Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New Battery Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 08:59 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
You guys are way ahead of me in understanding as to batteries, electrical systems etc...which have always been a black hole for me.

I, however, religiously keep battery tenders on my cars after an experience with my FGT years ago. Battery died and lost several gauges on restart with mew battery. Neurotic same will happen with the others too. Imagined perhaps but real to me.🤪

I just use the pig tail accessory and plug into the lighter. Has worked for many years.
If your RS has the OEM LW Lithium battery, make sure you're using the Lithium battery tender. As I understand it, lithium requires a higher steady amp to maintain the battery Vice a standard battery. Hence the standard CTEk could damage the Lithium battery. Maybe it's just marketing to sell more tenders though......
Old 05-19-2021, 09:54 AM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Acid

Originally Posted by machschnell_RS
Highly unlikely any acid will leak from an absorbed glass mat battery. The breather tube mentioned above is to vent hydrogen created during charging.
I believe you are correct in stating highly unlikely regarding leakage. Mine did leak and For that reason I’m moving away from acid. On my diesel truck it didn’t matter however with all the goodies up front in the 911 I fear damage if not corrected.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:12 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
buy the biggest, heaviest agm battery you can. dead car sucks. esp if your frunk gets stuck. you should be able to revive your dead battery by boosting the voltage. could probably get it going using some jumpers to a running car's batt. it'll likely die though and it sounds like you had a good run
suggestions? make/model? thank you
Old 05-19-2021, 12:48 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

You can buy the Porsche OEM battery as an Audi at half the price. I did that years ago with my 996. As mentioned earlier Johnson Controls makes many of the AGMs available today. I think the best choice I found was the one at Costco, but they didn't have it nearby so I went with another brand.

Bummed you guys had failures with Noco Genius. I love them. I just bought their Genius5 which has a de-sulfating mode as well as a forced charge mode for REALLY dead batteries. I had battery that was near zero and my Battery Tender would not even attempt a charge so I had to jump it for a little while to bring it to a point where it could be charged. I'll keep this around just in case.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:44 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

Those Noco look fantastic, great marketing but mine failed and I'm glad it didn't start a fire while I was gone(!).
The whole point of a maintainer/tender is to leave it connected. I've been using the Ctek 7002 since, and it works fine, connected to the cigarette lighter socket. And my AGM is a Bosch full size, which seems hard to find now. I searched their site for distributors and didn't see Pep Boys listed-that's where I got mine. I'd like to stick to Bosch when I need a new one-
I also got a Powermax 55 Amp charger for when I connect Piwis to the car. Little chargers can't do that, minimum required current is 40 amps-
JB

Quick Reply: New Battery Suggestions