Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone using Cobb AP on their 997.1 GT2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
did you do the dragy 60 to 130 yet?
Sadly, this time of year is all about rain here near Seattle. I've been learning to use my Dragy on my slowest car (a stock Lexus IS300) and have found it to be quite easy to use. But, until there is a reasonably clear day that I can take the car out without much traffic on the road, it will remain elusive.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:22 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoo
Hi Steve,

You might want to reach out to the guys at Dyno Spectrum in Torrance, CA if you end up with an accessport. They are ex-Cobb guys (and own GT cars themselves) and might have developed something a little "hotter" for the GT2 which could be uploaded to your accessport.

https://www.dynospectrum.com/

Ryan
the guys at dyno spectrum wrote the cobb tune while working at cobb. they do a custom tune using the accessport and get a more refined powerband and a nice bump in power as well. they are local to me here in LA and I probably will go that route in a few months with my car

quote from them to me last week:

"Dyno Spectrum & M-Engineering are actually comprised of the old core group of Porsche engineers from COBB so we are able to give you some pretty good insight on the calibrations. We created them all from the 996 Turbo to 991.2 Turbo while at COBB along with all the 981, 718, Carrera, & GT3 maps before leaving in March of 2019.

The OTS calibrations are designed as a more one size fits all because it was designed to cover a wide spectrum. They make solid power out of the box but when tuning a particular car on a particular octane there is generally always a bit of fine tuning to be had and power that can be gained. That is why the ability to custom tune is also available with the AP. If you are looking for a calibration that is really dialed in for your particular 997.1 Turbo, we can keep tabs on everything via datalogging and dial in the tune for ACN91 fuel to achieve the most power while mitigating knock and ignition corrections."
Old 01-06-2020, 10:43 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Thanks buddy! Since I live so close to the wizards at Dundon Motorsports I think all I'm going to do is:

1. Measure baseline performance
2. Apply OTS GT2 tune
3. Measure tuned OTS performance
4. Get custom tune from Dundon
5. Measure tuned Dundon performance

I have a feeling that's as fast as I'll need/want my GT2 to be...at least for quite some time.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:54 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

I think I'm in the same boat as you. Thought about it, but ultimately decided that with so few of our cars in existence, it does not make much sense to go crazy with the mods above and beyond a good quality proven tune, as a decent bit of power was apparently left on the table by the factory in the'08-'09 cars.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:26 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
I think I'm in the same boat as you. Thought about it, but ultimately decided that with so few of our cars in existence, it does not make much sense to go crazy with the mods above and beyond a good quality proven tune, as a decent bit of power was apparently left on the table by the factory in the'08-'09 cars.
The only material difference from the '08/'09 GT2s and the GT2RS is the intercoolers so if you fit 100 cell cats and GT2RS intercoolers you should be able to get up to the 620PS/700NM of the GT2RS.

What messes it up for most tunes is that they go for more torque lower in the rev range which means more boost and more hot air which ultimately overheats the system and makes 620PS not possible, if you stick to 700NM max you will get near the 620PS level
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 09:29 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mchrono
These cars are rare enough that I agree it's not really worth monkeying around too much. That and I really do enjoy the car as it sits so just feel a little bit of a boost would be enough.

Originally Posted by TB993tt
The only material difference from the '08/'09 GT2s and the GT2RS is the intercoolers so if you fit 100 cell cats and GT2RS intercoolers you should be able to get up to the 620PS/700NM of the GT2RS.

What messes it up for most tunes is that they go for more torque lower in the rev range which means more boost and more hot air which ultimately overheats the system and makes 620PS not possible, if you stick to 700NM max you will get near the 620PS level
Thanks, some very good points there for sure. It is my goal to enhance it to roughly GT2 RS factory levels so that sounds like a good strategy to me.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Cobb AP on their 997.1 GT2?