Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Future Car Value in General

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 07:03 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,927 Likes on 1,733 Posts

I come to Rennlist to escape the daily grind. Spend some time with my fellow members and talk about things that make us happy. The cars!

Why do we have to have these threads pollute up our wonderful community here? Keep the focus on track members. If you do absolutely feel the need to post this stuff on Rennlist, at the very least, do it in a more appropriate subform.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:54 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
Although the 116500LN is a 'mass produced' watch, scarcity (artificial or not) will probably keep the prices up. And with rumors flying of a new 41mm case, prices now for one of the white dial Daytona's will just be the tip of the iceburg. 992's, however, GT or otherwise, will churn out as fast as they can make them. 991 GT cars are seemingly as common as base models. Those willing to take an almost immediate depreciation hit to be one of the first clearly have more money to burn than me.
I knew the 16520 Daytona would be sought after because of the Zenith movement so I put four of them new in box in my safe. I have them to wear too, but figure that at some point a 16520 with stickers, never sized would be worth some $$$. They retailed for $5800 back then as I recall.I don't remember what I paid for them. However his will not offset the STUPID watches I bought and Iost money on.

I came across a new old stock 1969 Omega Speedmaster original everything. Bought it from the kids whose father won it for being the top salesman at Turtlewax. Never used it. That's more exciting to me.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,663 Likes on 2,330 Posts

cars? buy hi sell low. it's much easier this way.
drive and have fun
why hire a hooker and not get it on is really beyond me.

116500LN
it was 12xxx 2 years ago. I told all my watch friends, just pay up for gray. no, they wont.... now it's $35 for new black and $40 new white.
it WILL KEEP GOING UP, but not as steel a curve.
should you decide to get one, I am loaded up on up muhahahahaha. and I will charge you more than gray.

if you want a 4-5 watch collection, just pay up and be on your merry way.
if you want a 30+ watch collection , then yes, get a relationship going.
there is no a REAL LIST.
u buy a BIG watch or diamond ( I do mean big as in 7 figures to the left of decimal pt). SUDDENLY Daytonas, sky dwellers, sub, 5711, 5164, 5168, 5712... walk themselves to the counter while you are on complementary champaign
The following users liked this post:
EMpunker (04-07-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 10:34 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,094 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
cars? buy hi sell low. it's much easier this way.
drive and have fun
why hire a hooker and not get it on is really beyond me.

116500LN
it was 12xxx 2 years ago. I told all my watch friends, just pay up for gray. no, they wont.... now it's $35 for new black and $40 new white.
it WILL KEEP GOING UP, but not as steel a curve.
should you decide to get one, I am loaded up on up muhahahahaha. and I will charge you more than gray.

if you want a 4-5 watch collection, just pay up and be on your merry way.
if you want a 30+ watch collection , then yes, get a relationship going.
there is no a REAL LIST.
u buy a BIG watch or diamond ( I do mean big as in 7 figures to the left of decimal pt). SUDDENLY Daytonas, sky dwellers, sub, 5711, 5164, 5168, 5712... walk themselves to the counter while you are on complementary champaign
Good advice Mooty and I was waiting for you to chime in, especially with your "just got back, lets discuss the value of porsches thread" which is one of the best threads on RL. I think we can all agree that cars are the best when they're being used in the way that you enjoy them the most. Not when they're being thought of as investment pieces. Too much money talk has made cars a lot less fun for me in previous years. I like looking at the market and talking with people about buying and selling, but everyone wants to minimize their risk of loss, which is understandable, but on daily drivers, don't we all just expect to lose $20-40k over our time with them? Everyone leasing a car is taking a guaranteed loss pretty much.

When I bought my 7.1 GT3 I for sure thought I was overpaying, but I liked the car and figured if I was keeping it long term, who cares. Pay up for the car you want if you're in the financial position to do so. $1-2k more for the right car, to me, is worth it.

Would have bought Daytona years ago when they came out but was not in the financial position to make the move at the time. If they ever come back down to earth, I'll deal with paying slightly over MSRP and move on.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:36 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,094 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I come to Rennlist to escape the daily grind. Spend some time with my fellow members and talk about things that make us happy. The cars!

Why do we have to have these threads pollute up our wonderful community here? Keep the focus on track members. If you do absolutely feel the need to post this stuff on Rennlist, at the very least, do it in a more appropriate subform.
Rennlist is also my escape. When it turns too much into speculation, it's less fun. That's for sure. The real enjoyment comes from modifying or improving (whatever you like more), talking with fellow enthusiasts and driving. If I lose $20k on my car when sold, that's fine as I made great friendships with people on Rennlist, in person, etc and also got amazing memories in a very special car. Well worth it when people are taking vacations yearly and of course never expect to get anything back on those besides memories.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bxstr:
RAudi Driver (04-04-2021), Robocop305 (04-04-2021), The Mick (04-08-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 10:45 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

What about the ‘E” effect? Historically there’s always been a latest and greatest new model right around the corner. Sounds like many (not all,of course) cars will be electric in 15 years or so. And that includes performance and luxury cars. If Porsche discontinues many of the current lines won’t that make nice current examples more collectible? But on the other hand, with outboard motors for example when 4 strokes were fully embraced people with 2 strokes suddenly felt like they were running antiques and the market for 2 strokes eventually shut down even though they have advantages for some applications.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:47 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Good advice Mooty and I was waiting for you to chime in, especially with your "just got back, lets discuss the value of porsches thread" which is one of the best threads on RL. I think we can all agree that cars are the best when they're being used in the way that you enjoy them the most. Not when they're being thought of as investment pieces. Too much money talk has made cars a lot less fun for me in previous years. I like looking at the market and talking with people about buying and selling, but everyone wants to minimize their risk of loss, which is understandable, but on daily drivers, don't we all just expect to lose $20-40k over our time with them? Everyone leasing a car is taking a guaranteed loss pretty much.

When I bought my 7.1 GT3 I for sure thought I was overpaying, but I liked the car and figured if I was keeping it long term, who cares. Pay up for the car you want if you're in the financial position to do so. $1-2k more for the right car, to me, is worth it.

Would have bought Daytona years ago when they came out but was not in the financial position to make the move at the time. If they ever come back down to earth, I'll deal with paying slightly over MSRP and move on.
Mooty on the money again.

Mooty knows the drill. Not sure if I was sober when I bought this. A lot of counter top drinks. jewelers I believe have a liquor license too. 😁

Don’t get the hype of SS costing more when you can have gold for less. Especially now with gold on the rise. Bought last year before Covid-19. Now glad I did.

Think this “somewhat” relevant as this is an infamous “value” thread.

Last edited by Waxer; 04-04-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:01 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 258 Posts

Pay up for the car you want if you're in the financial position to do so. $1-2k more for the right car, to me, is worth it.
That would be worth it, of course. But, today it's not $1-2k more; it's $15-30k more. That's a different decision for a lot of folks.
The following 3 users liked this post by Burren:
Joe Cho (04-05-2021), pissedpuppy (04-04-2021), Robocop305 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 02:37 PM
engerman
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

That’s it, I’m putting my college fund into a 4.0, to the moon!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2021, 02:43 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Where are all your doggie pics when we need them.

Maybe someone should go start a thread in the off topic area titled "Official Flex Thread".

stpatsday (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 02:47 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

man, it's turning into the 991 forum over here, lol
Burren (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 07:41 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 474 Likes on 215 Posts

I understand the disinterest in value threads and people not wanting to opine about future values.....

But... this is my $.02

997 GT cars are going to go up in value or hold at the very worst *IMO* even as other cars start coming back down in price. 997 GT cars are the perfect size, have hydraulic steering, traditional lighter feeling front end, Mezger engines, manual handbrake - and were made in small numbers. When you start cross-shopping other "special occasions" sports cars it is still a great value for the money and will only gain more appeal in the near future as modern cars feel less engaging and overpowered for the roads.
The following 10 users liked this post by seis-speed:
Burren (04-04-2021), Finlander (04-07-2021), GlenGT3 (04-04-2021), GT3streetcup (04-17-2021), mchrono (04-04-2021), mdosu (04-07-2021), Robocop305 (04-05-2021), rrichmondd (04-05-2021), Steve Theodore (04-04-2021), stpatsday (04-04-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-04-2021, 10:48 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

But do we have to do this when I'm trying to buy
Joe Cho (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 10:49 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
man, it's turning into the 991 forum over here, lol
hahaha, that woudl be horrible
Old 04-04-2021, 10:53 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Where are all your doggie pics when we need them.

Maybe someone should go start a thread in the off topic area titled "Official Flex Thread".
I don't have any pets (dogs or cats) but I do have espresso, leek bacon soup and honey wings

The following 2 users liked this post by mooty:
RAudi Driver (04-04-2021), Robocop305 (04-07-2021)

Quick Reply: Future Car Value in General