Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Educate me on the GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 12:55 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by 696
Lately I’ve been thinking that maybe I should try to buy a 997 GT3. I have multiple questions about ownership. I’ve never drive one, but I think it really might be a car for me to own. .
I'm all for mental masturbation regarding cars.
but
you should really at least ride in one before you go too far down the rabbit hole.

Many of these cars have MULTIPLE owners for a good reason.
They can be TOO "raw" for most.

Be well.

Craig
Old 06-19-2021, 02:41 AM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 488 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
I'm all for mental masturbation regarding cars.
but
you should really at least ride in one before you go too far down the rabbit hole.

Many of these cars have MULTIPLE owners for a good reason.
They can be TOO "raw" for most.

Be well.

Craig
True, but....I think that is what is making them so popular at the present moment.

They are a raw & edgy 'driver's cars' - For a time the newer GT cars were thought to be a leap forward and were getting all the accolades and the 997 lost a little buzz, but now people are realizing the 997 GT car is the pinnacle for a certain type of driver. It is a very unique option in the 911 world.

20 seconds behind the wheel I knew it was the car for me, hopefully a forever car, God willing. It was the car I had always wanted, but had never driven and I think a true car enthusiasts can not go wrong with such a car, but to your point they have to be a true enthusiast to really love the car.

OP here are two more videos to help educate you on the 911. One recent in discussion format and one (a review) from a few years back.

Start at ~ 36m 50s

Full length review from Sam who is one of the best IMO.

Last edited by seis-speed; 06-19-2021 at 03:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by seis-speed:
696 (06-19-2021), Robocop305 (06-19-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 03:34 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 593 Posts

The Carmudgeon video was a little off IMHO. They said the GT3 could not be used as a daily. Now frankly I would not daily ANY 997 manual in Los Angeles with our parking lot freeways at all hours. But in all fairness my 997.2 GT3 is almost as comfortable as my 997.2 GTS. The GTS is sprung stiffer than a regular S FWIW. The only GT3 difference is the stiffer clutch (no big deal) and the front air dam. When I bought it I was ready to get beat up blah bla blah. Not like that.

As to them having numerous owners that's true of 911's as a whole. People want to change it up or get the latest a greatest. Now we have 991 owners of all types coming back to the 997 straight across the board. Not just GT3s.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 04:26 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
The Carmudgeon video was a little off IMHO. They said the GT3 could not be used as a daily. Now frankly I would not daily ANY 997 manual in Los Angeles with our parking lot freeways at all hours. But in all fairness my 997.2 GT3 is almost as comfortable as my 997.2 GTS. The GTS is sprung stiffer than a regular S FWIW. The only GT3 difference is the stiffer clutch (no big deal) and the front air dam. When I bought it I was ready to get beat up blah bla blah. Not like that.

As to them having numerous owners that's true of 911's as a whole. People want to change it up or get the latest a greatest. Now we have 991 owners of all types coming back to the 997 straight across the board. Not just GT3s.
My 997.1 GT3 suspension feels better than the 997.2 C2S I had with SPASM.

Regarding owners, it always surprises me how much people care about that. We're all enthusiasts, most of us, if we had the financial means would be flipping in and out of cars yearly to try the latest thing, or just something new. Maybe someone starts with a 997 GT3, realizes they want something more raw, tries a 996 GT3, then decides to go to a 997.1RS. I know guys that flip in and out of cars every year or so. Some more often, some less often, but the average length of ownership for most guys I know is 2 years. So on a 14 year old car, that'd mean 7 owners.

In the case of my 997.1 GT3, first guy owned it from 2007-2012. Another individual owned it for a couple months, sold it to a dealer and that individual kept it for a year or so until he moved into a 997.2RS. Another guy kept it for 3-4 years who then moved into a 997.2RS also. He sold it to a guy who then sold it a year later for a 991 GT3. Then the guy I bought it from sold it because I asked him to contact me when he was ready to sell. He wasn't driving it all that much with 3 other cars and a busy career. The car was well maintained, with no expense spared. I know the timeline of the previous owners because I was able to contact each of them and talk with them. My Audi S4, a one owner car that I bought (I'm the second owner) had it's first oil change at 10k miles instead of 5k miles and the exterior of it looked like it had double the miles and the driver seat already had some pretty crazy wear to the point where the dye was coming up. This was on a 3 year old car that again was a one owner.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
Bullitt44 (06-21-2021), Robocop305 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 09:29 AM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
My 997.1 GT3 suspension feels better than the 997.2 C2S I had with SPASM.

Regarding owners, it always surprises me how much people care about that. We're all enthusiasts, most of us, if we had the financial means would be flipping in and out of cars yearly to try the latest thing, or just something new. Maybe someone starts with a 997 GT3, realizes they want something more raw, tries a 996 GT3, then decides to go to a 997.1RS. I know guys that flip in and out of cars every year or so. Some more often, some less often, but the average length of ownership for most guys I know is 2 years. So on a 14 year old car, that'd mean 7 owners.

In the case of my 997.1 GT3, first guy owned it from 2007-2012. Another individual owned it for a couple months, sold it to a dealer and that individual kept it for a year or so until he moved into a 997.2RS. Another guy kept it for 3-4 years who then moved into a 997.2RS also. He sold it to a guy who then sold it a year later for a 991 GT3. Then the guy I bought it from sold it because I asked him to contact me when he was ready to sell. He wasn't driving it all that much with 3 other cars and a busy career. The car was well maintained, with no expense spared. I know the timeline of the previous owners because I was able to contact each of them and talk with them. My Audi S4, a one owner car that I bought (I'm the second owner) had it's first oil change at 10k miles instead of 5k miles and the exterior of it looked like it had double the miles and the driver seat already had some pretty crazy wear to the point where the dye was coming up. This was on a 3 year old car that again was a one owner.

Exactly! 8 good enthusiast owners is way better then 2 average car owners. Get a PPI done and let the car speak for itself.

In a world with many cars to sample, don't let the cars suffer for an enthusiast expanding a resume. Buy-Drive-Sell and repeat, then when you find the "keeper" try and do the right thing.

Last edited by Bullitt44; 06-21-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:37 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 293 Posts

CarFax often wrong about # of owners too.

I’m confirmed second owner of my car, but carfax had 2 or 3 prior owners. Often happens when car is leased then purchased by original lessee.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (06-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Educate me on the GT3