Your Opinion: 997.1 GT3 vs 991.1 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 11:38 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Your Opinion: 997.1 GT3 vs 991.1 GTS

Hello,

Since I'm in the GT3 forum I'm sure opinions may be biased, but I'm trying to get some opinions on which you guys would choose. I have 2 little ones that I require back seats so we can go cruising on Sundays. I know that 997.1 GT3 back seats can be retro, as I almost purchased one last year when I saw a Cobalt Blue with rear seat retro-fitted for sale locally in SF Bay Area. I'm seriously kicking myself for now buying it since it was already done.

I really love the 991.1 GT3, but from my research rear seats can't be retro-fitted since there are no anchor points for rear seats, so my next best choice is GTS manual.
The 991.2 GT3 is out of my budget unfortunately.

Any insight or opinions are welcome.

Anyone selling 997.1 GT3 with rear seats??

Old 02-14-2021, 02:07 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

I sold my 997.1 C4S to get a 991.1 GTS which I still own, but missed shifting so much and the small form factor I got a 997.2 GTS manual, and I'm adding a GT3. The 991.1 is amazing, comfortable, and has great noise. Really great. So if I'm thinking "cruising" with the kids that's what I might do.
The following users liked this post:
rotaz (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 12:02 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

My kid would hate riding in the back seat of a GT3. Heck, he hated the front seat until he was able to see over the dashboard, around 12 years of age. I would say, it's not a car for passengers as it's so driver focused, the passengers usually don't have the best time in it.

991.1 GTS with a few more creature comforts might keep them in the car longer without complaining. Trust me, they will complain. Also, it legally has rear seats.

Did you ever think about a Panamera? Great car for four and the handling is great. It's an amazing car.

rotaz (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 12:05 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Saw the thread in the 991 section first so I responded there. I'll try to keep this short.

Comfort, usability, performance, legal rear seats as mentioned above, 991 GTS.

Pure driving feel and an even better sounding engine, 997 GT3.

Both are great cars. My 997.2 C2S with PDK felt too easy to me. 997 GT3 gives me the workout and driving experience I desire. The 991.1 C2S I drove and 991.2 GT3 both are amazing cars, but again just slightly too easy for what I'm looking for. Even though I think the 991.2 GT3 engine is better in many ways. As you mentioned, 991.2 GT3 is also way out of my budget.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bxstr:
mdosu (02-14-2021), Robocop305 (02-14-2021), rotaz (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 01:03 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

When I test drove the Panamera GTS at Laguna Seca it was awesome, but I want a manual. We also have a 958 Cayenne GTS for the wife. I know it’s totally different.

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
My kid would hate riding in the back seat of a GT3. Heck, he hated the front seat until he was able to see over the dashboard, around 12 years of age. I would say, it's not a car for passengers as it's so driver focused, the passengers usually don't have the best time in it.

991.1 GTS with a few more creature comforts might keep them in the car longer without complaining. Trust me, they will complain. Also, it legally has rear seats.

Did you ever think about a Panamera? Great car for four and the handling is great. It's an amazing car.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:25 PM
mdosu
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I went through a similar dilemma recently. I had my heart set on a 991.1 GTS 6MT. But the pricing got way out of hand. Precovid, there were a ton of listings, retail price $84k-$90k.

I also have two kids under 5, and wanted to transport them occasionally. My 991 experience was in a extended test drive of a turbo. Spacing wise and comfort is really good and compared to a GT3. As another poster said, it's kind of easy driving it, and that's not even considering the PDK. 991 certainly is a great street car.

Alas bc GTS pricing went bonkers, 997.1 GT3 pricing started overlapping the 991.1 GTS. I found myself an opportunity to jump into a GT3 and I did it.

I took a hard look at the rear seat and belt retrofit. I think at one point I probably will do it. You have the option of not installing the seat back or the seat bottoms as your kids seats are going straight in, and you don't want your kids seats to be scratching up the leather anyways. That's a positive because you could significantly cut down the cost of the retrofit. Seat backs alone are a big portion of the materials cost. The reason I haven't done it yet is that 997 has no LATCH option, purely belts, which is a lot more involved than I thought, both for initial install and for seat mounting. Had they made LATCH available, it would have been more straightforward since I imagine it would just be to trim carpet and bolt in LATCH. Instead with seatbelts...well you saw the DIY, the entire carpet system comes out along with a C pillar trim.

Lastly, I did install the front seat LATCH with airbag deactivation. This allows me to at least transport one kid. Totally worth it.

Since you're in the Bay Area, and if you want to take a look at the front LATCH, let me know, and I can demo it.

Last edited by mdosu; 02-14-2021 at 02:28 PM.
rotaz (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 03:48 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

A lot of good advice here. Maybe the OP would list the things that are most important to him and explain how he intends to use it.

I will say the 991.1 GTS is amazing and has great NOISE when you want it, and my wife prefers it. Mine has PDK and in the 991 form I frankly don't think I would want a manual that much. In the 997 the shifter is right where God intended it. I just drove home in my new to me 997.2 GT3 minutes ago, and it's the perfect canyon car for me, which is what I wanted. The clutch is heavy. The ride better than I expected, the nose is LOW. Daily driver? Not me, but others do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Upscale Audio:
mdosu (02-15-2021), rotaz (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 05:38 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

Wow great write up and thank you for sharing! Serious was thinking the same, I can get 997.1 or even 7.2 for close to same money so yes if we had kids it would’ve been a no brainer to go GT3.

I mean if money wasn’t an issue I’d both.

991 should be be comfy and larger interior space so the right thing to do is get a 991. I want the NA motor over a turbo not like I can utilize all that power on the street anyways. I did see that silver 997.1 turbo Manuel for sale that raised an eyebrow as the price is in the range.

I think the 991.1 manual would hold value pretty good probably better than 991.1 gt3 since they are more rare.

I’ll patiently wait for the right one to come along.

Originally Posted by mdosu
I went through a similar dilemma recently. I had my heart set on a 991.1 GTS 6MT. But the pricing got way out of hand. Precovid, there were a ton of listings, retail price $84k-$90k.

I also have two kids under 5, and wanted to transport them occasionally. My 991 experience was in a extended test drive of a turbo. Spacing wise and comfort is really good and compared to a GT3. As another poster said, it's kind of easy driving it, and that's not even considering the PDK. 991 certainly is a great street car.

Alas bc GTS pricing went bonkers, 997.1 GT3 pricing started overlapping the 991.1 GTS. I found myself an opportunity to jump into a GT3 and I did it.

I took a hard look at the rear seat and belt retrofit. I think at one point I probably will do it. You have the option of not installing the seat back or the seat bottoms as your kids seats are going straight in, and you don't want your kids seats to be scratching up the leather anyways. That's a positive because you could significantly cut down the cost of the retrofit. Seat backs alone are a big portion of the materials cost. The reason I haven't done it yet is that 997 has no LATCH option, purely belts, which is a lot more involved than I thought, both for initial install and for seat mounting. Had they made LATCH available, it would have been more straightforward since I imagine it would just be to trim carpet and bolt in LATCH. Instead with seatbelts...well you saw the DIY, the entire carpet system comes out along with a C pillar trim.

Lastly, I did install the front seat LATCH with airbag deactivation. This allows me to at least transport one kid. Totally worth it.

Since you're in the Bay Area, and if you want to take a look at the front LATCH, let me know, and I can demo it.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:38 PM
VPD255M
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver

This - 997 GT3 is such a fantastic driver's car, the flip side though is it's not a great place for most passengers..
Robocop305 (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 10:07 PM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

Buy the 997 GT3 and hold on to it till the kids are old enough to appreciate the machine. The money you save in the long run between a 991 GTS which will drop in price vs the 997 which will probably go up can fund the other car that will do the dirty work in between the times. And you’ll get to drive the GT3 on those weekend mornings/ free time all in the same time. Look at the current selection of 997 GT3’s. It’s not gonna get any better
Robocop305 (02-14-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 12:11 AM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

My wife is giving me $hit for not buying that one from last year. It was perfect 997.1 gt3 with rear seats low miles blue, my preference is white so was hesitant to buy...wish I pulled the trigger could’ve wrapped it.

thanks all for input!

Originally Posted by XrussianX
Buy the 997 GT3 and hold on to it till the kids are old enough to appreciate the machine. The money you save in the long run between a 991 GTS which will drop in price vs the 997 which will probably go up can fund the other car that will do the dirty work in between the times. And you’ll get to drive the GT3 on those weekend mornings/ free time all in the same time. Look at the current selection of 997 GT3’s. It’s not gonna get any better
Old 02-15-2021, 01:11 AM
mdosu
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you still have a sale link for that blue one?
Old 02-15-2021, 01:45 AM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

No it was on CL.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:15 PM
atibs86
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is the link to that blue one. The reason I know is because I had my eye on this one before I bought a different cobalt blue car. I don’t know anything about the condition of this car. I bought the one I did because it was a fair bit cheaper than this one, and I didn’t need it care for the rear seats.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1...2#post16150940
rotaz (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 11:09 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

Yup that’s the one!

Originally Posted by atibs86
Here is the link to that blue one. The reason I know is because I had my eye on this one before I bought a different cobalt blue car. I don’t know anything about the condition of this car. I bought the one I did because it was a fair bit cheaper than this one, and I didn’t need it care for the rear seats.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1...2#post16150940

Quick Reply: Your Opinion: 997.1 GT3 vs 991.1 GTS