Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

A matter of tone: Soul vs Sharkwerks vs RSS center muffler delete. Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 06:17 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts
Default A matter of tone: Soul vs Sharkwerks vs RSS center muffler delete. Opinion?

I'd like to add just a smidge more noise to my 997.2 GT3. Frankly I dig it now, but a little more won't hurt. What I don't want is obnoxious when I'm not in sport mode. And droning in sport mode.

I know Sharkwerks is a huge seller, and in fact I have one on my other car, but this is different. I think the other contenders like GMG etc may have the deepest, most guttural sound and that's not what I want.

$$ difference is not an issue. PK911 has the RSS and from what I could gather it was a higher pitch tone closer to that of a GP bike. That's attractive to me. From what I got from John at Soul (great guy on the phone BTW), they are somewhat in the middle.

By the way....I did a search on this topic hence my posting here. It hasn't been covered a lot at least that was helpful, esp with Soul.

I appreciate your thoughts. Especially if you heard a Bud's car and his was different from yours.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:58 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,115 Posts

So I had a Sharkwerks on my 997.2 C2S with PSE. Bought new from them. While it was ok, it wasn't quite loud enough for me. It sounded basically like it should have come from factory with this exhaust. A full Tubi setup would have probably been better on the 997.2 C2S.

However, on the 997 GT3, the Sharkwerks is perfect. It's quite amazing. Alex at Sharkwerks provides amazing customer service, although my car came with the Sharkwerks on it, so I didn't buy directly from, but the times when I've reached out to him, he's always great to work with. I also like that you can use stock tips or use the 88mm tips. You can't with the GMG or the RSS. I would say the Sharkwerks isn't super high pitch, but also not super deep. It's in the middle, but I think it sounds like a proper GT3 should, also very exotic.

If you haven't seen this video from Doug on the RSS, I think it's worth a watch. It does sound a bit higher pitched than my Sharkwerks, I'd say, but very close. Granted, I have not heard it in person and really that's what you need to compare.

I know this probably wasn't super helpful, since I've only heard cars with Sharkwerks in person along with a full fabspeed system.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:00 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm quite happy with my M&M center bypass and the Soul valved side deletes. The M&M is close to a Sharkwerks, and you can use the OEM mounting hardware, others can't. Sound is fantastic

If you wanna listen to GT3 exhausts, check out the rallye videos:

Old 02-25-2021, 07:09 PM
650kid
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Love my Dundon Crackpipe. Send it.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:14 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Also, Scott from Softronic discusses exhausts here on post #30:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ennlist-2.html
Old 02-25-2021, 11:56 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JB911
Also, Scott from Softronic discusses exhausts here on post #30:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ennlist-2.html
Thanks for that. Interesting. One of my best buds is chief product engineer at FMF. I'm going to pick his brain.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:06 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I'd like to add just a smidge more noise to my 997.2 GT3. Frankly I dig it now, but a little more won't hurt. What I don't want is obnoxious when I'm not in sport mode. And droning in sport mode.

I know Sharkwerks is a huge seller, and in fact I have one on my other car, but this is different. I think the other contenders like GMG etc may have the deepest, most guttural sound and that's not what I want.

$$ difference is not an issue. PK911 has the RSS and from what I could gather it was a higher pitch tone closer to that of a GP bike. That's attractive to me. From what I got from John at Soul (great guy on the phone BTW), they are somewhat in the middle.

By the way....I did a search on this topic hence my posting here. It hasn't been covered a lot at least that was helpful, esp with Soul.

I appreciate your thoughts. Especially if you heard a Bud's car and his was different from yours.
I've done SW, RSS and GMG. and they are increasingly louder in that order. RSS and GMG push it to being noticeably louder than SW. SW is the option if you just want a little more volume than the OE solution and like all bypass allows you to "unplug" if you want to get rid of the on/off loud/quiet flap function (you can't do that with OEM muffler due to insane drone in mid-rpms). RSS and GMG are more of a commitment to "I want a noticeably louder after mkt exhaust" (good but loud). And GMG being one notch louder than RSS. SW makes people wonder "hmm is that car oe or after-mkt exhaust?"
Old 02-26-2021, 12:57 PM
Steve2k1116
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts

I've had an RSS and currently have a Sharkwerks, I much prefer the Sharkwerks. Sounds is much better to my ears and i like that you have a choice at tips where RSS you dont. But sound is all preference and you cant go wrong with either.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:18 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Aside from the ability to use existing hardware/straps to mount the center bypass, M&M and Sharkwerks are disconnected from each bank.
The Rallye videos give an idea on a variety of systems. The RSRs also had a few different designs, the worst one was the side exhaust in front of the rear wheels which sounded pathetic, like a vuvuzela

Here's the nice sounding RSR:

Here's a GT3R:

My setup is almost like a supercup, but I have valves and stock cats. Pretty happy with it
Old 02-26-2021, 01:45 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Here's my setup:

Supercup:
Old 02-26-2021, 01:46 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve2k1116
I've had an RSS and currently have a Sharkwerks, I much prefer the Sharkwerks. Sounds is much better to my ears and i like that you have a choice at tips where RSS you dont. But sound is all preference and you cant go wrong with either.
Can you elaborate on what that means? Is the Sharkwerks deeper? How about from the interior in and out of sports mode?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2021, 02:06 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

I don't think the Sharkwerks would be deeper sounding and I wouldn't want deeper/lower frequencies that are already adequate in my opinion. My M&M is close to the Sharkwerks from what I've seen. Other designs have a fatter section instead of straight lines. I prefer the straight lines and as previously mentioned, hardware that can secure the center section like the OEM, using those very OEM clamps. Many center bypass sections can't have clamps.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:43 PM
Steve2k1116
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Can you elaborate on what that means? Is the Sharkwerks deeper? How about from the interior in and out of sports mode?

Thanks!
i wouldnt say deeper, the RSS was definitely a higher pitch sounds at WOT than Sharkwerks but the Sharkwerks isnt a deep sound either.

i found that the Sharkwerks in the interior was louder than the RSS with sport mode but the difference is minimal. I still feel that the Sharkwerks was just better sounding to me.

i do not have a clip of the sharkwerks but if you want one of the RSS you can hit my instagram i have a post from 8/12/18 where the RSS is full WOT.

hope that helps!
Old 02-26-2021, 04:05 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by 650kid
Love my Dundon Crackpipe. Send it.
is that a center bypass?
Old 02-27-2021, 02:40 AM
bsquare
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
is that a center bypass?
The following users liked this post:
pissedpuppy (02-27-2021)

Quick Reply: A matter of tone: Soul vs Sharkwerks vs RSS center muffler delete. Opinion?