the 991 RS just underscored how anemic it was relative to a car that had the full weight of the Porsche GT department behind it. Within the next year, I had sold the GT4 and bought my friend’s RS. It was an expensive road trip.

The next one was in 2018 and it was epic. The group was bigger and more diverse. The driving was a mix of old and new roads. The food was plentiful. I remember my sides hurting from laughing so much. My indelible memories from that trip were twofold. One was riding passenger in a friend’s CGT for about 100 miles…at speed…driven properly. It’s a good thing I can’t afford one because if I could have, I probably would have bought one on the spot. That engine noise; my god. That chassis; unbelievable. Two, was driving a friend’s very well sorted and modded GT2. This was the 2nd one I’d driven and it put the final nail in my coffin that landed me here.

Our last drive was in 2019. The group was even bigger and more diverse but bordered on too big. The guys were all great but the dynamic changes I think when you get bigger. It was still a blast but I made a mental note to try to keep them smaller.

After that drive, the group didn’t get back together for a long time. Schedules got busy. Priorities changed. Covid hit. We talked about doing a drive but the plans never quite congealed. In the past few months, several of the group started the chatter again. The plan materialized and we committed to do it. Some of the regulars had schedule conflicts but we ended up with a group of 5. Just about right.

Day 1: We head south to Santa Barbara. The day started early but slid a bit due to some unforeseen logistics. No one got bent out of shape. Nobody chastised anyone. We just rolled with it. Ok; this the way it should be. The route plan for the day was 101 South to 25 S through Pinnacles to 198 W. After that, we hopped on the 101S to Paso Robles and stopped for lunch at Thomas Hill Organics (HIGHLY recommended). From there, back on the 101 to Santa Maria and exited to Foxen Canyon. After Foxen, we hit 150 through Los Olivos and wound our way through an unexpected stop in Montecito before landing in Santa Barbara. Dinner was at The Lark (also HIGHLY recommended). Foxen Canyon was the highlight of the day for me. Great flow and a nice mix of open space and tight corners.

Day 2: This was a lighter day with some extracurricular activities. The start was 101 S to 150 over the Casitas Pass and through Ojai. Sadly, the group favorite road (highway 33) was closed so we could not make the pilgrimage. Instead we continued on highway 150 through Santa Paula to 23 over into the Conejo Valley. From there, we did the highlights of the Santa Monikca mountains: Decker to Encinal. Encinal to Mulholland. Mulholland to Kanan. Kanan to Mulholland again. On to Stunt, Schuren, Piuma and down to Las Virgenes. Brunch in Malibu at Marmalade Café where we ran into several older gentlemen stretching the legs of their 993TT, 992TTS and 991RS. Once nourished, the group split up for the day.

Day 3: The NorCal folk (3 of us) left Agoura and headed 118 to 5N up to Fraser Park. From there, we drove Cuddy Valley Rd / Potrero Mtn. Highway to 33. 33 to 58. For those that have not driven highway 58 from 33 to 101, put this on your bucket list. It’s one of the greatest roads in the US and definitely in CA. If you time it to a spring Superbloom, it will knock your socks off. After 58, it was a straight shot up 101 N. home.

On the 101, in the middle of nowhere, I looked down at the odometer of my beloved, bug splattered and dirty GT2 and noticed it was coming. 97; 98; 99. 50,000. For most cars, that number isn’t much of a big deal. For a GT2, it kind of is. I think I can count on one hand the number of GT2’s I’ve seen above 30,000 miles, let alone 50,000. I’ve had the distinct pleasure of adding 16,000 of those myself. I swore if I ever found a “driver”, I would use it as intended. I’d love and enjoy it as much as I could. I’m proud to say, I’ve kept that promise and intend to keep it up. The car performed pretty much flawlessly the whole trip. It barely ever got warm; it didn’t get finicky; it just kept delivering thrills and speed without complaint…other than for more fuel. What a car.

The consensus at the end of the trip was that the roads, driving, food and company were all top notch.There was chatter that we have to do it again…sooner….and we will.Thanks to the group who were part of some really great memories over the past few days.As I’ve said before in this thread, I truly believe that is the TRUE value of these cars.That ability to generate special and unique memories.Not learning how to tap into facet of ownership is just sad.
The following 7 users liked this post by ChrisF:
GTTommy (09-05-2023), Guaji (08-31-2023), Metaphysician (09-02-2023), sirringo (08-31-2023), Steve Theodore (08-31-2023), TheKane (08-31-2023), widers911 (08-31-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-31-2023, 03:55 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 624 Posts

Did you notice at 50k mikes you also went back to the future
Old 08-31-2023, 09:39 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

@ChrisF As a fellow member of the 997.1 GT2 50k mile ownership club, I just want to salute you! Well done my friend, and I hope you keep the great adventures coming for many years!
Old 08-31-2023, 01:18 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome history and latest update.... keep on driving the ol' girl
Old 08-31-2023, 03:00 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 149 Posts

Great update!!! It got my psyched up for a pre Rennsport Reunion road trip that I will be doing with a few other Porsche friends. A nice small group and we know each other well. The planned route is still in the works but probably Yosemite, then cross the mountains to Mono Lake. Then Mount Lassen, Mount Shasta to southern Oregon then back to Monterrey arriving on the Wednesday before the reunion. We will be leaving LA on the Saturday morning before Rennsport.

I like going up to Los Olivos and Los Alamos for a quick overnight trip. Los Alamos has some very nice restaurants ( Plenty on Bell, Picos Los Alamos) and and very good bakery ( Bobs Well Bread). I like to stay at the little Los Alamos Motel. The Foxen Canyon Trail is fun, I like the photo of your group at the chapel overlooking the trail.
Old 10-30-2023, 03:28 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

10/29/23 – Ch ch ch changes – 50,523

Several months back, I posted that I had to give up my GT4 RS allocation because there was some uncertainty in my life. That uncertainty was my job. I knew I would be changing jobs soon and it was very likely that my wife and I would have to relocate as a result. I work in the entertainment industry and the center of our universe is Los Angeles. I was lucky enough to move to the Bay Area back in 2012 based on a great job here. Once here, we really found our true home. When people would ask how I felt about the Bay Area, I quickly volunteer that the only way I’d leave would be kicking and screaming. My current job had been bad for well over a year and I’d been looking for something else that would keep me here. Nothing came so I opened the door to move back to LA. Long story short, I got a really great job offer there and it came with relocation. We are in the midst of that now. It’s been pretty traumatic in that I can no longer be in the place I love. I’m trying to be philosophical about it and realize it’s probably only for a few years at which point I’ll reassess and decide where I really want to be. For now, the road leads down to LA.

It's funny, we joke on Rennlist about people who buy new GT cars and then all of a sudden there was an “investment opportunity” or a “job change” or whatever. Most I see as smoke screens for flipping the car. I just decided in my case to skip the buying the car part and just wait and see. In retrospect, I’m really glad I did that. There will be other cars and other times to enjoy them. Over the past 2 months, I’ve doing dual time between LA and SF and haven’t had a lot of time for cars. When I do make it home, I try to carve out time to drive and it’s always rewarding. My feelings about the GT2 haven’t changed. It’s simply amazing and a joy to drive.

10/29/23 – GT vs GT – 50,523

Back in Jan 2023, I wrote about getting to sample several cars including a 997.2 GT3 RS. Well, not only has the GT2 been sitting idle, that GT3 RS too has been doing a residency in my garage. The car is being stored for a good friend with the offer to drive whenever I want. I only wish I had more time to take him up on that. Well…the last two weekends, I finally did.

Two weekends in a row, I put over 100 miles each on both the GT2 and GT3 RS to really explore two of the best cars Porsche has ever made. To baseline my comparison, best to refresh the state of both cars.

GT2: You COULD go back and re-read the thread but it’s much easier to do a TLDR. Suspension: solid toe links; semi solid engine mounts; DSC control computer. Drivetrain: rebuild LSD with Guard internals and more aggressive ramps; light weight flywheel; 4.0RS pressure plate; uprated Sachs clutch disc. Brakes: Surface Transforms carbon ceramic rotors; RSC1 pads. Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2’s. Alignment is aggressive street.

GT3 RS: Bone stock. Stock iron brakes. Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2’s. Alignment is factory stock.

Those who read this thread know my preference for 997 911’s. I don’t think Porsche has made a better 911 than the 997 nor do I think they ever will. Full stop. 991’s and 992’s may be faster, more stable, more approachable. With that also comes a loss of what I think defines these cars. They dip, crash, bobble and move all around underneath you. They demand you manage the weight and the grip. They feed you a ton of NVH, feel, and sensory information. It comes to your eyes, your hands, finger tips, butt and feet. Everything you need to manage grip, throttle and steering is all there in spades. It all is fed to you and you have to manage it to make the most of it. When you get all the inputs right, there are few experiences as rewarding.

The really surprising thing about driving these cars on bigger, known loops is just how DIFFERENT they feel. The GT2 FEELS heavier (even though it isn’t). Steering has more weigh. The chassis is not as flat and moves a little more before it bites. The RS by comparison feels really light on its feet. Steering is lighter and a bit sharper when driving. Both cars can easily be driven anywhere. Whether it’s a quick run to the store or a longer drive into the mountains or into the curves. Both cars will oblige anything you can throw at them without fatiguing the driver. For people who say they’re too harsh, too low, too rough to drive; maybe consider a modern Audi or BMW instead.

As you run both cars through the same roads, a few things start to come to mind. The stock brakes on the RS, are perfectly fine. Bite is firm and civil. Give the brake pedal some pressure and you’ll feel the stopping power. On the street it’s almost overkill. You feel that way until you get in the GT2. Lighter rotating mass and massive bite is immediately noticeable. The first time I felt that bite on application, I was hooked. PCCB’s grab more like warmed up iron brakes with track pads. Hit the pedal hard and out goes the boat anchor into the pavement. They haul you down to zero without breaking a sweat. They’ll do it over and over again and barely even heat up. It’s really the only part of this RS experience I think could be better. The simple addition of track pads would provide nearly the same experience though.

Then there’s the engines. Masterpiece is not a strong enough word to describe them both. They provide power, sound and feel in completely different ways and in very different measures. Both are magical. Push hard on the gas in the GT2 and it’ll pin you in your seat. The deep blatt of the boosted 3.6 is preceded by a spin up whistle in-stereo turbos. Sitting right behind you, it’s hard to miss them before they fling you forward. The grab of the torque and the push of the horsepower provide epic shove no matter how many times you ask for it.

The RS is a whole ‘nuther experience. From a standing start, you roll into throttle and it isn’t long before the transition past 3,000 RPM’s into open valves, cams and here it comes: the symphony of chainsaws, metal and anger. As the revs raise from 4,000 to redline above 8,000 RPM’s, the metallic rasp just gets louder and louder. Shift into next gear and it starts all over again with a dropdown “WAAAAAHHHH” then back to maniacal gnashing all over again. You hear it and you just want more of it. And more of it. And more of it. Power is strong but in a different way than the GT2. It builds vs. grabs you. It’s sound disarms you instead of the torque which frightens you. Enter a corner hot and it’s a more linear push into and through the corner. Do the same thing in the GT2 and you better only apply the right amount of throttle or the car will get angry with you and the BRAP BRAP BRAP of traction control interves.

Cornering in both cars is where they feel the most similar. The GT2 has a little roll, but not much. Suspension is definitely tuned stock for backroads and the Autobahn. That is not to say the car is lazy or slow. Weight transfer takes but a second and then you’re headed towards the apex quickly and without drama. Transition from turn to turn and you get the hang of it quickly and predictably. The RS on the same road is flatter, more nimble and just feels lighter. It’s strange to me that two cars with similar weight and layout can feel this different. I think the difference is likely in the steering racks, damper tuning and sway bars. I need to read up more on this.

After spending two weekends in a row putting miles on these cars, one thing is clear to me. You could own both cars and truly be happy with the differential in experiences. The sound and controls have enough variety to reward any driver, each in different ways. After my time early this year, I thought maybe one of the two was better than the other. Now, I’m not so sure. I know fellow GT2 owner @SteveTheodore has both cars and has posted his clear preference for the RS. I’m much more on the fence though. Both are so goddamn good, I don’t want to have to choose.

The following 8 users liked this post by ChrisF:
DD GT3 RD (10-30-2023), Guaji (10-30-2023), ljmartyre (10-30-2023), Metaphysician (12-02-2023), mikes70 (10-30-2023), point2point (10-30-2023), Steve Theodore (10-30-2023), Wonderdan (10-30-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Canadian GR GT2 "Driver" Journal