Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 6 point belt question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 07:50 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts
Default GT3 6 point belt question

I am trying to put in a set of belts in my 08 GT3 that came with the carbon seats with the fixed backs. The seat brackets had these brackets that stick out on them and the ones toward the center console tore up the carpet and the side of the tunnel. I'm guessing a previous owner had belts with hooks on them that latched into these brackets.
you can kind of make it out in this photo of the passenger side (my phone is laying on the console looking down between the console and the seat). There is also about a 1/2" spacer block that doesn't help.

The belts I bought (photo below) have a much thinner loop on it that I believe I can bolt right to the seat bracket. Can anyone confirm I won't need the 1/2" block spacer and my thinking is correct? Last question, does the door side of the middle belt utilize the same bolt in the floor as the bottom of the factory 3 way belt or does it bolt to the seat bracket.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-02-2021, 08:13 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

You can kind of make out one of the bracts in this picture right next to the seat belt at the bottom of this picture.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:43 PM
karmx7
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

The belts that you are trying to use look like the Schroth’s that I use and I don’t use a spacer like your car has . Here’s a photo that shows the passenger side lap belt, unfortunately it’s kind of hard to see......

Old 01-02-2021, 09:58 PM
sdharmani
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Lap belt location

Dave,

I have Scroth belts as well.

I think on the inside (tunnel side), you could put it where the seat belt receiver bolt goes.

On the door side, mine are attached to the my factory GT2 seat rail / mount. You could attach to seat belt mount. Benefit [or disadvantage] of the attachment to seat bracket is that when you move seat forward or backward, lap belt doesn’t tighten or loosen.

I don’t think you need the spacer blocks. I have had my harness attached directly to these locations for many track seasons now.

hope this helps!

Last edited by sdharmani; 01-02-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:09 AM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdharmani
Dave,

I have Scroth belts as well.

I think on the inside (tunnel side), you could put it where the seat belt receiver bolt goes.

On the door side, mine are attached to the my factory GT2 seat rail / mount. You could attach to seat belt mount. Benefit [or disadvantage] of the attachment to seat bracket is that when you move seat forward or backward, lap belt doesn’t tighten or loosen.

I don’t think you need the spacer blocks. I have had my harness attached directly to these locations for many track seasons now.

hope this helps!

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million,
Dave
Old 01-05-2021, 09:18 PM
Belinko
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts

IMHO, it is preferable to be able detach the lap belts and remove them from the vehicle with the clips (super easy). Keeps the belts out of the seat, potentially damaging upholstery and banging against the door, while street driving. Needless to say, I use the clips.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:50 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Belinko
IMHO, it is preferable to be able detach the lap belts and remove them from the vehicle with the clips (super easy). Keeps the belts out of the seat, potentially damaging upholstery and banging against the door, while street driving. Needless to say, I use the clips.

smart man Belinko.
I use this on the tunnel side

and use the same hardware bolted to the chassis rail attachment point.
Very secure and can easily remove belts as required.

Be well

ps. Yes, I know doing this on the tunnel side is not as robust as bolting to the chassis, but the OP was also enquiring about attaching to the seat mount.

Last edited by cgfen; 01-05-2021 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:48 AM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
smart man Belinko.
I use this on the tunnel side

and use the same hardware bolted to the chassis rail attachment point.
Very secure and can easily remove belts as required.

Be well

ps. Yes, I know doing this on the tunnel side is not as robust as bolting to the chassis, but the OP was also enquiring about attaching to the seat mount.

That is the hardware my car came with. The downside is the car also came with an 8" hole in the carpet on the side of the tunnel from moving the seat back and forth.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:28 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If you use the clip in ends, you need to pin them. There is a small hole for a cotter pin or safety wire to keep the latch from opening.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:16 PM
Belinko
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts

^^ true statement, it is not FIA certified installation without a cross pin/cotter pin/wire/split pin etc.

For my DE purposes it is sufficient, convenient and safe as perceived by me. I understand that there are unpredictable moments that can occur in a collision and forces could be applied to this mechanical connection that may allow it to open. From my observations and my specific installation, utilizing the BK lap belt mounts and their tapered slot geometry, with the belt under tension, I'm willing to take the risk that the clip (bracket) will not be able to open. Also note, the other four connection points in my setup utilize a standard wrap around the bar (i.e. no clips for the sub strap or shoulders).

Originally Posted by my first 911
That is the hardware my car came with. The downside is the car also came with an 8" hole in the carpet on the side of the tunnel from moving the seat back and forth.
Likely wrong spacer stack up, i.e. poor installation IMHO.

Last edited by Belinko; 01-06-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:31 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

A true tech inspection would catch it and fail it. Keep some pins or safety wire in your glove box just in case.

Quick Reply: GT3 6 point belt question