Help with Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 11:17 AM
Steven_S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Oil Leak

Hello Everyone,

I need some help with an oil leak on my 2010 GT3. Found a couple of spots on the floor after sitting this winter, so I cleaned the spots and engine to see how bad the leak was. This picture is after sitting for 4 days, not started, and garage temp around 45F:

Oil spots on floor

Leak on driver side cylinder bank

Oil leak at front of engine

The oil appears to be dripping from an external oil passage that runs along the side of the LH cylinder bank. Could not find any posts about this particular leak by searching the forums. Does anyone have experience with this leak and how to fix it? Any suggestions or advice are much appreciated. There was some residual oil in this area that I cleaned up when I changed the oil last fall, but never any drops or puddles. I'm really nervous about how bad this leak will be when the engine is running and warm. And the way it leaks onto the exhaust header is particularly alarming...

Best regards,

Steve
Old 04-03-2020, 11:46 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Clean, drive reinspect. You'll smell it if it gets on your exhaust.

If you can take a picture from further away to get a better perspective it could help.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:07 PM
Steven_S
Intermediate

Yessir, plan to do this today. I will get it up on jack stands to get some better pictures.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:15 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

I noticed the same thing on my C4S as I rolled her out of storage the other day ... Mine is just "sweating" in this area so I sent this pic to my friend who is a certified gold tech at Porsche and he said he see this often in this area after storage and said it most cases this is due to gasket / seals & mating surfaces contracting slightly due to colder weather and non use of the car. He said in most cases when the weather warms up a bit and you get a few good rides after spring this goes away .... He said if it does not then it will need to be brought in and checked out further.

Last edited by rileyracing1; 04-03-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:16 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 948 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_S
Hello Everyone,

I need some help with an oil leak on my 2010 GT3. Found a couple of spots on the floor after sitting this winter, so I cleaned the spots and engine to see how bad the leak was. This picture is after sitting for 4 days, not started, and garage temp around 45F:

Oil spots on floor

Leak on driver side cylinder bank

Oil leak at front of engine

The oil appears to be dripping from an external oil passage that runs along the side of the LH cylinder bank. Could not find any posts about this particular leak by searching the forums. Does anyone have experience with this leak and how to fix it? Any suggestions or advice are much appreciated. There was some residual oil in this area that I cleaned up when I changed the oil last fall, but never any drops or puddles. I'm really nervous about how bad this leak will be when the engine is running and warm. And the way it leaks onto the exhaust header is particularly alarming...

Best regards,

Steve

Let me take a guess from remote... item # 31 in image below. The rubber O-rings behind #29(Bank 1 cam actuator cover). IMO, it is good to have an idea of the layout of the parts but this should be checked out by a mechanic in person.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 04-04-2020, 05:57 PM
Steven_S
Intermediate

Did a bit more diagnostic work yesterday. Started the car and let it warm up completely in the driveway. No sign of significant leakage, so I went for a drive. Strangely, it seems to be leaking less after driving a while. It's leaking along the part that I "thought" was an external oil passage, but after looking at the parts diagrams I think it's the bottom of the valve cover.

Does anyone have experience replacing the valve cover gasket?
Old 12-07-2022, 03:06 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

The valve covers don’t have “gaskets” per se’ but sealant…
Old 12-09-2022, 03:17 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

First question that comes to mind, is if your oil is at the proper level-after a change, it should be 9.5 quarts. But the thread is 2 years old and there was no follow up-

JB

Quick Reply: Help with Oil Leak