Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dundon Motorsports - Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 01:25 PM
650kid
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Dundon Motorsports - Experience

In addition to everything you read on here about how great all their products are, I have to share a recent experience I had..

Back in late December I purchased a 997.2 GT3RS. Having done a bunch of research beforehand on the harmonic vibration and cam actuator stuff, I spoke with Jamie about ordering a dampener so I could have it installed as soon as the car arrived. To make a long story short after spending quite a bit of time hounding my local dealer about getting the car CPO'd, I was able to make it happen. Unfortunately the one hang up was that they would not CPO the car if they were to install the dampener. I spoke with Jamie about the situation, which took place almost three months after purchasing the dampener, and while it was never used he told me to ship it back to him for an immediate full refund. No questions asked, no restocking fee, nothing. Full refund months later. They're a first class operation and Jamie is a true gentleman.

- B

The following 2 users liked this post by 650kid:
monk46 (02-27-2020), RAudi Driver (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 04:09 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

Nice feedback on Dundon... If it were me, I would have had the car CPOd and then had an independent shop install the damper. I would then have it taken off if the car had to go in for warranty work. I'm not one for scamming warranties, but in this case you're genuinely trying to *avoid* a claim and protect your numbers matching investment (assuming the numbers match). I would guess if you do have an actuator failure under CPO they will scrap your original power unit.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:33 PM
650kid
Rennlist Member

The thought crossed my mind, but seemed like a lot of work and not worth the risk in the event I'm ever stuck on the side of the road. Yes the car is numbers matching, but in December a low mileage example that had a documented engine replacement still fetched a pretty penny on BAT ($176K - I had my eye on it). Lets hope it never comes to that. And if it does when the CPO runs out I'm sure I'll be on the phone with Jamie discussing upping the displacement =)
Old 02-28-2020, 08:42 PM
bsquare
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not surprised. I've had nothing but excellent service from everyone there, especially when things have gone wrong. Great folks.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:43 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 322 Posts

Although I'm local to them and definitely biased, I can tell you without a moment's hesitation that Jamie and Dundon are the real deal. Super customer focused and producing some of the most amazing parts and packages I've ever seen. That includes EVERY shop I've been to, and we live in a really great region for Porsche aftermarket support. Their legend is real and growing for good reason!
The following users liked this post:
bsquare (02-29-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 12:08 PM
d.n.d.
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is great to hear! I was planning on getting the dampener from them as well, so this definitely adds to my confidence in them.

650kid, so given the harmonic vibration issues, do you plan to just drive it as it sits now? I was planning to do the same as you (CPO it, then install the Dundon dampener)
Old 03-04-2020, 12:21 PM
650kid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by d.n.d.
That is great to hear! I was planning on getting the dampener from them as well, so this definitely adds to my confidence in them.

650kid, so given the harmonic vibration issues, do you plan to just drive it as it sits now? I was planning to do the same as you (CPO it, then install the Dundon dampener)
For the time being, yes. I've thought about having the dampener put on after the fact by an Indy but I don't want to give Porsche NA a single reason to deny a claim in the event I run into an issue. If something happened and I needed to be flat-bedded I don't want to be in the situation where the car needs to go to an Indy first to swap it back before going to the dealer. Annoying but..
Old 03-04-2020, 12:25 PM
d.n.d.
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 650kid
For the time being, yes. I've thought about having the dampener put on after the fact by an Indy but I don't want to give Porsche NA a single reason to deny a claim in the event I run into an issue. If something happened and I needed to be flat-bedded I don't want to be in the situation where the car needs to go to an Indy first to swap it back before going to the dealer. Annoying but..
Ah, I see. Yeah that is true, that sounds like a massive hassle trucking it from one garage to another. I wonder if other members on here ran into the same issue with their dealer.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:34 PM
650kid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by d.n.d.
Ah, I see. Yeah that is true, that sounds like a massive hassle trucking it from one garage to another. I wonder if other members on here ran into the same issue with their dealer.
It's very unlikely that it's a common issue seeing as our cars are approaching that 10+ year old mark. Almost impossible to get CPO'd from Porsche NA.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:17 PM
d.n.d.
8th Gear

It's very unlikely that it's a common issue seeing as our cars are approaching that 10+ year old mark. Almost impossible to get CPO'd from Porsche NA.
Oh I see, ok good to know!
Old 03-04-2020, 03:16 PM
silviaks
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

What is the process to get a car like ours CPO'd, and how much does it cost?
Old 03-04-2020, 04:39 PM
650kid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silviaks
What is the process to get a car like ours CPO'd, and how much does it cost?
I would guess anywhere from $4-7K for a 2 year/50,000 miles CPO - but that's ONLY IF you can find a Porsche dealer that is willing to push it through for you. Money is usually not the issue. It's difficult to get it on a car this old unless you purchased the car from a Porsche dealer that CPO'd it for the sale. Also keep in mind my car only has 11K miles on it too. You may get lucky if you shop it to a few of your local dealers. I can't give particulars on my situation as it was an enormous favor being a long time customer of theirs and them being a long time customer of mine. I was explicitly told not to repeat who pushed it through Porsche NA for me.

Quick Reply: Dundon Motorsports - Experience