Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone using Cobb AP on their 997.1 GT2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 08:50 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Anyone using Cobb AP on their 997.1 GT2?

Hey guys,

I picked up a new Cobb AP for my 997.1 GT2 a few months ago but was waiting to speak with my tuner prior to installing it. Yesterday I was down at my tuner's shop and had my first conversation with them about it. In their words, I should go ahead and install the Cobb and feel confident with both Stage 0 (so I can data log) and also Stage 1 (which is reputed to be very solid and safe, providing I'm using top tier fuel of course). My only concern if I'm going to do the flash myself is I wanted to get some reasonable baseline data just so I'd be able to quantify the results. It's always good to get before and after readings.

For anyone else here using Cobb AP with the OTS Stage 1 tune on their 997.1 GT2 can you give me an idea of what to expect? I did have my car dyno tested this past summer on a DynoJet and it did 490 rwhp stock, which I felt seemed like a healthy number. Are you guys using devices like the Dragy to measure your acceleration times before/after modifications? I'd like some ability to measure in-car acceleration that is accurate and repeatable, and haven't really done much of that before, so ideas are welcome.

Thanks all!

GT2
Old 12-15-2019, 10:44 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 358 Likes on 200 Posts

Likely going to have to wait until spring until the roads are dry, and with a manual, you'll need to get your shifting consistent etc... so as not to influence the data.

We have dragy's on our website, should have told me you were looking for one would have let you take one on Saturday!

Jamie
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 10:54 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Too funny that you're the one to see and reply to my thread! I love it! I didn't know you guys had Dragy's handy and wouldn't have thought to ask...hahaha!
Old 12-16-2019, 08:01 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

I had it on my 08 GT2 .it was great
Old 12-16-2019, 08:15 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 423 Likes on 263 Posts

I had a Cobb AP on my GT-R. It was a convenient way to flash tunes and read and reset trouble codes, pus a few other functions. Id venture to say that the vast majority of US .1 GT2s that wound up getting OTS tunes were probably done by EVOMS or Protomotive. Not knowing any better, assuming Cobb's OTS gains about the same as the others, you should expect around 540-550 to the wheels. Would be interested to hear your results.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:58 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roketman
I had it on my 08 GT2 .it was great
Thanks buddy, were you ever able to quantify your gains in any way? Meaning, dyno or drag or something else? Did you use their standard OTS tune or did you get custom tuning specific for your car/region/mods?

Originally Posted by mchrono
I had a Cobb AP on my GT-R. It was a convenient way to flash tunes and read and reset trouble codes, pus a few other functions. Id venture to say that the vast majority of US .1 GT2s that wound up getting OTS tunes were probably done by EVOMS or Protomotive. Not knowing any better, assuming Cobb's OTS gains about the same as the others, you should expect around 540-550 to the wheels. Would be interested to hear your results.
I appreciate it. I did own a Cobb AP v3 on my old 2007 STi and remember it being very convenient to use. I did enjoy having it, but I've never used it on any Porsche specific application so this will be my first time with it here.

I plan to invest in a Dragy first and run quite a few third and fourth gear pulls as I can over time. Then, after establishing some sort of baseline over days of testing, I'll put the Cobb AP on and run some similar tests. My hope is that by doing single gear pulls I can get a fairly consistent baseline for what the car is doing now, and then I'll do the same after the flash. Although I'm sure my butt dyno will think it's faster, I'd definitely like to get at least some form of instrumented results as I rarely dyno the car. I appreciate your response!
Old 12-18-2019, 12:42 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Thanks buddy, were you ever able to quantify your gains in any way? Meaning, dyno or drag or something else? Did you use their standard OTS tune or did you get custom tuning specific for your car/region/mods?

I appreciate it. I did own a Cobb AP v3 on my old 2007 STi and remember it being very convenient to use. I did enjoy having it, but I've never used it on any Porsche specific application so this will be my first time with it here.

I plan to invest in a Dragy first and run quite a few third and fourth gear pulls as I can over time. Then, after establishing some sort of baseline over days of testing, I'll put the Cobb AP on and run some similar tests. My hope is that by doing single gear pulls I can get a fairly consistent baseline for what the car is doing now, and then I'll do the same after the flash. Although I'm sure my butt dyno will think it's faster, I'd definitely like to get at least some form of instrumented results as I rarely dyno the car. I appreciate your response!
Hi Steve,

You might want to reach out to the guys at Dyno Spectrum in Torrance, CA if you end up with an accessport. They are ex-Cobb guys (and own GT cars themselves) and might have developed something a little "hotter" for the GT2 which could be uploaded to your accessport.

https://www.dynospectrum.com/

Ryan

Old 12-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by voodoo
Hi Steve,

You might want to reach out to the guys at Dyno Spectrum in Torrance, CA if you end up with an accessport. They are ex-Cobb guys (and own GT cars themselves) and might have developed something a little "hotter" for the GT2 which could be uploaded to your accessport.

https://www.dynospectrum.com/

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, that's very kind of you to steer me their way. I do have the Cobb already, so I'll see what they have to say that could help.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:27 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks Ryan, that's very kind of you to steer me their way. I do have the Cobb already, so I'll see what they have to say that could help.
Anytime. Ask if they have an E85 tune
Old 12-21-2019, 03:04 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I don't have a clue but that GT2 looks awesome - good luck and enjoy!
Old 12-21-2019, 03:36 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,049 Posts

I'm using Cobb Steve. It's been great. Safe 91 octane map at 19psi puts 730 to the wheels along with 700 tq. The Accesport is very handy but the logging rate is pretty slow which is my only gripe. On a stock block 3.6 you should see roughly 550 whp with an exhaust. I would not do an OTS tune but rather a custom tune based on provided logs. We went though 12 versions to get the tune just right.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 10:54 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I'm using Cobb Steve. It's been great. Safe 91 octane map at 19psi puts 730 to the wheels along with 700 tq. The Accesport is very handy but the logging rate is pretty slow which is my only gripe. On a stock block 3.6 you should see roughly 550 whp with an exhaust. I would not do an OTS tune but rather a custom tune based on provided logs. We went though 12 versions to get the tune just right.
Thank you my friend! I did receive a Dragy for Christmas and I plan to do a bit of data logging of my GT2 in single gear pulls prior to applying the tune. I can indeed get a custom tune by Charles at Dundon Motorsports!
Old 12-29-2019, 01:26 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Thank you my friend! I did receive a Dragy for Christmas and I plan to do a bit of data logging of my GT2 in single gear pulls prior to applying the tune. I can indeed get a custom tune by Charles at Dundon Motorsports!
4th gear pulls is what you want for logs. Not really safe to do on the street however...
Old 12-29-2019, 02:48 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
4th gear pulls is what you want for logs. Not really safe to do on the street however...
Yup, I do plan to use higher gears such as 4th, and the good thing about Dragy is that I can do whatever distance I want. Let's see what I can come up with over time.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:59 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 790 Posts

Yup, I do plan to use higher gears such as 4th, and the good thing about Dragy is that I can do whatever distance I want. Let's see what I can come up with over time.
did you do the dragy 60 to 130 yet?

Quick Reply: Anyone using Cobb AP on their 997.1 GT2?