Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New Battery Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 07:19 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,094 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Originally Posted by jonwb
That's a good idea. You have to use the plug in the console storage box correct? I think the one in front of the shifter is switched.

The better solution would be to drive my car more often, but that just doesn't seem to happen and before I know it several weeks slip by.
I plug mine into the passenger footwell outlet. I did that last winter and it started without issue and on a weekly basis. We'll see if that is the case in a couple weeks when my car comes out of storage.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:40 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

for me, Interstate Batteries... always
Old 03-10-2021, 09:18 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
imo the antigravity is too much even if you are tracking. you can buy a lot of driver mod for the price of that battery
I understand the argument for sure... trust us we are actually lower cost and give way more tech and battery than the other Lithium Brands.... but you point it understood.........
.... but the first time (if ever) you come back to a dead battery and can't open the frunk or have to go into the fuse panel and jump your car.... you'll say..... "hmmm... just pressing a keyfob and starting my car again is worth alot of time and hassle..."
Last you can't compare the expense of the battery to driver education... driver education comes first... but if your comparing it to other mods... then is actually a great one because you getting big weight savings and something that will get you out of a dead battery emergency... plus has long life benefits. So it works itself out in the wash in terms of value.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,926 Likes on 1,732 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Run an Interstate MTP-48 H6 D9 in mine. Not the best photos, but figured they'd be helpful for reference.

My car sits on a battery tender even if not being driven for a week (CTek 3300).

I'll probably consider an Antigravity next, more for the restart feature and other cool nerdy battery monitoring features.

That battery would look good in a frog.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:21 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngng
i added a pigtail to the battery in the front and keep the hood popped. 2 birds with one stone
This is the best set up. I do the exact same thing. Pigtail and hood cracked open.

I always wonder about charging through the cigarette lighter. Pushing power through that tiny wire to the battery seems archaic.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:07 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

I run the Cetek through the cigarette lighter next to the shifter. I bought the accessory with the 3 led lights(red yellow and green) so it indicates/flashes the status of the battery and lets me know it's connected. The tender isn't running high amps-I could use my full sized charger if I needed to, connected directly to the batt, but the Cetek has been doing its job of tending perfectly.
Before the Cetek I had an expensive "Genius" tender that failed-money down the drain
Old 03-10-2021, 11:10 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

I do like what Antigravity offers-is it the 2nd generation now? But a new charger also adds to the cost. Hopefully no fire issues(haven't heard of any instances)
What's the warranty period on them?
Old 03-11-2021, 01:01 AM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Interstate if you don't want to use a tender and are weight indifferent. Odyssey if you are willing to tender regularly and want the best bang for your buck weight reduction. Antigravity if you are willing to tender, want max weight reduction and are willing to trade $$ for peace of mind when you forget to plug in.

I've used these as well as others like Voltphreaks...in my experience, an Interstate or similar high-quality AGM will last 4-5 years with occasional abuse (ie, not tendering ever and every once in a while your car sits for weeks). Odyssey will last 7+ years while saving you 25 lbs over the stock brick...but you have to be willing to tender your car religiously when its sitting. Antigravity don't have enough data quite yet (mine is 2 years old and counting) but the auto cut-off provides a nice protection against brain farts, the weight save is meaningful even vs. an Odyssey PC925 (13.8lbs on my digital scale vs. 28-29lbs including battery mount) and the customer support is pretty impressive to boot.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:39 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JB911
I run the Cetek through the cigarette lighter next to the shifter. I bought the accessory with the 3 led lights(red yellow and green) so it indicates/flashes the status of the battery and lets me know it's connected. The tender isn't running high amps-I could use my full sized charger if I needed to, connected directly to the batt, but the Cetek has been doing its job of tending perfectly.
Before the Cetek I had an expensive "Genius" tender that failed-money down the drain

My first Noco Genuis failed also. Such a nice looking piece of equipment and it died. Arghhh.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:12 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Yeah it turns out Noco Genius sucks
And most batteries are made by Johnson Controls with different names/labels 😂
This guy does some interesting testing:

I personally prefer to stay away from lead acid batteries and the OEM one needed distilled water before it eventually died. They do perform well but I don’t like acid spills so the first thing I did was get an Agm for the GT3, same with my motorcycles

Old 03-11-2021, 06:39 AM
Specracer46
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Interstate makes a good battery, but I cant get past the green branding (even when covered). I feel batteries should be black and boring (or white if applicable)

Last edited by Specracer46; 03-11-2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:48 AM
757driver
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies. My Garage is more of a rodent fortified shed and is quite far from the house. I don't have power run there as of yet so I can't keep it on the trickle charger with any consistency. During the 5 months I don't drive the car every year I have run an extension cord out to the shed and used the Ctek every 8 weeks or so. I guess I'm leaning towards a quality AGM without going much, if any, heavier than the battery I am replacing. I really want a simple drop in that doesn't require a different tray or securing hardware. I have an Advanced Autoparts somewhat close by. Do they sell a quality AGM I can get?
Old 03-11-2021, 11:19 AM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 757driver
Thanks for all the replies. My Garage is more of a rodent fortified shed and is quite far from the house. I don't have power run there as of yet so I can't keep it on the trickle charger with any consistency. During the 5 months I don't drive the car every year I have run an extension cord out to the shed and used the Ctek every 8 weeks or so. I guess I'm leaning towards a quality AGM without going much, if any, heavier than the battery I am replacing. I really want a simple drop in that doesn't require a different tray or securing hardware. I have an Advanced Autoparts somewhat close by. Do they sell a quality AGM I can get?
I have a buddy that ran out of garage space so he stores one of this sportscars in a storage shed. The facility does not have AC power, so to facilitate trickle charging for the battery he hung a small solar panel on the outside of the building. He's been doing that for years and it's worked like a charm for him.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:22 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Specracer46
Interstate makes a good battery, but I cant get past the green branding (even when covered). I feel batteries should be black and boring (or white if applicable)
Wow.. I thought I have OCD... so knowing that under the black cover there is green plastic keeps you up at night?
Old 03-11-2021, 03:43 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Specracer46
the obvi solution is to buy a car to match your battery

Name:  yxeKEoQ.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  564.3 KB

Quick Reply: New Battery Suggestions