Originally Posted by mooty
we all know you are beyond hope.
I am right behind you. you pay the deductible for my shrink thx
you have a deal. Take me to lunch (I've seen what you eat), we'll call it even
Old 04-20-2020, 12:40 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

So I drove the Speedster all weekend, it's really a terrific "driver"...took the wife for a pleasant cruise...turned off the loud exhaust and rev matching...and it was for lack of a better word "delightful"...then took each of my kids for a ride where I kept the revs in the fun band and it was a freakin' blast without pot holes breaking your back.

Perfect combo...4.0 for the sheer thrill of the absolute best ever 911 for drivers...and the speedster to drop the top and cruise and still have a top notch 911 experience. That said, I'd never trade the 4.0 for the speedster but I can see me putting a lot of miles on it.
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (04-22-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 11:08 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,495 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Man
you have a deal. Take me to lunch (I've seen what you eat), we'll call it even
u let me know when you in town

Originally Posted by raclaims
So I drove the Speedster all weekend, it's really a terrific "driver"...took the wife for a pleasant cruise...turned off the loud exhaust and rev matching...and it was for lack of a better word "delightful"...then took each of my kids for a ride where I kept the revs in the fun band and it was a freakin' blast without pot holes breaking your back.

Perfect combo...4.0 for the sheer thrill of the absolute best ever 911 for drivers...and the speedster to drop the top and cruise and still have a top notch 911 experience. That said, I'd never trade the 4.0 for the speedster but I can see me putting a lot of miles on it.
yes need 997 and 991. very different

Old 04-21-2020, 08:44 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u let me know when you in town

yes need 997 and 991. very different
you NEED 997, 991 is nice to have ;-)
Old 04-21-2020, 02:48 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 139 Posts

Any Speedster pics?

And while you're at it, how about a pic of your garage with that fabulous collection?
jimmyrepasi (04-21-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 11:51 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Here you go

The following 2 users liked this post by raclaims:
EMpunker (04-22-2020), Finlander (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 03:19 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Here you go

Interesting how they did the top on this one, kind of like the Boxster Spyder.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:22 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

I can tell you I'm really impressed with the fit of the top. I don't feel claustrophobic in the cockpit at all, I have great visibility and no noise or rattles or wind.

The absurd amount of work you have to do to open and close it on a car of this price point is another story...freakin thing costs as much as my performante spyder and the top does all sorts of magic on that one with the touch of a button!

I get it that perhaps it's supposed to be part of the "fun" of a speedster...but to me there is retro and then there is a PITA...this leans to the later.
pissedpuppy (04-23-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 03:32 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

I can tell you I'm really impressed with the fit of the top. I don't feel claustrophobic in the cockpit at all, I have great visibility and no noise or rattles or wind.

The absurd amount of work you have to do to open and close it on a car of this price point is another story...freakin thing costs as much as my performante spyder and the top does all sorts of magic on that one with the touch of a button!

I get it that perhaps it's supposed to be part of the "fun" of a speedster...but to me there is retro and then there is a PITA...this leans to the later.
I'm curious how it's operated. The top on my 997 is also a PITA. There's a few small strings that will get caught if you're not careful and will break when you fold it down. I've had to replace them twice already. And it rattles...
Old 04-23-2020, 02:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,495 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Here you go

beauty, enjoy in good healt

just love it down all the time, use your other steeds when weather is bad.
raclaims (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 05:19 AM
delta3
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
So many RS 4.0 owners in here!

Owning my small but proud collection of 997.2 GT3RS and 997.1 GT2 I love to have at least some idea of what these guys are talking about, and although I dream of RS 4.0 and GT2 RS equivalents of my cars, I also remember every day to be thankful for what I have. On the face of it we are all doing very well compared to so many out there, and seeing what is going on in the world right now makes me ever more thankful for what we have and the great community that we share together. Stay safe and healthy my brothers and sisters, and keep exercising these amazing Porsches that were made to be driven, not stored away in protective bubbles.
a-men!
Old 04-24-2020, 10:46 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by EMpunker
Interesting how they did the top on this one, kind of like the Boxster Spyder.
The Speedster top is directly from the 981 Gen-2 Spyder top. It's a get out of the car, pop up the trunk lid, 1-piece process that once you've done it a couple of times if comes pretty easy. The real "retro" PITA top is the Gen-1 987.2 Spyder, 2-piece top. It's a thing of beauty and so much more unique, IMO, and ingenious that these modern "poser" (streamers are for looks only) tops. In the Gen-1 Spyder the streamers are actually functional and when hooked onto the red hoops and the trunk lid dropped, are tensioned to spring the top into shape. You can also run with just the top on, with the 2-piece not installed for an airy open cabin, yet protected from the sun experience. Those of us who've had them, love them. That top requires a pit crew of two to do it fast but is a complete engineering marvel and really adds to the car. If you've ever rigged windsurfing sales or camping tents you'll have zero problems with it. All this being said, I saw the new 991.2 Speedster at the NY Auto Show this last year () and was absolutely taken aback by it. It is a stunning Porsche, and like with all the Spyders looks better with the top off.

P.s. With the two Gen-1 Spyders I've owned I drove 95% of the time with the top off and stored. Such a great little car, and like the RS unique and the final hurrah of the NA'd, Hydraulic Assisted Power Steering generation of Porsches.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:40 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
.... Those of us who've had them, love them. That top requires a pit crew of two to do it fast but is a complete engineering marvel and really adds to the car. If you've ever rigged windsurfing sales or camping tents you'll have zero problems with it. All this being said, I saw the new 991.2 Speedster at the NY Auto Show this last year () and was absolutely taken aback by it. It is a stunning Porsche, and like with all the Spyders looks better with the top off.
love that you love that top. I spent a weekend with that gen1 spyder top,... and I am in the PITA camp on that one. sure, I can agree with "engineering marvel", and definitely agree with the "tension brings functionality". But I am a driver, and bouncing back&forth like a jack rabbit for 10 minutes on the side of the road because the weather was changing,... well that's just not my cup of tea. please help get me back on the road quicker,... as with the new gen2

=Steve
Old 04-25-2020, 10:10 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
love that you love that top. I spent a weekend with that gen1 spyder top,... and I am in the PITA camp on that one. sure, I can agree with "engineering marvel", and definitely agree with the "tension brings functionality". But I am a driver, and bouncing back&forth like a jack rabbit for 10 minutes on the side of the road because the weather was changing,... well that's just not my cup of tea. please help get me back on the road quicker,... as with the new gen2

=Steve
Ha! Been there (rigging on the side of the road, under an overpass, as the rain pours down), done that and it's a bit of an experience. Personally, I was always tempted to leave the top pieces in the garage and only use it on clear days. It's that kind of Porsche. The cabin feels claustrophobic IMO with the top up. The 981 Spyder and the 991 Speedster definitely have made a jump in simplicity but lost "charm" in the process. Such is progress.

I'd love to see a two-piece targa, like the CGT, come back in the 718 or maybe even the 914 if Porsche produces that. That'd be cool wouldn't it?

Quick Reply: I love my RS4.0 more and more...