Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New tires needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 01:27 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

if the car doesn't get driven much, why put an expensive, grippy tire on it? seems like a waste.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:22 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 143 Posts

Anyone have a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport 305/30/19 they wanna sell? Cant find any on Tire Rack or other sites.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:31 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon_
Anyone have a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport 305/30/19 they wanna sell? Cant find any on Tire Rack or other sites.
tire rack said May delivery...
The following users liked this post:
Finlander (03-09-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 12:09 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
if the car doesn't get driven much, why put an expensive, grippy tire on it? seems like a waste.
some might think that having such a capable car that doesn't get driven much is a waste, but we all do our own thing.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:52 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
some might think that having such a capable car that doesn't get driven much is a waste, but we all do our own thing.
That's the variety of life and what makes it so amazing.

If I had a car and didn't drive it much, I'd want to grippiest tire I could find to enjoy the car to it's fullest extent in the short time I spend with it.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:22 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I like the RE71s as a daily
Old 03-10-2020, 03:17 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
That's the variety of life and what makes it so amazing.

If I had a car and didn't drive it much, I'd want to grippiest tire I could find to enjoy the car to it's fullest extent in the short time I spend with it.
... agreed. And for those of us who have more than a couple fun cars to drive, the definition of "not driven much" is probably subjective, and different. If your definition is based on miles,... well,... I spread the miles out across multiple cars.

I measure my miles in smiles,... not how sticky my tires are.

Once I'm finished with the MPSC2's on my GT3, I'll probably move to PS4S ... more so because I'm a street driver, and sometimes get out early in the mornings, and even once into the twisty B roads, don't always get the heat up high enough in the Cup2's. I have also driven a full day in the rain on a weekend away (we do 2-3 day long weekend tour drives & stay at resorts).
... the Cup2's are kinda slippery in the rain

=S
Old 03-10-2020, 03:21 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I made the mistake of putting Nspec cups on my car and since I like to drive early in the am, it's been keeping me from venturing out with the cold weather. Hopefully the weather will warm up soon enough and I'll get her out.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:49 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I made the mistake of putting Nspec cups on my car and since I like to drive early in the am, it's been keeping me from venturing out with the cold weather. Hopefully the weather will warm up soon enough and I'll get her out.
n spec is a made up porsche speed rating
Old 03-10-2020, 04:23 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

may be true that Porsche provides their own set of compound requirements to Michelin, and then tests to ensure they meet their demands (which raises the pricing),... thus receiving the N spec rating,... but for me as a owner / driver,... the difference has been that my Porsche dealership has replaced N spec tires on my Cayenne Turbo for free, when I have suffered flats out on the road. They told me they would not have done that if I had not agreed to pay "slightly" more for their N spec. Of course I had to buy the other tire too so I could keep them both the same (new) on both sides. So they win a little bit there, but that is not their fault.

Plus I also got 10% discount off their dealership price, which was competitive with Tire Rack, AND it assured me that the date code on the new tires would be within 9 months!! That was bank for me. I've seen friends buy straight from Tire Rack and get 1.5 yr old tires.

So as cgfen & RAudi has said, we all have our own set of demands & priorities.

I just hope that by the time I need to order PS4S tires for the GT3, that they are not backordered so long. ouch.

=Steve
Old 03-10-2020, 05:24 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
tire rack said May delivery...
Not sure who you spoke to but I just called them and they said they are out of stock and never getting anymore.

I knew I should have ordered a set sooner, as I am aware they have been discontinued.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:58 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I know, but I learned that the Nspec doesn't have that ugly rim protection bead. Something I always hated on the 305 rear as it made the tire look super stretched. Took me a while to gather all the information to find out that to get rid of the bead, you have to get Nspec, so I spent the extra cash for it.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:03 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
may be true that Porsche provides their own set of compound requirements to Michelin, and then tests to ensure they meet their demands (which raises the pricing),... thus receiving the N spec rating,... but for me as a owner / driver,... the difference has been that my Porsche dealership has replaced N spec tires on my Cayenne Turbo for free, when I have suffered flats out on the road. They told me they would not have done that if I had not agreed to pay "slightly" more for their N spec. Of course I had to buy the other tire too so I could keep them both the same (new) on both sides. So they win a little bit there, but that is not their fault.

Plus I also got 10% discount off their dealership price, which was competitive with Tire Rack, AND it assured me that the date code on the new tires would be within 9 months!! That was bank for me. I've seen friends buy straight from Tire Rack and get 1.5 yr old tires.

So as cgfen & RAudi has said, we all have our own set of demands & priorities.

I just hope that by the time I need to order PS4S tires for the GT3, that they are not backordered so long. ouch.

=Steve

I had 4 Michelin Pilot 4S tires sitting at American's Tire and when my Cayenne was at the Porsche dealership, they said, "You need tires. We can sell you a set for a great price." They then gave me the price and I was like, "Amazing, lets do it. We putting on 4S?". They said, "No, we only install NSpec" I was surprised to see that they wouldn't even sell or install a tire if it wasn't Nspec. I left and America's tire shod the car a week later.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:43 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

ps4s for street driving on my RS
Old 03-13-2020, 02:22 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

I’m in the same boat. Ordered Michelin’s in Jan. First said delayed until 3/2/20. Now says 5/20/20. Not sure if I’ll wait for get Continentals. Just want a good street tire. Have NT01’s for DE events.

Quick Reply: New tires needed