Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

WTB 997.1 or 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020 | 08:45 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mig233
Ok, it is time...

So, I bought a car and it was delivered to my house 3 Friday’s ago. The first few pics are it coming off the truck, the last pic is it stored in my garage.

I bought this 2010 GT3 from Doug at Switchcars. Overall it was a pretty pleasant experience. Obviously, Doug’s reputation precedes him, so I felt comfortable buying this car sight unseen. The car came as advertised, save for a few items, which are in the process of getting rectified. Doug was responsive and fair. Hopefully this is the first, but not the last time I do business with him.
nice aqua. We get out for rides quite a bit here in NJ. Season may almost be over, but spring will be here soon.

best clear protection detail guy is a buff & beyond, cranberry. Best of luck w the new ride.
Old 12-08-2020 | 09:24 AM
Mig233
Advanced

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I've been following your thread since you 1st posted, but for some reason had no idea your 1st choice was Aqua. Well done. MY FAVORITE too!!

We have sister cars (non-RS). so does @Saru385 ... we might have to start our own Aqua Blue Thread!! (The RS crew will dominate of course - + Bill & I have a great repour given our love for the 964 Turbo's too)

so Congrats!! ... I saw the car on Doug's gtvault IG too (back on Oct 22nd), and knew there were several RLers who were in the hunt (& even several RLers who have reached out to me in the past year & did indeed find theirs too)

To further add to the rarity points on our Aqua .2's:

- 491 total sold in US in 2010 (plus 51 in Canada) for a total of 542 in North America - (2011 saw another 166 sold in US, plus 7 more in Canada)
- 2010 saw a total of 11 painted in Aqua Blue, plus 4 more in 2011, for the total of 15 in NA (according to PORS9 database)

So yea, for the non-RS .2 GT3, the Aqua comes up for sale infrequently. In comparison, I think there were something like 57 .2 RS Aqua's sold in the US.

Mine has a yellow highlight theme to its spec sheet (PCCB's, yellow stitching & belts), has the seat backs painted Aqua to match, as well as a few other dash & door bits in Aqua (& there were only 5 of the 15, that came with PCCB's too).

But all of that pales in comparison to the enjoyment of driving these beasts. SOoooo much fun. Should be YEARS of great satisfaction.

Also, Kudos to having all your "buying finances" & ducks in a row, allowing you to pull the trigger quickly. I had to do the same thing. 36 hrs from initial posting & it was in my garage (+ bought it 12 hrs away from my home too, so that 36 hrs included 24 hrs of round trip hauling in my trailer!!)

=Steve
Thank you very much for all the kind words! To be honest I had a few colors that I preferred, but I didn’t want to post them. If I did, maybe it would’ve helped and maybe it would have hurt me.

My car is a pretty base spec. I have the adaptive sport seats, which after sitting in the non-adjustable buckets I am very happy that I didn’t get those. On the other hand I personally like the way the leather wrapped dash looks, so that would’ve been nice. But honestly, the most important thing (as I mentioned originally) is that the car was well maintained — the car just had a $7k service, including new PS4S tires, alignment and corner balance for previous owner who happened to be within 5lbs of me!.

yes, let’s get a thread going and see if we can locate all 15...or how close we can get to that.

I came across this video...who ended with this car:

Old 12-08-2020 | 11:24 AM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much for all the kind words! To be honest I had a few colors that I preferred, but I didn’t want to post them. If I did, maybe it would’ve helped and maybe it would have hurt me.

My car is a pretty base spec. I have the adaptive sport seats, which after sitting in the non-adjustable buckets I am very happy that I didn’t get those. On the other hand I personally like the way the leather wrapped dash looks, so that would’ve been nice. But honestly, the most important thing (as I mentioned originally) is that the car was well maintained — the car just had a $7k service, including new PS4S tires, alignment and corner balance for previous owner who happened to be within 5lbs of me!.

yes, let’s get a thread going and see if we can locate all 15...or how close we can get to that.

I came across this video...who ended with this car:https://youtu.be/ER2m0Zvs1xc
The car in that video has one of the sickest specs I have ever seen in a GT3. Whoever ordered it is my hero.
However, a bare bones GT3 drives just as well as a loaded one (maybe better if it's lighter) and after all, that's what these cars are all about.
Old 12-08-2020 | 11:43 AM
Mig233
Advanced

Yup, car is gorgeous. The yellow accents on the wing are a bit too loud for my taste...a little too Michigan Wolverine. I think the color is loud enough, the bright accents are a bit too garish for me...especially on the RS. Black accents are cool, subdued.
Old 12-08-2020 | 11:47 AM
Mig233
Advanced

Originally Posted by JG 996T
nice aqua. We get out for rides quite a bit here in NJ. Season may almost be over, but spring will be here soon.

best clear protection detail guy is a buff & beyond, cranberry. Best of luck w the new ride.
thanks. I spoke with Nick, sounds like a good guy. He’s a bit far from me, but I’m def keeping him in mind. I also spoke with Phil at car domain.
Old 12-08-2020 | 01:15 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Yes, all of the RS's are subdued lol.

I am glad you like your car.
Old 12-08-2020 | 01:29 PM
Mig233
Advanced

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
Yes, all of the RS's are subdued lol.

I am glad you like your car.
Haha right?!? Nothing says understated like a bunch of scaffolding hanging off the back of the car with plum crazy purple graphics.

Gorgeous car you have there yourself!

Last edited by Mig233; 12-08-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2020 | 09:26 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

welcome to the aqua blue gang! pretty crazy that there are only 15 of them in North America.
have had mine almost 6yrs now and getting close to 60k miles (had ~24k when i bought it).

mine has the "sofa" seats and i'm glad it does since i actually drive it a lot!
also has the painted seat backs and center console. seems like the people who spec'ed aqua liked those options.
i would have preferred the leather dash too, but the "plastic" dash is fine.
mine also has both of the dreaded "warts" (PCM and sat radio).

so yea, pretty horrible car....

older pic from around when i first got it. it's now running Giro disc 2-piece rotors, Cup 2s and SW 88mm tips.

Last edited by Saru385; 12-09-2020 at 09:28 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Saru385:
911Jetta (12-10-2020), bweSteve (12-10-2020), daddyscar (12-10-2020), EMpunker (12-14-2020), Robocop305 (12-09-2020), rrichmondd (12-10-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-09-2020 | 10:54 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Score!!

that color. yep on the specs.

Im on the hunt soon, timing sux with this GT market going bananas, but im in escrow right now buying a commercial building for my biz.....so have to wait....
Old 12-10-2020 | 08:02 PM
Mig233
Advanced

Originally Posted by Saru385
welcome to the aqua blue gang! pretty crazy that there are only 15 of them in North America.
have had mine almost 6yrs now and getting close to 60k miles (had ~24k when i bought it).

mine has the "sofa" seats and i'm glad it does since i actually drive it a lot!
also has the painted seat backs and center console. seems like the people who spec'ed aqua liked those options.
i would have preferred the leather dash too, but the "plastic" dash is fine.
mine also has both of the dreaded "warts" (PCM and sat radio).

so yea, pretty horrible car....

older pic from around when i first got it. it's now running Giro disc 2-piece rotors, Cup 2s and SW 88mm tips.
Gorgeous car! I’m not 100% certain on all the available options for these cars or what they look like, but I believe my car has the base radio. It has an aux input in the glovebox, which I believe was an option. Steel brakes, carbons woulda been cool but I was a bit afraid of the replacement costs. I believe it has an RSS center bypass, I think it sounds like Le Mans! It’s got the adaptive sport seats, which I love. I was originally hunting the buckets, but I think that would have been a mistake...no adjustability or even a way to fold them forward. I think the adaptive sports have a perfect balance of comfort and support. No sport chrono, which I like. It’s got some carbon trim on the interior, shift ****, and cup holders. Oh and it’s got the stupid fire extinguisher lol.

We should def get a thread together. And map out where everyone is located. I spoke to Steve yesterday, and what a pleasure it was to chat with a fellow enthusiast.

I have to be honest, when I was running PCA track events with my S2000, I had mixed feelings about PCA. However, the overwhelming majority of 911 owners, particularly GT3 owners were very cool and down to earth. The folks that I’ve met so far through RL or on local drives have all been great. Ownership has really been a pleasure so far. I have to make a post of initial driving impressions of the car...not sure if I should do that in this space or a separate thread.

Last edited by Mig233; 12-10-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2020 | 09:01 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Gorgeous car! I’m not 100% certain on all the available options for these cars or what they look like, but I believe my car has the base radio. It has an aux input in the glovebox, which I believe was an option. Steel brakes, carbons woulda been cool but I was a bit afraid of the replacement costs. I believe it has an RSS center bypass, I think it sounds like Le Mans! It’s got the adaptive sport seats, which I love. I was originally hunting the buckets, but I think that would have been a mistake...no adjustability or even a way to fold them forward. I think the adaptive sports have a perfect balance of comfort and support. No sport chrono, which I like. It’s got some carbon trim on the interior, shift ****, and cup holders. Oh and it’s got the stupid fire extinguisher lol.

We should def get a thread together. And map out where everyone is located. I spoke to Steve yesterday, and what a pleasure it was to chat with a fellow enthusiast.

I have to be honest, when I was running PCA track events with my S2000, I had mixed feelings about PCA. However, the overwhelming majority of 911 owners, particularly GT3 owners were very cool and down to earth. The folks that I’ve met so far through RL or on local drives have all been great. Ownership has really been a pleasure so far. I have to make a post of initial driving impressions of the car...not sure if I should do that in this space or a separate thread.
I looked at the pics that are up on the website still and you are correct, the car does have the base radio, which does not include nav. Steels are plenty and as you noted are great for replacement costs being reasonable. PCCB's have the advantage of no dust and no rusty rotors after washing and also a slightly different pedal feel. But for any track driving, they should be swapped out for steels. I would choose Girodiscs.

Interior package in carbon gives you the ebrake in carbon, shift **** in carbon and the dash pieces in carbon. The ebrake in carbon also comes with the GT3 script which I think is very cool. I would like to get one eventually for my car. If for some reason you didn't like the fire extinguisher, that is easy enough to remove, but I would keep it in. It's sort of cool to have, although if you actually wanted a functional extinguisher, I would probably get something like an element fire extinguisher.

Interested to hear your impressions, whether you post them in here or in a dedicated thread. Glad to hear you're enjoying so far. They're great cars.
Old 12-10-2020 | 10:27 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Definitely fun speaking with mig233 & to hear such enthusiasm and excitement to own his Aqua.2 .. just hearing more opinions on why these cars are so special, especially from someone else who has driven so many other varied cars, appeases the soul. And I forgot to ask about the exhaust too, so it makes sense if it has RSS center bypass. I put Sharkwerks on mine & it really wakes up the sound.

And Saru, I forgot that yours has the painted seat backs! Glad you mentioned that, as we have that option in common too. Not many with those for sure.

Re: Fire Extinguisher .. Mine had that factory option ticked, but someone removed it before my ownership (they took out the seat frame brackets too). About a year ago I went on the hunt to acquire the parts & bottle itself, but found it verrrry expensive. I agree with Bxstr that the Element can be a nice alternative. I recently bought two of those for my garage, along with some fire blankets, since I just completed a major garage renovation & wanted some "bling w/ a purpose". The 2-post lift now also gives some street cred too ;-)

Oh & hey 8Lug, thanks for the shout out on the spec too. I would have taken the car with just about any spec, but when I saw how close the theme was to my local Navy Blue Angels,.. well, it was just a perfect fit for my area. When I take it to the Annapolis C&C, the midshipmen flip out on the color combos. Oh, and mig233, the yellow "3.8" on the rear wing was removed long before my ownership. Probably right after it sold back in July 2012 at 3,800 miles. Good thing because I'm with you & would not have wanted it. I bought the car with 10k miles 2.5 yrs ago.

Taking the day off to go on a nice long drive with a couple buddies tomorrow too. Looking forward to hearing that Mezger all day long

Oh, one more thing - mig233, you mentioned above asking about the torque wrench for our Centerlocks. As mentioned, most guys on Rennlist settle in on the Precision Instruments PREC4D600F. I bought that one too, and got a combo package that included the breaker bar too. If my memory serves, I got a discount code & bought from National Tool Warehouse (which I think is a RL sponsor, cuz I see their ad pop every so often). If you already have a long 1/2" breaker bar, then getting just the torque wrench is only $315 with them.
I've had my rims off my car many times now in the 2+ yrs, and its a cake walk. Not sure why so many guys complain about the time & effort to remove. easypeezy

But I also just did a quick search, and Amazon is now selling it too (in case you have points or something to help reduce the cost).

Below is a quick link so you can see the kit:
=Steve

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by bweSteve; 12-10-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2020 | 11:01 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Definitely fun speaking with mig233 & to hear such enthusiasm and excitement to own his Aqua.2 .. just hearing more opinions on why these cars are so special, especially from someone else who has driven so many other varied cars, appeases the soul. And I forgot to ask about the exhaust too, so it makes sense if it has RSS center bypass. I put Sharkwerks on mine & it really wakes up the sound.

And Saru, I forgot that yours has the painted seat backs! Glad you mentioned that, as we have that option in common too. Not many with those for sure.

Re: Fire Extinguisher .. Mine had that factory option ticked, but someone removed it before my ownership (they took out the seat frame brackets too). About a year ago I went on the hunt to acquire the parts & bottle itself, but found it verrrry expensive. I agree with Bxstr that the Element can be a nice alternative. I recently bought two of those for my garage, along with some fire blankets, since I just completed a major garage renovation & wanted some "bling w/ a purpose". The 2-post lift now also gives some street cred too ;-)

Oh & hey 8Lug, thanks for the shout out on the spec too. I would have taken the car with just about any spec, but when I saw how close the theme was to my local Navy Blue Angels,.. well, it was just a perfect fit for my area. When I take it to the Annapolis C&C, the midshipmen flip out on the color combos. Oh, and mig233, the yellow "3.8" on the rear wing was removed long before my ownership. Probably right after it sold back in July 2012 at 3,800 miles. Good thing because I'm with you & would not have wanted it. I bought the car with 10k miles 2.5 yrs ago.

Taking the day off to go on a nice long drive with a couple buddies tomorrow too. Looking forward to hearing that Mezger all day long

Oh, one more thing - mig233, you mentioned above asking about the torque wrench for our Centerlocks. As mentioned, most guys on Rennlist settle in on the Precision Instruments PREC4D600F. I bought that one too, and got a combo package that included the breaker bar too. If my memory serves, I got a discount code & bought from National Tool Warehouse (which I think is a RL sponsor, cuz I see their ad pop every so often). If you already have a long 1/2" breaker bar, then getting just the torque wrench is only $315 with them.
I've had my rims off my car many times now in the 2+ yrs, and its a cake walk. Not sure why so many guys complain about the time & effort to remove. easypeezy

But I also just did a quick search, and Amazon is now selling it too (in case you have points or something to help reduce the cost).

Below is a quick link so you can see the kit:
=Steve

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Torque-...ag=googhydr-20
After you mentioned the seat backs being painted I was curious, for Aqua Blue for all of North America, 3/15 had seat backs in exterior color.
Old 12-11-2020 | 10:06 AM
Mig233
Advanced

thanks Steve! I was going to order this one, but now I’m checking to see if it’s the same as the link you provided. Can’t tell if this comes with the breaker bar.

https://www.tooltopia.com/Precision-...nts-PREC4D600F
Old 12-11-2020 | 11:05 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

does not look like that one includes a breaker bar. So that ToolTopia price should be compared to the $315 from National Tool Warehouse that I mentioned above.

If you click on the Amazon link I posted above, and look at the picture to the left, the breaker bar section is the 2nd down from top. It is an interchangeable part of the overall setup.

Btw, in that same picture, look at the bottom piece,... they show the "Head" connected to the "center tube",... hence the reason the entire kit looks like only 3 parts, when in fact it is actually 4 pieces in that kit.

Hope that helps

Last edited by bweSteve; 12-11-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: WTB 997.1 or 997.2 GT3