Sponsored by:

Best Intercooler Upgrade for 997.2 TT

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:38 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A418t81
You simply are lost on how that single variable plays in. Re-read my statement on how pressure drop is part of how an intercooler works. A straight pipe would have the least amount of pressure drop and be worthless. The entire intercooler and plumbing system flows 15% more air at the same pressure drop of the factory system, while providing significantly increased cooling capability as well.

The factory intercoolers can't flow 1000+ whp worth of air. AIM has the Do88 on their 1000+ whp 6MT car and sets records at nearly 160 mph in the quarter mile. The Do88 system flows the same MAF values on my car at 20-21 psi (450-455 g/s) as was I hitting with my factory plumbing and 997.2 intercoolers at 23-24 psi previously.

You said there was no flow data for the 997.2 available, period....and then you hoped I would post that graph that has 997.2 flow data all over it? Keep on going

Big swole, I made 660 whp on the factory turbos and E85 with my 997.2 intercoolers. They are fine for a 2, or 3 gear pull for around 8-10 seconds max, and then IATs destabilize and start increasing rapidly. I would say depending on your usage, the factory cores are pretty decent for a street car not looking to exceed 100 mph very frequently, or doing any track work. They are light weight, so they recover temps back down pretty quickly too.
Your understanding of thermal dynamics is entertaining and your explanation clouds the process of reality. Most everything you have said in this thread, starting with Adam’s old car (997.2TTS) not hitting 9’s in the 1/4 has been wrong... Based on the subject of this thread, the OP asks for recommendations for a 997.2 car. Your points (assuming any of them are true and accurate about your 997.1) mean little.

Saying that a bigger ic is better isn’t always true. A bigger core has the problem of absorbing heat. The biggest issue I’ve heard about with the larger cores (even from the reputable brands) is they act like heat sinks.

I also liked how you said the 997.2 ic’s are light weight and because of that, cool down faster. So according to your theory, any ic with *heavier* aluminum endtanks won’t cool down as fast as one with plastic end tanks? (since aluminum is heavier than plastic) You really dont have the slightest clue of how this process works...

The efficiency of an ic is a function of how much air flow is coming through the front of the core. Having a larger surface area can be a good thing but there are other, more important factors. Like pressure drop, which is based on internal air flow and velocity. Things like rough surface area and sharp bends add to pressure drop. And to clarify, we are talking flow from boost pressure from your turbos. If your turbos are pushing 30 psi and your boost gauge reads 27 psi, that represents a 3 psi pressure drop. So when you reference a car hitting 1000 hp with upgraded turbos that means nothing about how good the ic’s are. Those car could have a 15 psi drop in pressure and amazing turbos...

Since you would like me to continue. I’m sure the rough end tanks and the poor fitting cores mean they are efficient and have low pressure drops? Imagine how rough the internal design is when the exterior looks like that? And the worm clamps, zip ties and flimsy rubber hoses.

I never said one couldn’t make power with these ic’s. In fact, I said they are a good product for those on a budget. But if you want to maximize efficiency/power they are not the best option.

Last edited by Whosdady; 06-25-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:49 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
Also, I feel that I have to speak up against someone trying to discredit a manufacturer just because they are a small Swedish company. That's just cheap retorics. Other examples of small automotive companies making excellent products are Öhlins and Koenigsegg (which by the way uses DO88 products). Better to just stick with relevant facts when trying to argue for/against a product.
Cheers
I apologize if that was offensive to you. My point was that they make products for several manufacturers (Volvo and Saab were two I mentioned) and for non race/general applications. Being a small company does not matter, nor being Swedish. (I listed those two characteristics as a matter of fact) But warranty, distribution and customer service pose a potential problem based on ones location. Not to mention Porsche specific knowledge.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:34 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
I have made datalogs during all these years I've had this car. Unfortunately direct comparison/performance calculations with 997.2 and do88 ICs is not possible because the car has evolved a lot: different IC intake /scoop configuration, different body style (body width, bigger wing and underbody aero), different gearing and wheel diameters etc. BUT some lines can be drawn still.
In autumn 2013 I did a 100-315 kmh pull, last week I did a 100-265 kmh pull. Just to 265, I run out of space on Autobahn... Anyway, I picked some comparable data out of those pulls:
Year: 2013 / 2018
OAT: +13C / +22C
Speed: 100-265 kmh
IAT start: +25C dropping to +22C / +25C dropping to +24C
IAT end: +46C / +41C
delta T: 24C / 17C
Boost: 1.3bar / 1.0bar

I would have liked to continue over 300, just to see if do88 IC behave like OEMs and start to stabilize the max temp (+48C) above 285 kmh. I'd like to see someone elses pulls too, just to compare my stuff to more OEM ones.

What come to someone's claims to do88's inferior quality, I just have to say that opinions are like, well, you know...everyone has his/hers own. But, I was rather frustrated to exploding plastic end tanks and out popping OEM boost hoses. I have tracked my car this spring a lot, including a day at Nordschleife without any problems with boost hoses or clamps. They fit well, the Y-pipe like OEM and much better than the IPD I had. Quality of welds...weld is good when it's penetration is adequate and it holds forces it's designed to hold. Straightness of the seam does really have nothing to do with that, just like polishing that's just for bragging. I have my car for track use, I want my parts work, looks is secondary. Or stellar price. Cars and coffee then...
Finally, someone with a 997.2 speaks out about his experience with Do88... It’s clear you’re happy with your choice. It sounds like tight welds, polishing, T bolt clamps and thick rubber rubber hoses are less important to you. You didn’t mention the gap between the fins and end tanks I highlighted previously? Are you happy with that too? You must admit these items show a level of lower quality while other options don’t cut those corners.

Regardless of the other modifications, it sounds like the do88’s have improved the overall performance of your car. It seems I can not say this enough in this thread. The Do88 kit is the best bang for the buck...

Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 PM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whosdady

I apologize if that was offensive to you. My point was that they make products for several manufacturers (Volvo and Saab were two I mentioned) and for non race/general applications. Being a small company does not matter, nor being Swedish. (I listed those two characteristics as a matter of fact) But warranty, distribution and customer service pose a potential problem based on ones location. Not to mention Porsche specific knowledge.

Not offended at all, don't have any affiliations what so ever with the company. I think these discussions are great and give us consumers real life experiences on the products and enable us to make informed choices. I just think we should try to maximize the use of relevant facts so as not to dilute the subject matter.

Regarding your last statement: based on posts on the forums the delivery time and consumer service of the company seem to be impeccable. Also, I'm not sure if vast Porsche specific knowledge is really a requirement for making good IC systems (not saying they don't have lots of Porsche knowledge which they very well could have. Stockholm actually used to have most P-cars per person than any other city in the world ). Their inlet pipes seem to have worked out fine.

Last edited by El Dario Loco; 06-25-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:09 PM
DocHW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got these 997.2 IC’s in Germany with custom clamps. According to the knowledgeable guys on the german forums these won’t leak up to 2 bar.

[img]https://imageshack.com/a/img922/1804/TJDWAQ.png[/img]
Old 06-25-2018, 04:15 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
Not offended at all, don't have any affiliations what so ever with the company. I think these discussions are great and give us consumers real life experiences on the products and enable us to make informed choices. I just think we should try to maximize the use of relevant facts so as not to dilute the subject matter.

Regarding your last statement: based on posts on the forums the delivery time and consumer service of the company seem to be impeccable. Also, I'm not sure if vast Porsche specific knowledge is really a requirement for making good IC systems (not saying they don't have lots of Porsche knowledge which they very well could have. Stockholm actually used to have most P-cars per person than any other city in the world ). Their inlet pipes seem to have worked out fine.
I’m glad you took my points in the manner they were intended. This is a forum where all issues should be discussed. Obviously we all will have our own opinions...

It’s good to know about your experience with their distribution and customer service. With regard to Porsche knowledge/experience. That was mainly directed to fitment and quality. Most Porsche owners are a little ocd. At least compared to the last platform I was on. (BMW)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHW
I got these 997.2 IC’s in Germany with custom clamps. According to the knowledgeable guys on the german forums these won’t leak up to 2 bar.

[img]https://imageshack.com/a/img922/1804/TJDWAQ.png
Can you give us more details on these?
Old 06-27-2018, 10:45 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Can you give us more details on these?
Looks like some stainless steel bent to make some clips. Could be some c-channel cut down. Should have the 997 apart this week to do plugs, I can take some measurements if folks would like to make some up.

Granted I am sure Kevin might beat me to it as I am sure he must have a set kicking around on a desk
Old 06-27-2018, 03:16 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

At Kevin from UMW's recommendation, I went with the original Porsche 997.2TT/GT2RS coolers. For an exhaust / tune car, you will never beat the price / performance ratio of the OE coolers. I paid about $1800 CAD for the pair of them, right from the Porsche parts counter at my local dealer and got them next day with no shipping charges.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:59 PM
DocHW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don’t know what kind of clips they are. I’m running a mild tune from Kevin, so I would also be OK without the clips.
You can do a search on the german pff.de forum. I got them from user “Ollisal”, nice guy.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:29 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rokitmn69
The car is stone stock. I want to upgrade the power without extensive rework. An intercooler upgrade would be part of the package- exhaust, ECM reprogram, and air filter. After looking at the available kits for intercooler upgrades, I just couldn't discriminate among them which was best. I was hoping there'd be a consensus on the best intercooler upgrade. No, I don't track the car. I'm more of a quarter mile guy, looking for the highest dependable horsepower for this daily driver. I wouldn't say money is no object, but if the intercooler upgrade is worth at least 15 hp, I've seen the prices- I'm in.
water meth. Don't even bother spending money, there are no intercoolers better than the oem ones, that are worth the money. Seriously, there are some obsessive people here on rennlist and 6speed that tested the ****e of everything vs oem and most was daylight robberies on taiwanese crap others just heat soaked, others just didn't reduce IATS as well as oem.

so do the plastic intercooler mod, given that they are prone to crack and see how good are your fins, if they are good, don't bother, if not, just get new ones. If you really want to burn your money, get do88 full kit. But meth is where the power is, exhaust, intake, meth and you are set.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:50 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Bumping this since it's been a while.

Cobb doesn't recommend using a stg. 3 tune (which seems quite a bit more hp than the stg. 2) without aftermarket IC's.
Is this a marketing thing or since some here swear by the Stock 997.2TT IC's, can the stg. 3 tune be run for short burst / 1/4 mile passes with Stock IC's and not cause any heat issues?

Just got my Cobb AP and running the stg. 2 - 93 oct. tune. A custom tune will come next once I get some seat time with this thing. Also just bought the PDK tune but haven't loaded / driven it yet.

For my use, I just can see spending major IC money if I can get away with short burst / one pass at a time with my Stock IC's.

BTW, Thanks to everyone contributing to helping folks like me learn these cars!!!

David
Old 11-25-2018, 03:22 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I wouldn't bother tbh - the .2 coolers are apparently very good so going bigger isn't likely to return much.
Ditto and correct. There are other upgrades that should be considered long before IC's. my 2bits
Old 11-25-2018, 03:29 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.Forever
Ditto and correct. There are other upgrades that should be considered long before IC's. my 2bits

That list includes???

Old 11-25-2018, 07:12 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Big Swole
That list includes???
Hey Big Swole, I was referring to the simple basics: exhaust and a tune. If your gig is to track or strip the car then fine, research all the power adder upgrades if this is your hobby. If your gig is superficial, then a body kit or parts thereof might work and might even include some interior mods. For a daily driver or weekend driver, much beyond the low dollar performance upgrades is arguably moot, and there is a law of diminishing returns. If you are looking for a hot rod, there are numerous other options that don't denigrate the value of your 997. Each to their own, and I do recognize this is the 997 TT Technical forum where we leave no stone unturned. We all glean a ton of invaluable technical information from these dialogues which is the result of years of testing, experiences and unfettered sharing. The value herein is obvious. No insult to anyone here intended.
Just MHO...

Quick Reply: Best Intercooler Upgrade for 997.2 TT