Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3rs aftermarket roll cage

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 01:51 PM
rm48
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 997.2 GT3rs aftermarket roll cage

Quick question regarding installing a non porsche roll cage in a 997.2 gt3rs. In order to install the roll cage, you need to drill holes in the floor of the car to install the front section of the roll cage. Is this typical? Is it anything to be concerned about? Would this be the case to install an OEM Porsche roll cage as well?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2020, 02:29 PM
TypeRS
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

If you care about the future value of the car, it is a concern.

If you intend to drive the car on the street my general advice would be that un-helmeted human heads and metal bars generally don't mix very well.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:32 PM
rm48
AutoX

Appreciate the response.
So the OEM roll cage does not drill into the floor of the car?
Old 08-19-2020, 02:36 PM
TypeRS
Instructor

I am not sure where you are located or where your car is from.

From FVD site:

Technical Info:
European GT3 RS and Club Sport versions are factory equipped with the mounting points. When installed in US and Touring versions of the GT3 and GT2 mounting points must be installed (Installation kit 996 580 982 1999 order separate if necessary).
Old 08-19-2020, 02:43 PM
rm48
AutoX

Its a US car. So the mounting points need to be installed, which is what the drilling is?
If the mounting points need to be installed, the result would be a Euro spec - which is already equipped with the mounting points. So why then would it a concern to drill the floor to install the mounting points, or am I missing something?
Really appreciate your responses, very helpful.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:55 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by rm48
Its a US car. So the mounting points need to be installed, which is what the drilling is?
If the mounting points need to be installed, the result would be a Euro spec - which is already equipped with the mounting points. So why then would it a concern to drill the floor to install the mounting points, or am I missing something?
The Euro spec cars have weld in plates installed at the factory. US cars did not except for a few of the early ones. You will need to install these.... There is also a plate (with 3 studs) that is installed underneath the car (the rubberized rust proofing needs to be cut away and resprayed) which effectively sandwiches the OEM floor board and the top mounting plate between the lower plate and the roll bar feet. This gives you some meaningful roll over protection as it's relatively structural as opposed to the aftermarket bars that attach to the seat anchors with a single bolt. Those are effectively harness bars disguised as roll bars, nothing more. From a resale standpoint, if installed properly, the OEM IVM Clubsport or Heigo bars are not going to effect resale value. Any of the aftermarket bars in my opinion will negatively effect resale from a purists standpoint. Just my $0.02..

Last edited by powdrhound; 08-19-2020 at 03:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SupraSaiyan (08-22-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 03:12 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

Quick question regarding installing a non porsche roll cage in a 997.2 gt3rs. In order to install the roll cage, you need to drill holes in the floor of the car to install the front section of the roll cage. Is this typical? Is it anything to be concerned about? Would this be the case to install an OEM Porsche roll cage as well?
Our 997 GMG RSR Harness-Rollbar does not require the drilling of holes in the floor of the car. It mounts to the seat belt anchors at the B-pillar and to the rear upper strut mounts. This way, it is less intrusive than the factory rollbar.

https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...arness-rollbar

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Last edited by gmgracing; 08-19-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:35 PM
TypeRS
Instructor

Any time you are doing something irreversible that didn't come with the car, people may view it as a negative. Porsche owners are very particular about having the car completely original the way it was sold off the lot.

Welding the plates in may not impact the perceived value to some buyers, it will deter others. Again if you care about safety on track (with a helmet) and care less about resale value, then do what is right for you. Only you can answer that for yourself.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:16 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Go the full OEM route, dont mess with anything else.

Here are the plates you need. This is for front and rear:
https://www.fvd.net/us-en/9965809829...7-gt3-gt2.html

Here is the full front and rear OEM carpet for the clubsport bar. FVD can get this too.
OEM Euro GT3 center Carpet that has the cutouts for the front and rear ClubSport sections is $1583
997 551 011 90FLW . 997 GT3 RS Center Rollbar Carpet Kit - Black - I003

And if you are looking, I am selling my OEM clubsport front and rear bars.

Last edited by bmwtye; 08-19-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:48 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 948 Likes on 526 Posts

I assume when you say roll cage you mean a 4-point rear section, which is often referred to as a "roll bar". If that is what you mean, most of the aftermarket bolt-in 4-points don't require any drilling.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 08-19-2020, 07:26 PM
Belinko
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

So many options and many opinions.
  1. There are factory full race roll bar solutions and non-factory roll bar solutions.
    • factory solution for US cars require drilling and welding, all OEM parts can be purchased and used for front and rear roll bar sections
    • non-factory solution for US cars require drilling and welding for custom cage
  2. Four point bolt in harness bar/roll bar (no drilling or welding), not intended for wheel to wheel racing
    • typically they are bolted to the rear shock towers, just like OEM
    • typically anchored to the bottom of the B-pillar into the seat belt bolt, each vendor has a slightly different design when it comes to this attachment point
    • variety of vendors sell these, with a variety of differences:
      • different materials and tubing sizes/wall thickness
      • all are welded together in different design configurations and bracing strategies
      • some harness bar/roll bars are single piece others are multi-piece, depends on the overall design
      • different overall spacing with regards to the headliner, B pillars and back most seat position
If overall cost is not an object or "preservation of OEM, concourse" go for the OEM route as mentioned above. If racing competitively perhaps go full custom. If track days, HDPE or cars and coffee I think any of the 4 point bolt in bars would be sufficient and everything is reversible to OEM.

For my 7.1 GT3 I went with a DAS rollbar, it fulfills my functional (HDPE) and budgetary needs (not $5K), it's beefy and has a foot plate unlike many other bolt in 4 point bars.

My $.02, cheers
Old 08-20-2020, 12:51 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

What’s your intended use for the car? Why are you installing a roll bar/cage?
Old 08-20-2020, 03:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

street use, do not put in bar
track use, most ppl don't drive often enough on track to need a bar
if u do drive enough on track, buy a track car with trailer and full cage
if u just want the look, any car will do
if u like safe, OEM is the way to go
there's a reason why front legs are bolted to a welded plate

Old 08-21-2020, 12:48 AM
rm48
AutoX

Originally Posted by powdrhound
The Euro spec cars have weld in plates installed at the factory. US cars did not except for a few of the early ones. You will need to install these.... There is also a plate (with 3 studs) that is installed underneath the car (the rubberized rust proofing needs to be cut away and resprayed) which effectively sandwiches the OEM floor board and the top mounting plate between the lower plate and the roll bar feet. This gives you some meaningful roll over protection as it's relatively structural as opposed to the aftermarket bars that attach to the seat anchors with a single bolt. Those are effectively harness bars disguised as roll bars, nothing more. From a resale standpoint, if installed properly, the OEM IVM Clubsport or Heigo bars are not going to effect resale value. Any of the aftermarket bars in my opinion will negatively effect resale from a purists standpoint. Just my $0.02..

thank you for the response. I am asking because I am eyeing a car. The seller sent me these images of the installation of the roll bar:

looks like they just drilled through, correct?
something to be concerned about?

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3rs aftermarket roll cage