Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 07:18 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Default 997.1 GT3 Oil Level

Had an oil change this past spring by a reputable shop, on my 7.1 GT3. Drove it a little and checked level, noticed it was low on gauge. Added .25 of a quart, drove some more, then added .50 of a quart and now am at max. My guess is my initial reading was actually not actually low considering .75 got me up to max and the full indicator is supposed to represent 1.5l? If it was, as long as there is not a warning, I’m guessing oil level is still acceptable for the car?

Electronic dipstick appears to vary as well depending on how soon after driving you take the reading and also where you take it (garage is level, but a parking lot may have a slight grade). Anyone else notice this?

Oil level sender is probably working ok as it seems if it was faulty it would either show max or empty?

Last edited by Bxstr; 08-24-2020 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Edited for conciseness.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:13 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 316 Posts

The best way to guarantee you have the right amount of oil is to do the change yourself-it's 9.5 quarts with new filter.
After you change the oil, run the car and take a reading with a fully hot engine. Warm engine reading will indicate it's low, so one can panic and add oil, ending up with too much.
So you may have tried a reading with a warm engine. If you overfilled, crack open the drain on the crank case and let out some oil.
When you do an oil level check, make sure the car is level left and right. If you pull over the side of the road where the right wheels dip like most roads do, and try to get a reading with properly hot engine, it will indicate high past the normal level where it should be.
So make sure the car is leveled left and right(I never noticed a problem getting a reading with the nose up on the driveway for instance) and as mentioned, a hot engine(around 200 degrees more or less)

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 Oil Level