Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Minimum oil temp before really revving engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 06:04 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

I tried it today,.... while exiting my community, played with the stalk & getting to the "Oil" section,... but I could not get it to tell me "Engine not warmed up"
Old 09-03-2021, 06:10 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I tried it today,.... while exiting my community, played with the stalk & getting to the "Oil" section,... but I could not get it to tell me "Engine not warmed up"
You have to be stopped, and actually attempting to check the oil level. That message is telling the driver the oil isn't warmed up enough to check the level. If it's warm enough to check, it is also probably warm enough to rip on, likely.

For me just off the 150 is warm enough for me to start driving "normally", which probably includes 5,000 rpm. I dont do really full throttle pulls on the car until it's closer to 200F.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:25 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
You have to be stopped, and actually attempting to check the oil level. That message is telling the driver the oil isn't warmed up enough to check the level. If it's warm enough to check, it is also probably warm enough to rip on, likely.

For me just off the 150 is warm enough for me to start driving "normally", which probably includes 5,000 rpm. I dont do really full throttle pulls on the car until it's closer to 200F.
exactly.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:29 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

In most cases, start car, drive and no screaming until it warms up. If you live up north and it's cold, it will take a little longer to achieve optimum running temperature. Modern fuel injected engines need even less time, and if you search for warming up engine, for decades now it says not to sit there and idle to warm up the engine. Then, there's also the fact that the oil must reach a full hot state to get rid of moisture and blowby gases which will dilute the oil. So for people that have garage queens and collections, just turning a car on for 5 minutes and not driving is a death sentence to engine, exhaust etc.

With E-85 it's even worse-and in Brazil, the only country that sells E-100 at every gas station, the cars were introduced in 1980. Some cars were still using carbs until the fuel injected majority arrived. There was a small gasoline tank for cold days, and with full choke on, the exhaust was literally a garden hose until it got hot
The effects and data lead to the flex fuel cars over the decades, and the cars were able to inject any percentage of gas or ethanol depending on prices at the station. In the US, E-85 is the highest content at gas stations.
There are a few dying posts on the 997 GT3 forums on E-85 GT3s, and mostly the 997.1 cars with Cobb E-85 tune. Last time I checked it ended there, .2 GT3s didn't seem eligible for the tune. I've seen 997 Turbo cars here with full E-85 tune, and it really benefits those cars. My friend has a 930 being built for E-85, with GT3 crank, from the ground up, new engine purpose built. There are 2 of these 930s here that I know of, about 700 hp.
So I'd be curious to see an oil analysis, and those cars run about 14 quarts(!)

In any case, warm up before screaming, and yearly oil changes regardless of mileage-

JB

Last edited by JB911; 09-04-2021 at 03:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (09-04-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 08:56 PM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

991 GT3 / RS has a warm-up idiot light that goes out at 140 F (oil temp). Different engine obviously but the recommended rev limit when the light is on is 7k. Of course, like engine break-in probably doesn't hurt to be conservative.

Quick Reply: Minimum oil temp before really revving engine