Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Underbody puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 09:19 PM
ard
Burning Brakes

Received 207 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Underbody puzzle

I am puzzled by what I see on the underside of my '08 RS. The underside panel of the bumper cover is bulging even though the tabs on the bumper are properly fastened to their respective positions on the body.

The aerokit fastening bracket appears correctly mounted to the corresponding tab on the underside of the body but I cannot get the underside panel to seat on the bracket so that I can push the tabs on the bracket outward. The bumper cover fits correctly from the front and sides; there are no gaps with the front fenders or hood. The car has not had any offs or been hit. The spoiler lip likewise appears to fit correctly and the underside of the bumper cover sits flush along the inner contour of the spoiler lip.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the bumper cover could be an aftermarket piece (I am the second owner of the car), but there is nothing in the car's records, which I have from new, to indicate that, nor does the bumper cover look any different than an OEM factory RS front bumper cover.

I don't understand why the underside panel is not sitting flush, nor why there is a short ~1 in shaft on the aerokit fastening bracket above the tabs. Why would the bracket not be shorter so that the panel sits flush with underbody? Bonus question: what is the rectangular cutout on the passenger side of the bumper cover panel?

panel bulging on passenger side

cannot get bumper cover to seat on aerokit fastening bracket

bumper cover is attached to factory mounting points

rectangular cutout, with smooth painted edges on passenger side

Please post pictures of the front underside of your .1 RS; I don't want to tear into my front bumper without knowing what "correct" looks like.

TIA

/alex
Old 12-27-2020, 09:54 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Are you sure the bumper was not damaged and then repainted? Could be a result of it being baked for curing, or was deformed as part of a mishap.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:06 PM
ard
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by noro78
Are you sure the bumper was not damaged and then repainted? Could be a result of it being baked for curing, or was deformed as part of a mishap.
Thanks for the reply. I am fairly certain that the bumper was not damaged or repainted. That being said, it would surprise me that an OEM bumper could deform; at what temperature are parts baked for curing? As for it deforming from a mishap I would expect damage to the mounting tabs in that case, and the mounting tabs look fine. Any idea what the rectangular cutout on the bottom of the bumper is?

/alex

Last edited by ard; 12-30-2020 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:34 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I think they all have the cutout. I'll look today as soon as the ground dries up. I have a .1
Old 12-29-2020, 11:54 AM
ard
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I think they all have the cutout. I'll look today as soon as the ground dries up. I have a .1
Much appreciated
Old 12-29-2020, 12:44 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 296 Posts

It looks like your bumper is not properly seated to the center duct work, that will create the bulged. The Black cone is contoured you have to rotate it to have it site flush.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:35 AM
ard
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
It looks like your bumper is not properly seated to the center duct work, that will create the bulged. The Black cone is contoured you have to rotate it to have it site flush.
Thanks for the insight, sent you a PM as well. Regarding the black cone, it has a raised line, on the perimeter, in the axial direction which lines up with a corresponding notch on the circular opening in the bumper. Even with the line aligned to the notch I cannot get the bumper to slide over the tabs on the cone.

Quick Reply: Underbody puzzle