Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cruising Plans for Carweek 2021

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 03:29 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Cruising & Plans for Carweek 2021

Hi all. I probably came off a bit crass on my last post on cruising. My apologies.
Carweek is coming about and was wondering if any would be up for a cruise? You’ve got the Pre-Reunion and then Reunion/Festivities. Weekday is best (early still dark am start). The one I had in mind would total 240mi round trip from Monty Airport. Would be about 4.75hrs worth. 120mi of the good stuff.

I won’t publicly share the route as it isn’t popular nor do I want it to become (I think you’d agree). Would be best to get in a wechat or group chat for those really interested.

https://www.seemonterey.com/events/sporting/concours/

Werks Reunion - Friday 13th Ol’ Bayonet

Places to see outside of the Carweek schedule: Canepa in Scotts Valley, Jameson Musuem in Pacific Grove, Talbott Moto in Carmel Valley, Reggie Jackson usually opens his warehouses in Sand City to view as well

Plces to eat: Baja Cantina for the atmosphere, Montrio Bistro for Food best price/value with great service, Cultura for Food/Nightlife, Sandlewood (Santa Cruz) Nightlife then Food, Verve for Coffee, Whale City Bakery (Hwy 1, 6mi N of Cruz), Santa Cruz Mtn Brewery, Rocky Point for views (if it opens), California Kitchen for views (Carmel Highlands), Rise and Roam for Pizza,

i can add more if you send my way. Maybe use this as the main thread for Carweek

Last edited by Sword_of_the_Spirit; 07-13-2021 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Added links
Old 06-15-2021, 12:15 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_the_Spirit
Hi all. I probably came off a bit crass on my last post on cruising. My apologies.
Carweek is coming about and was wondering if any would be up for a cruise? You’ve got the Pre-Reunion and then Reunion/Festivities. Weekday is best (early still dark am start). The one I had in mind would total 240mi round trip from Monty Airport. Would be about 4.75hrs worth. 120mi of the good stuff.

I won’t publicly share the route as it isn’t popular nor do I want it to become (I think you’d agree). Would be best to get in a wechat or group chat for those really interested.
I need to get back up there. Last time I went I got tagged and was doing 120 on the 5 coming home. Five CHP held me for over an hour so they could see me sweat. I need a corrective experience.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:41 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Is the werks reunion on for sure? I've never been. Back when I was attending I would go to Concorso Italiano and all that.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:41 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 207 Posts

For those of you that have attended this before, when do most people arrive for "car week" and is there stuff to do all week leading up to Sunday when the Concourse is? Can a layman like myself attend these events? I assume some are private or require credentials to attend, no?

I think I'm too late in finding anything (lodging) for this year and we have a toddler that complicates things (babysitting). I'd like to attend next year and spend a few days there but I was curious if most people spend the entire week in Monterey, or is it more of arrive on Thursday and leave Sunday/Monday? I'm in Sacramento so not too far from Monterey but that would give me an idea of how crowded it gets out there and whether attending with a baby makes much sense.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:35 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I need to get back up there. Last time I went I got tagged and was doing 120 on the 5 coming home. Five CHP held me for over an hour so they could see me sweat. I need a corrective experience.
The route I have in mind is pretty open with minimal turn offs. For the turn offs, long visibility is provided.

The 5 is notorious for speeding. My sister not long ago was putzing along at 90 from LA past Button. I’m a little more fuel “miserly.”

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Is the werks reunion on for sure? I've never been. Back when I was attending I would go to Concorso Italiano and all that.
Should be. Will be held near Salinas like last time on the course.

Originally Posted by lawrence1
For those of you that have attended this before, when do most people arrive for "car week" and is there stuff to do all week leading up to Sunday when the Concourse is? Can a layman like myself attend these events? I assume some are private or require credentials to attend, no?

I think I'm too late in finding anything (lodging) for this year and we have a toddler that complicates things (babysitting). I'd like to attend next year and spend a few days there but I was curious if most people spend the entire week in Monterey, or is it more of arrive on Thursday and leave Sunday/Monday? I'm in Sacramento so not too far from Monterey but that would give me an idea of how crowded it gets out there and whether attending with a baby makes much sense.
Lodging is hit or miss. West Side of Salinas with a garage might work. Otherwise, Santa Cruz with a 40min drive. It depends on what you’ve seen and tolerance for $$$$. A week of fun is fun. But also a day or so depending on what you want to see/do. Concourse on the Ave is fun. Baja is fun. Laguna is obvious.
pre reunion is busy with racers and family, reunion/make specific events bring everyone. As such, it draws people to an epicenter which allows those of “us” to venture away relatively undisturbed.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:11 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

McCalls and D’Elegance were never my thing despite many invites. I did happen to attend the Porsche event after RennSport conncluded in 2018 at Folktale Winery. That was fun to meet some Key players in the Porsche arena. If you went, you would know who I’m speaking of….
Old 06-16-2021, 06:19 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

So I’m thinking either that Monday 9th or Wednesday 11th of August. Early departure at Toro Park of around 5am -515 for stragglers. On the good stuff no later than 630
Old 06-16-2021, 07:44 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

They need to update their website for the Werks Reunion if indeed it's in the same spot. It says TBD Werks Reunion

As to going there, if you have not been then you must if you are a car nut. Every day is joyous. To do it the funniest way is expensive. Concorso Italiano or The Quail, the Historic races, being right downtown and watching the cars roll in to RM Auctions and the other auctions is a hoot. I remember my first Concorso. My eyes went wild with all the color and the excitement of seeing Alfa 8C 2900 in the flesh. There are free ways to enjoy it too. Just be there. The car show on the streets of Carmel. and Pebble Beach drive watching show cars under power. It's fun to register for auctions though not cheap. I could go on and on. Meeting Phil Hill and sitting there showing him a vintage racing newspaper I had and he signed for me. No big deal, just sitting there talking about racing.

You can get rooms....there just expensive as hell. $749 a night for what we found. I really wanted to go to Automobilia but they cancelled it this year. Grrrrrr Automobilia

Old 06-16-2021, 08:35 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Fun as in spending money? I’d disagree. Lodging is your biggest expense, but the big entry places (in my opine) aren’t all that. Once was enough. It’s the after Parties and the other stuff during the day that makes for the best of times.

Look at Rentals in West Salinas, Aptos, Marina, and Soquel. You could even try up in Corralitas if you wanted for a large house. They’re out there for sure. Or double up with another group. Fun. But this Carweek will be interesting to see how the crowding takes place. I’ll get an idea for the first 4 wheeled event at Laguna and let you know….
Old 06-17-2021, 12:25 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Fun as in spending money? I’d disagree. Lodging is your biggest expense, but the big entry places (in my opine) aren’t all that. Once was enough. It’s the after Parties and the other stuff during the day that makes for the best of times.

Look at Rentals in West Salinas, Aptos, Marina, and Soquel. You could even try up in Corralitas if you wanted for a large house. They’re out there for sure. Or double up with another group. Fun. But this Carweek will be interesting to see how the crowding takes place. I’ll get an idea for the first 4 wheeled event at Laguna and let you know….
He may not have a list of after parties or other free activities if he's never been there. Can you direct us to a place to get some info?
Old 06-17-2021, 06:44 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Top of the page for links. I’ll add as they come. Regarding after parties, those are usually kept low until day of or exclusive to an invite.
I’ll try my best though…..

Regardless of all of that, the cruise will make up for any party “envy” as you’ll have your chin up knowing you put some actual work into the 911 and killed some mosquitoes vs having it sit collecting dust.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:11 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Top of the page for links. I’ll add as they come. Regarding after parties, those are usually kept low until day of or exclusive to an invite.
I’ll try my best though…..

Regardless of all of that, the cruise will make up for any party “envy” as you’ll have your chin up knowing you put some actual work into the 911 and killed some mosquitoes vs having it sit collecting dust.
dont have a 911 yet, but will have one by next year … hopefully! Appreciate any info you can share and will be keeping an eye on this thread.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:38 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Of course mate!
If you have a reasonably sporty car, (minivan with those nice mitsu V6’s), you should come on out.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:49 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

I have my IS-F but making it out this year is likely a stretch.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:09 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

The Monterey P dealer has a nice event on monday evenings.

Quick Reply: Cruising Plans for Carweek 2021