Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Mixing front PCCB with Rear steel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 02:04 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 321 Posts

Great information @RAudi Driver , thank you!
Old 03-02-2020, 01:48 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Unless you really do want to road race, don't worry too much about it. My 2010 GT3 RS has 'dead' rotors all around, meaning all show the wear circles...and have for about 7 years now. For street driving, it's not a problem whatsoever. For track driving, it is no longer considered safe. My PCCB rotors have 67k miles on them and still work splendidly on the street, and my car is on it's third set of brake pads with the original discs.

People do occasionally mix CCB fronts and iron rear discs, but I've only seen it done for straight line racing and on the R35 GT-R platform, not 911s. I agree that it's not wise to do, and do not recommend mixing them.
This. Unless you are tracking the car dont worry about it.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:41 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 290 Posts

Here is some more info from Porsche:
8.5. PCCB brake disk information
The PCCB brake discs require careful handling, they are very sensitive to mechanical influences such as, for example, knocks from the wheel when fitting tyres or damage which can occur when cleaning the ventilation holes with a drill bit.
Mechanically damaged brake disks must be replaced. The PCCB brake disc wear can only be assessed by weight loss, and not, however, by the reduction of the brake disc thickness. The wear indicators on the brake disc are not relevant for use when racing. Precision weighing scales are recommended to weight the brake discs. The weights should be documented together with mileage. To guarantee precise documentation of the brake discs the new weight of the brake discs and a sequential number are engraved on the disc bell.
The brake disc weight loss must not exceed 100 g from the new weight. If the weight loss exceeds 100 g the brake disc is worn out.
The brake discs must be free of brake dust, rubber particles and other dirt before weighing in order to make an accurate assessment of the wear. The brake discs must not be taken apart. The PCCB brake disc must be carefully bedded-in when new in order to achieve a long lifetime and high brake performance. A brake disc temperature of 250° C must not be exceeded. The brake disc surface aspect changes from matt to shiny after bedding-in. It should be noted that all four brake discs are bedded-in evenly on the car. To achieve even bedding-in slightly more brake force must be set to the rear axle.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:28 AM
FredtheFrog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
What a great source of information you are!
Thank you for all your replies, special one to RAudi Driver for the documentation.

I suspect that the mechanics from Porsche Centers are not all well trained for PCCB application.
My rear discs are shinny and smooth with no surface damage but the little 2 cents rounds wear indicators appear. => They recomended to change the set of discs!

My front pads are totally worn and not parralel to the disc. The down side of the pad is gone (mean i'm on the steel plate!) while the upper side still has 6 mm of pad material remaining.
Should i suspect a problem on the caliper or it is normal?

Based on all your comments i will keep the full PCCB set on the car.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:02 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

sounds like you have a stuck upper piston(s) within your caliper
Old 03-03-2020, 12:34 PM
FredtheFrog
AutoX

Originally Posted by bweSteve
sounds like you have a stuck upper piston(s) within your caliper
This is my advice too .. i will check with the other wheel.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:35 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

The uneven pads are normal, usually you should check and flip them every 5-10k miles.

Here are a pic of a set .2PCCB that I have with 2k miles on them. You can see the dime size indicators...

Originally Posted by FredtheFrog
Hi guys,
What a great source of information you are!
Thank you for all your replies, special one to RAudi Driver for the documentation.

I suspect that the mechanics from Porsche Centers are not all well trained for PCCB application.
My rear discs are shinny and smooth with no surface damage but the little 2 cents rounds wear indicators appear. => They recomended to change the set of discs!

My front pads are totally worn and not parralel to the disc. The down side of the pad is gone (mean i'm on the steel plate!) while the upper side still has 6 mm of pad material remaining.
Should i suspect a problem on the caliper or it is normal?

Based on all your comments i will keep the full PCCB set on the car.
The following users liked this post:
FredtheFrog (03-11-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 12:50 PM
sleshnyc
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Unless you really do want to road race, don't worry too much about it. My 2010 GT3 RS has 'dead' rotors all around, meaning all show the wear circles...and have for about 7 years now. For street driving, it's not a problem whatsoever. For track driving, it is no longer considered safe. My PCCB rotors have 67k miles on them and still work splendidly on the street, and my car is on it's third set of brake pads with the original discs.

People do occasionally mix CCB fronts and iron rear discs, but I've only seen it done for straight line racing and on the R35 GT-R platform, not 911s. I agree that it's not wise to do, and do not recommend mixing them.
You've gone through 3 sets of pccb brake pads in 67k miles? Isn't one set rated for at least that?
Old 03-03-2020, 01:13 PM
FredtheFrog
AutoX

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
The uneven pads are normal, usually you should check and flip them every 5-10k miles.

Here are a pic of a set .2PCCB that I have with 2k miles on them. You can see the dime size indicators...

This is really interesting!
Mine are in the same conditions. With 30KKm on them and the Porsche guy recommended to change them ...
Old 03-04-2020, 07:57 PM
PCCBLOVER
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have a set of PCCB's for sale

PM Me if interested

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1169991
Old 03-04-2020, 09:33 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

996 pccb's are gen 1 composition and 350mm, 997 are second generation and 380mm. You can also tell by the veins and hole patterns when comparing 996 to 997 pccb's.

Great price though for someone with a 996.

Originally Posted by PCCBLOVER
i have a set of PCCB's for sale

PM Me if interested

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1169991

Last edited by FLT6SPD; 03-04-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:26 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by sleshnyc
You've gone through 3 sets of pccb brake pads in 67k miles? Isn't one set rated for at least that?
I bought the car 7 years ago with 59k miles on it and have the service records. This is the third set of brake pads but still the original discs. The car was on track a few times in its life before I bought it, so that may have accelerated brake wear considerably.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:17 AM
gek991s
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Movit ceramic brake discs specifically for the 997 GT2 https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1174674

Quick Reply: Mixing front PCCB with Rear steel?