Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PASM shocks going back from sitting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 04:34 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts
Default PASM shocks going back from sitting?

I recently got my unicorn RS, but have noticed the rebound on the pasm is really harsh. Something doesnt seem right with the factory shocks on the car. The previous owner mentioned this also and seemed to think it was due to the car sitting so long as a collectable. It only had 7500 miles when the previous owner bought it, Is that possible? Just curious what your thoughts are before I go tearing apart the car trying to fix it.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:53 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

I suppose it's possible, but not likely. I don't know what the electronic parts look like, I assume its a solenoid on the piston rod comp, that makes a restricted orifice. I think that would be unlikely to be stuck from sitting. Could it be that the OEM RS parts are just pretty stiff? My base car feels pretty comfortable in regular mode, but there isn't much redeemable in the "pasm on mode" unless there are hoosiers on the car... and then its not quite enough.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:57 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I suppose it's possible, but not likely. I don't know what the electronic parts look like, I assume its a solenoid on the piston rod comp, that makes a restricted orifice. I think that would be unlikely to be stuck from sitting. Could it be that the OEM RS parts are just pretty stiff? My base car feels pretty comfortable in regular mode, but there isn't much redeemable in the "pasm on mode" unless there are hoosiers on the car... and then its not quite enough.
Yea something is definitley off. This is my second 997.2 GT3 RS. It almost feels like its in a stiffer version of sport mode 100% of the time. More stiff than my previous RS with monoballs. Suspension has always been stock, and it has the factory DSC controller.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:55 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,134 Likes on 625 Posts

Need to see if it is leaking, well seeping. If it’s dry, no issue.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:21 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Yea something is definitley off. This is my second 997.2 GT3 RS. It almost feels like its in a stiffer version of sport mode 100% of the time. More stiff than my previous RS with monoballs. Suspension has always been stock, and it has the factory DSC controller.
It looks like the fail safe is full stiff. You could try to deliberately put it in fail safe mode, and see if you notice any change. I believe you can also see the shock current if you have a PIWIS tool
Old 04-08-2021, 11:47 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,134 Likes on 625 Posts

Did the battery die? You can also try fixing it the old school way (which I’ve seen work, but only because the connection was not tight) unplugging and plugging back in.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:02 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
It looks like the fail safe is full stiff. You could try to deliberately put it in fail safe mode, and see if you notice any change. I believe you can also see the shock current if you have a PIWIS tool
Yea I think I’m gonna just take it to the dealer and see what they say. It blows, but around Tampa, FL no shops I trust to diagnose it.

I disconnected battery and nada. Might play with the plug and try again with the DSC controller. It’s really an odd situation. Never have had this issue on any of the 2 other 997.2’s
Old 04-11-2021, 02:28 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Piwis
Old 04-11-2021, 03:15 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Piwis
Alright alright I’m on it. Thanks everything for the tip.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:10 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Alright alright I’m on it. Thanks everything for the tip.

do a visual: make sure right shock part numbers, right spring part numbers, make sure no visual leaks, and check electrical function with the PIWIS. If all that checks out, its in your head :-)

I had a PASM shock fail a long time ago, PIWIS identified it.

Quick Reply: PASM shocks going back from sitting?