Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New Battery Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 04:22 PM
757driver
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

Just got back from Advanced Autoparts. My old Deka tested as having a bad cell. Their selection of AGM batteries was limited to mostly Diehard and a few optima that wouldn't fit. I ended up going with a Diehard H6AGM that was the same dimensions as my old one, but having more CCA and discharge time. I've never had a Diehard, but their reviews are good. Hopefully they are good batteries. Thanks everyone for all the replies!

Cheers
Old 03-11-2021, 04:30 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

diehard is good, i believe they come out of the same factory as odyssey
Old 03-11-2021, 05:40 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,926 Likes on 1,732 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
the obvi solution is to buy a car to match your battery

Hahahaha, true! There ya go. I actually like the green.....battery and car.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:41 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 757driver
Hi Guys,

Just got back from Advanced Autoparts. My old Deka tested as having a bad cell. Their selection of AGM batteries was limited to mostly Diehard and a few optima that wouldn't fit. I ended up going with a Diehard H6AGM that was the same dimensions as my old one, but having more CCA and discharge time. I've never had a Diehard, but their reviews are good. Hopefully they are good batteries. Thanks everyone for all the replies!

Cheers

​​​​​​​Yippee Ki Yay

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 03-11-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:28 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
I do like what Antigravity offers-is it the 2nd generation now? But a new charger also adds to the cost. Hopefully no fire issues(haven't heard of any instances)
What's the warranty period on them?
Correct, the current line replaced the original RS-30 model that was previously used. More options for direct Group sizes along with capacity choices to cater more to the specific cars needs along with the fully updated Battery Management system with wireless built in jump starting. Warranty on the Automotive line is 5 years (First 3 full coverage, last 2 prorated) No, no fires issues with the built in protections.
For those that may be interested as well, our Spring sale will be coming up on March 19th. As always feel free to reach out directly with any questions you might have.
Best regards,
Chad
chad@antigravitybatteries.com
The following users liked this post:
fayraree (03-12-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 07:30 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

Years ago I came to help a friend with his car. As I walked up, he was leaning over with the hood open. Before I got next to him the battery exploded! He must have touched the positive with a wrench against the body

So the acid went all over his shirt and face, I guided him inside and told him to get in the shower and rinse off as fast as possible. What a bonehead, didn't seem to be in too much of a hurry but ended up ok. His shirt had holes from the acid. But rinsing acid usually takes care of it fast. Not so with bleach. Last year I had one drop of bleach in my eye, rinsed as fast as possible and drove to one of those MD Urgent care places nearby. They irrigated my eye with saline solution for 20 minutes, anesthetic drops and I drove as fast as I could to an eye emergency hospital, got there in 20 minutes, pushed my way through the line and said I got bleach in my eye-there's not much time, so more rinsing, then some sort of acid eye drops to counteract it!

I got very lucky the bleach didn't corrode through the cornea, then it's bye bye. The surface of the cornea was burned, but the exam revealed it didn't go all the way through. My brother is an ophthalmologist and was on the phone speaking to the doctor. So what a painful scare.
Anyway, acid batteries will corrode the area where the vent hose is or drains into, that's why I didn't want it but for some reason Porsche still used them in the 997 and probably current cars-
So AGM for me

Last edited by JB911; 03-11-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:52 PM
Specracer46
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Ha, sure does not keep me up, but does influence the batteries I buy.

Originally Posted by noro78
Wow.. I thought I have OCD... so knowing that under the black cover there is green plastic keeps you up at night?
Old 03-11-2021, 09:29 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

By the way here is the video on our Lithium Car Battery...

fayraree (03-12-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 10:04 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by 757driver
Thanks for all the replies. My Garage is more of a rodent fortified shed and is quite far from the house. I don't have power run there as of yet so I can't keep it on the trickle charger with any consistency. During the 5 months I don't drive the car every year I have run an extension cord out to the shed and used the Ctek every 8 weeks or so. I guess I'm leaning towards a quality AGM without going much, if any, heavier than the battery I am replacing. I really want a simple drop in that doesn't require a different tray or securing hardware. I have an Advanced Autoparts somewhat close by. Do they sell a quality AGM I can get?
5 months?!?!??? ... takes me 3 minutes to take my battery out of the car.

Take it out, walk it up to your house & put it on a trickle charger in your basement (but if you do that, do NOT put the battery directly on the cement. Place it on a piece of 2x10 wood)
jonwb (05-17-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 09:07 AM
757driver
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I think I will do this until I get my new garage/shop built. Especially with a new battery now. On a side note: My TC fail light is on. Does this typically clear once I drive the car?
Old 03-12-2021, 10:26 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

^^^. Yes
Old 05-15-2021, 09:29 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe I should have posted here instead of starting a new thread. I started a Li-fe thread reference the anti-gravity sale that ends I believe in two days. Agm can still spill acid, thats what the breather pipe or maybe just a hole on the top side of the battery is for. Just sprung for the 60ah li-fe battery. This is more stable than other lithium chemistries. I run these in my motorcycles and rc stuff and was waiting for a good product to come out for our cars. This is it, I have no doubt. I do not want acid spills in that area and that assurance is worth the cost.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:37 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera
Maybe I should have posted here instead of starting a new thread. I started a Li-fe thread reference the anti-gravity sale that ends I believe in two days. Agm can still spill acid, thats what the breather pipe or maybe just a hole on the top side of the battery is for. Just sprung for the 60ah li-fe battery. This is more stable than other lithium chemistries. I run these in my motorcycles and rc stuff and was waiting for a good product to come out for our cars. This is it, I have no doubt. I do not want acid spills in that area and that assurance is worth the cost.
I have all kinds of concerns about batteries, but spilling acid has never been one of them.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:15 AM
machschnell_RS
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

Highly unlikely any acid will leak from an absorbed glass mat battery. The breather tube mentioned above is to vent hydrogen created during charging.
Robocop305 (05-16-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 08:53 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

You guys are way ahead of me in understanding as to batteries, electrical systems etc...which have always been a black hole for me.

I, however, religiously keep battery tenders on my cars after an experience with my FGT years ago. Battery died and lost several gauges on restart with mew battery. Neurotic same will happen with the others too. Imagined perhaps but real to me.🤪

I just use the pig tail accessory and plug into the lighter. Has worked for many years.

Quick Reply: New Battery Suggestions