Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What's Next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2020 | 10:51 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD_05
To All-

Too much great advice to use the multi-quote fxn , thanks to all! It's cool how we with a common interest have similar ideas / thought processes. Ever since I saw Clarkson's episode on it on TopGear the CLK63 Black has always interested me, unfortunately never had the chance to drive one let alone see one in person. Couldn't afford one when I saw that episode, prices have gone up since then, duh... 1M is right near the top of the list, especially one that has been mod'd a bit. 964 or 993 is at the top of my list, 914-6 on the radar, I love how small they are etc. Mooty, thanks for your insight as always. Is yours a 914 a 6? Basically stock from a performance standpoint?

Thanks again everyone!

Tony
CLK63 Black was around $140k new. They're going for $70-90k now depending on spec. I have not driven one but almost bought one before I bought my GT3. However, a couple things held me back. One being some maintenance items on the M156 engine such as head bolts which you can correct with new head bolts, but there also appeared to be some issues that weren't as easy to correct. For me, the Mezger based engines have the coolant line failures, but that's very easy to correct.

https://www.jacobregarlaw.com/blog/2...on-for-the-m1/

The other issue, and the one that actually prevented me from buying it is the lack of enthusiast community. When I went on MBWorld and saw that going back one page on the forums took you back one year, I knew that would be an issue for me as there was just not enough information and a following on the cars. One of the reason I like the E39 M5, E46 M3, E92 M3 community so much is due to the support of owners. With only 300 or so for the US and 500 for the world, it makes sense.

However, it's still one of my favorite cars.
Old 12-25-2020 | 03:21 PM
point2point
Rennlist Member

Another fan of the CLK63 Black Series here. I love the looks and that wonderful M156 engine. It’s a modern muscle car with excess of style and attitude. Those fenders look mighty swole!

It’s quite heavy, though, and its automatic transmission feels really old. It wouldn’t be my pick for canyon carving, but it’s wonderful for enjoying power oversteer and general hooning.
Old 12-25-2020 | 08:23 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

The following users liked this post:
TD_05 (12-26-2020)

Quick Reply: What's Next?