Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Is the 997.1 GT2 still a good car? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/1189787-is-the-997-1-gt2-still-a-good-car.html)

atlrvr 04-14-2020 08:54 PM

Is the 997.1 GT2 still a good car?

Sorry for the troll-style title, but I mean it looking back with 12 years of new/go-fast cars, is there anything special about it, or was it simply a very fast car?

I ask, because I'm considering buying one after I spend months* of selective research to affirm whatever half-baked decision I come up with after seeing if the good people of Rennlist, and hopefully a few current or previous owners, opine here.

Background:

1) I always make perfectly rational irrational decisions. My 2 current daily drivers are a 991.2 GT3 Touring and a 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser. Perfect for most occasions, and can always borrow the wife's Audi A7 when real practicality becomes necessary. I don't ever really think about selling cars. Prefer to assume I'll buy forever and if I don't, so be it.

2) I want a car that would be unique enough to not simply be an alternative to the GT3T. It should bring a smile to my face for its own strengths. I find absurdity a strength, fwiw. Car probably doesn't need to be daily driver, but it should be uniquely exciting enough that I would want to just go drive it a few times a month just because it brings a smile.

3) related to number 1, while I said I don't care about selling that's not true. While I wouldn't mind starting to hoard cars (collecting implies something different I think) that are special to me, they need to be special enough to other people that in theory if I decided to sell they retain value better than the avg $200k car...feels like that should be related to driving experience, but I dunno. I certainly don't think it is a going to be a great investment, so simply not depreciating as fast as other cars is a good enough bar.

Which brings me to what is confusing to me.

1) These sold at auction and at dealers in the $235k to $260k range a few years ago. Prices have been trending down.

2) Cars sit around at dealers for a while.

3) Most cars available now seems to have 5-6 previous owners.

So.....that leads me to assume:

1) Prices shot up because all limited production Porsches went up.

2) They aren't really special cars at all. Just really fast 11-12 year old cars.

So, would love to hear that view affirmed from a previous owner, or conversely someone that plans to keep one as a dead man's car tell what makes it awesome.

If you bothered to read all this and conclude I talked myself out of one, you might be right, but definitely can be talked into being impulsive.

* ~6 months cause I have to relocate my driveway and build a new garage because my GT3T chin doesn't scrape with FAL up, but the rear diffuser does, and yes, I know to drop the FAL once I'm slightly on grade. Also... optimistically assuming prices will be slightly lower cause COVID etc, and buying cheaper is way better strategy than hoping to buy a car that will go up in value.

TheSilverFox 04-14-2020 09:15 PM

“I'm considering buying one after I spend months* of selective research to affirm whatever half-baked decision I come up with ”
if you’ve spent months thinking/researching there’s probably something to it.

“ I want a car that would be unique enough”
GT2 is pretty unique

“I wouldn't mind starting to hoard cars”
Hoarding cars much better than hoarding toilet paper

The real answer to me is forced induction vs naturally aspirated. What do you prefer?

Bxstr 04-14-2020 09:58 PM

Not going to say whether or not you should buy, but will explain a couple reasons why you are seeing the things you are in the market.

$250-260k prices at auctions years ago. First, the market for Porsche’s was hotter than it is now a couple years back and it is still hot now. But look at RS Green 997.1 GT3’s that were selling for ridiculous numbers, 991 GT3’s trading for over ask, GT4’s selling for $10k or more over MSRP. The market has softened to where it probably should be. May go down a bit more, but the market is more normal now.

Cars sit on dealer lots either because they are priced too high for the condition, or that the market is just slow at that time. The best cars that are clean are going to sell at the correct market price, sometimes they won’t even come up on the market. Also people get scared away seeing a car sitting on a lot for a couple months. That alone may keep some away.

5-6 owners. My opinion which has been gained from people in the business is don’t judge a car on the number of owners. Everyone on rennlist and your fellow car friends like to talk about buying and selling cars, trying something new. For some reason when buying a car people see a number of owners as a bad thing. Not an issue if the car was properly maintained and has records to show that it wasn’t flipped due to problems or that no one ever changed the oil because they thought the last guy did it. Buy on condition and buy the seller.

noro78 04-14-2020 10:24 PM

Now answering your question, simply addressing 1 point.
My car had 6 previous owners. I've had the car for 3 years....not a single thing wrong with it. Lesson I learned:. do not make assumption based on the # of owners. A car CAN have only 1 awful owner can't it?

osu s2k 04-14-2020 11:04 PM

As previous 2009 GT2 owner, if you like turbo cars it’s fantastic, much better experience than the 997.1 turbos. Chassis is lively and scary at times. Very rare. Likely values to hold and not likely drop much. Sometimes its fun to lull around and use the low end torque to tool around town.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8f932d6d9.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cd32ca196.jpeg
Find 09 if you can. I follow market closely maybe one comes up for sale per 12-18 months

Marv 04-15-2020 09:19 AM

Like Bxstr said. The market for limited run cars is not the same as high production cars. It follows its own rules.

Covid-19 is much less likely to impact the market of limited run cars. Unless it's a fire sale, people tend to sell in no particular hurry. Unlike mass production cars, where a pipeline of new vehicles keep hitting the dealers' lots, there is less pressure to dump high-end cars where the pipeline is a trickle.

Right now the first weapon dealers and manufactures are using is attractive financing, but you haven't seen prices falling on new cars ( sed inventory does seem to be softening a little). Also, manufactures are shut down, so there is less pressure to push cars off dealer's lots due to inventory overcrowding. Dealers still need to pay their rent, expenses, and employees, but seem reluctant to slash prices just yet, particularly on high-dollar inventory.

pissedpuppy 04-15-2020 10:49 AM

serious?

Mr. Adair 04-15-2020 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bxstr (Post 16548104)
Not going to say whether or not you should buy, but will explain a couple reasons why you are seeing the things you are in the market.

$250-260k prices at auctions years ago. First, the market for Porsche’s was hotter than it is now a couple years back and it is still hot now. But look at RS Green 997.1 GT3’s that were selling for ridiculous numbers, 991 GT3’s trading for over ask, GT4’s selling for $10k or more over MSRP. The market has softened to where it probably should be. May go down a bit more, but the market is more normal now.

Cars sit on dealer lots either because they are priced too high for the condition, or that the market is just slow at that time. The best cars that are clean are going to sell at the correct market price, sometimes they won’t even come up on the market. Also people get scared away seeing a car sitting on a lot for a couple months. That alone may keep some away.

5-6 owners. My opinion which has been gained from people in the business is don’t judge a car on the number of owners. Everyone on rennlist and your fellow car friends like to talk about buying and selling cars, trying something new. For some reason when buying a car people see a number of owners as a bad thing. Not an issue if the car was properly maintained and has records to show that it wasn’t flipped due to problems or that no one ever changed the oil because they thought the last guy did it. Buy on condition and buy the seller.

^ Bingo. My car passed through 3 owners in 18 months. Twice within the same family. Rarish, semi collector cars can move through peoples collections without even hitting the market. Condition and seller. In terms of value, I think the 997 platform is the sweet spot right now. They have been up and down a bit but I am positive they will reach those great numbers form 5 years ago or higher in time. We saw quality 7.2RS's hit 350K at one point. GT2's are even rarer and hold value even better. I think overall this is not a bad time to get in...

JG 996T 04-15-2020 12:04 PM

GT2 is a great car. Very limited production. Manual. Mezger. RWD.

Capable then - and still competitive now.

Porsche hasn't built a GT2 since then, and may never again.

atlrvr 04-15-2020 01:17 PM

Thanks all so far for the replies. I guess I haven't fundamentally answered the "Do I want a Turbo?" question yet.

I purposely bought the 991.2 GT3T as my daily because it was N/A. In fact, it was a bit overboard, but I was frustrated with that none of the 2016 GTS's I was seeing last year were optioned the way I wanted, and didn't want a 991.2 to daily given turbo.

Prior to that I was driving a 2014 Cayman S as a daily, because also not turbo (it was also a former PCNA corporate car specced in Racing Yellow with PCCB, PTV, Sport Chrono etc, so it felt special)

That said, in my mind the GT2, must be great at being a Turbo, given now 4-generations of being positions at the top of the turbo range.

Specifically, what would make it special (to me) is if it was very docile at low-RPMs and compliant in traffic, but when I find open space and step on it, it gives the feeling of being launched from a cannon. My GT3T is great as a non-turbo car being very linear, which is what i like as a daily, but again, want to buy a car that offer a very different experience. Basically, something that exaggerates the turbo sensation, while still being civilized. Reality is I'd probably never track it.

My only point about seeing most cars currently with dealers having 5+ owners (and quite a few with dealers for over a year), is that implies that people that have owned them enjoyed them for a year or so, but then moved onto a different car, but maybe there is some selection bias here and the other ~180 other cars not for sale are with people that would never dream of selling, which is what I'm trying to understand.

osu s2k - given you owned one but since sold, any regrets on selling? curious what else you've owned since then. also, you mentioned trying to find a 2009. i assume that's because of the more limited production? i know the PCM also changed, but that's not important to me as I only got a smart phone when my company took away my blackberry, and am borderline Luddite. were there any other changes between 2008 and 2009? Gorgeous car by the way!

Thanks again everyone. Would also love to get the opinion of someone who still owns one and how'd they compare to to more recent Porsches.

point2point 04-15-2020 02:06 PM

I'm thinking about picking up something really special at the end of the year. Have been thinking about the 997 GT2, McLaren 675LT and Ferrari Challenge Stradale. All three are pretty rare and have similar worldwide production numbers.

The GT2 is a decently high performing car, but its performance is no longer stunning by current standards. Its appeal to me is as an icon for a golden era of Porsche. As a driving experience, I do prefer exercising naturally aspirated engines. I admit the GT2's draw for me is more ownership than driving. I wouldn't expect it to be as fun to drive as my 997.2 GT3 4.2.

The 675LT is a performance monster. It also seems much more "exotic" than the GT2. The concern I have with McLaren from an ownership perspective is that they keep releasing new models on a very aggressive cadence. It's less of a factor with the 675LT, which has already taken a pretty massive depreciation hit. This one is quite tempting for me.

The Challenge Stradale is currently at the top of my lust list. It sounds awesome. It's a very raw and visceral driving experience. I think it looks gorgeous. It's a Ferrari. Weaknesses? Not very quick compared to the other two or against modern performance cars.

pissedpuppy 04-15-2020 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by point2point (Post 16549512)
I'm thinking about picking up something really special at the end of the year. Have been thinking about the 997 GT2, McLaren 675LT and Ferrari Challenge Stradale. All three are pretty rare and have similar worldwide production numbers.

The GT2 is a decently high performing car, but its performance is no longer stunning by current standards. Its appeal to me is as an icon for a golden era of Porsche. As a driving experience, I do prefer exercising naturally aspirated engines. I admit the GT2's draw for me is more ownership than driving. I wouldn't expect it to be as fun to drive as my 997.2 GT3 4.2.

The 675LT is a performance monster. It also seems much more "exotic" than the GT2. The concern I have with McLaren from an ownership perspective is that they keep releasing new models on a very aggressive cadence. It's less of a factor with the 675LT, which has already taken a pretty massive depreciation hit. This one is quite tempting for me.

The Challenge Stradale is currently at the top of my lust list. It sounds awesome. It's a very raw and visceral driving experience. I think it looks gorgeous. It's a Ferrari. Weaknesses? Not very quick compared to the other two or against modern performance cars.

uhhh, 4.2L?

who did that build?

point2point 04-15-2020 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy (Post 16549727)
uhhh, 4.2L?

who did that build?

Autometrics did the build last Summer.

mchrono 04-15-2020 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by atlrvr (Post 16549351)
........Specifically, what would make it special (to me) is if it was very docile at low-RPMs and compliant in traffic, but when I find open space and step on it, it gives the feeling of being launched from a cannon.......Reality is I'd probably never track it.........

It sounds like a 997TT might actually be better for you than a GT2. With anything short of good rubber and surface condition / temp, you will quickly run out of rear tire traction at WOT, especially with any sort of power upgrades. There is a reason the TT is AWD. You can mod the heck out of both the TT and GT2 (if you were so inclined), but the TT will always do better in the acceleration department. I used to be all about high revving NA motors back when I used to race, but reality is most of them are quite underwhelming on the street. Conversely, the production turbo cars aren't really known for their track prowess. If you have come this far to post your question here, you know there aren't many cars that are highly competent in multiple roles.

Regarding the cars having 5+ owners, Id have to echo many of the other comments here to the effect that that should not necessary be a concern. Look back at the 991 GT2RS a couple of years ago. Like that car, the first 2-3 997GT2 owners were likely flippers/VIP's who probably stored them away and keep them out of the sunlight, babied, and always detailed and dusted. It's probably only now or in the last few years or so that these car's current and immediately former owners were likely to have been non-collectors or at least people more willing to drive and enjoy them. With so few having been produced, they are and will always be collector cars.

....The GT2 is a decently high performing car, but its performance is no longer stunning by current standards.....

This is true and has always been true with each new generation. The problem is that the top cars today are not as entertaining and do not connect you to the road like the older ones used to. At the end of the day, it's a balance between absolute performance and fun factor. The two are very strongly correlated of course, but there are any number of trade-offs, each of us much make on their own based on our own experience, preferences, desires, and means.

Originally Posted by atlrvr (Post 16549351)
..........Would also love to get the opinion of someone who still owns one and how'd they compare to to more recent Porsches.

I just bought mine last year. Cross shopped 991.2 GT3 and 991.1 RS. Unimpressed with both on the street save for the redline and PDK which is definitely fun in its own way, but both cars lacked that satisfaction that comes with being pushed into the back of the seat with the right pedal. Back when I was a kid, my first exposure to Porsche was going for a full-throttle joyride in a '76 930. Back then, that thing was an absolutely untouchable rocket ship ride. To me, a 911 is missing something if it cant still do that.

I would also be remiss if I omitted the fact that I considered which car would be a better "investment" or at least the better store of value, as I am not a multiple car collector.

osu s2k 04-15-2020 05:04 PM

997 gt2 is direct descendant of 930....i could easily daily gt2 albeit clutch is heavy, i sold mine because the na rs feels more special and a bit more fun winding it out on the backroads. Gt2 with a tune is every bit as fast as most anything except a hypercar and u will quickly out of road. I think collector value
is there. Prices are 25-50k off msrp whereas i paid just over msrp for my 10k mile 997.1 rs. I miss it but enjoy other cars more....i still have my 76 930

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1beaa3466.jpeg
44 years apart

Colorado964turbo 04-15-2020 06:18 PM

I semi DD my bone stock 996TT and would drive a 997TT all day long.

Atlrvr why did you not want a turbo car for a DD. The 6TT and 7TT's I have driven were nice and docile until on the boost. Mine was the ultimate highway car.

Steve Theodore 04-15-2020 06:37 PM

I think I can give you a pretty well rounded answer. I've owned Porsche 911s since 2009 and have owned 2 996TTs (first in 2009, second in 2018). In 2013 I bought my 2010 997.2 GT3 RS and it's my 'forever' car. Truly the greatest car I've been lucky enough to own, and by considerable margin.

However, I come from a turbocharged background and that relates heavily to this story. Cars like Toyota Supra Turbos, and Nissan 300ZX Turbos, Nissan GTRs, etc. It's what originally drew me to the 996TT as an amazing first Porsche because I knew I'd love the engineering but didn't want to give up on the forced induction experience. Fast forward to spring of 2018 when I'm thumbing through my monthly issue of Panorama and I spot a 2008 GT2 available for a price I just *might* be able to afford if I quickly sold my 996TT and GT-R (and coughed up a bit of cash). I did a bunch of research quickly on the 997.1 GT2 and soon realized it was the unsung hero in the Mezger lineup. Even the 996 GT2s seemed to have a more ravenous and loyal following. I couldn't figure out why, but I knew how much I loved the 997 generation and the rarity and special nature of the car certainly appealed to me. I put together a deal on principle, sold both of my cars within 3 weeks, and sent all my money internationally (holy crap...that was nuts!) to pay for my new 997.1 GT2.

On my actual birthday last year (April 2019) I took delivery of my 2008 GT2 and, with my wife happily in tow, we drove it about 2800 miles from Toronto, ON, Canada back to Seattle, WA, Along the way I became a registered importer at the border, got to drive in practically every road condition possible, and generally had one hell of a great time enjoying my new car with my best friend with me! We saw dry roads, wet roads, every fuel grade you can imagine, snowy roads, icy roads, and generally just had a big adventure together. I wouldn't trade any of it and the GT2 was such a wonderful car to make the trip in. We were both sad to finally get home as we truly enjoyed it as a life-long memory.

I personally believe the 997.1 GT2 is one of the most undervalued modern Porsche 911s available on the market. It's a much more special car than people seem to realize, but I remain uncertain if it will stay that way forever or if the tide will eventually turn in its favor. With 1242 made worldwide and only 194 sold in the USA, I tend to believe that the secret will eventually get out, and way too many of these fine cars are already being stored in protective cocoons and not enjoyed on the road and track. Needless to say, I already have mine and have no plans to let it go until I cannot drive a manual transmission anymore. It's just a sensational car all around and is special enough to remind you of it on every single drive. :)

PS. I would also recommend buying a 2009 model if you can, but they are very few and far between. They come with PCM v3.0 which is a very worthwhile factory option. Best wishes to you on your indecisiveness of course!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9f473c85b9.jpg
Taking delivery on my birthday!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9e8ca9537d.jpg
Visiting Mount Rushmore on the way home
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7c7746279a.jpg
Cruising through Montana
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e8eb0a476c.jpg
Safe at home at last!

osu s2k 04-15-2020 11:13 PM

Steve. I never tire of hearing your delivery story, much more exciting than guys like me taking a photo unloading from a truck. Stay safe!

ScottArizona 04-15-2020 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by osu s2k (Post 16550991)
Steve. I never tire of hearing your delivery story, much more exciting than guys like me taking a photo unloading from a truck. Stay safe!

+1000. Love that he did it with his “best friend!” I’d love to do a trip like that one day with my wife!

Steve Theodore 04-16-2020 01:14 AM

Thanks for remembering me @osu s2k and @ScottArizona . It truly was a special trip and a really great adventure, and I'm glad to have friends here cheering me on and remembering it well. My thanks to you and your families, and I hope you're all doing well during 'corona-days'. :)

4th911 04-16-2020 07:46 AM

Why I have a GT2

This is a great thread to remind us what a great car the GT2 is.

I bought my 2008 GT2 in 2014. I am the 3rd owner, and have never regretted buying it.

I sold my 1995 Merc SL300 to buy my first 911, a 1990 964C2 tip in 1999 and was immediately attracted to the rawness and directness of its feedback and have loved Porsche ever since. From the 964, i moved up to a 94 993C2, then a 95 993TT (which I kept for 5 yrs) and then a 2004 996TT tiptronic with X50 kit and was contemplating a 997 GT3 (having driven a friend's car and loved it while missing the manual 993TT) when this car became available. The manual gear shift, the immediate response of the turbo engine with the VVT compared to the GT3 NA and its rarity made it a no brainer.

Its been an absolute delight everytime I took it out, be it a short trip up the hills or a long journey ( just did 2500 mile 8 day round trip to the south of Thailand last month before the Covid lock down)... yes, it can get unruly if you got a bit heavy footed and sloppy (unlike the GT4) but thats why its so rewarding to drive..it requires respect and skill when you want to have a blast but will happily purr when you drive it as a cruiser. I like to describe the way it drives as a GT3 on steroids. I am still learning to be a better driver driver and everytime I push it further, it lets me know that it will have more to give when I am ready.

Maintenance wise, other than a clutch and some Sharkwerks turbo hose elbows, it's been really good.

My only word of advice? The clutch pedal IS stiff and can be grating if you have to use the car in stop start traffic frequently... if that is not a problem for you...then what are you waiting for??

Whatever you choose to buy..there's no such thing as a bad Porsche...enjoy!!

Honestly, I also have a GT4 which is a blast and quick around the track, and is in fact quicker, but this car is the one that makes you sweat and laugh when you get out after a few laps cos it requires a bit more work to get the same performance out of it.

Like someone said, I will drive this car until my knees won't allow me to enjoy it anymore.

Earlierapex 04-16-2020 11:50 AM

I just bought an 08 GT2 a few months ago. I've probably owned 15 porsches; most recent road car was a 991 GT3. I also had a wildly modified 996 GT2. The 997 GT2 is WAY more comfortable, quiet and docile around town than the 991 GT3, which my wife always hated. It's surprisingly non-GT like and very easy to drive, but it still has that old-school 911 light and spritely front-end steering feel that is a bit muted in the 991. It also feels like a much smaller car than the 991. The turbo hit is a hoot, and it will get sideways on you but in a predictable and fun way!

The only thing I don't like about it is the now extremely dated infotainment system which was old and dated feeling when it was new. There's no bluetooth and the NAV looks like they borrowed it from 1986...

Steve Theodore 04-16-2020 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Earlierapex (Post 16551980)

The only thing I don't like about it is the now extremely dated infotainment system which was old and dated feeling when it was new. There's no bluetooth and the NAV looks like they borrowed it from 1986...

You've actually touched on an interesting point here, and something I can personally relate to. The 2008 GT2 is factory equipped with the earlier PCM v2.0, which we can all admit is quite dated when compared to modern cars. I was a bit bummed out when I first learned that my own GT2 had it's PCM v2.0 system completely removed sometime during it's ownership, and instead had a semi-problematic aftermarket stereo installed. I was not a big fan of this, and it really made me question why anyone would remove a stock stereo from any GT2...but there is a silver lining to be found here.

One reason that older era cars from the 90s and early 00s remain popular is that they don't have big screens which can horribly date them. As soon as a manufacturer goes to an integrated screen, it's very likely that this system will not age well, particularly when you fast forward 10+ years into the future. Case in point is my beloved 2012 Lexus IS-F, which has a large integrated screen that appears to be eons old when compared to modern cars.

The former owner of my GT2 unknowingly did me a small favor (it pains me to say this btw, as I've fought with the aftermarket stereo and even had to replace the aftermarket amplifier already) as my own interior remains fairly modern in comparison with a double DIN sized 'modern' touch screen, that I can continue to upgrade over time as technology changes.

Had I purchased a GT2 with the original PCM v2.0, there is no way I'd have pulled it out. I would have found ways to add BlueTooth with aftermarket solutions and to leave the OEM system alone. This is the main reason I always recommend that people try to buy 2009 GT2s, due to the inclusion of PCM v3.0. However, there are only so many 2009 GT2s to go around! :)

atlrvr 04-16-2020 03:34 PM

This is all great stuff, and really appreciate the details (and pics). Steve, what a great drive. I drove Charlotte to Vancouver, BC in 2.5 days about 20 years ago in my 1996 BMW E36 M3 (sleeping in my car outside Madison, WI and Butte, MT), and it's amazing to see see that much diversity across the country.

It sounds like if I take the plunge, I'd end up daily driving it a lot more than I expected. I live in the city and drive in traffic about 1 mile to get on the interstate, then reverse commute against traffic to my office for about 12 miles.

I bot the GT3T because it was Brewster Green and specced 95% exactly what I would have done if I was to build it myself. I actually was planning on waiting for a 992 Touring to be released, and was looking at a 997.2 TTS in Dark Blue Metallic in Chicago a few months ago, but I decided to think over the weekend and it sold, and then the green GT3T came up and it felt like destiny.

I've never drive a turbo Porsche before. Have test driven BWM and Audi's and just didn't like the lag feel, but those weren't fast enough to be exhilarating when the boost kicked in.

I love winding out the GT3 on the interstate just for the sound and love the linear feel in general, but like I originally mentioned, I'm looking for something completely different, otherwise I don't see the point in adding another car. Other car in the back of my mind would be a 599 GTB or possibly F12 just because a V12 Ferrari seems like it would be a special car/experience. That said, the general lack of issues, usability, and (relatively) lower maintenance costs had me leaning toward staying within Porsche for the next buy. Also, again, not looking for an investment, but a "store of value" like mchrono said, and it seems like V12 Ferrari's except for the more limited GTO, TDF, etc don't hold up well.

Earlierapex - thanks for the thoughts. i'm surprised you said it feels like a smaller car than the 991 GT3, i just figured the same rear width, but wider tires, and turbo engine would make it feel a bit bigger.

mchrono 04-16-2020 05:59 PM

.....The only thing I don't like about it is the now extremely dated infotainment system which was old and dated feeling when it was new. There's no bluetooth and the NAV looks like they borrowed it from 1986...

Agree and like Steve mentioned, there is an easy solution to this. All 997 PCM's are easy to swap out and replace with a modern, standard double-din entertainment system. When I bought my GT2, it already had a 2011-vintage system installed. Got all the original PCM gear so was not upset. Easy to re-install it all for 100% factory originality down the road. One of my COVID projects was to update it. Just installed a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. This gives us Wireless Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, Handsfree BT calling, automatic backup camera, etc. etc. Very easy to do and can even do a custom startup screen and wallpaper:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...466eb28125.jpg

Better yet, if there is some new automotive entertainment technology that comes out in a few years, easy enough to pull this one out and install the newest unit. Try doing that with any of the current generation cars! Some of the folks on the 997 forums are going a step further and installing full native android head units that integrate with the car's canbus like an OEM system.

Assuming you prefer manual over PDK, 5-lugs over centerlocks, and an engine you can actually see from the top, I think with an entertainment system upgrade and a tune, a 997 GT2 will leave you wanting for absolutely nothing.

ScottArizona 04-16-2020 07:36 PM

Will you guys please stop posting all this crap that is making me want to go out and spend my rainy day/covid safety net on a 997 gt2? By the way, what do these things pump out with just an exhaust, bmc filter, and tune? If I got one that's probably all I would do. Would a tuned 997.1 gt2 be able to hang with a .1 rs?

JG 996T 04-16-2020 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ScottArizona (Post 16553336)
Would a tuned 997.1 gt2 be able to hang with a .1 rs?

997.1 RS?
yes, no problem.

Steve Theodore 04-16-2020 10:07 PM

...Would a tuned 997.1 gt2 be able to hang with a .1 rs?

Bone stock my GT2 put down 490 rwhp on a Dynojet last summer. I have purchased a Cobb AP v3 for it but haven't applied the OTS tune yet as I want to do some Dragy datalogging yet for in gear acceleration before I flash it. I expect to pick up at least 30 rwhp even from the OTS tune, with more available if I get a custom tune. The GT2 is a beast and will run away and hide from a 997.1 GT3 RS in a straight line! From a handling standpoint things get a little more complicated, but the longer the straights, the more advantage goes to the GT2. It really is mostly a GT3 with boost after all. :)

mchrono 04-16-2020 11:01 PM

Will you guys please stop posting all this crap that is making me want to go out and spend my rainy day/covid safety net on a 997 gt2? By the way, what do these things pump out with just an exhaust, bmc filter, and tune? If I got one that's probably all I would do. Would a tuned 997.1 gt2 be able to hang with a .1 rs?

lol sorry! Filter I dont think will make a difference. Exhaust and tune you should be at 550-570 at the wheels. 997 rs makes what? 400-410 at the wheels? 991.1 RS 450-ish? As far as handling / keeping up at the track, closest is probably 997 GT3RS (widebody 997 GT platform). Anyway, not much that can keep up for a combo street/track car even now 12 years later.

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 16553707)
Bone stock my GT2 put down 490 rwhp on a Dynojet last summer. I have purchased a Cobb AP v3 for it but haven't applied the OTS tune yet as I want to do some Dragy datalogging yet for in gear acceleration before I flash it. I expect to pick up at least 30 rwhp even from the OTS tune, with more available if I get a custom tune. The GT2 is a beast and will run away and hide from a 997.1 GT3 RS in a straight line! From a handling standpoint things get a little more complicated, but the longer the straights, the more advantage goes to the GT2. It really is mostly a GT3 with boost after all. :)

Do a center bypass exhaust like the Sharkwerks at the same time you do the tune, because once tuned, the stock exhaust will be your bottleneck. Makes for a better sound and not too loud or obnoxious. Turbos and cats are all you need...no muffler required. Like you, I dont think I would want to do more than proven bolt-ons that do not permanently modify the car due to its rarity and collectibility, but its tempting seeing how much reliable power some of the 997TT guys are getting with built motors. For handling, there is no downside I have seen against the GT3's in the twisties :)

Edit: speaking of Sharkwerks, this is my actual car getting its coolant lines done in 2014 by previous owner:
https://www.sharkwerks.com/2008-whit...-pipes-amp-fix

TheSilverFox 04-16-2020 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 16550310)
IOn my actual birthday last year (April 2019) I took delivery of my 2008 GT2 and, with my wife happily in tow, we drove it about 2800 miles from Toronto, ON, Canada back to Seattle, WA, Along the way I became a registered importer at the border, got to drive in practically every road condition possible, and generally had one hell of a great time enjoying my new car with my best friend with me! We saw dry roads, wet roads, every fuel grade you can imagine, snowy roads, icy roads, and generally just had a big adventure together. I wouldn't trade any of it and the GT2 was such a wonderful car to make the trip in. We were both sad to finally get home as we truly enjoyed it as a life-long memory.

That's the way to pick up a VERY cool car, nice to someone happy to drive it!! I've driven cars home from Portland, Atlanta, NJ, Toronto, AZ and CA to Chicago. All memories I'll never forget, picked up a 993 in Toronto with then girlfriend and now wife and had a blast. Spent a week in MI on the way home. To me part of the hunt is the retrieval of said win.

Best to all, stay safe!

waizone 04-17-2020 01:58 AM

This is a video of a dot 2 gt2. What a beast

waizone 04-17-2020 02:02 AM

^^ Car is for sale on BAT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-gt2-rs-7/

JG 996T 04-17-2020 08:34 AM

997 GT2 RS is in a league of its own.

^ that car has an exhaust. Awesome 😎

TheKane 04-17-2020 10:53 AM

I'll try to keep this brief as my fingers hurt from hitting the 'like' button on all the other posts. Finally a GT2 post!

Rarity - I was lucky enough to purchase one of the 7 Canadian cars (now the 19th or 21st US car depending on who's numbers you believe). It's rare. I never even see 2008's on the road or track.

Driving Experience - While many here have more experience/cars than me, I think it's the most amazing car I've ever driven. Nothing comes close to the driving experience other than maybe a 997GT2RS (but I've never been in one).

Turbo vs Au Naturel - You can see my cars in my sig which are quite varied. I don't prescribe to either turbo/no turbo, but do have friends who refuse to consider one or the other. They are simply different experiences. Turbo lag...or the kick when they hit, is the reason I love my 996TT and the GT2.

TT or GT2? - Get both. Which TT? Here comes some heresy...... I've driven my 996TT, a 997TT, and a 991TT all back to back. As you progress through these cars you realize the changes with the engine shifting forward reducing the 911 "head bob", the over/understeer adjustments from the engineers, and the ever reducing turbo lag. All of those things technically make the car faster, and easier to drive fast, but also less exciting in my opinion. I had no interest in the 991 as a result, and stuck with the 996TT (modified) as my daily.

Insanity - This is why the GT2 simply amazes. It warps your view on what is normal. It is a beast on the track and backroads. 100 feels like 40. The GT2 is the essence of precision and then throws in a whole bunch of crazy. As the Jezza would say: POWAAAAAAAAH!

Clutch - It's stiffer than the 996GT2 cutch I have in my 996TT, but it's fine.

Interior - The interior of the 2009 with the upgraded PCM is the way to go but there aren't many that come available. The 987/997 interior is pretty timeless and worth it, but you might not want to trust me as I think the 996TT interior with the ovals is awesome.

Do it.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0344748451.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...61fb14fdfd.png

Steve Theodore 04-17-2020 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by TheKane (Post 16554674)
I'll try to keep this brief as my fingers hurt from hitting the 'like' button on all the other posts. Finally a GT2 post!

Rarity - I was lucky enough to purchase one of the 7 Canadian cars (now the 19th or 21st US car depending on who's numbers you believe). It's rare. I never even see 2008's on the road or track.

Driving Experience - While many here have more experience/cars than me, I think it's the most amazing car I've ever driven. Nothing comes close to the driving experience other than maybe a 997GT2RS (but I've never been in one).

Turbo vs Au Naturel - You can see my cars in my sig which are quite varied. I don't prescribe to either turbo/no turbo, but do have friends who refuse to consider one or the other. They are simply different experiences. Turbo lag...or the kick when they hit, is the reason I love my 996TT and the GT2.

TT or GT2? - Get both. Which TT? Here comes some heresy...... I've driven my 996TT, a 997TT, and a 991TT all back to back. As you progress through these cars you realize the changes with the engine shifting forward reducing the 911 "head bob", the over/understeer adjustments from the engineers, and the ever reducing turbo lag. All of those things technically make the car faster, and easier to drive fast, but also less exciting in my opinion. I had no interest in the 991 as a result, and stuck with the 996TT (modified) as my daily.

Insanity - This is why the GT2 simply amazes. It warps your view on what is normal. It is a beast on the track and backroads. 100 feels like 40. The GT2 is the essence of precision and then throws in a whole bunch of crazy. As the Jezza would say: POWAAAAAAAAH!

Clutch - It's stiffer than the 996GT2 cutch I have in my 996TT, but it's fine.

Interior - The interior of the 2009 with the upgraded PCM is the way to go but there aren't many that come available. The 987/997 interior is pretty timeless and worth it, but you might not want to trust me as I think the 996TT interior with the ovals is awesome.

Do it.

Your white 997.1 GT2 is glorious...thanks for coming by to share more photos! Like you, I always get excited to see more GT2 content in this section! :)

ScottArizona 04-17-2020 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 16553707)

Sorry guys, should have been more clear...my question was more directed to what it would take to make a 7.1 gt2 hang with a 7.1 gt2rs. Sounds like with a tune you can get close, at least in terms of engine power.

Steve Theodore 04-17-2020 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ScottArizona (Post 16555036)
Sorry guys, should have been more clear...my question was more directed to what it would take to make a 7.1 gt2 hang with a 7.1 gt2rs. Sounds like with a tune you can get close, at least in terms of engine power.

I'll be doing pretty much what you asked for with my car. I'd say adding GT2RS intercoolers, lightweight flywheel, and cranking up the boost via a tune and exhaust would get it done, or at least get you very close.

I believe the turbos may actually be different though, so for a real comparison you would likely need to upgrade those too, and I'm unclear if the fuel system is different. Where my car may be 85-90% of a GT2 RS experience, I plan to up that to around 95% with the modifications I'll be performing over time. If I ever decide to upgrade the turbos, I'm going to surpass GT2 RS levels as I will choose aftermarket units that are capable of a bit more.

*EDIT* I found a reference to mechanical differences over on another forum, and here is what was divulged (back in 2011), and I'm glad to see it's similar to what I posted above. Unclear on absolute accuracy of course. Here are those observations (not from me):

-the turbos are different and better - not sure how.
-think the pistons and fuel injection are the same - not for sure
-the suspension is using monoball joints instead of rose joints(eliminates any rubber) so much more stable chasis when turning and hitting any bumps, and improves turn in and feel, does not make ride harsher.
-the clutch is using a lighter fly wheel .
-the intercoolers are much better.

Steve Theodore 04-17-2020 01:12 PM

Here is a fun article from about 1.5 years ago speaking to why the 997.1 GT2 is a great potential 911 buy (I obviously followed these instructions well and did choose to buy!) :)

https://carbuzz.com/features/the-997...-talking-about

Z06 04-17-2020 02:37 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b275006543.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b03468c4ca.jpg

TB993tt 04-17-2020 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 1)

-the turbos are different and better - not sure how.

GT2RS turbos are exact same part number as regular GT2 ie they are the same, no difference :)

This is good it means GT2RS intercoolers, 200 cell cats and a bit more boost with a remap and you will get your 620PS..... My advice would be to get you tuner to go easy on the mid range torque, keep it around the 700NM mark or the extra boost in the lower revs will overwhelm the system and limit your peak power - despite what your 8 second dyne run might say ;)

BDCGT3 04-17-2020 04:15 PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread but in all likelihood I will be putting up my recently acquired pristine stock black 2008 GT2 up for sale [2,900+ miles], due in great part to ongoing issues with leg/foot neuropathy. Seek to recoup what I have into it. Will eventually put up a marketplace ad. Anyone who may be interested in it now can PM me. Thanks. Bruce

CT944 04-17-2020 04:20 PM

All this GT2 talk, sorry couldn’t resist posting a pic of my ‘08
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...eddb7261d.jpeg

atlrvr 04-17-2020 04:22 PM

Is that Dark Blue Metallic? Incredible. Would be my first choice, but looking back over the years see these are rare among the already rare. Thanks for sharing. All this is definitely pushing me in this direction.

osu s2k 04-17-2020 05:26 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6e66a0420.jpeg

mchrono 04-17-2020 05:31 PM

This is so great all us GT2 owners finally coming out to say hello!

Steve, if you are considering upgrading your intercoolers, I would bypass the GT2RS units and go with these instead. A lot of the hype for the RS intercoolers was back when the RS came out and there was not much else reasonably available in terms of .1 upgrades.

Watching that RS auction on BaT myself…will be interesting to see how it goes with the economy the way it is, but other than the smaller productions numbers, hard to justify the historic valuation differences between the .1 and the RS based on actual mechanical differences between the two cars. Carbon hood, ball joints, centerlocks (a negative IMHO), slightly wider 245 profile front tires, slightly better intercoolers...meh.

Cheers

Marc

TheKane 04-18-2020 05:42 AM

Thanks Steve!

To answer the poster's question on power: Getting more power into the GT2 is not a problem. I haven't had my car on the dyno and neither did the previous owner, but it feels well into the 600's. I really like to keep cars as close to stock as possible. My GT2 has bigger turbos, a tune (I actually had it re-tuned from the previous owner), an RS splitter, and Ohlins suspension. That's it. I actually like how the stock titanium exhaust looks and it keeps the noise to more than manageable. Yes it's not loud and angry and it mutes the engine, but not higher in the rev range. It's actually my quietest car. The bigger turbos are pretty loud, but in a good way and just simply hilarious.

Two more pictures....and a link to a walk-around video:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...88d389feff.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fed3d5c62d.jpg

Steve Theodore 04-18-2020 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by mchrono (Post 16555944)
... I would bypass the GT2RS units and go with these instead.

Thank you for the feedback Marc. Honestly I've never heard of that company (do88) before, but have to assume they are quite reputable?

mchrono 04-18-2020 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 16558266)
Thank you for the feedback Marc. Honestly I've never heard of that company (do88) before, but have to assume they are quite reputable?

The folks over on the 997 Turbo forum pretty much voted the do88 "big pack" (4.5" ICs, carbon shrouds, and bigger y-pipe) as the best bang for the buck:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...97-2-tt-3.html

They are far superior to the stock GT2RS IC's. Not overkill in my book. The way I see it, bigger IC's not only give you more power, but also extend the engine's longevity and reliability by just keeping everything cooler. Especially with our cars which have the really small .1 stock IC's from the factory. I have the d088's on my car. Was convinced to get them after doing a little data acquisition with my Durameteric and seeing how nuts the IAT goes out of control hot at full boost and how long it takes to recover. Blue line =RPM, Orange = IAT:
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2b83e74ff9.jpg
Very happy with do88. Good quality. Amazingly, only took 5 days to get to me from Sweden. You do have to trim the inside of your stock lower IC shroud a bit to install them, but if you are comfortable taking the rear bumper cover off, it's a pretty easy one person weekend DIY job to install them. Here is a shot of d088 vs stock in my garage.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...977a61860f.jpg
If you are running just a tune and exhaust, expect roughly +30 hp with the IC's and maybe another 10 with the bigger y-pipe, give or take.

bmw_e30 04-19-2020 01:52 AM

a challenge stradale is like 400hp and has the worst gearbox i've ever used lol

Jrtaylor9 04-19-2020 03:04 PM

CS definitely has an atrocious gearbox until it gets some momentum going; then it’s a hoot. Getting moving or coming to a stop, make sure you take motion sickness tabs. Once it’s moving at a nice clip, it’s one of the most entertaining toys I’ve ever owned. It’s a highly flawed car but a highly emotional bucket-list drive also imo. And those things typically go hand in hand. CGT (p-car water holy grail) is full of flaws but prob the top emotional crescendo of any p-car made. CS isn’t as good of a car by a long shot but its design philosophy is definitely a no-apologies goose-bump filled experience. And it is a clumsy, graceless pig of a vehicle at slow speeds :). Every car guy should own or drive one in fury at least once. I was lucky enough to flog mine around SS a couple of times; it was a riot.

back OT: if you like turbos and you like 911’s, I think 997 gt2/gt2rs are the water-pumpers to own. The 2rs isn’t really about the additional punch/pull; it’s about the improved everything else imo. I’ve owned a 997-2rs and driven a 2. The ownership experience helped reconfirm I’m just not a turbo guy, BUT I can appreciate how incredible they are and would be my top suggestion for anyone wanting the pinnacle of water-pumping turbo 911 experience.

IMI A 04-20-2020 03:31 AM

I still lust after GT2 13 years later. Very special car and under rated because she's quiet.

TurboS 04-21-2020 01:10 AM

I'm fortunate to have a GT 2 that I've tracked a lot at Mosport and other tracks, and after a 2 year hiatus decided that sitting on the sidelines was not very fulfilling.
I picked up a Mclaren 12C and without any modifications I was about 2 seconds per lap faster at Mosport than my best time in the GT 2. Post track alignment CF seat and an exhaust, another second.
These cars are astonishing!
Last year I made the mistake of test driving the 675 LT, that car blew my mind!! Post test drive I could not formulate a sentence......
12C is gone, GT2 and 675, doesn't get any better, IMHO.

Just based on the power and weight differential I should be about 1 second faster at Mosport in the LT. For those that have driven Mosport, please see attached video in the 12C behind a Mercedes Race Car.
12C on Trofeo R's.

Pictures: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#...8-6F4F7C9FFD0FVideo:

Enjoy!

Steve Theodore 04-21-2020 01:22 PM

Great stuff @TurboS , and that looks like a very fun track!

TurboS 04-22-2020 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 16565867)
Great stuff @TurboS , and that looks like a very fun track!

Thanks Steve!

Mosport is probably my second favourite track, Mont Tremblant first, but I have been told by many Watkins Glen is theirs.
The Glen was on the list this year unfortunately that may not happened as a result of this nightmare we are all living in.

For those considering the 675 LT, for perspective its almost as fast as the 720S. At a prior event I was behind one at the exit of turn 5,
In all my time at Mosport I have never seen a car pull away, it was as if I had a parachute deployed. Surreal!

Looking forward to some semblance of normality!

Steve Theodore 04-22-2020 11:01 AM

Those videos are amazing @TurboS , thanks for sharing them with us. That 720S did indeed run away and hide on the straight, and it makes me wonder what the Senna could do around the entire lap!

cgfen 04-22-2020 12:14 PM

I was recently re-reading an old Excellence magazine that tested the 7.1 GT2.
Some guy named johannes van overbeek said it was, "the best street car for the track that Porsche had ever made."
JVB has some knowledge base to draw from.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f7fd553692.png

Steve Theodore 04-22-2020 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by cgfen (Post 16568511)
I was recently re-reading an old Excellence magazine that tested the 7.1 GT2.
Some guy named johannes van overbeek said it was, "the best street car for the track that Porsche had ever made."
JVB has some knowledge base to draw from.

Oh my, I hope I can order that back issue! I never had that one and obviously need it. :)

JG 996T 04-22-2020 12:35 PM

Yeah that looks like a good read. ^

Not hard to see how a GT2 would best a 997.1 GT3 RS on track.

cgfen 04-22-2020 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 16568570)
Oh my, I hope I can order that back issue! I never had that one and obviously need it. :)

go onto the excellence site and look for back issue section.
Search for GT2, there are 2 or 3 you might want.

have fun.

Igooz 04-22-2020 04:21 PM

I have been a GT2 owner since 2003 with the 996 and then the 997; so after ~18 yrs. of owning both of these keepers I think they are just awesome cars. I am satisfied!
There are many faster cars out there but they are either not manual transmission or look like bat mobile to me; sorry... Long Live the 996 & 997 GT cars.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...100938918d.jpg

point2point 04-22-2020 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 16569282)
I have been a GT2 owner since 2003 with the 996 and then the 997; so after ~18 yrs. of owning both of these keepers I think they are just awesome cars. I am satisfied!
There are many faster cars out there but they are either not manual transmission or look like bat mobile to me; sorry... Long Live the 996 & 997 GT cars.

How do you compare the driving experience and performance of 996 vs. 997?

SaintGt2 04-23-2020 09:07 AM

I have both 996 and 997 GT2s. When I am asked what’s the difference, I say the 6 is an unguided missile and 7 is guided.

JG 996T 04-23-2020 10:46 AM

I test drove two different 996 GT2s when I had my 996 turbo. I could not go crazy on the ride, but those cars are special and pretty badass.

Steve Theodore 04-23-2020 11:22 AM

I'm guessing many of us had never even driven a GT2 before we actually owned one. That was certainly the case for me, and I bought it on faith that the total package would be at least equal to, if not greater than, the sum of it's considerable parts.

I was not disappointed, and I actually enjoyed the fact that I never got to drive one before I owned one as that took me back to younger days when I did the same for 'lesser' cars.

mchrono 04-23-2020 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by SaintGt2 (Post 16570779)
I have both 996 and 997 GT2s. When I am asked what’s the difference, I say the 6 is an unguided missile and 7 is guided.

This sounds right on the money. Ive never had a chance to drive a 996GT2 but took my 997 to the track earlier this year just as a one time thing to see what all the fuss was about. Many of the guys in the paddock were all like OMG, that's a widowmaker, you are going to die out there! I have to say I was happily surprised that the car handles like an absolute pussycat on the track. Very neutral with no surprises. After the second session, I had everything turned off except TC, which I decided to keep on just to save the rear tires coming out of a couple of the turns. Good problem to have in my book!

Igooz 04-23-2020 12:49 PM

996 feels a lot smaller and lighter than the 997 with a significantly lighter clutch. It also does not have the generational improvements in terms of Noise/Vibration/Buzz/Rattle/Squeaks. 996 with the smaller tire footprint, no traction control, and no VTG which means that turbos come on hard (Non linear) after a longer lag, so hang on! Not a fun track car.

point2point 04-26-2020 04:46 PM

I just read this track comparison between the 997 GT2 and C6 ZR1 by Johannes Van Overbeek.
https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...s/the-big-guns

Makes we want to buy a ZR1! He loved it on the track.

Steve Theodore 04-27-2020 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by point2point (Post 16579962)
I just read this track comparison between the 997 GT2 and C6 ZR1 by Johannes Van Overbeek.
https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...s/the-big-guns

Makes we want to buy a ZR1! He loved it on the track.

That was a great article and comparison indeed, but only makes me respect the 997 GT2 more. For a real comparison with the ZR1 I'd recommend putting it up against the GT2 RS as the GT2 is a pretty significant underdog when it comes to power and torque. However, I also realize they were contemporary competitors so the comparison does make sense. Thanks for the share!

To help commemorate one year of ownership of my own GT2 I went on a fun drive yesterday with my wife to a mountain town a couple hours away.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5f5275cfec.jpg
GT2 in Leavenworth

atlrvr 04-27-2020 02:33 PM

You were spotted/admired.....I've been stalking #997gt2 waiting for someone in the instaworld to muse putting one up for sale at a blow my mind price :jumper:

Steve Theodore 04-27-2020 02:34 PM

Haha, that is funny...but so glad that the GT2 was being properly admired by others. There was a yellow Cayman that parked near me, perhaps this was the driver of that car?

atlrvr 04-27-2020 02:37 PM

Yeah, must be. Looking at his feed, looks like your admirer drives a yellow 987 Cayman.

Looks great BTW!!!

Making me less patient :typing:

atlrvr 07-03-2020 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by atlrvr (Post 16547963)
Sorry for the troll-style title, but I mean it looking back with 12 years of new/go-fast cars, is there anything special about it, or was it simply a very fast car?

I ask, because I'm considering buying one after I spend months* of selective research to affirm whatever half-baked decision I come up with after seeing if the good people of Rennlist, and hopefully a few current or previous owners, opine here.

* ~6 months cause I have to relocate my driveway and build a new garage because my GT3T chin doesn't scrape with FAL up, but the rear diffuser does, and yes, I know to drop the FAL once I'm slightly on grade. Also... optimistically assuming prices will be slightly lower cause COVID etc, and buying cheaper is way better strategy than hoping to buy a car that will go up in value.

Asking for some additional help here from current owners. The architect is asking about grade issues......my house sits up relatively high above the street and so will need to really get the grade right, specifically the transfer on/off angles.

Can anyone tell me measurements between the tire contact and lowest point of the front chin (inches over versus height off the ground).....also rear diffuser height versus distance behind rear tire contact area.

Would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sun Ra 07-21-2020 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by SaintGt2 (Post 16570779)

Touché!!! Yes!!!!

TurboS 07-21-2020 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sun Ra (Post 16790140)
Touché!!! Yes!!!!

turn off all the traction control on the 997 GT2,
and watch what happens mid corner......

mchrono 07-22-2020 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by TurboS (Post 16790184)
turn off all the traction control on the 997 GT2,
and watch what happens mid corner......

That will depend on conditions and skill.
Cant speak for the 996, but the 997.1 GT2 is totally well behaved on the track. No surprises and ample power.
Turning everything off is a non issue however basic TC helpful to conserve rear tires on a colder day, but that's a good problem in my book!

Steve Theodore 07-22-2020 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by mchrono (Post 16791133)
That will depend on conditions and skill.
Cant speak for the 996, but the 997.1 GT2 is totally well behaved on the track. No surprises and ample power.
Turning everything off is a non issue however basic TC helpful to conserve rear tires on a colder day, but that's a good problem in my book!

I'm honestly surprised how little my TC does every come on, no matter what I do (on the street). I've noticed it light up the dash a few times, but it's a rare occurrence indeed. Same goes for my GT3 RS.

mchrono 07-22-2020 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 16791240)
I'm honestly surprised how little my TC does every come on, no matter what I do (on the street). I've noticed it light up the dash a few times, but it's a rare occurrence indeed. Same goes for my GT3 RS.

My experience as well. Very little if any TC coming on in any daily situation. Maybe a touch if you hit an undulation or bump in the road at WOT.
You just wont be able to transition onto WOT at the track like you can with the NA cars coming out of the turns on a cold day running exhaust, D088 IC’s, and a tune. That is the current limit of rear traction (at least on street tires) the way I’m set up, which seems about perfect. Enough power that you have to respect it at the limit, but not crazy too much. Feels about right!
Well engineered and properly set up and not a widowmaker unless the driver makes a mistake.

Is the 997.1 GT2 still a good car?
OMG, H*ll Yes!

f50nut 07-28-2020 06:27 PM

Let's keep this thread going. Here's a photo of mine I took last summer. It's one of the 16 Basalt cars for N.A. in 2008. Been slowly chipping away at these photos in my downtime stuck in quarantine. I'll post the rest soon.

For me, nothing really comes close to the 997 GT2. More power than you need. GT3 feeling with Turbo torque everywhere. Passing cars on the highway in any gear makes me laugh every time. Without all the carbon bits you get with the RS, to the untrained eye this car just looks like another Porsche. I love that about it. It's modern fast with all the feels missing from the new stuff.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...407f791209.jpg

Steve Theodore 07-28-2020 09:10 PM

Looking great @f50nut !

My high mileage 08 GT2 is also Basalt Black Metallic, so I'm with you my friend.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7b452e51ae.jpg

Johnb55 08-18-2020 09:09 AM

I bought my '08 997 GT2 CPO'ed from a dealer with 5,000 miles on it in 2013 and have enjoyed it ever since. It's basically been my fair-weather daily driver and just crossed 42,000 miles. I've had all types of sports cars and exotics and this is the best all-round car I've ever had. It's a real Jekyll-Hyde car. It can be a comfortable cruiser or an exhilarating beast! Shortly after getting it, I did an EVOMS tune. They said I should also get a new clutch while I'm at it because the stock clutch wouldn't handle the extra power. I was suspect and thought that was just marketing hype. It wasnt, the clutch immediately slipped under full boost in 4th gear. A Sachs single mass clutch and lightweight flywheel cured that. Subsequent additions have been 997 GT2RS intercoolers and a Guard diff. I've been racing for decades so it's no surprise it ended up on track for a track day or two where it proceeded to eat up race cars and cup cars on slicks with its painter tape numbers, license plate, and street tires (PSC2's). It's an extremely capable car. For kicks, I took it to a Dyno day barbecue party at a local car dealer and was actually shocked that it put down 617 rwhp on a nice cool day. I agree 997 GT2's are underrated. They're special, rare, and awesome!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...60cd7fe6e1.jpg

TB993tt 08-18-2020 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Johnb55 (Post 16851038)

I know it is a bit of fun but OMFG those 5 second "dyno pulls" just really grate on me, what exactly do they mean ? The numbers bear zero resemblance to a manufacturer engine dyno torque/power plot, I guess they for a bit of comparative amusement on a car day out ?

Steve Theodore 08-18-2020 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by TB993tt (Post 16851104)
I know it is a bit of fun but OMFG those 5 second "dyno pulls" just really grate on me, what exactly do they mean ? The numbers bear zero resemblance to a manufacturer engine dyno torque/power plot, I guess they for a bit of comparative amusement on a car day out ?

With most dynos, it calculates horsepower by how quickly the car can rotate the drum to the car's redline, and calculates HP for you. When you see a reasonably quick pull, as in the dyno video seen here, that is a powerful car. If a naturally aspirated 911 were on the rollers, you'd see the run would take longer to complete, and the resulting power would be less. Since enthusiasts don't have easy means to calculate horsepower on engine dynos (which OEMs generally do), the closest thing available to us are these types of dynos, and they help us to determine how much power our cars are making.

My own 2008 GT2 put down 490 whp on a DynoJet dyno in 2019 as a comparative reference point. To be sure this dyno here is different, but making over 600 rwhp on any dyno means that this GT2 is making a good amount of power over stock.

TB993tt 08-18-2020 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 16851292)
600 rwhp on any dyno means that this GT2 is making a good amount of power over stock.

It just means that this car can spin the drum up quickly in 5 seconds it doesn't tell you what the engine may do under full load in 6th gear on the road, whether or not your tune may actually be too aggressive and lead to big IATs and timing/boost pull when properly loaded resulting in actually less power than stock..... like I said they are a bit of good fun for comparing cars.

Steve Theodore 08-18-2020 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by TB993tt (Post 16851336)
It just means that this car can spin the drum up quickly in 5 seconds it doesn't tell you what the engine may do under full load in 6th gear on the road, whether or not your tune may actually be too aggressive and lead to big IATs and timing/boost pull when properly loaded resulting in actually less power than stock..... like I said they are a bit of good fun for comparing cars.

You're not wrong that the dyno often cannot replicate real world loading conditions, sure. But the point is if you put my stock GT2 on the same dyno it's going to take longer to spin the drum and will make less power than a modified example, and that's the main point of the dyno.

More advanced modern chassis dynos can replicate loading conditions better than the one seen in the video, but notingh would beat street tuning and track performance to gauge actual performance differences. Dynos are more than mere gimmicks, but just another tool for evaluating performance.

TB993tt 08-18-2020 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 16851346)
But the point is if you put my stock GT2 on the same dyno it's going to take longer to spin the drum and will make less power than a modified example, and that's the main point of the dyno.

But if the calibration is too aggressive for the engine's build it may show more power with low load on a 5 second spin up but when it's in 5th and 6th gear for 14 seconds climbing from 150mph to 190mph you may find that the ECU adjusts the timing and boost on the modified example so much that the cars have equal acceleration performance, seen this a few times on the runway.

Ignore me I'm just being a sourpuss, I know it's fun to compare car WHP on dynos :)

Steve Theodore 08-18-2020 12:09 PM

I don't think you're being a sour puss, and you're not wrong again. However, I tend to datalog everything in the real world, and Porsche leaves considerable margin for tuners so there is plenty of upside that you can achieve and hold onto with good modifications and tuning that does equate to real world performance you can feel and count on.

Steve Theodore 08-28-2020 11:59 PM

So what in the heck happened here?

https://www.classic.com/a/mecum-kiss...1-gt2-WxleLRW/

RapidGT 08-29-2020 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 16873993)

Car was at Mecum Kissimmee and something seemed off with the car. Had a 997 turbo air intake and not much info on it.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FA0820-44...rsche-911-gt2/

Steve Theodore 08-29-2020 05:36 PM

Solid points John, there are indeed some mysteries around that car and I guess the market did speak.

JG 996T 08-29-2020 06:57 PM

Mileage? Turbo intake is weird.

atlrvr 08-29-2020 07:05 PM

Looks like same car was bid to $170ish in Jan 2019 also at Mecum, and didn't meet reserve.

14k miles then, but still not much info on the car.

Steve Theodore 08-29-2020 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by atlrvr (Post 16875223)
Looks like same car was bid to $170ish in Jan 2019 also at Mecum, and didn't meet reserve.

14k miles then, but still not much info on the car.

That makes the story all the more bizarre if it was bid up to $170k 1.5 years ago and now traded hands for roughly $50k less.

Igooz 08-29-2020 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 16875531)
That makes the story all the more bizarre if it was bid up to $170k 1.5 years ago and now traded hands for roughly $50k less.

There was a Florida guy who had a similar 2008GT2 in Florida, and the car was a POS, as was the owner who was a scum and scammed a bunch of people out of money and then left the country. Around 2014/15. If I think really hard, I will remember the guys’ name. I wonder if this is that car cleaned up?

what did it sell for?

Steve Theodore 08-30-2020 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 16875543)
There was a Florida guy who had a similar 2008GT2 in Florida, and the car was a POS, as was the owner who was a scum and scammed a bunch of people out of money and then left the country. Around 2014/15. If I think really hard, I will remember the guys’ name. I wonder if this is that car cleaned up?

what did it sell for?

The one that just sold (which may be the same car) just sold for $120k. I don't know if it's the same car or owner, just found it mighty bizarre to find a 15k mile 2008 GT2 selling for $120k, which is an even better price than I paid in April of 2019 for a car with far greater miles on it.

mchrono 08-30-2020 07:26 PM

Car has to have major stories. If it was just a question of not enough bidders showing up to an in-person auction, then $120 would not have met reserve, as its not even in the ballpark for a clean example. The last 997 GT2 on BaT a week or two ago had dealers bidding up to $170-ish if memory serves. Were none of them at Mecum?

atlrvr 10-26-2020 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by atlrvr (Post 16547963)

Background:

1) I always make perfectly rational irrational decisions. My 2 current daily drivers are a 991.2 GT3 Touring and a 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser. Perfect for most occasions, and can always borrow the wife's Audi A7 when real practicality becomes necessary. I don't ever really think about selling cars. Prefer to assume I'll buy forever and if I don't, so be it.

2) I want a car that would be unique enough to not simply be an alternative to the GT3T. It should bring a smile to my face for its own strengths. I find absurdity a strength, fwiw. Car probably doesn't need to be daily driver, but it should be uniquely exciting enough that I would want to just go drive it a few times a month just because it brings a smile.

So, would love to hear that view affirmed from a previous owner, or conversely someone that plans to keep one as a dead man's car tell what makes it awesome.

If you bothered to read all this and conclude I talked myself out of one, you might be right, but definitely can be talked into being impulsive.

O.P. here....well...

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2ceab150ef.jpg

Picked this up Saturday in Houston and drove it back home to Charlotte on a ~1,100 mile drive.

I wasn't necessarily ready to pull the trigger, but I knew I would only be happy a completely stock/non-modded car in Speed Yellow and black wheels, so with only 5-6 cars or so that fit that criteria, I closed my eyes and pulled the trigger.

Couple of thoughts:

1) It is nothing at all like my 991 GT3 Touring.....other than recognizing the exterior as "911's" they way they go about both driving fast and driving slow are completely different. This is a good thing, as I was looking for a completely different experience.
2) Whoa, that torque. I've never driving a turbo performance car. It's so mesmerizing to be driving uphill on a interstate at 80 mph in 6th gear, and just push the gas down and it just move so effortlessly and overtake anything in its path.
3) That rear wing, holy $**t. My wife rode with me (which seemed like a good idea, and would have been if it had been 6 hour days instead of 10+) but she wanted to know what was the most different from the GT3T, and a VERY close second to the way they deliver power, is the enormous weight on the rear. I just kept describing it as feels like a giant is riding on the rear of the car. Plus, I'll never get tired of seeing it out the rear view or side view mirrors....it's so ridiculously awesome to look at.
4) The front end feels very light on the highway, but once I took it into the tight turns of Tail of the Dragon (Route 129 on the TN/NC border), it has no problems at all with turn in, from tight switchbacks to fast sweepers. The car immediately felt much much smaller.
5) Reading the thread of differences in body tub (or lack thereof) between GT2 and a 997 Turbo, made me nervous it would feel very heavy/refined. It's not! I don't know if I'd say its a LOT rawer than a 991 GT3, but man, you feel everything all the time.

Anyway, there are always professional photogs set up on Tail of the Dragon, and I reviewed some proofs and ordered my 2 favorites in hi-res that I'll post in the next day or so.

Also, I'd like to especially thank:

@JWrightPNH - John helped me source the car out of California, got it shipped to Porsche North Houston and got it fully serviced, XPEL wrapped, and all sorted out for me on some minor maintenance. PNH had sold the car twice before, so their knowledge on it's history was invaluable.

@jgorscak - Was a previous owner of this car earlier in it's life, and can't thank him enough for the transparency on what he knew about the history of the car. Again, buying a car sight on unseen, was a big leap of faith.

@Steve Theodore - Thanks for your tireless energy contributing here, enthusiasm for the cars, and answering so many questions. You definitely receive huge credit helping me get a better perspective of what I was getting into, and I'm sure have helped many others on a variety of topics.

A couple more pics!

Top of Tail of the Dragon (I ran it west to east) Also, bummer that there was a Rennsport Dragon Rally, that I missed running into them, but I got there later in the day than those guys.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c1e7e4bd02.jpg

Everyone needs dinner after a big day of exercise!
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ade61f29ac.jpg

Steve Theodore 10-26-2020 01:21 PM

As you now know for yourself @atlrvr there are no disappointments when it comes to the driving dynamics of the 997.1 GT2, and I absolutely love hearing about the thoughts of a newly minted owner. Huge congratulations to you on your purchase and making the best decision possible to DRIVE your GT2 home. I'm sure the memories you made will last a lifetime, and it looks like a truly amazing drive and an incredible example you found.

This reminds me I should do a proper recap of my recent 2300 mile drive from Seattle area to Las Vegas and back from earlier this month, and I appreciate the motivation! :)

mchrono 10-26-2020 01:28 PM

Huge congratulations and welcome to the club! Its been about 6 months and looks like all your research and planning paid off big time. Beautiful GT2! And big thumbs up....like Steve and I you drove it cross country to bring it home. Gotta live life my friend!

ScottArizona 10-26-2020 01:46 PM

Holy crap. Dream spec. Congrats. That's a dead man's car if I ever saw one: rare, fast, fun, reliable, and tunable (if you ever get bored or "need" a couple hundred more hp!).

mchrono 10-26-2020 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ScottArizona (Post 16987726)
........and tunable (if you ever get bored or "need" a couple hundred more hp!).

Just throwing this out there!

https://www.bydesignauto.com/collect...ant=4216617157
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...01158e393d.png
Yes, I am a troublemaker! :)

9872SpeedYellowCS 10-26-2020 02:17 PM

Congrats, killer spec

JG 996T 10-26-2020 06:56 PM

Awesome pickup. + epic drive home

(I flew to pick up my RS and drove home)

nle 10-27-2020 01:08 AM

Best color on the gt2 IMO! Congrats

atlrvr 10-27-2020 02:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, and love to hear others having long get-to-know-you first drives as well, and @Steve Theodore definitely want to hear about that Vegas trip....that's a lot of different environments you covered!

Got both TotD photos back this morning, so thanks to 129photos.com and killboy.com for the quick turnaround. (browsing their sites for proofs on any weekend is a great way to waste hours finding some unicorn cars, and some crazy wraps, in great scenery.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...52717f4050.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c0595d34ae.jpg

Igooz 10-27-2020 03:24 PM

atlrvr, congratulations on an amazing car and in my favorite SY. That color is such a nice and warm yellow. :thumbup: I am happy to see good and new people appreciating and buying into GT2s.
Earlier this year I decided to retire by YE and intend to sell all cars that I have been hoarding and buy a track car. I hope that all my GT2s go to enthusiasts like you guys on this forum.

jgorscak 10-27-2020 03:47 PM

Atlrvr,

Congrats on getting a great car! Your going to really enjoy it. Seeing your pics posted brings a tear to my eye. I miss her even more now!! LOL

Seriously, you got a great car and I'm glad you pulled the trigger. Enjoy in good health

Igooz, what are you selling?

Steve Theodore 10-28-2020 11:31 AM

@atlrvr your new GT2 looks sensational my friend...really love the pro photos you shared with us! I'll prepare a write up of my Las Vegas trip soon to ensure we have more GT2 content around here, and I actually have a sensational GT3 RS write-up coming for this section too!

Hardback 10-30-2020 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 16875543)

what did it sell for?

Igooz, I know the guy you are referring to. He used to visit Sebring quite a bit. He owned an atlas grey GT2 so it cannot be same car. That was the only atlas grey GT2 I've come across.

atlrvr 11-05-2020 05:39 PM

So, I daily drove the new GT2 for about a week and a half (just switched back to 991.2 GT3 to make sure she still felt loved)

GT2 is much easier to drive around town (except no FAL is a specific challenge). Low end torque is a breeze. The car feels fast when you want it to, but doesn't demand to be driven fast.

I hopped from the GT2 to GT3 the other night, and almost couldn't drive the GT3. (First time driving them back to back within a few mins of each other) Everything so was light and boosted in comparison (which I hadn't really noticed before.

You realize the 991.2 is a bigger car, especially city driving. I can whip the 997.1 around tighter 90' turns. The rear-wheel steering on the newer GT3 helps, but the car still feels a bit big to make those 90' turns comfortably staying in lane.

The GT3 also demands that you drive the car faster (which isn't great for neighborhoods/city streets). Both the engine sound begging you to rev (and the valves opening at 4k helps), but also, the car just isn't happy under 3k RPM, means you're always pushing it more.

Visually, I haven't decided on a favorite. I do like the 991 shape a bit more than the 997 generically, and the Touring having the classic 911 silhouette combined with the incredible engine of the 991.2 GT3 is perfection, but the rear wing and air inlets as well as the lower lourered panels next to the exhaust, the rear of the GT2 I just can't stop staring at.

The GT2 gets much more attention, from people circling it in parking lots as well as people wanting to antagonize it on the road, while the Touring is mostly under the radar all the time, though a lot of that is probably color :atwhore: (and a big friggin' wing)

Steve Theodore 11-05-2020 06:07 PM

It's really fun to hear the thoughts of a new 997.1 GT2 owner! Although I cannot compare mine specifically to a 991.2 GT3, I do feel somewhat similarly about the comparison to my own 997.2 GT3 RS. But my 3RS is also my favorite car of all time!

mchrono 11-06-2020 03:34 PM

I tried really hard to the like the 991. Dont want to sound like im bashing it…..its a great car in its own way, but I have to say I had no skin in the game in the 997 vs 991 debate last year when I was for several months cross-shopping the 997 GT2, 991.1 GT3RS, and 991.2 GT3, which were at that time all in the same approximate price range.

And the winner was

HDA 11-19-2020 11:44 AM

If I ever get 997, it's going to be a GT2

atlrvr 11-19-2020 12:10 PM

Did a 600 mile weekend trip up to Raleigh for a soccer tournament with my son and took the GT3T.....have lightweight buckets in both, but the 991 seats are so much more comfortable for longer drives (though harder to get in and out of which makes it annoying as a daily driver)....I also, really appreciate the exhaust note as you wind it out, and wide-open roads between Charlotte and Raleigh gives lots of opportunities to indulge in the N/A scream. Lastly, going to a place where I had no idea about parking lot (speed bumps and steep curb cuts) having the FAL makes me much less paranoid about what I might encounter.

That said, I swapped back right when I got home....not sure if it's still the relative newness of the 997 GT2, but at the moment, I feel more excited to drive it. Aside from the seats (which aren't a big deal for drives less than an hour) and no FAL, both of which are pretty minor as far as enjoyment in my opinion, it's the perfect car except for the exhaust sound....it's like an angry vacuum cleaner. Combining the exhaust note of a GT3 with everything else of the GT2 would be perfection.....now, an obvious response is that's almost exactly what an 997.2 GT3 RS is, but I'm really enjoying shifting to make the engine drop to 2,200 RPM on the upshift, and then roll onto the power and just feel it launch at 2,500 RPM....it's endless enjoyment feeling that boost.

mchrono 11-19-2020 04:33 PM

Oh, we can definitely help you fix the exhaust sound. Add a tune and a few more choice bolt-ons, and you will have a car that feels a little bit like it wants to kill you...I can pretty much guarantee it will forever remain more exciting than the GT3T!

ScottArizona 11-20-2020 06:14 PM

Ok, I must say, I love these 997 gt2’s to death (to the point of saying I’m 95% sure I’ll own one some day), but that clip above does sound just like an angry vacuum cleaner lol (and that’s ok, it’s sounds amazing but nothing like a modded 997.1 or 997.2 gt3! That’s perfection!)

Steve Theodore 11-20-2020 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by ScottArizona (Post 17039506)
Ok, I must say, I love these 997 gt2’s to death (to the point of saying I’m 95% sure I’ll own one some day), but that clip above does sound just like an angry vacuum cleaner lol (and that’s ok, it’s sounds amazing but nothing like a modded 997.1 or 997.2! That’s perfection!)

To every poor soul who has ever asked "How do I make my Turbo/GT2 sound like a GT3?" the answer has always been "Buy a GT3!" :)

TB993tt 11-21-2020 09:25 AM

The Kline inconnel X pipe system has a unique and exotic sound, check out the promo vid below, the exhaust sounds are at the end of the vid.

I had one made for my engine, little crappy clip below but it was very zingy and really bellowed tunefully at high revs, completely different from anything else I've ever heard on one of these cars.

It didn't ultimately work for me as I had a subtle resonance which I couldn't live with but I think this was to do with my quite different engine config. Also it didn't flow enough for my engine although I'm sure it would be fine for sub 700hp applications, mine needs valved straight out at WOT to work right and it doesn't sound like a GT3, :)

mchrono 11-21-2020 11:07 AM

And conversely, you cant make a GT3 sound like a GT2.

Going full crazy on the GT2 exhaust:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2cf66e6467.jpg

You can hear all the sounds the GT2 makes:

Steve Theodore 11-21-2020 02:12 PM

I've heard the Kline Inconel exhaust locally on a built GT2 and it definitely kicked up the aggression level a bit compared to the stock Akrapovic exhaust, but certainly nowhere near sounding like a GT3. I did like what I heard though, and had a low speed ride in the car which I also thought was great. What I cannot tell you is whether or not it droned as I didn't get to experience it on the highway, but the owner seemed at least a bit displeased with it overall.

Jagged155 12-15-2020 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by BDCGT3 (Post 16555708)
I don't mean to hijack this thread but in all likelihood I will be putting up my recently acquired pristine stock black 2008 GT2 up for sale [2,900+ miles], due in great part to ongoing issues with leg/foot neuropathy. Seek to recoup what I have into it. Will eventually put up a marketplace ad. Anyone who may be interested in it now can PM me. Thanks. Bruce

PM’d

Steve Theodore 12-22-2020 02:22 PM

Although I know it's a 997.2 GT2 RS, whereas we're discussing 997.1 GT2s here, the comments are completely relevant to my own ownership experience. Here you can see Matt Farah commenting on the experience after being invited by Matt Farah to drive some of the 'greatest hits' of the Porsche Museum:

f50nut 01-05-2021 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore (Post 17040870)
I've heard the Kline Inconel exhaust locally on a built GT2 and it definitely kicked up the aggression level a bit compared to the stock Akrapovic exhaust, but certainly nowhere near sounding like a GT3. I did like what I heard though, and had a low speed ride in the car which I also thought was great. What I cannot tell you is whether or not it droned as I didn't get to experience it on the highway, but the owner seemed at least a bit displeased with it overall.

I'm running a full Kline Inconel exhaust on my GT2, headers and all. Zero drone. It sounds a lot like TB993tt's silver car.

I was a bit disappointed at first, because out of the box it doesn't really have the high pitched wail that Kline's video suggests. A few heat cycles in, and it's sounding a lot better. Not like their promo vid, but 10 times better than the stock exhaust, which to my ear, sounded like a Shop Vac.

Fdude 06-07-2021 09:24 PM

Wanted to post this review of the 997 gt2. Hopefully it gives a glimpse of how great the Gt2 really is.

Steve Theodore 06-08-2021 03:45 PM

That was a great review video, and I echo with the sentiments shared within! These 997.1 GT2s are timeless cars, and are only going to appreciate over time IMHO. They are for the ages!

atlrvr 02-16-2023 09:35 AM

Pulling this thread back to the front....have been almost exclusively driving my 991.2 GT3T for the last few months as I can only keep 1 car at my house until my new garage wraps up in a few months, and I put PS4S tires on the GT3 and left SC2's on the GT2 (so winter, and all that). The GT3 has been at the dealer getting service, new windshield and a few other things this week so have been driving the the GT2 to the office all week (~15 mile reverse commute almost entirely on interstate with limited traffic).

Every time I get back in the GT2 after not driving it for a few weeks it surprises me all over again. How light and how raw it feels. Also, the turbo boost never gets old. It's definitely the more enjoyable of the two cars, just because it feels faster at lower speeds. The GT3T is an incredible car, but only because it gets better the harder you push it. It's actually not that fun at all just "driving" (though it is more modern and usable as a "daily") The Gt2 is a blast really under any condition (that doesn't require navigating a parking lot with steep curbs, speed bumps, or potholes).

Just felt inspired to chime back in as the OP on this thread.

JG 996T 02-16-2023 11:51 AM

Nice - 65 degree "winter" weather up here in NJ, must be spring-like down there.

would love to add a 997 GT2. need another garage lol

mchrono 02-16-2023 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by JG 996T (Post 18634931)
....would love to add a 997 GT2. need another garage lol

We only had one garage spot left at our place when we went out hunting for a GT car a few years ago. Naturally, that hunt was initially focusing on a few different flavors of GT3. Every time we took one out on the street, it just was not a completely fulfilling experience. No violent torque and pushing you back in your seat like the Turbo which is just too insulating and dumbed down as far as a driver’s car and would not be so much fun at the track. What choice is there left to make in that situation??

the GT2